• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Ros wouldn't bother me if I hadn't read the books, but knowing she's a creation of the show that (so far) exists for literally no reason other than the HBO tits and ass requirement, it's hard to not be constantly annoyed by her existence.

Speaking of nudity/sex, why even bother having her in that scene doing the "instructing" thing again? Why not have the baby's mom in the middle of doin' in as the guards rush in and take the baby? Seems like that would have actually added to the "horror" of it, instead of just some random unrelated fucking thrown in beforehand.

gutshot

And the only thing I would've left off from the Ros scene was the sex training from the beginning of the scene . Not that I'm a prude, but they already did that kind of scene in Season 1 and this time it really didn't bring anything even remotely important into the show (you can at least argue there's some meaning in Littlefinger's one, no matter how badly done it was). It almost feels like they went all "hey, we just HAVE to have one sex scene in the episode, it's HBO after all!"

I think the intent was to show that Ros has been promoted and is basically running the brothel for Littlefinger.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Mellisandre:
''Stars will bleed.
The cold breath of winter will freeze the seas.
And the dead shall rise in the North.''

I hope all of this comes to fruition this season. Two out of three are already in effect.

Peru

The more I think about it, the more I disliked the episode.

That scene between Cersei and Littlefinger was particularly bad.

I get the point of it but it was just written shittily.

I personally think it's the most impressive feat of the showmakers so far. The amount of plot packed in this episode without any scene coming off like exposition for exposition's sake, and with the episode flowing much more smoothly than last season's opener, that's a huge accomplishment. Very beautifully shot by Taylor and his men as well, and the comet link worked wonders in adding a cohesive atmosphere and mood to the world.

apana

From the season 2: weeks ahead trailer
Was that a real orange/brown wolf? I presume it was meant to be Bran's dire wolf, Summer. It looks beautiful, especially the eyes. I'm assuming Robb's wolf was real as well, what did they do with the CGI? They just made the wolf bigger? I remember that Grey Wind was almost glowing so you could tell special effects had been used.

Dresden

Was that a real orange/brown wolf? I presume it was meant to be Bran's dire wolf, Summer. It looks beautiful, especially the eyes. I'm assuming Robb's wolf was real as well, what did they do with the CGI? They just made the wolf bigger? I remember that Grey Wind was almost glowing so you could tell special effects had been used.

Pretty sure Robb's wolf was entirely CG.

gutshot

Shot them against a green screen and composited them into the shot. Allows them to use real wolves plus they can easily increase their size relative to the rest of the shot.

f0rk

Maybe Ros wouldn't bother me if I hadn't read the books, but knowing she's a creation of the show that (so far) exists for literally no reason other than the HBO tits and ass requirement, it's hard to not be constantly annoyed by her existence.

Didn't that brothel have the mistress as a minor character in the books? I think she's probably going to fit in better than the first season.

Famassu

That is... controversial.
She isn't the wisest one on Westeros (especially when she lets her temper to get the best of her), but she isn't completely ignorant of what is happening. She just thinks she is better at playing the game than she really is (as in, pretty much everything she does ends up coming back to haunt her later on due to her not thinking things through).

gdt

Woooooooooooooooooooooh! That was fucking excellent, and this is coming from someone who liked the first season, but didn't love it (though it got better and better every episode). Damn. So psyched.

I personally think it's the most impressive feat of the showmakers so far. The amount of plot packed in this episode without any scene coming off like exposition for exposition's sake, and with the episode flowing much more smoothly than last season's opener, that's a huge accomplishment. Very beautifully shot by Taylor and his men as well, and the comet link worked wonders in adding a cohesive atmosphere and mood to the world.

I don't think they needed to set up everything in 1 episode.

They could have had the episode 1/2 Dragonstone, 1/4 King's Landing, 1/4 "The North".
Shown nothing from Beyond the Wall or Arya, etc.

It just needed to be more focused.

Like some good wine, give the plot some time to breathe.

Raist

Banned
Maybe if the books were like 20 pages long I'd agree but this suggested approach completely disregards what I'd imagine are the majority of cases: those still making their way through the series in print.

What's wrong with them using the no spoiler thread, seriously?

Anyway, just watched the first episode. Felt like a bit of a clusterfuck. That's a bit worrying given that things will get even messier in the next books.

What's wrong with them using the no spoiler thread, seriously?

For someone like me, who has read all of the books except for ADWD, this kind of thread works perfectly. I avoid the All Book Spoilers thread at all costs, and the No Spoilers thread is mostly amusement because they are talking about their hopes and dreams and I know what's going to happen. I can't participate at all in that thread.

Considering that a great number of people are in a position similar to mine, having read some amount of the books but not all, but still know everything that will happen this season, makes this kind of thread invaluable.

Balehead

Seems like Littlefinger is going to have the best scenes in season 2 as well, I really dig the actor and the character he plays. They got me with the big twist in season 1 and hopefully there's more to come, should have watched the season 1 to prepare for this one but it's too late now. I wish there was less sex, feels so out of place sometimes. Yeah, this is supposed to be dark and grim and realistic etc. but still...

bengraven

For someone like me, who has read all of the books except for ADWD, this kind of thread works perfectly. I avoid the All Book Spoilers thread at all costs, and the No Spoilers thread is mostly amusement because they are talking about their hopes and dreams and I know what's going to happen. I can't participate at all in that thread.

Considering that a great number of people are in a position similar to mine, having read some amount of the books but not all, but still know everything that will happen this season, makes this kind of thread invaluable.

I remember last year people wanted to make multiple threads because some had read 1 book, some 2, some all but the last one, etc. So basically there would be four threads dedicated to "Only up to Clash", "only up to SOS", "Feast", "DWD". Basically shot down because it was ridiculous and also because someone said "What if I'm only halfway through a book...".

big ander

Maybe if the books were like 20 pages long I'd agree but this suggested approach completely disregards what I'd imagine are the majority of cases: those still making their way through the series in print.

Exactly. There are a whole lot of people at all different places along the spoiler continuum and fragmenting them results in a lot of dead topics. This thread works great for nearly everyone as long as tags are used.

apana

There is a Song of Ice and Fire unmarked spoiler thread so you can probably discuss the television show in there without having to mark spoilers. You should only post in that thread if you have completed all five books.

Dragon

Banned
So Arya has the second most POV in A Clash of Kings and I see literally 10 seconds of her character on screen in the first episode. Honestly what the fuck. Her growth in the second book is what made reading it such a great experience.

JerkShep

I don't think they needed to set up everything in 1 episode.

They could have had the episode 1/2 Dragonstone, 1/4 King's Landing, 1/4 "The North".
Shown nothing from Beyond the Wall or Arya, etc.

It just needed to be more focused.

Like some good wine, give the plot some time to breathe.

Man, last season they had problem of pacing with 4-5 storylines. I think they did a good job considering this time they have 8 or so. I hope some of the characters won't appear every episode though, but I think that will be the case since I can't see how some of them can be streched on a 10 episode arc.

apana

major series spoiler (ASOS):
I want them to build up Robb's awesomeness because it will be a big moment when he gets stabbed in the heart and they cut Grey Wind's head off and attach it to Robb's body. I want all the viewers to feel the pain, will be a great television moment.

big ander

So Arya has the second most POV in A Clash of Kings and I see literally 10 seconds of her character on screen in the first episode. Honestly what the fuck. Her growth in the second book is what made reading it such a great experience.

I've not read the books, but if the tag to the first episode didn't signal that she'd be a major focus from here on out then I don't know what the hell it meant.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
major series spoiler (ASOS):
I want them to build up Robb's awesomeness because it will be a big moment when he gets stabbed in the heart and they cut Grey Wind's head off and attach it to Robb's body. I want all the viewers to feel the pain, will be a great television moment.

ASoS
I highly doubt they would show the wolf head being attached to the body. It'll be mentioned in conversation when people talk about the Red Wedding, but no way will that actually be a scene on the show.

Famassu

They moved some of her early ACOK parts from Season 2 to Season 1, didn't they? Plus I think this was a perfect S2 intro for her, I though it added plenty of tension to hear how the Gold Cloaks found out about Gendry, which would also lead them to Arya (and the final scene showing Arya kind of on the run)

gdt

Numerous scenes were spent talking about how important she was, and other scenes were spent building up Gendry. It's certainly not like they've forgotten her.

apana

ASoS
I highly doubt they would show the wolf head being attached to the body. It'll be mentioned in conversation when people talk about the Red Wedding, but no way will that actually be a scene on the show.

Warning highlight at your own risk:

What I want them to show is (ASOS)
the Frey people capturing Grey Wind and cutting its head off and laughing while they do it. The final shot of episode 3 will be a body and attached to it, a wolf's head with a crown.

Aiii

So not worth it
Numerous scenes were spent talking about how important she was, and other scenes were spent building up Gendry. It's certainly not like they've forgotten her.

Plus they did move the first Arya part of CoK to last seasons final ep.

Man, last season they had problem of pacing with 4-5 storylines. I think they did a good job considering this time they have 8 or so. I hope some of the characters won't appear every episode though, but I think that will be the case since I can't see how some of them can be streched on a 10 episode arc.
Give them more episodes?

Danielsan

Thought the episode was pretty excellent, though it was clearly an episode made to set everything up again.

I had one huge annoyance though, which is Caries van Houten as Melisandre. I could totally hear here Dutch accent at every turn. Completely took me out of it.

Looks badass.

UOvpl.jpg

Spoilers for next week's episode.

Click here if you want to see a certain "ghostly" companion we didn't see episode 1. Looks wonderful.

Awesome, looks great. I'm guessing (series)
they're still using a dog because Ghost isn't that big? I'm still on ASOS but it's not a big deal to learn more about the direwolves. As the runt of the litter, does he ever get as large as Grey Wind, Summer or Shaggydog?

So I had mentioned this in the other thread before realizing they throw a shit fit for book stuff...

But I was curious, I recall from the CoK prologue,
the maester poisons Melisandre's cup when she wasn't looking and then he drinks his cup and thats when he realizes that he drank the poison instead
... did I misread that scene? Did it happen like the show where they drink out of the same cup? The scene didn't make as much sense to me in the show as it did in the book.... i don't recall that from the book at all..

Awesome, looks great. I'm guessing (series)
they're still using a dog because Ghost isn't that big? I'm still on ASOS but it's not a big deal to learn more about the direwolves. As the runt of the litter, does he ever get as large as Grey Wind, Summer or Shaggydog?

I dunno, that looks pretty gigantic, no? Like up to that person's chest.

So I had mentioned this in the other thread before realizing they throw a shit fit for book stuff...

the maester poisons Melisandre's cup when she wasn't looking and then he drinks his cup and thats when he realizes that he drank the poison instead
... did I misread that scene? Did it happen like the show where they drink out of the same cup? It just didn't make sense to me why the maestre drank out of the same glass... i don't recall that from the book at all..

I think they drank the same cup.

Ill have to reread it i guess. I just remember it making more sense, unless it was something as simple as He drank the antidote before hand and i misread it as they drank from seperate cups.

... did I misread that scene? Did it happen like the show where they drink out of the same cup? The scene didn't make as much sense to me in the show as it did in the book.... i don't recall that from the book at all..

It was the same. They drank out of the same cup.

stupei

I think the intent was to show that Ros has been promoted and is basically running the brothel for Littlefinger.

Yeah, this. It's almost line for line exactly what Littlefinger said to her about "how ridiculous you sound." It's to show that she's adapted to King's Landing and wised up to city ways, unlike most of the characters we've seen come from the north, and that she's trusted to take on leadership duties while Littlefinger's away.

I'm not a huge fan of the performance or the character, but I don't think cutting out about 20 seconds of dialogue would somehow improve the scene. The call-back was fine as is.

He toasts her from the same cup,
willing to die for what he believes is the good cause of saving Stannis from Melisandre's influence
. Wasn't made clear at all in the show, though. (Not even sure if that COUNTS as a spoiler since it's unclear if we were meant to GET that from the scene or if it will be illuminated later... though I have no idea how that would be possible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom