• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brera

Banned
I'm disappointed by milisandra, stannis and davos.

Milisandra looked the part but didn't sound mysterious enough and I always pictured her as uber sexy.

Stannis was too small. I imagined an angry robert that is still in shape.

Davos looked the part but seemed a bit too quiet.

Early days I suppose.

Milisandra looked the part but didn't sound mysterious enough and I always pictured her as uber sexy.

Early days I suppose.

Melissandre looked pretty much how I expected and was Uber Sexy IMO. She was mysterious enough for the Non-Book Watchers.

Stannis is exactly how I imagined him in my head.

I always imagined Davos as being younger but the actor played the part just right. Davis always came off as a bit quiet to me. More thought than action at times.

Magnus

I'll have to see more of them, but I'm going to be in the minority a bit here and declare my slight disappointment as well with Stannis and Melisandre's casting. They were definitely 'better in motion' as many others have put it, and I enjoyed Stannis' personality on full display in the scene where he was verbally editing the letter. I attribute most of what I enjoyed there to the writing and not the actor's performance though.

And yeah, I definitely pictured a far sexier, more sultry and more confident Melisandre. The details in the costume and writing were all dead-on. I just don't feel the same spark from the actress that I do from the character.

Stannis I imagined as a more imposing man. You could have shown me a still from Stannis' council chamber in Dragonstone last month and I would have guessed that the actor playing Davos was Stannis, and vice versa (black hair aside).

Early days I suppose.

I came to post the exact same thing.
Milisandra needs to be much sexier and mysterious.

Bedazzled%20Wallpaper%201.jpg

Not exactly but you get the point.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Want to see more of this Davos character. Like the actor in other movies.

The line "what is the truth" + carrying the sword on his shoulder, just feels a bit like badassery to me.

My main gripe with the premiere is the fact that they stuck the prologue in the middle of the episode. Just like the books, introducing these new characters BEFORE returning to the old ones is a far more effective way of showing you who they are, what role they play in the world, and making you give a shit.

The choice to start with the scene with Sir Dontos was kind of weird, and I was really expecting them to do the prologue scene as a cold opening. I was surprised and a little disappointed when I started the episode on HBO Go and it went straight into the opening sequence. Introducing Davos, Melisandre and Stannis halfway through took a lot of momentum out of the episode, and if I hadn't read the books I'd be wondering why they took me out of all the other things going on to show me these characters I've never seen before.

I like how Joffrey has surrounded himself with such shitheads that they know when he says "give him something to drink" he actually means "drown him with a barrel of wine and a funnel." This can't backfire at all.

I think they drank the same cup.

I'm pretty sure they did, but didn't Melisandre drink first? And then Cressen was thinking, "Oh shit, how is she not dead yet?" And then since it was a toast, she made him drink it too. So he knew he was screwed.

That's the way I remember it. But for some reason he drank first in the show, which didn't make as much sense to me. Even if she doesn't have any special powers, she could see him dying before she drinks and his plan fails anyway.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Forgot to mention, the casting of Dontos was spot on.

So were we! Spot on!

Also Melissandre casting is a bit weak so far. And the wig is pretty bad. Same with Craster. I imagined he was much more hideous and older.

Odd that they swapped Catelyn and Robb in the cage scene but I guess Robb needs some screen time.

And as said above, didn't Melisandre drink first in the book? Which is why he had to drink second? He seems more valiant in the show though, drinking first.

bengraven

I'm pretty sure they did, but didn't Melisandre drink first? And then Cressen was thinking, "Oh shit, how is she not dead yet?" And then since it was a toast, she made him drink it too. So he knew he was screwed.

That's the way I remember it. But for some reason he drank first in the show, which didn't make as much sense to me. Even if she doesn't have any special powers, she could see him dying before she drinks and his plan fails anyway.

Yeah, for a second it makes you think she's not going to drink. I was actually nearly yelling at my screen because if she didn't drink it would be a copout and wouldn't show that she actually has powers. In the TV show they seem to make it look like Cresson was basically sacrificing himself to get rid of her because he drank first and was waiting for her to drink, whereas the book it was straight up murder and he never planned on drinking himself.

Loved how badass she was when she finally did drink.

It was like the GOT version of this:

tumblr_m19ll8GtUK1rs5pmyo1_r1_500.gif

I love their casting of Melisandre by the way. I still pictured younger, if only because GRRM said her age was timeless, but my god she's smoking hot. I love the breathy voice as well.

I really wish we got more of Davos, other than two scenes. People new to this need to fall in love with the Onion Knight as much as we readers did. Right now he's kind of a quiet sidekick to Stannis.

bengraven

Robb and Catelyn are so perfectly cast.

I love series Robb much more than the book Robb. I like him older and even when he's not sure of himself, you want to be like "it's cool, Robb, you can do it". Reading the books where he's still a 15 year old and he doubts himself you start thinking "ugh, this kid needs to go home". At least until he gets to about this point in Clash and starts winning.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Every single person on this show has been well cast imo.
Did anyone else love Bran in this episode? Watching the poor kid drag himself on the ground just to get to the pond, was saddening. And also how wise the character seems for his age. Such a great character.

Every single person on this show has been well cast imo.
Did anyone else love Bran in this episode? Watching the poor kid drag himself on the ground just to get to the pond, was saddening. And also how wise the character seems for his age. Such a great character.

Yeah Bran is excellent.

I love series Robb much more than the book Robb. I like him older and even when he's not sure of himself, you want to be like "it's cool, Robb, you can do it". Reading the books where he's still a 15 year old and he doubts himself you start thinking "ugh, this kid needs to go home". At least until he gets to about this point in Clash and starts winning.

(Book 3)
Me too which means I am going to have to be on suicide watch during S3.

I demand more scenes with Robb and Grey Wind. Might be my favorite scene from this episode.

Yeah probably my favorite scene as well. Grey Wind looked amazing and Robb just owns the screen.

Spoilers for next week's episode.

Click here if you want to see a certain "ghostly" companion we didn't see episode 1. Looks wonderful.

Oh shit that looks awesome!

So Arya has the second most POV in A Clash of Kings and I see literally 10 seconds of her character on screen in the first episode. Honestly what the fuck. Her growth in the second book is what made reading it such a great experience.

I'm sure Ayra will get plenty of screen time.

Dresden

Yeah, it's only the first episode. Considering how the episode ends with her and Gendry I'm sure we'll see much more of her.

Some of the (COK spoilers)
later scenes with Arya are going to be fucking brutal.

Yeah, it's only the first episode. Considering how the episode ends with her and Gendry I'm sure we'll see much more of her.

Some of the (COK spoilers)
later scenes with Arya are going to be fucking brutal.

Yeah man.
Not looking forward to that at all.

pr0cs

People forget that the end of season one (with Arya) were in book 2, so while so far we've not seen much of her it's because that part of book 2 was shown in season 1.

apana

You guys want every good looking female character to be super model in her prime sexy and every ugly character to look like a freak of nature.

Yeah, for a second it makes you think she's not going to drink. I was actually nearly yelling at my screen because if she didn't drink it would be a copout and wouldn't show that she actually has powers. In the books they seem to make it look like Cresson was basically sacrificing himself to get rid of her because he drank first and was waiting for her to drink, whereas the book it was straight up murder and he never planned on drinking himself.

Loved how badass she was when she finally did drink.

It was like the GOT version of this:

tumblr_m19ll8GtUK1rs5pmyo1_r1_500.gif

I love their casting of Melisandre by the way. I still pictured younger, if only because GRRM said her age was timeless, but my god she's smoking hot. I love the breathy voice as well.

I really wish we got more of Davos, other than two scenes. People new to this need to fall in love with the Onion Knight as much as we readers did. Right now he's kind of a quiet sidekick to Stannis.

See that is what I remember...

As for davos, Keep in mind, we only saw the prologue portion of CoK. The prologue was essentially Cressen's POV was it not? Davos will definitely have his time in coming episodes.

pr0cs

I came to post the exact same thing.
Milisandra needs to be much sexier and mysterious.
I like Carise though the hair looks sort of funny. They needed a good, mysterious actress as well as someone who looked the part, Carise seems to fit the bill

Other people expectations also match yours (and mine):

MELISANDRElowres.jpg

Tumblr_loi8ybAxON1qh0oqco1_400.png

Awesome episode, can't wait til next week

I think the lack of Arya in episode 1 was kind of a narrative choice, as much as anything. I mean, yeah, it was partially because there were too many storylines to revisit/introduce anyway, but it was also a nice storytelling trick to have both the characters AND the audience asking "where's Arya" for an hour to the point that her mere appearance at the end became almost a cliffhanger.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
About Gendry:

I never realized up until now, but the way they pronounce his name is funny to me. Am I the only one feeling this way here? I might be wrong since English is not my mother tongue, but I always assumed "Djendry" was the way to say it.

Anyway, Tyrion was awesome, as always. Not sure what I think of that Littlefinger/Cersei scene though. It's not even alluded to in ACOK if I remember correctly, right?

So Arya has the second most POV in A Clash of Kings and I see literally 10 seconds of her character on screen in the first episode. Honestly what the fuck. Her growth in the second book is what made reading it such a great experience.

Uh, she's so important her appearance is LITERALLY the biggest thing in the episode, saved for the final moment.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Based on the pictures in the OP, the lady playing Ygritte is way too pretty, and the lady playing Margaery is way too plain. Should have switched the roles.

aceface

So I told my wife that she'd look great in a "whore dress" like Shae wears in this episode....not a great idea even though I quickly followed it up with "I'm not saying you a whore or anything".....I think that second sentence made things worse actually.

I like Carise though the hair looks sort of funny. They needed a good, mysterious actress as well as someone who looked the part, Carise seems to fit the bill

Other people expectations also match yours (and mine):

MELISANDRElowres.jpg

Tumblr_loi8ybAxON1qh0oqco1_400.png

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking.

Okay guys, I haven't read anything in this thread since the premiere, but what is the general consensus? Was it awesome or just okay? I'm watching it tonight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom