• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The show is not the books, it's not going to be as good as the books. But it's still a great show. If you can enjoy it as a good TV show, you'll like it, if you keep expecting a re-enactment of the books, you'll be disappointed.

anaron

While I don't find slavish adapting ever necessary, the prologue sets up everything up so easily and well, that it just seemed silly to deviate from it. Having Cressen drink first also made NO SENSE and lacked the punch it should have had for this sacrifice? the showrunners intended for. Also, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with
the depiction of Mellisandre in that scene. She's an incredibly complex character and it's shown as early as it is in her pitying her dying attacker.

My second biggest gripe: WHERE WAS THE FLORENT PEEN?!

:p

Aside from that though, it's always exciting to see a show strive to improve and actually accomplish doing so in its second year. There's a confidence pulsating throughout now that's lending itself wonderfully to the scope and general quality. (regardless of how dumb that Littlefinger scene was, Lena Heady did a tremendous job and is finally convincing me as Cersei) Kudos in particular to Alan Taylor's direction and the episode's editing - everything flowed gracefully and fast.

The bastard slaughter while hard to stomach, (just hearing about the characters refer to the baby bit upset me enough in the book!) was probably the first bit of original scripting/direction that has really impressed me. Sequencing to each murder and capping off with Gendry and Arya was stunning.

Solo

Having Cressen drink first also made NO SENSE and lacked the punch it should have had for this sacrifice? the showrunners intended for. Also, I'm not sure comfortable I with
the depiction of Mellisandre in that scene. She's an incredibly complex character and it's shown as early as in her pitying her dying attacker beneath her.

Having him drink first made complete sense. He was willing to give his life to assassinate her and prevent her from poisoning Stannis' mind further. As to your second point, I saw nothing even remotely resembling pity in her face. I saw pleasure.

EDIT: misinterpreted what you meant. You're saying that she showed pity in the book, not in the episode. My bad.

KingK

Possibly bc I'm new to the damn forum, excuse me. I'll stick to this book/season. My bad.

Just for future reference, if you've read all 5 books there is free discussion in this thread with unmarked spoilers for the entire series.

Also, while in this TV show thread, try to mark spoilers with what book they're from if possible. Example:

(Clash of Kings)
Davos is awesome

There are guidelines about this in the OP. Welcome to the forum, btw.

anaron

Having him drink first made complete sense. He was willing to give his life to assassinate her and prevent her from poisoning Stannis' mind further. As to your second point, I saw nothing even remotely resembling pity in her face. I saw pleasure..

I understood what the writers were going for but it just fell flat without the proper illustration of Cressen's ties to the Baratheons and his very loyal love for them. There's no weight to his actions or death in the episode because he's barely even a character and because of that, the lengths to which he is willing to go to stop her, do not seem terribly justified or affecting - at least, in my opinion of course.

Possibly bc I'm new to the damn forum, excuse me. I'll stick to this book/season. My bad.

I don't mean to be an ass, but the OP has clear rules. We as book readers should want to ensure as many people as possible avoid spoilers, especially those that have nothing to do with ACOK

KdoubleA

Has there been any talk about casting (ACoK late spoilers)
Rhaegar?
Regarding Dany's
vision in the House of the Undying where she sees Rhaeger taking about Aegon "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire."

SmZA

Regarding the Joffrey changes. Isn't the character on TV a little older than in the book, like most of the other child characters? It would make sense for him to be more self-aware and sensitive to the legitimacy of his regency. I'm willing to see how this pans out.

A lot of fans of the books in here are placing the blame on the wrong people. Complaints on the writing quality is perplexing. I read every book and make well informed contributions in the spoiler thread. I'm as die hard a fan as anyone. Yet I still think the show is some of the best television in recent memory. Blame HBO for constraining GoT to 10 episode seasons. The writers are doing the best they can fitting in the important scenes. Thus far the show is delivering amazing entertainment to fans and new viewers. My favorite apart about the show is filling in back story for my friends. They greatly appreciate it. It's what makes the show so enjoyable for me. Give it a shot.

Chesskid1

Banned
what's the rule about talking about episodes pre-air? pretty weird situation lol

i guess just put episode 2 spoilers then whatever you want to say

Kammie

Blah Blah Blah. Good, don't watch. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Just as long as we don't need to read your whiny bitching the entire season. Seriously, everything in your post is nerd rage over the smallest, most nit picky crap. Jaime's reaction wasn't exactly to your liking? Really? The dragon doesn't face the direction you want him to face? The comet doesn't look right? The fact that you need to find inane stuff like this to bitch about proves they're doing something right. Just ditch the show and stick with the books. The fact that you come to such grandiose conclusions over the 1st ep, which primarily is introducing characters, is incredible. Grow up and trying to understand that this show wasn't made exclusively for lovers of the book, but to a wide audience, and the decisions are catered towards them. Personally, the books bore the fuck out of me with their endless exposition and slow pace, so I'm all for the writers taking every liberty they can to make a good show.
My post may sound like nerd rage but my main issue for not liking the show is that I simply don't feel the writers are up to the task. Apart from the changes they (sometimes inexplicably) make, they mainly just have a very poor sense of narrative and flow. They adapt the main points (checklist-style, as I said, and this mostly includes the dialogues), and inbetween they will stick a made-up 8-minute scene with two secondary characters that drags on for eternity, breaking up all flow. And this, with time being at a premium! There was really no need to have Pycelle doing exercises while talking to a whore in the last episode of the last season (if I recall correctly which one it was), for example, with so much else that needed to be focused on.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way, anyhow. With regards to my "grandiose conclusions," there's people here claiming this is already the best TV show of the century!! What makes that any more acceptable than what I'm saying? GAF is always like this with something when it comes out, and will later do a 180. I hardly recall any criticism of The Dark Knight when it came out, and now it's like the complete opposite. I think in hindsight people here will probably end up admitting GOT wasn't all that good. Maybe it'll improve, but this episode seemed like more of the same to me, and what I saw last season just wasn't very compelling even as a standalone product.

K-Style

Banned
No, I don't mean stiff in the sense of doing a nice job in playing a rigid character. I mean stiff in the usual negative connotation its used in with when talking about acting.

Haha. No worries. I thought you might have meant that but wasn't 100% sure. I kinda thought his voice/accent didn't quite match the upper class hardcase he is. Acting skills is not something I'm good at picking. You have to be really bad actor for me to notice.

Jonm1010

Banned
A lot of fans of the books in here are placing the blame on the wrong people. Complaints on the writing quality is perplexing. I read every book and make well informed contributions in the spoiler thread. I'm as die hard a fan as anyone. Yet I still think the show is some of the best television in recent memory. Blame HBO for constraining GoT to 10 episode seasons. The writers are doing the best they can fitting in the important scenes. Thus far the show is delivering amazing entertainment to fans and new viewers. My favorite apart about the show is filling in back story for my friends. They greatly appreciate it. It's what makes the show so enjoyable for me. Give it a shot.

I largely agree here.

I think we would see a lot better flow and less story jumping with a few more episodes.

With a few extra episodes it would afford the show the abillity to really give each story almost an entire dedicated episode or at least several highly focused episodes which would go a long way to alleviating that jumpy rush feeling some people think is going on.

RDreamer

So, question for those that have read the books and may know: Who ordered the killing of the bastards. I guess it wasn't as big a deal in the books as it was in the show, so the few threads I've read in other places people say they think it was Cercei, but I haven't seen much definite. My wife and I were pretty much entirely sure it was Joffrey's doing, though.

marrec

Banned
My post may sound like nerd rage but my main issue for not liking the show is that I simply don't feel the writers are up to the task. Apart from the changes they (sometimes inexplicably) make, they mainly just have a very poor sense of narrative and flow. They adapt the main points (checklist-style, as I said, and this mostly includes the dialogues), and inbetween they will stick a made-up 8-minute scene with two secondary characters that drags on for eternity, breaking up all flow. And this, with time being at a premium! There was really no need to have Pycelle doing exercises while talking to a whore in the last episode of the last season (if I recall correctly which one it was), for example, with so much else that needed to be focused on.

For people who haven't read the book it was a very good way to express some things that they may have missed while setting up the idea that even Pycelle is playing the game. It was very effective for what it wanted to do. You say it's unnecessary but others would call it a stroke of genius. It was very clever really.

I know I don't post in this thread much, but as a fan of the book I love the extras they're adding into the story. Being as this isn't a book, but a TV show, it has to be directed and edited and shot as a TV show. A TV show where they don't show the names for the characters every time someone talks about them, where they have to give vague contextual clues about who's doing what at certain times. A show like this can become very expositiory and the writers so far are doing a brilliant job of moving the story along while making sure everyone keeps up and it stays interesting and not a bunch of nameless people talking all the time.

So, question for those that have read the books and may know: Who ordered the killing of the bastards. I guess it wasn't as big a deal in the books as it was in the show, so the few threads I've read in other places people say they think it was Cercei, but I haven't seen much definite. My wife and I were pretty much entirely sure it was Joffrey's doing, though.

Cersei's doing, at least in the books.

I still interpreted it that way in the show as well. Lots of talk about her children not being Robert's, cumulating in Joffrey confronting her about the "rumors" and asking about her bastards in part drove her to have the gold cloaks go on a bastard killing spree.

UraMallas

Also... that scene between Cersei and Littlefinger, thumbs up for hinting at
Varys' little birds
!

Agreed. That was a really nice touch. I thought about it first when the child comes out to clean up the mess that The Hound made in the opening scene.

RDreamer

Cersei's doing, at least in the books.

That kind of bums me out, actually. It seemed like a much more brazen fuck you toward Cersei by Joffrey. We thought of it as kind of slapping back for that slap in the face and saying he not only believed the rumors, but he was going to do something about it.

03ZdM.jpg

bengraven

Damn! Carice van Houten is hot. She should play J.K. Rowling if a biopic ever comes

Also love this scene

i5xiDErdOcUuu.gif

Just as much as this one

ibbNDWERcJxVY6.gif

It's a great callback to that second scene.

First: whiny prince slapped by his uncle, cries and runs away to his mother.

Second: whiny king slapped by his own mother, threatens to kill her and scares her.

And yes, Carice is really hot. I think people are just upset that she has a few age lines, which to the 15-30 year old age group means "she's old". Sad. Also, I don't know why anyone is complaining about the accent. The point of her character is that she's from far across the sea and is likely one of the few of her kind in Westeros. She should have a different accent.

Socreges

Banned
So I guess HBO is trying to recruit people to HBO GO.... yet they haven't made it available in Canada. Fucking cruel.

Could create an interesting problem for this thread if they continue to do this all season.

Also, I don't know why anyone is complaining about the accent. The point of her character is that she's from far across the sea and is likely one of the few of her kind in Westeros. She should have a different accent.
Agreed. Maybe for some it just strikes them as 'Oh, she's from the Netherlands then...' rather than some strange place. Not too easy to invent accents, though, without sounding ridiculous.

Massa

Another thing about E01...

Why was Littlefinger's accent so fucking weird?

Sounded like a bee stung his tongue.

I noticed that as well. I haven't been keeping up with the news so I immediately feared they had replaced the actor, thank god it was just a brief moment of weirdness.

bengraven

Agreed. Maybe for some it just strikes them as 'Oh, she's from the Netherlands then...' rather than some strange place. Not too easy to invent accents, though, without sounding ridiculous.

Exactly. Like the Dothraki Arabian accent.

Maybe all the people from Asshai speak Dutch. You never know.

K-Style

Banned
And yes, Carice is really hot. I think people are just upset that she has a few age lines, which to the 15-30 year old age group means "she's old". Sad. Also, I don't know why anyone is complaining about the accent. The point of her character is that she's from far across the sea and is likely one of the few of her kind in Westeros. She should have a different accent.

She is very hot. I did picture her as more "exotic" but it doesn't really bother me. Her hair could be better. It does detract from her appearance.

bengraven

She is very hot. I did picture her as more "exotic" but it doesn't really bother me. Her hair could be better. It does detract from her appearance.

her eyes do it for me. I don't care what the rest of her looks like (despite her awesome lips and some nice breasts) but to play Mel she needs eyes that can pierce your soul and seduce you and frighten you all at the same time.

She does that perfectly so in my eyes she's a perfect Mel.

Wray

Series Spoiler:
You know everyone originally thought (and is going to think after this season) that Arya ends up with Gendry. Also, though that kinda gets ruined when she goes across the Narrow Sea, he comes back into play in a very "leadership" role at the inn in ADWD... though I still find it unlikely. George likes to fuck w/ his readers too much.

Speaking of Gendry...

Does anybody else think that Edric Storm will be cut from the show and Gendry will be used in place of him instead at Dragonstone for Season 3?

It wouldnt be hard to split him with Arya and send him to Dragonstone for any number of reasons. He doesnt NEED to meet up with The Brotherhood right away, or at all really. Plus, he could meet up with the Brothers later for the scene with Brienne at the inn.

apana

Series Spoiler:
You know everyone originally thought (and is going to think after this season) that Arya ends up with Gendry. Also, though that kinda gets ruined when she goes across the Narrow Sea, he comes back into play in a very "leadership" role at the inn in ADWD... though I still find it unlikely. George likes to fuck w/ his readers too much.

ok re-joining regular discussion... my posts are almost all completely blacked out.

I find that very creepy to be honest.

Tess3ract

Banned
Wait what the fuck?

Episode 2 spoilers with relation to SERIES SPOILERS

Why the fuck did Jhogo (Rahkaro) die? What the fuck?? He's alive even up to the last book

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just started this season and...

I WANT JOFFERY TO DIE I WANT JOFFERY TO DIE I WANT JOFFERY TO DIE

:mad:

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I don't mean to be an ass, but the OP has clear rules. We as book readers should want to ensure as many people as possible avoid spoilers, especially those that have nothing to do with ACOK

Yeah, I just got spoiled big time in the last few pages.

Wray

Wait what the fuck?

Why the fuck did Jhogo (Rahkaro) die? What the fuck?? He's alive even up to the last book

I remember during the fall there being reports about the actor playing him being unable to continue with the show due to other obligations.

Azrael

Wait what the fuck?

The actor quit due to scheduling conflicts. So they killed his character off and brought in Kovarro as a replacement character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom