• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what the fuck?

Episode 2 spoilers with relation to SERIES SPOILERS

Why the fuck did Jhogo (Rahkaro) die? What the fuck?? He's alive even up to the last book
General Series "Spoilers"
He's not an important character. If he even does anything in the books that would make it on the show, they can just replace him with some other Dothraki and no one would know the difference.

Fry

Some of these spoilers don't ruin the show for me because I barely remember the characters names, hence I'll forget what I read after 10 minutes.

K-Style

Banned
Wait what the fuck?

Episode 2 spoilers with relation to SERIES SPOILERS

Why the fuck did Jhogo (Rahkaro) die? What the fuck?? He's alive even up to the last book

What! They might have to redo this cartoon to a fella watching his tv:

0156681ee1fe765f9eaccaf40b64fd89.jpg

Azrael

Speaking of Gendry...(ASoS spoilers)

Does anybody else think that Edric Storm will be cut from the show and Gendry will be used in place of him instead at Dragonstone for Season 3?

It wouldnt be hard to split him with Arya and send him to Dragonstone for any number of reasons. He doesnt NEED to meet up with The Brotherhood right away, or at all really. Plus, he could meet up with the Brothers later for the scene with Brienne at the inn.

How would Gendry wind up being taken to Dragonstone? Plus I don't think Stannis is even aware of Gendry's existence on the series, since the only information he has about Cersei's incest came from Ned's letter.

I figure they'll follow the book, maybe expand his role in future seasons by cutting Lem Lemoncloak and have Gendry take a bit more of an active role with the Brotherhood and take his place in certain scenes.

Igladius

Neo Member
I don't mean to be an ass, but the OP has clear rules. We as book readers should want to ensure as many people as possible avoid spoilers, especially those that have nothing to do with ACOK

Again, sorry.

Just for future reference, if you've read all 5 books there is free discussion in this thread with unmarked spoilers for the entire series.

Also, while in this TV show thread, try to mark spoilers with what book they're from if possible. Example:

(Clash of Kings)
Davos is awesome

There are guidelines about this in the OP. Welcome to the forum, btw.

thanks. honestly the person who invited me to NeoGaf didn't specify anything about rules, read before posting, etc. So I will get on reading it and trying to climb in the right discussions.

Also: It sounds ridiculous, but I want to avoid the unmarked spoilers thread bc I'm reading ADWD one (sometimes when I can't help it 3 or 7) chapters per month, essentially... bc I'm afraid of the lonely, waiting for George feeling all over again...

Again, I'm sorry for breaking the rules, I will read the OP. (...what is the OP?)

Tess3ract

Banned
Oh shit, I had forgotten what Craster
did with his kids

acok spoilers and end of episode 2 spoilers

I forgot he gave them to the Others in order for them to leave him alone.

My post may sound like nerd rage but my main issue for not liking the show is that I simply don't feel the writers are up to the task. Apart from the changes they (sometimes inexplicably) make, they mainly just have a very poor sense of narrative and flow. They adapt the main points (checklist-style, as I said, and this mostly includes the dialogues), and inbetween they will stick a made-up 8-minute scene with two secondary characters that drags on for eternity, breaking up all flow. And this, with time being at a premium! There was really no need to have Pycelle doing exercises while talking to a whore in the last episode of the last season (if I recall correctly which one it was), for example, with so much else that needed to be focused on.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way, anyhow. With regards to my "grandiose conclusions," there's people here claiming this is already the best TV show of the century!! What makes that any more acceptable than what I'm saying? GAF is always like this with something when it comes out, and will later do a 180. I hardly recall any criticism of The Dark Knight when it came out, and now it's like the complete opposite. I think in hindsight people here will probably end up admitting GOT wasn't all that good. Maybe it'll improve, but this episode seemed like more of the same to me, and what I saw last season just wasn't very compelling even as a standalone product.
Um that was a fantastic scene, not only did it elaborate on some of the history of the kings of Westeros for non-readers, it also established that Pycelle is faking his entire feeble old man routine. Which will have important consequences in the future

Finally got a chance to watch tonight - great episode that I thoroughly enjoyed. The budget feels a little bigger and the actors, for the most part, felt more settled in their roles. Bring on next Sunday.

By the way, regarding episode 2 that may or may not be out in the wild, please spoiler tag appropriately if you'd like to discuss it. [Ep 2] or something like that should be sufficient. Let's also not post any screenshots or stuff like that directly into the thread with image tags - use a url and label them appropriately. Thanks.

Wray

How would Gendry wind up being taken to Dragonstone? Plus I don't think Stannis is even aware of Gendry's existence on the series, since the only information he has about Cersei's incest came from Ned's letter.

Well there are literally 100's of ways it could happen to get him there. Perhaps in season 2 he finds out or figures out that he's Roberts bastard and decides to go there himself. Stannis knows Robert had lots of bastards and if Gendry showed up claiming to be one, it'd be believable to Stannis. Especially when he sees the same resemblance that Ned saw.

He could just end up having an expanded role in the Brotherhood like you said too. But I really think Edric Storm is getting cut since the Cortnay Penrose stuff was cut and we're only getting one shadow baby scene. Unless they move the Cortnay Penrose stuff to season 3, but I'm not sure how well all that would work if it happens after Blackwater and the events of Clash.

Episode 2:

- Well they sure made the girl Theon fucks on the ship to the Iron Islands hideous didn't they?

- :jnc at the whore snowballing the fat dude

- HOT PIE!!!

- Gendry is so hot. Dat smile.

- The actress playing Asha is pretty badass. Has that menacing look to her.

- "The one true god is between a woman's legs". Amazing.

- Davos is carrying this season so far.

- Melisandre is not ugly

Had problems but much better than E1.

Make sure your spoilers are labeled, people.

Buckethead, it's not clear that you're talking about Episode 2. Probably best to tag the whole thing, as well. Thanks.

Cloudy

Banned
It was a good ep but I feel they threw too much stuff into it.. I hope it's just because they wanted to show every plotline at least once but the pacing was a bit off. Last season they had some eps that focused on only 2 or 3 stories at a time so I hope they go back to that...

I felt terrible at the end with the baby being killed, what the hell...they even had a sound effect of the slash. That poor woman and child. Fuck these horrible medieval-ish times where people are treated so bad.

Clash of Kings spoilers

I hope they give alot of time to theon in these coming episodes because his turn is going to be harder to swallow now that the show has made him more sympathetic. I hope they dont just pull a previously on and show that clip with him and the whore and ask us to accept what he does.

_Isaac

Clash of Kings spoilers

I hope they give alot of time to theon in these coming episodes because his turn is going to be harder to swallow now that the show has made him more sympathetic. I hope they dont just pull a previously on and show that clip with him and the whore and ask us to accept what he does.

(ACoK)
Honestly, I found it hard to swallow even in the book. I was actually pretty furious with him.

nib95

Banned
I know it must have been talked about plenty of times before, but this must be one of the best series opening sequences ever. Just majestic, beautiful, informative, stylish and powerful.

LOCK

I thought the first episode was good, not great. But that is generally how it is with these complicated story lines.

(ACoK)
Honestly, I found it hard to swallow even in the book. I was actually pretty furious with him.

(ACOK)
I wouldnt be surprised if the show said fuck it to subtlety and had his sister or his dad straight up tell him to do it for glory etc. rather than him doing it on his own to hit the message harder. I just dont see him getting enough scenes struggling with his feelings for them to justify it any other way, but i hope i am wrong.

Igladius

Neo Member
I'm in the US, I'm hoping other people talking about this second episode already are also in the US. (If anyone needs I have a working link to watch it)

ok, now: What the living fuck?

- 1. ACoK spoiler (Episode 2):
Melisandre and Stannis sex scene?! Do I need to re-read the book, or was that really only suggested (and later revealed to the reader with the whole "shadow-birth thing.") Totally didn't expect it.

- 2. (again) ACoK spoiler (Episode 2):
The very end of the episode blew my motherfucking mind. What in George's name was that? John Snow never actually SAW Craster do anything, he just heard it from Gilly... so where the fuck is HBO going w/ this ax wielding attack on Snow?!

Just watched ep2, I probably shouldn't have considering the fps was somewhat higher than normal making it look a bit weird at times.

I liked ep 1 a lot more, but it was a good episode. I'd imagine those complaining about pacing won't like it

...and those complaining about Melisandre probably won't be complaining for long

Vespene

[aCoK]
Melisandre does need to get pregnant in order to give birth to the shadow thing. And I'm fine with them taking creative liberties with Craster vs Jon Snow. His story has almost no action till the later part of the book.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Saw the first episode, not sure how to feel about it. Something about the pacing feels jarring. I'm not sure how I feel about Ros getting air time and being a character, she'll only be useful if they have her around to expand on Baelish. Also don't recall if [aCoK prologue]
Cressen's death went down the exact way they played it out and personally it made me care less since it just came off as her just letting an old guy of no import kill himself.

I'm hoping the season doesn't fuck up the more important scenes and the pacing doesn't continue to feel weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom