• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Style

Banned
Just watched Episode 1 again. Was able to enjoy it much more this time after forgetting the books. The Master Cresson thing still bothers me though. Why would he think she would drink after seeing him stumble and bleed. He is after all a master and knows how quickly the poison would work and the effects it might have (ie bleeding).

It also reaffirms that Davos is awesome. Reminds me of Jean Reno.

Valravn

Cressen wasnt present at the burning of the seven in the books was he? I remember Cressen plotted to kill Melisandre after Stannis wife (Melisandre influenced her) suggested to kill Renly and Stannis actually considered it.

Just watched Episode 1 again. Was able to enjoy it much more this time after forgetting the books. The Master Cresson thing still bothers me though. Why would he think she would drink after seeing him stumble and bleed. He is after all a master and knows how quickly the poison would work and the effects it might have (ie bleeding).

It also reaffirms that Davos is awesome. Reminds me of Jean Reno.

Agreed, it would make far more sense to have her drink first...

Vespene

I think HBO should've aired 1 and 2 back to back as a special season premier event. They were directed by the same guy and the threads of the story flow perfectly when put together. Episode 1 ends with an establishing shot of Arya and episode 2 begins with
the follow up shot to that.
The ending scene is also in the same vein
as the final scene of season 1's first episode

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Saw the first episode, not sure how to feel about it. Something about the pacing feels jarring. I'm not sure how I feel about Ros getting air time and being a character, she'll only be useful if they have her around to expand on Baelish. Also don't recall if [aCoK prologue]
Cressen's death went down the exact way they played it out and personally it made me care less since it just came off as her just letting an old guy of no import kill himself.

I'm hoping the season doesn't fuck up the more important scenes and the pacing doesn't continue to feel weird.
Expanding on this: It really bugs me that the whole Stannis portion of the first episode just felt really rushed. I will say though that the actor playing Davos is doing a really good job with him.

Also, did anyone else think American flag here?:

7DpDJ.jpg

Vespene

Expanding on this: It really bugs me that the whole Stannis portion of the first episode just felt really rushed. I will say though that the actor playing Davos is doing a really good job with him.

Also, did anyone else think American flag here?:

7DpDJ.jpg

American flag... water boarding...

5yvj8o.gif

K-Style

Banned
They had her drink after Cressen to show how much faith and trust she has in R'hllor (her god).

I get it that BUT how the heck did the Master think it was going to work. If you are going to poison yourself and someone else you'd make sure they had some first or the poison was not so immediate. He was dead as soon as it touched his lips.

Peru

No the effects took like 5 seconds. Still a bad plan, though, but she had a few seconds to drink it and it would've been successful if she wasn't immune.

K-Style

Banned
No the effects took like 5 seconds. Still a bad plan, though, but she had a few seconds to drink it and it would've been successful if she wasn't immune.

If you were given the cup after seeing the guy stumble and blood pour from his nose would you drink it. It takes 5 seconds to hand the cup over.

Valravn

That poison scene felt really awkward. I mean, he drank first? In the books Melisandre drank first but nothing happened to her then Cressen took a sip and died immediately.

K-Style

Banned
That poison scene felt really awkward. I mean, he drank first? In the books Melisandre drank first but nothing happened to her then Cressen took a sip and died immediately.

Would have been more dramatic and made more sense. Han shot first goddamit...

Vespene

He sacrificed himself to ensure that she would drink from the same cup he did.

Vespene

[aDwD][S2E2]
I like how they're already setting up many threads from book 5 in the show. Varys' little birds, how the populace hates the Queen, Khal Jhogo.

XLNC

I get it that BUT how the heck did the Master think it was going to work. If you are going to poison yourself and someone else you'd make sure they had some first or the poison was not so immediate. He was dead as soon as it touched his lips.
I agree, and as already mentioned, it was done differently (and better) in the books where Mel drank first. I think they just really wanted to stress her faith in her god (by showing that she knows it's poison and drinking it anyways) and perhaps they didn't think they could show that by having her drink first.

Valravn

He sacrificed himself to ensure that she would drink from the same cup he did.

I think the blood coming out of his nose and mouth didnt happen because of the poison but Melisandre's hocuspocus. So she already knew he meant to poison her. And she even drank the wine to show she isnt easily harmed.

But again ithink it would have made more sense if Melisandre took the first sip.

Vespene

I think the blood coming out of his nose and mouth didnt happen because of the poison but Melisandre's hocuspocus. So she already knew he meant to poison her. And she even drank the wine to show she isnt easily harmed.

But again ithink it would have made more sense if Melisandre took the first sip.

You see him dip the poison in first. Then he gets up and makes a toast to her, drinking first to in his head ensure that she would drink from it as well. He pierced a sword through himself to get to her, but the fire within saved her.

jsnh7076

Neo Member
Anyone else catch episode 2 tonight? interesting to say the least I thought.
Could have done without the jizz wipe / kissing scene though...

EDIT: Just to be clear, episode 2 was available early thru HBOgo in select areas

anaron

If they were going to kill off Silver, I wish they'd had have Dany react a little stronger to his/her dying. She adores her horsey. :(

should've been Diarrhea to die TBH

duckroll

Torrents, babe. Torrents. Watch now buy later.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come.

Aklamarth

Kind of dissapointed with the Stannis/Melissandre casting. They're not bad but they could have been a lot better. Davos is fine though.

Socreges

Banned
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come.
What if he returns?

tumblr_lcpsqtdCSi1qas5xlo1_500.gif

duckroll

Kind of dissapointed with the Stannis/Melissandre casting. They're not bad but they could have been a lot better. Davos is fine though.

I like the casting a lot. Mel is a pretty accurate depiction of a female religious leader imo. She has the presence which comes from her way with words and her confidence in saying them, and not really purely from looking "hot" or whatever. She's not unattractive, but I think downplaying her physical appearance is a good move because it also makes viewers pay attention to the fact that it is not physical attraction which leads people to listen to her and follow her ways.

As for Stannis, I think he's promising. He didn't have a lot to do so far other than the great letter writing scene, but it's a good start honestly. Looking forward to the later scenes.

Valravn

You see him dip the poison in first. Then he gets up and makes a toast to her, drinking first to in his head ensure that she would drink from it as well. He pierced a sword through himself to get to her, but the fire within saved her.

Cressen was a Maester. And Maesters have knowledge of poisons and how they kill. I just think using a poison that causes bleeding out of the nose and mouth isnt a good choice for a poison when you mean to drink first. and trick another to drink.
I mean it started to visually kill him 5 seconds after he took a sip with blood coming out his nose. Pretty obvious he poisoned himself right? Pretty stupid tactic if you ask me. So this made the whole scene feel very nonsensical and they could avoided it by following the book.

jsnh7076

Neo Member
I like the casting a lot. Mel is a pretty accurate depiction of a female religious leader imo. She has the presence which comes from her way with words and her confidence in saying them, and not really purely from looking "hot" or whatever. She's not unattractive, but I think downplaying her physical appearance is a good move because it also makes viewers pay attention to the fact that it is not physical attraction which leads people to listen to her and follow her ways.

As for Stannis, I think he's promising. He didn't have a lot to do so far other than the great letter writing scene, but it's a good start honestly. Looking forward to the later scenes.

Carice van Houten was a great call, exactly how I pictured her character while reading book two. Stannis and Davos aren't bad either, but I thought Stannis had a fuller head of hair and a bit of facial hair.

I have not read the books but need to know in what book we are in now at the start of season 2?

and how many books is out and have RR martin completed the story yet?

Pkaz01

episode 2 restored the arya fate!

Ep 2.
Fuck yea hot pie!! i don't know about jaqen's voice i imagined it to be more seductive, smooth, and mysterious. His was just ehh idk too gritty? Not too big of a deal though it still sounded good just different, definitely excited.

Oh and I love how badass Yoren is. Fuck yea yoren.

Also going to give conleth hill as Varys his fucking due because he is bringing it. He is a damn good Varys and I don't like all this hype Littlefinger is getting. Making him appear way to big and powerful whereas him and varys rely on everyone overlooking them.

duckroll

Carice van Houten was a great call, exactly how I pictured her character while reading book two. Stannis and Davos aren't bad either, but I thought Stannis had a fuller head of hair and a bit of facial hair.

Maybe if we're lucky Stannis will lose the rest of his hair as the series progresses. :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished watching the premiere. Liked it, but didn't like some of the editing choices - I felt the prologue chapter from AcoK would have been a much better opening sequence for the premiere; instead of it being 20-30 minutes into the episode, oh well. Plus I didn't like the "Hans shot first" esque change for the actual scene itself, stannis / davos / melisandre seem well-cast at least though, can't wait to see more of them in the future.

On the bright-side - the episode felt like a step-up direction-wise from most of s1 - some scenes had a really nice cinematic feel to them.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think that is even possible on premium cable.

HBO has roughly 28 million paying customers. It could be possible to outdo Walking Dead. It would be absolutely insane though. I would have never have heard of anything like this.

~~~

Surprised about the use of the organs in Robb's talk with Jaime, gave it a sort of horror feel to the whole talk.

Direction seems leagues better than season 1. Overall seems like everybody is getting more comfortable with their characters.

Finished watching the premiere. Liked it, but didn't like some of the editing choices - I felt the prologue chapter from AcoK would have been a much better opening sequence for the premiere; instead of it being 20-30 minutes into the episode, oh well. Plus I didn't like the "Hans shot first" esque change for the actual scene itself, stannis / davos / melisandre seem well-cast at least though, can't wait to see more of them in the future.

On the bright-side - the episode felt like a step-up direction-wise from most of s1 - some scenes had a really nice cinematic feel to them.
Hmm not sure starting the new season with total unknown characters would be the right step. Worked in the book, don't think it would in the show. Always felt it was one of the weaker prologues in any case.

XLNC

Holy Jesus if this is even close to Walking Dead's numbers... Mother of god.

Yeah...I don't know. TWD was pulling in some insane numbers after it came back from it's mid-season hiatus and finished with 9M viewers in the finale.

HBO's most popular show is True Blood (I think), and it pulls in ~5M viewers/episode. I think it would be fantastic if GoT could match just those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom