• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

One of the best television shows of the century can be said about a number of shows like Lost that were barely into their second season. It's a bit different here because people know what happens.

Personally I want more bad ass Arya. Who cares about Gendry honestly.
Skins fans and people who didn't read the books.

Socreges

Banned
One of the best television shows of the century can be said about a number of shows like Lost that were barely into their second season. It's a bit different here because people know what happens.

Personally I want more bad ass Arya. Who cares about Gendry honestly.
Not sure why you're replying to me. I was just addressing his "everyone is jaded and hates the show" comment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
all the counter-arguments to people detracting to the show seem to be asking people like me to separate it from the books, but see, that's my problem.

I have separated it from the books, mentally, and the resultant TV show isn't spending enough time actually building believable characters and making me care about them. I'm pro-"cutting stuff from the book". Much more so than they have already.

But, judging by this thread, I seem to be a bit of an outlier here.

Dragon

Banned
Not sure why you're replying to me. I was just addressing his "everyone is jaded and hates the show" comment.

Yeah I got mixed up between responding to your post and his and picked the wrong one.

On another topic: I did think the scene with Melisandre and Maester Cresscens(sp?) was very poor and not impactful as in the book. There's something to be said for having a point of view there which makes it much more impactful.

Azrael

I'm guessing the reason Mhaegan wasn't killed in the brothel is she's going to end up being the
brotherfucker
lady. King's Landing doesn't appear to be in as bad a shape as it was in the book with everybody starving, so I guess they're going to make it about the murder of the bastards instead.

Socreges

Banned
With the Melisandre/Cressen scene, at least they (subtly) included the pulsing necklace. I was expecting them to ignore that detail.

all the counter-arguments to people detracting to the show seem to be asking people like me to separate it from the books, but see, that's my problem.

I have separated it from the books, mentally, and the resultant TV show isn't spending enough time actually building believable characters and making me care about them. I'm pro-"cutting stuff from the book". Much more so than they have already.

But, judging by this thread, I seem to be a bit of an outlier here.
I don't think you've been able to separate the two as much as you think. People who haven't read the books don't seem to express the same concerns.

The editor did an amazing job stringing the scenes together. I loved all the transitions because they happened so naturally. Not reading the books makes the show so much better, I don't have to deal with the navel grazing over the differences.

Subitai

I'm guessing the reason Mhaegan wasn't killed in the brothel is she's going to end up being the
brotherfucker
lady. King's Landing doesn't appear to be in as bad a shape as it was in the book with everybody starving, so I guess they're going to make it about the murder of the bastards instead.
They alluded to King's Landing problems when Cersei shut the gates to further refugees of the war. I'm sure we'll see things getting pretty bad pretty fast.

JerkShep

Yeah, I really wish they had a cold open prologue for each series. I guess the one thing about the Maester Cressen scenes in the book is that a lot of it is internal monologue and introducing the characters, that doesn't really work on television.

Most of the prologues of the series don't work well in a television format. There is already a vast amount of characters, introducing another one (or more than one) just for a few minutes at the beginning of the new season it's a cool nod for the fans, but hardly essential. Cressen is good and all, but the Prologue is basically a Davos POV with some insight on the Maesters (really difficult to convey on screen without proper context) and on minor characters of Dragonstone. A stronger introduction for Davos would have worked a lot better in my opinion, Cressen could be addressed brefly in some way as a nod for the book fans and be done with it.
The problem is, people are angry because the CG dragon looked to the right, while the book clearly says that he looked to the left. You're damned if you do, damned if don't. I can sympathize with the feeling: a faithful adaption is maybe the best way to go considering that Weiss and Benioff are not exactly Weiner or Gilligan, the less they put of their own is probably the better. From another point of view, some things have to be edited, compressed, chaged, cut. It's not so bad right now, but once the show reach later books (AFFC and ADWD especially) some changes are necessary or it will become simply unwatchable.

RDreamer

I don't think you've been able to separate the two as much as you think. People who haven't read the books don't seem to express the same concerns.

Popping in as a non-book-reader I have to agree with you. I definitely don't have his same concerns. The whole reason I love this show so far is how believable the characters are and how much I care for them.

LProtag

I think it was a pretty smart move to not start with Dragonstone and the comet like in the book.

People wanted to see their favorite characters again and that's exactly what the show gave them. Stannis was worked into that just fine.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I just don't understand how some of the more fervent book supporters can even expect the show to have the depth of character that the novels have when so much of what makes the book characters so great is the fact that we are able to get inside their heads during their PoV chapters and understand exactly what they are thinking and feeling at the time. Davos is one of my favorite characters in the books and it has absolutely nothing to do with anything he actually does in the story but more to do with enjoying his inner thoughts and feelings on the events he sees unfolding. There is no way to convey that in a visual medium that I can think of.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
am I crazy, or are there two threads for this?

The walking dead has crazy fans who bitch that the show moves to slow because they want to see it hit all the points that they have already read, while crucifying anyone who critiques the show. Reading comments on reviews is depressing.

I am so happy that the SoIaF fanbase is far removed for that craziness, even if we still have some white knights from the other side, finding everything wrong.

Show talk: I loved that pan after Melisandre drank the wine. Her line delivery there was perfect.

Solo

Oh man, I totally loved it. Easily the best episode in the whole series so far for me. The whole thing had a sense of confidence and a brisk pace that was almost completely lacking from the first season. It's like they've finally found their groove. The production values were noticeably better than S1. The lighting was much better and the sets and CG were integrated so much better than they previously were. I really like the usage of the comet for transitions and establishing shots. I absolutely loved almost all the new casting. Melisandre and Davos in particular I thought were excellent. The only one Im not sold on yet is Stannis, who seemed really stiff. As for the OG cast and characters, I was particularly impressed by the Robb scenes. I was initially not very high on the actor in S1, but by the end of the season and especially now, I've really come around and think he is perfect for the role. Dinklage was awesome as always and even GAF's much maligned Lena Headey put in easily her best work yet. Loved seeing Dany/Emilia again, but my memory of the book (which I read some 8 years ago) is that her storyline really doesn't progress much in this book or in ASOS, so I'm really wondering how they will keep her storyline interesting. On a very minor note speaking of Emilia and Lena, I thought that the wig work was a lot more naturalistic and convincing in this one than it was last season. Anyways, great episode. The show has finally found its swagger and we are in for a hell of a season if it can be this good start to finish.

big ander

am I crazy, or are there two threads for this?

That is completely impossible and you are absolute crazy. GAF supports at most one thread per subject.

(no spoilers thread, marked spoilers thread. you're in the latter. it's all in the OP)

I think it was a pretty smart move to not start with Dragonstone and the comet like in the book.

People wanted to see their favorite characters again and that's exactly what the show gave them. Stannis was worked into that just fine.

They can wait 5 minutes to see their favorite character. Look at the opening scene of the second and third season of Lost. Mystery, new characters, etc. It was intriguing. Now imagine if it started with just a scene of Hurley collecting some mangos for the camp. Not the best way to set up a season, is it? (I can't believe I was forced to cite Lost as an example of something done right. Game of Thrones, what have you done to me??)

There is no way to convey that in a visual medium that I can think of.

Sure there is. With a simple method called showing, not telling. To use a better example than Lost, look at Mad Men. That is a show that respects it's audience. Unspoken expressions, an incredible attention to detail in body language, hidden depths and layers in characters presented solely through subtext, that is how Game of Thrones can portray so much more than having Littlefinger tell the story of Clegane's childhood as if it were common knowledge.

Socreges

Banned

Joffrey, the Hound and Sansa?

You're pretty much right, though. The idea was very likely to introduce the new season with familiar characters. At some points, like at the beginning of a new season, they do need to consider the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately the quality may suffer, but I have no fear that this episode will have been the most awkward of the season for good reason.

Altazor

Loved seeing Dany/Emilia again, but my memory of the book (which I read some 8 years ago) is that
her storyline really doesn't progress much in this book or in ASOS, so I'm really wondering how they will keep her storyline interesting.

well, that's probably because (ACOK SPOILERS)
nothing really happens with her in the book save the House of the Undying and another assassination attempt at the end. Except from that, it's mostly boring/forgettable Red Waste stuff
, so I hope they make it interesting in the TV series.

without spoiling too much, can anyone tell me if there is any truth to what I was thinking in the non spoilers thread?:

Does anyone get the feeling that they may be setting up a rags to riches storyline with the bastard son of King Robert (The blacksmith kid)? I can see it going where his heritage becomes more common knowledge and they can try and unsurp Joffery and make the smith king.

Socreges

Banned
Oh man, I totally loved it. Easily the best episode in the whole series so far for me. The whole thing had a sense of confidence and a brisk pace that was almost completely lacking from the first season. It's like they've finally found their groove. The production values were noticeably better than S1. The lighting was much better and the sets and CG were integrated so much better than they previously were. I really like the usage of the comet for transitions and establishing shots. I absolutely loved almost all the new casting. Melisandre and Davos in particular I thought were excellent. The only one Im not sold on yet is Stannis, who seemed really stiff. As for the OG cast and characters, I was particularly impressed by the Robb scenes. I was initially not very high on the actor in S1, but by the end of the season and especially now, I've really come around and think he is perfect for the role. Dinklage was awesome as always and even GAF's much maligned Lena Headey put in easily her best work yet.
Loved seeing Dany/Emilia again, but my memory of the book (which I read some 8 years ago) is that her storyline really doesn't progress much in this book or in ASOS, so I'm really wondering how they will keep her storyline interesting.
On a very minor note speaking of Emilia and Lena, I thought that the wig work was a lot more naturalistic and convincing in this one than it was last season. Anyways, great episode. The show has finally found its swagger and we are in for a hell of a season if it can be this good start to finish.
Ugghh, timeline spoilers.

[edit] Damnit, Altazor...

apana

Most of the prologues of the series don't work well in a television format. There is already a vast amount of characters, introducing another one (or more than one) just for a few minutes at the beginning of the new season it's a cool nod for the fans, but hardly essential. Cressen is good and all, but the Prologue is basically a Davos POV with some insight on the Maesters (really difficult to convey on screen without proper context) and on minor characters of Dragonstone. A stronger introduction for Davos would have worked a lot better in my opinion, Cressen could be addressed brefly in some way as a nod for the book fans and be done with it.
The problem is, people are angry because the CG dragon looked to the right, while the book clearly says that he looked to the left. You're damned if you do, damned if don't. I can sympathize with the feeling: a faithful adaption is maybe the best way to go considering that Weiss and Benioff are not exactly Weiner or Gilligan, the less they put of their own is probably the better. From another point of view, some things have to be edited, compressed, chaged, cut. It's not so bad right now, but once the show reach later books (AFFC and ADWD especially) some changes are necessary or it will become simply unwatchable.

Why is everyone harping on one comment? A lot of people have had much larger criticisms, including me. I honestly felt that the later King's Landing scenes were pointless and Dragonstone wasn't done that well. That being said I still enjoyed the episode, I just don't buy into the hype with people early on saying that this was a perfect episode and much better than the season 1 episodes. Also saying something should stick closer to the book is a legitimate criticism if people have a reason for it. Sometimes added scenes really elevate the show and other times they don't, just waste minutes that could be spent somehwere else.

stupei

Sure there is. With a simple method called showing, not telling. To use a better example than Lost, look at Mad Men. That is a show that respects it's audience. Unspoken expressions, an incredible attention to detail in body language, hidden depths and layers in characters presented solely through subtext, that is how Game of Thrones can portray so much more than having Littlefinger tell the story of Clegane's childhood as if it were common knowledge.

Mad Men is a fairly poor comparison to Game of Thrones, though. In Mad Men the characters are the primary story function. It is all about the restrained reactions, the body language, the seething jealousy. In Game of Thrones, you are juggling a massive ensemble of characters, yes, but the driving force is the narrative events. You can't expect to hit every single plot point and also allow lingering moments of subtle reactions. Plenty of non-readers have enough trouble keeping everything straight as it is now and you want it to be more understated? Never going to happen. Give up on that dream now and try to enjoy it for what it is.

But as for a means of introducing Dragonstone earlier, it would have been nice if we could have seen a bit of Renly's camp to lead easily into Stannis. But I'm not sure what could have been cut to make time for it and obviously they're saving developments with Renly for next week.

Igladius

Neo Member
dZex3.gif

hahaha ^

guess I should google it.

without spoiling too much, can anyone tell me if there is any truth to what I was thinking in the non spoilers thread?:

Does anyone get the feeling that they may be setting up a rags to riches storyline with the bastard son of King Robert (The blacksmith kid)? I can see it going where his heritage becomes more common knowledge and they can try and unsurp Joffery and make the smith king.

Can't really answer that question without some spoilers, I'll keep it small though.

Spoiler for the entire series in regards to the question above:
No____________________________________

Igladius

Neo Member
I learned how to do it! (excuse the junior member plz) ASOIAF spoiler:
I want to know if anyone thinks that this season will end with Renly's, Joffrey's, or Robb's death.

Bigfoot

I know it's almost impossible, but try not to compare it to the books. The show is great, as are the books. You'll enjoy the show a lot more if you can separate the two as two separate entities

Quoted for truth. I think most of the complaints come from book readers. The non book readers are just enjoying a fantastic TV show.

Mad Men is a fairly poor comparison to Game of Thrones, though. In Mad Men the characters are the primary story function. It is all about the restrained reactions, the body language, the seething jealousy. In Game of Thrones, you are juggling a massive ensemble of characters, yes, but the driving force is the narrative events. You can't expect to hit every single plot point and also allow lingering moments of subtle reactions. Plenty of non-readers have enough trouble keeping everything straight as it is now and you want it to be more understated? Never going to happen. Give up on that dream now and try to enjoy it for what it is.

Yeah, you really can't compare Mad Men, an almost plotless show focused on a much smaller group of characters to Game of Thrones in that way.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member

But as for a means of introducing Dragonstone earlier, it would have been nice if we could have seen a bit of Renly's camp to lead easily into Stannis. But I'm not sure what could have been cut to make time for it and obviously they're saving developments with Renly for next week.
I was going to respond to the Mad Men comparison, but you pretty much nailed it exactly. It is not even comparable imo. Hell, Mad Men even has 3 more episodes per season to tell it's much smaller and more focused story. Pretty obvious you are going to get more subtle character depth under those circumstances. Sure I would love for GoT to have 15 or more episodes per season, but I think they are doing the best they can with the constraints put on them.

Igladius

Neo Member
Quoted for truth. I think most of the complaints come from book readers. The non book readers are just enjoying a fantastic TV show.

Going to be honest: Obsessed with both, considering HBO brought George R.R. Martin in to help be a consultant to the writers... probably going to be as close as they can get without making it a ridiculously long season each time.

Dragon

Banned
I want to know if anyone thinks that this season will end with Renly's, Joffrey's, or Robb's death.

General series spoilers:
I think Renly's will come later on in the season but I don't think they end with it. As far as Joffrey's and Robb's, no and no, they don't have enough time for the Red Wedding and Joffrey comes after Robb unless I'm remembering horribly.

Igladius

Neo Member
General series spoilers:
I think Renly's will come later on in the season but I don't think they end with it. As far as Joffrey's and Robb's, no and no, they don't have enough time for the Red Wedding and Joffrey comes after Robb unless I'm remembering horribly.

in response: another series spoiler:
You do remember correctly, do you think Renly's will be like Eddard's? (basically second to last episode).

I don't understand this post. If you have read the books you know the answer. If you haven't, this thread isn't really for you. Ask this type of opinion question in the no spoilers thread.
Renly will probably die in the middle of the season.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, that's probably because (ACOK SPOILERS)
nothing really happens with her in the book save the House of the Undying and another assassination attempt at the end. Except from that, it's mostly boring/forgettable Red Waste stuff
, so I hope they make it interesting in the TV series.
I didn't mind the Quarth stuff. It wasn't anything too dramatic, but I liked what they did with Jorah and Dany over the course of the book. It isn't like there were many Dany chapters in the first place.

Igladius

Neo Member
Gendry's tale has not been finished, for all we know it could happen.

Series Spoiler:
You know everyone originally thought (and is going to think after this season) that Arya ends up with Gendry. Also, though that kinda gets ruined when she goes across the Narrow Sea, he comes back into play in a very "leadership" role at the inn in ADWD... though I still find it unlikely. George likes to fuck w/ his readers too much.

ok re-joining regular discussion... my posts are almost all completely blacked out.

Igladius

Neo Member
I don't understand this post. If you have read the books you know the answer. If you haven't, this thread isn't really for you. Ask this type of opinion question in the no spoilers thread.
Renly will probably die in the middle of the season.

...ok seriously now you have ME confused. I've read all 5 books... But again, HBO isn't just going to go book by book, they overlapped slightly the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom