• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerkShep

I'll give the book reader something to rage about. I don't know if it was already known, but apparently episode 2 confirms that
Shireen does not exist in the series. Melisandre says that Stannis's wife has given him only stillborns
I personally don't care, but since it seems a rather important change I wanted to share.
Another "big" change I noticed is that episode 2 spoiler
Bronn becomes the new commander of the City Guard after Slint

Well, Van Houten is a very common Dutch last name ("From Houten", Houten being a city in NL). So there's really no reason to link it to anything.

Hope that helps :)

IhywT.jpg

Frost_Ace

I'll give the book reader something to rage about. I don't know if it was already known, but apparently episode 2 confirms that
Shireen does not exist in the series. Melisandre says that Stannis's wife has given him only stillborns
I personally don't care, but since it seems a rather important change I wanted to share.

:/

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Hmm that seems weird and somewhat disappointing. I don't really mind them making changes that actually help the show work better in the tv format, but both of those seem unnecessary to me.

Hmm that seems weird and somewhat disappointing. I don't really mind them making changes that actually help the show work better in the tv format, but both of those seem unnecessary to me.

But isn't that why they made the changes, because logistically it would work better in the TV format? If you were making it, you feel that they could have avoided those changes?

If so, how?

Legit curious, especially since this sort of thing is sure to keep coming up. I'm highly interested in what people consider to be things easy to pull off in the adaptation versus things that they're willing to concede.

JerkShep

I'm not actually 100% sure because their dialogue was somewhat focused on still ep 2 spoiler
male sons, but Melisandre seems to imply that Stannis has no heir at all

Tacitus_

False. She says
that she has given her only daughters and stillborns and promises Stannis a boy

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
episode 2 spoiler
wtf at the ending. that did not happen in the book, did it? fucking weird, but still, weirdly awesome how the show made me so surprised by it... or maybe im just starting to forget stuff seeing it was ages ago i read that book

What happened?

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
But isn't that why they made the changes, because logistically it would work better in the TV format? If you were making it, you feel that they could have avoided those changes?

If so, how?

Legit curious, especially since this sort of thing is sure to keep coming up. I'm highly interested in what people consider to be things easy to pull off in the adaptation versus things that they're willing to concede.

I'm certainly not as up in arms about it as a lot of people will surely be. Honestly I don't really care that much at all, but I would have liked to have seen Shireen and Patchface personally. I don't really see how it would have been so difficult to write her in as a very minor character, especially considering the subplot with
waking the stone dragon that is mentioned many times in the book, with the implication that Shireen might need to be sacraficed to R'hlor do it.
I guess I'm actually not upset with the changes so much as that now there will be a massive flood of die hards who rage hard about it amongst other things. The Bronn change, I don't even really mind. Anything to have him in more scenes is fine with me.

edit-and now after reading Tacitus post, it seems it might not even be the case at all. She could very well still be in the show.

I thought Stannis was perfectly played, especially during the prayer/prophesy part. He draws the sword, says the words, puts the sword down and is done with it. Wonderfully done.

I love how, as he's leaving, he looks around for his wife, waits a second for her, and then just goes,"ah, fuck it", and walks off before she reaches him.

JerkShep

False. She says
that she has given her only daughters and stillborns and promises Stannis a boy

Nope. ep 2 spoiler
"She's given you nothing. No sons. Only stillborns. Only death" There is no daughters in that sentence
As I said, I can't be 100% sure but the dialogue and the scene from ep 1 seems to imply it.

Eh. (Ep 2/General Books spoilers)
Shireen has served no meaningful purpose in the books, I don't think anything is lost by cutting her.
There are already more than enough characters and subplots, cutting the fat is a necessity for this adaptation.

Micerider

Very much so, the show is overheavy on new characters as it is for 10 episodes a season.

Beside they already did that in the 1st season. Jory was a bit of a mix of Jory, Tommard and Poole in the series. That saves quite a few character to cast and script in the series.

I was not shocked to discover that, you cannot expect a TV Show to play with hundreds of actual characters (an I am not even talking about "background" ordinary folks here). The books are too rich in character for the serie's sake. Best to focus on fewer character if they manage to still make sense out of it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Shireen has served no meaningful purpose in the books, I don't think anything is lost by cutting her.
There are already more than enough characters and subplots, cutting the fat is a necessity for this adaptation.

True, but why not just leave it unmentioned, in case it becomes important later? Totally writing it out just seems kind of foolish when it's not really necessary.

sephi22

Guys, its been a while since I read the books, so I need some things cleared. Episode 2 spoilers ahead:

-
Did that thing between Stannis and Melisandre happen in the books? I've read till book 3 and I remember the implication that Stannis spends alone time in his chambers with her but I don't recall them outright saying that they're fucking. From the books, Stannis came off pretty stern and honorable so the sex scene felt weird to me.

-
Who was the khalasar rider who got beheaded? Wasn't the guy Dani spoke to last episode was he? AFAIK he stays with her till the end of Book 3 (that's the last one I read)

-
Why is Littlefinger getting all this attention and character building? Does he do something significant in Book 2? I know he plays a big part in Book 3.

-
I think Theon just cups Asha's breasts and tries to kiss her in the book (she rejects his advances), but here he straight up fingerbangs her and she lets him. I like this change.

True, but why not just leave it unmentioned, in case it becomes important later? Totally writing it out just seems kind of foolish when it's not really necessary.

Seems fairly important to me (episode 2 spoilers)
to suggest his motivation for being unfaithful

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Ya I really don't feel strongly enough about her to care either way, but
I thought some of Patchfaces prophecies were interesting foreshadowing for events to come later in the books. The show is tending to move completely away from all of the prophecy stuff anway though, so no big deal really. I do hope they have the house of the undying visions though.

Why was the first episode called "The North Remembers"? It wasn't even that much about the North.

Because the writers liked that line when they read ADWD.
Ep 2 spoilers
Like Chuck Norris alluded to, it's character development for Stannis and his relationship with his wife and Melisandre. And the showrunners have more knowledge about the future plot than we do, maybe they know whatever Shireen's role is can be replaced or cut.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Seems fairly important to me (episode 2 spoilers)
to suggest his motivation for being unfaithful

Fairly important to justify a not overly important scene? Besides, the scene could just have easily happened without explicitly writing that character out of the show.

Pkaz01

Guys, its been a while since I read the books, so I need some things cleared. Episode 2 spoilers ahead:

-
Did that thing between Stannis and Melisandre happen in the books? I've read till book 3 and I remember the implication that Stannis spends alone time in his chambers with her but I don't recall them outright saying that they're fucking. From the books, Stannis came off pretty stern and honorable so the sex scene felt weird to me.
whole series big time spoilers
its implied that the shadow that kills renly is created by them having sex, and thats the "son" Mel is going to give him, notice how she says he doesnt need to fight renly only give up his body to the lord of light by having sex with her. and in ADWD she makes a comment towards Jon saying her bed isn't warm since Stannis left.

Like Loras and Renly its implied but George leaves it gray the show says fuck subtleness here are some tits.

Fairly important to justify a not overly important scene? Besides, the scene could just have easily happened without explicitly writing that character out of the show.
That is an important scene, it also sets up / depicts a pivotal relationship for the entire series

Early ratings news from Twitter:
#GameOfThrones season two premiere: 3.9m viewers, 2.0 demo. More than doubles the series premiere audience in 18-49.

The 10pm and 11pm repeats of the #GameofThrones S2 premiere garnered 1.47m and 0.9m viewers, respectively.

Total audience number for the #GameofThrones S2 premiere: 6.278m. This doesn't include On Demand or HBOGO viewers.

JerkShep

-
Why is Littlefinger getting all this attention and character building? Does he do something significant in Book 2? I know he plays a big part in Book 3.
ACOK
Littlefinger is the one that secures the alliance with the Tyrells later on, and from the trailers it seems he will meet Catelyn at some point, probably when he's going to Highgarden and she's going back to Robb

jett

D-Member
I always thought (ACOK)
Melisandre put a spell on Stannis or something to make him have sex with her. It's certainly not very honorably what Stannis did on the show. :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That is an important scene, it also sets up / depicts a pivotal relationship for the entire series

Pkaz's post gave me some better context about the scene, I still haven't watched it. But [book 2]
they still did not need to use that line to justify the scene.
Mel could just have said that his wife gave him no sons and leave it at that

sephi22

ACOK
Littlefinger is the one that secures the alliance with the Tyrells later on, and from the trailers it seems he will meet Catelyn at some point, probably when he's going to Highgarden and she's going back to Robb
whole series big time spoilers
its implied that the shadow that kills renly is created by them having sex, and thats the "son" Mel is going to give him, notice how she says he doesnt need to fight renly only give up his body to the lord of light by having sex with her. and in ADWD she makes a comment towards Jon saying her bed isn't warm since Stannis left.

Like Loras and Renly its implied but George leaves it gray the show says fuck subtleness here are some tits.

Thank you. And Pkaz01 when I quoted your post there wasn't the DWD part in there. Fuck. Oh well, not a big spoiler.

Pkaz01

I don't know why but I assume more people watched this on HBO Go than they would have watched True Blood. I wonder what the ratings would have been if it wasn't shown online. do they release hbo online information?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't know why but I assume more people watched this on HBO Go than they would have watched True Blood. I wonder what the ratings would have been if it wasn't shown online. do they release hbo online information?

They usually do.

Yes, but not consistently.

Most likely there will be a S3 renewal press release this morning that will include some of that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom