• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Tower of the Hand put up a ratings article with a chart for Live and the Day 1 numbers

os9lr.png

Finally got to watch it last night. It's one thing to read the books but a totally different feeling to watch the show. Even though I knew it was coming, it was still awesome when Maester Cressen started convulsing and bleeding and then Melisandre STILL FUCKIN DRINKS IT ANYWAY!

Meier

So apparently they're going to air every episode this season a week early on hbo go in some markets: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/04/episode-12-the-night-lands-early-reactions/

I just don't think it's worth watching early personally.. it's more fun to see it when everyone else does and have that thing to look forward to. One thing that would work with this format though is that you're not necessarily waiting like 2 weeks for a new episode like you would be when they aired a single episode right after on HBO Go.

Subitai

I'm afraid this will have a negative impact on ratings in the weeks ahead if true =(.
No it will just make discussion weird on the interwebs.

People seem to be smart enough not to check in until they have seen something. It also might build hype/wom if they work in lots of cliff endings again.

AngryMoth

gutshot and I talked about this briefly yesterday. I'd be surprised if that kept up all season long. I don't see the incentive for them to release it early on a weekly basis.
Yeah it does seem wierd but there's a polish guy in the comments who says hbo have confirmed it for his country at least. It's going to make it really wierd with regards to spoilers if they do keep it up.

bengraven

~~~

Surprised about the use of the organs in Robb's talk with Jaime, gave it a sort of horror feel to the whole talk.

Yeah, at first I thought it was the theme to Bram Stoker's Dracula, which was recently reused on American Horror Story. Very cool.

Helmholtz

I think my biggest nitpick in episode 1 was the Cressen scene with the poisoned drink. How the heck did they mess that up? They should have either had her drink first, or just have Cressen die after she drinks, not have it insanely obvious that it's poisoned before she's even handed the cup. What a bizarre choice.

I think my biggest nitpick in episode 1 was the Cressen scene with the poisoned drink. How the heck did they mess that up? They should have either had her drink first, or just have Cressen die after she drinks, not have it insanely obvious that it's poisoned before she's even handed the cup. What a bizarre choice.

They wanted to beat people over the head that she knew it was poisoned and drank anyways. People that watch tv are stupid, didn't you know?

HawkeyeIC

This way shows her powers much more clearly. She knows it's poisoned and chugs it anyway. It's a more shocking introduction to the viewer that way.

Igladius - I appreciate your enthusiasm for the show, but it's a very good idea as someone new to GAF to lurk for a while and learn the rules (spoiler tagging, illegal content, and otherwise) before you start posting.

Yeah it does seem wierd but there's a polish guy in the comments who says hbo have confirmed it for his country at least. It's going to make it really wierd with regards to spoilers if they do keep it up.
True, but I'm assuming it's more likely a miscommunication between HBO and their European unit rather than a season long policy. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't add up to me.

Ezio

Just got around to posting but I watched the S2 premier when it aired. I gotta say I loved it, this is easily my favorite show on TV (paid or not) right now. The production value, story, characters are all very well done.

Pkaz01

Yea i could understand giving a 2 for one premiere but a whole season seems like way too much. Whats the point oh hey since hbo is new here u get to watch everything a week before?

Subitai

Well, thinking about it some more, HBO really wants to be the best place for binge tv viewing. Versus Netflix I guess they feel they might need to do more, hence the week early rumors.

operon

Igladius - I appreciate your enthusiasm for the show, but it's a very good idea as someone new to GAF to lurk for a while and learn the rules (spoiler tagging, illegal content, and otherwise) before you start posting.

True, but I'm assuming it's more likely a miscommunication between HBO and their European unit rather than a season long policy. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't add up to me.

It's a bit like how Channel 4(UK) air programmes like Desperate Housewives, where episode one is aired on Channel 4 but afterwards you can go to E4(another channel run by them) to watch the next week's episodes. That way you can watch an episode ahead all the time.

bengraven

gutshot and I talked about this briefly yesterday. I'd be surprised if that kept up all season long. I don't see the incentive for them to release it early on a weekly basis.

If anything, they won't let the season ender show up early, no matter what.

Man, this really is an issue if people start torrenting the episodes early. It's going to fuck up their ratings this year - ratings that were possibly higher than the last year. :/ This isn't good people.

Pkaz01

If anything, they won't let the season ender show up early, no matter what.

Man, this really is an issue if people start torrenting the episodes early. It's going to fuck up their ratings this year - ratings that were possibly higher than the last year. :/ This isn't good people.

Wasnt GoT heavily torrented last year? I dont think that many of the people that didnt torrent it already would start now or even know about the one week early thing

EktorPR

Is it me or has the Main Theme been slightly altered for this season? It sounds different... Less organic and powerful, more synth-y. :|

sephi22

Wasnt GoT heavily torrented last year? I dont think that many of the people that didnt torrent it already would start now or even know about the one week early thing

My Facebook feed is full of people who torrented the second episode. I think the one week early thing is a mistake.

Is it me or has the Main Theme been slightly altered for this season? It sounds different... Less organic and powerful, more synth-y. :|

I noticed that too. I like the new theme

bengraven

ha @ the Luck numbers.

Animal injuries my ass, HBO. Milch, Hoffman and Nolte couldn't even keep a million viewers.

It was, but it also had very average ratings. There was speculation that had it been torrented less, it would have been the first or second highest rated show in HBO history. Speculation, of course.

I loved everything that came out of Sallador Saan's mouth.

ha @ the Luck numbers.

Animal injuries my ass, HBO. Milch, Hoffman and Nolte couldn't even keep a million viewers.

:( . Yeah, if the ratings for Luck had been good they would have talked about how stringent the animal safety guidelines were (higher than race tracks) and how they were committed to Milch's vision. They saw a way out and took it.

Seriously, the least you could fucking do is spoiler tag the things in episode 2. A lot of us don't live in these places where the episode is available, and some of us haven't already torrented that shit. Book spoilers are obviously grey area but why would you post something about an UN-AIRED episode without tagging?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ha @ the Luck numbers.

It was, but it also had very average ratings. There was speculation that had it been torrented less, it would have been the first or second highest rated show in HBO history. Speculation, of course.

Average ratings? It became the third most viewed HBO series ever behind only Sopranos and True Blood.

I wouldn't worry about the ratings. HBO is smart and they're playing a longer game. Nobody is going to cancel their subscription because episodes are out earlier. You can always pirate episodes.

There are essentially no restrictions on sharing HBOGo and there's a reason for that. They want as many people watching this show as possible, and they know a certain percent of those will eventually subscribe. They also know you can't convert every pirate.

RDreamer

My Facebook feed is full of people who torrented the second episode. I think the one week early thing is a mistake.

It seems crazy stupid to be putting them out there one week early. They have to know that the show is heavily torrented. It wouldn't be such a huge internet sensation and meme without that. Now putting them up anywhere a week early guarantees those that are pirating it will get it before the legit customers. It's just going to pull legit customers into pirating too. I mean this is an incredibly addicting and captivating show. There are likely going to be a lot of people without the will power to resist just downloading it early. After all, why should those not paying for the service get it before those who are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom