• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Series spoilers
Disagree. Littlefinger's the easiest person to figure out after a certain point and that's because his allegiance lies solely with his dick. Once you realize that, he's basically the only person whose motivation is always the same.

Right. (series again, sorry)
I always thought there was a connection between Varys and Little finger since you meet them together in their first scene. The Spider and Littlefinger - sounds like a duo of thieves in an old gaslight London story.

But the interesting part of them being introduced together is that I think no two characters in the series are completely different than those two.

Varys, so far at least, seems to be doing everything slimy he can for the good of the realm. Baelish is doing every slimy thing he can just for himself.

Yeah, and in both book 1 and season 1, I think that Littlefinger is presented as fairly ambiguous in his intent right up until about the throne room scene where he turns on Ned. After which I think it'd be tough to see him as a decent guy regardless of medium.

(I don't think it's necessary to spoiler anything in this post, right?)

bengraven

It's probably not a good idea to talk about episode two if we know you're an American.

Yeah, and in both book 1 and season 1, I think that Littlefinger is presented as fairly ambiguous in his intent right up until about the throne room scene where he turns on Ned. After which I think it'd be tough to see him as a decent guy regardless of medium.

(I don't think it's necessary to spoiler anything in this post, right?)

No, you're clear.

- WiC.net: HBO addresses early episode release rumors
The second episode of season two was briefly available today on HBO GO in the Netherlands and Poland, but has since been removed. I reached out to HBO about the reports we had heard of these territories claiming they will be airing every episode of season two a week early and they confirmed that that will not happen. The episodes will continue to air in the US first and then on the foreign subsidiaries sometime thereafter.

3N16MA

Banned
Still tracking above True Blood at this point. HBO does have more subscribers now but still a positive sign. 1.4/18-49 for S1 finale and 2.0/18-49 for S2 premiere. Also the Maester Cressen part flew by a little to quick for me.

JerkShep

Very good news

ep 2 spoilers

I totally forgot that Craster sacrifices his sons to The Others

Like many other things, it's hinted in the books and "confirmed" by the series.

I really hope they ask GRRM's opinion before making some of these decisions, or they could fuck things up going forward.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member
[Episode 2 spoiler]
I wonder if they are going to remove Stannis' daughter. We haven't seen her yet, and the way Melisandre was talking about his wife makes it sound like she is the one with grayscale.

Like many other things, it's hinted in the books and "confirmed" by the series.

I really hope they ask GRRM's opinion before making some of these decisions, or they could fuck things up going forward.

ACOK spoilers
I believe they say quite directly in the book that he does that, you just don't see it actually happen like we will in the show.

There have been several mentions that D+D know things about the final two books from George so that they don't cut or change something that will be very important in the final books.

Also, great news on the episodes not being on GO before they air.

Raist

Banned
Just watched ep2.

Felt much less all over the place than ep1. Nice.

Cons:
Not so sure about where they're going with Theon. Hope they won't change him much further.
The sexposition is starting to get a bit ridiculous now.
And Stannis still sucks.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I actually liked that they started in King's Landing because it immediately put you back in Joffrey's world of sadistic activity, but I will agree that the Dragonstone scenes were really the only scenes that I didn't think were great. They felt a little rushed.

I watched with a couple non-book readers as well and they were very confused about the Dragonstone stuff. They did almost no introduction to those characters.
I felt the scene could've been placed in at any point of the episode, all it did was serve to remind everyone that Joffrey is douche of the universe. Hell if they were so eager to give the viewer an air of familiarity it could've been shown right after the prologue. With it starting the episode you get the following:
  • Jofrrey that asshole!
  • Hey, a fat guy who Joffrey is gonna likely have killed.
  • Nope not gonna happen today.
  • Oh, there's Tyrion!

As posted on Wic.net's twitter, HBO has launched a Game of Thrones tumblr.

This one is awesome:
game_of_thrones_tribute_by_creasdoutliner-d4hkxaj.jpg

bengraven

Oh so now we can get 5 frame, heavily saturated OFFICIAL gifs? ;)
I lol'd. PS: Don't worry, there's plenty of other content on the new tumblr:

t9n2A.jpg

I could make gifs a plenty if you want.
Keep them coming. Are you taking requests? :D

I just worry that all we'll get of Essos in the intro is Vaes Dothrak...
iirc, there are four different versions of the credits for the first four episodes, so it's likely they'll get quite a few things in there this season.

[Episode 2 spoiler]
I wonder if they are going to remove Stannis' daughter. We haven't seen her yet, and the way Melisandre was talking about his wife makes it sound like she is the one with grayscale.

Pretty sure the daughter was shown (albeit briefly and at a distance) towards the end of the burning of the 7 ceremony, so I am sure she will have a role.

apana

They have already started the planning for filming season 3. Announcements can come whenever but you will get a season 3 and 4 of Game of Thrones for sure.

With the writers on record saying shooting back-to-back would not work, I'm guessing S3 will be...ASOS in 10 episodes or perhaps half the book for S3, other half for S4? hmmm

Or maybe 12 episodes for S3/ASOS?

With the writers on record saying shooting back-to-back would not work, I'm guessing S3 will be...ASOS in 10 episodes or perhaps have the book for S3, other half for S4? hmmm

They have said their plan is two seasons for ASOS.

I assume that's not ruling out the possibility of some Feast events being in S4, but for the most part it looks like ASOS will be S3 and S4.

apana

With the writers on record saying shooting back-to-back would not work, I'm guessing S3 will be...ASOS in 10 episodes or perhaps have the book for S3, other half for S4? hmmm

It will be two seasons for storm of swords. Plus if there is any leftover material from clash of kings, it will be put into season 3.

Amir0x

Banned
You can criticize this show but this

is just bald faced entitlement. They're allowed to do whatever they want. If it ends up in narrative calumnity, then sure, criticize away, but stomping your feet because it doesn't match up to something that the show has no earthly chance of matching up to all the way is not criticism.

And if you think I don't welcome criticism, I ran Lost threads for like four seasons and defended any number of people who hated it from the rabid superfans within those threads.

Of course they're allowed to do whatever he wants. And he, as a critic, is allowed to feel entitled as to how the show should end up, being a fan since the start. It doesn't mean you have to agree with his points. Saying that it's "just bald face entitlement" is a really silly way to dismiss someone's point of view. Of course he's entitled - in my view, virtually all criticism requires at least a tiny amount of entitlement. Criticism is in large about making something into the image you like, rather than necessarily the image the creators have in mind.

I like the show, but I have problems with the speed of it... things rush by so fast, nothing is given time to grow. And that's partially because, yeah, it's dropping shit out of the book left and right in order to fit it into the 50 minute time slot. The first episode alone could have received another 25 minutes without breaking a sweat, and other shows frequently open with 1:10 premieres or 2 hour premieres, so Game of Thrones deserved more. And yeah, it's partially because of entitlement. I pay for HBO, these shows are the reason I pay for it, therefore the shows have to meet my standards. If people said there was never any entitlement involved with their criticism, I'd be a bit skeptical.

apana

They have said their plan is two seasons for ASOS.

I assume that's not ruling out the possibility of some Feast events being in S4, but for the most part it looks like ASOS will be S3 and S4.

ADWD/AFFC:
There will almost certainly be events from both Dance and Feast in seasons 3 and 4. Most likely Theon being tortured by Ramsay.

I like the show, but I have problems with the speed of it... things rush by so fast, nothing is given time to grow. And that's partially because, yeah, it's dropping shit out of the book left and right in order to fit it into the 50 minute time slot. The first episode alone could have received another 25 minutes without breaking a sweat, and other shows frequently open with 1:10 premieres or 2 hour premieres, so Game of Thrones deserved more.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the HBO series that get extended episode lengths are typically the ones that air at 10, like Treme. Game of Thrones needs to wrap up by the end of the hour so that the half-hour comedies that air after it can be shown at their normal times.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but the HBO series that get extended episode lengths are typically the ones that air at 10, like Treme. Game of Thrones needs to wrap up by the end of the hour so that the half-hour comedies that air after it can be shown at their normal times.

On the premiere night, all other shows were moved to the following week. It was just Game of Thrones season premiere re-runs all night. That's what I mean... I can understand getting regular episodes finished under an hour, but the premiere should be special. No need to rush it. Let it breaaaathe

Like last year, one is supposed to have no book spoilers whatsoever, but this thread can have book spoilers.

Ah I see.
If were going to have 2 threads for the show we need a thread for each book. I really want somewhere to go and talk about ASoS.

I can't believe how
good and horrible
this book is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom