• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Torrents and word-to-mouth advertising are the reason this show sells so well on DVD/Blu-ray and other digital outlets.

LuchaShaq

Banned
ha @ the Luck numbers.

Animal injuries my ass, HBO. Milch, Hoffman and Nolte couldn't even keep a million viewers.

It was, but it also had very average ratings. There was speculation that had it been torrented less, it would have been the first or second highest rated show in HBO history. Speculation, of course.

The hbo on demand is so bad on cox cable I know MULTIPLE people who pay/paid for hbo that torrented Game of Thrones because the on demand video quality was so frequently fucked/would randomly cut out/not save your place if you pause for more than 10 min etc.

Also WTF at this week early nonsense?

It's like they want people to torrent/illegal stream even if they are already subscribed to HBO. Fucking silly. When your paid experience is worse than the free one even discounting price you should know you fucked up.

Folks, just a reminder for the new page: Please spoiler tag and label any leaked episode 2 discussion. Thanks.

e.g. [Ep2]
Put your discussion here.

Cornballer - Could we possibly institute a new rule of not posting anything about these episodes that are out early until Sunday?
If it's only this week and some of the people are watching it legally, then I think we should be ok. People just need to be more careful about spoiler tagging and labeling. There was one week last season where they released an episode early to HBO Go and it wasn't too much of a problem. If it's going to be this way all season long, then we probably need to do something about it.

If it's only this week and some of the people are watching it legally, then I think we should be ok. People just need to be more careful about spoiler tagging and labeling. There was one week last season where they released an episode early to HBO Go and it wasn't too much of a problem. If it's going to be this way all season long, then we probably need to do something about it.

The episode(s) will be legitimately available early for some regions like episode 6 (or I think it was 7) was last year.

I guess some people think it's not a big deal. We've read the books and we know what to expect in the story, but with the show there's very little that can still surprise us. I don't want to know what new characters are introduced in episode 2, people definitely need to be careful about things even if they think something like a character introduction isn't much that much of a spoiler. If HBO is making this a regular thing this season and people can't abide, then it might be a good idea to hold off discussing "early" episodes until they've aired at the regular 9pm Sunday time. It's not very fair to those of us who don't live in one of those areas or don't torrent episodes.

JerkShep

I really hope this is a one time thing with the episode. Someone early in the thread wrote that it was just for the first episode, how thing have changed now? Is there an official statement or something? That seems dumb.

Helmholtz

This way shows her powers much more clearly. She knows it's poisoned and chugs it anyway. It's a more shocking introduction to the viewer that way.
I guess. It sure made Cressen look like an idiot though, because his plan in the show is far more stupid than the way it turned out in the book...

ivysaur12

Banned
Dem ratings. Still in the middle of season one and catching up. Fell asleep during episode six last night, which was totally my fault trying to watching GOT at 3AM.

CyReN

Is the leak a mistake or are they trying something like True Blood did and had episode 2 out the same week as 1?

Is the leak a mistake or are they trying something like True Blood did and had episode 2 out the same week as 1?
They released Episode 2 early in a few European countries. It's unclear if this will happen every week or just for Ep 2.
Is there an official statement or something?
No. Just some rumors that the rest of the season will be out a week early, as well. Nothing confirmed yet.

gutshot

They released Episode 2 early in a few European countries. It's unclear if this will happen every week or just for Ep 2.
No. Just some rumors that the rest of the season will be out a week early, as well. Nothing confirmed yet.

I've put an inquiry in to HBO, to clarify what exactly is going on here. We'll see what they say.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If the premiere pacing was weird, then I want weird pacing all season.
I suppose I was thrown off at how they chose Joffrey to open the season. I still feel the prologue would have been the best choice and they butchered that down into one of the shortest portions of the episode.

F!ReW!Re

Torrents and word-to-mouth advertising are the reason this show sells so well on DVD/Blu-ray and other digital outlets.

Yeah I agree on that, although I do believe word of mouth is the biggest contributor...
Hear a lot of people talking about it, even some of my friends/colleagues who I wouldn't expect to like GoT

Kuroyume

Banned
When I read that the second episode was up I thought it was because the next one was pushed back a week becuase of the holiday. Easter sunday is this weeknd? I looked at the first post in the thread and saw that the second episode will be on This Sunday though. That's strange and stupid to put it up early like that.

Solid ratings, much better than my own negative nancy prediction of 3.4

I wish I hadn't watched the second episode lol. Now all I have to look forward to next weekend is The Killing

Jonm1010

Banned
ha @ the Luck numbers.

Animal injuries my ass, HBO. Milch, Hoffman and Nolte couldn't even keep a million viewers.

It was, but it also had very average ratings. There was speculation that had it been torrented less, it would have been the first or second highest rated show in HBO history. Speculation, of course.

Total viewership for Luck ended up being slightly decent. Remember, HBO doesn't just base judgement on first run viewings, they look at a number of metrics. One of which is buzz that drives subscriptions and critical appeal which plays into that.....Luck - with it's cast and creators - was basically like green lighting an Emmy factory for HBO.

Modern HBO seems pretty dedicated to giving high end dramas at least 2 seasons, I think it is far more plausible the show got canned for what they said as opposed to the common conspiracy.

I've put an inquiry in to HBO, to clarify what exactly is going on here. We'll see what they say.
Thanks!
I wish I hadn't watched the second episode lol. Now all I have to look forward to next weekend is The Killing
tFKvq.gif

ASIS

Can someone please explain to me how Stannis knew about the Joffrey's true father?

I didn't read the books, only watching the series so I think I missed that bit.

Beating a dead horse here, but I really hope that this week early thing for GO in some Euro countries is only for this week. Could hurt the ratings over the course of the season and the dual discussion is already really annoying.

Why was the first episode called "The North Remembers"? It wasn't even that much about the North.

Robb had 4 scenes I believe, more than any other character. It's called that though because the episode is mostly about dealing with the fallout of Ned's death.

I suppose I was thrown off at how they chose Joffrey to open the season. I still feel the prologue would have been the best choice and they butchered that down into one of the shortest portions of the episode.

I actually liked that they started in King's Landing because it immediately put you back in Joffrey's world of sadistic activity, but I will agree that the Dragonstone scenes were really the only scenes that I didn't think were great. They felt a little rushed.

I watched with a couple non-book readers as well and they were very confused about the Dragonstone stuff. They did almost no introduction to those characters.

lucius

I was kind of shocked to see this NYTimes review of season 2:
http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/ar...s-on-hbo.html?scp=1&sq=Game of thrones&st=cse

I actually saw the article in the paper Friday and only kept it to read after the premiere because it had a big half page photo of Peter Dinklage. Just read it today it is pretty negative overall and Dungeon and Dragons comment is stupid, I never been a fan of that but think GOT is one of the best shows on TV.

Maybe shoudn't give the guy attention, all though a couple things I agree with him but seems too negative for a quality show.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah...I don't know. TWD was pulling in some insane numbers after it came back from it's mid-season hiatus and finished with 9M viewers in the finale.

HBO's most popular show is True Blood (I think), and it pulls in ~5M viewers/episode. I think it would be fantastic if GoT could match just those numbers.

True blood has "the women" though because it's a shitty vampire story. I tried showing this to my gf (who likes mad men and stuff) and she's like MAN SHOW.

stupei

True blood has "the women" though because it's a shitty vampire story. I tried showing this to my gf (who likes mad men and stuff) and she's like MAN SHOW.

You just have to get her to see past the swords and blood and see the backstabbing court melodrama beneath it all. Game of Thrones: like Gossip Girl with direwolves and more frequent beheadings.

gutshot

Interesting that you would say that because this show is hugely popular with the fangirls on Oh No They Didn't! and Tumblr. Maybe she just needs to give it more time?

Apath

Can someone please explain to me how Stannis knew about the Joffrey's true father?

I didn't read the books, only watching the series so I think I missed that bit.
I know everyone answered this already, and going by the show, that's how it is. But wasn't Stannis with Jon Arryn when he was investigating Robert's bastards? I thought Stannis found out the truth of Cersei & Jaime with Jon, and that's why he decided to head back to Dragonstone. Then Stannis said he found out because of Ned Stark's letter at his little council meeting, so that kind of threw me off.

bengraven

Average ratings? It became the third most viewed HBO series ever behind only Sopranos and True Blood.

I wouldn't worry about the ratings. HBO is smart and they're playing a longer game. Nobody is going to cancel their subscription because episodes are out earlier. You can always pirate episodes.

There are essentially no restrictions on sharing HBOGo and there's a reason for that. They want as many people watching this show as possible, and they know a certain percent of those will eventually subscribe. They also know you can't convert every pirate.

I remember the ratings being good, but not fantastic. That said, during the break the show exploded in popularity due to DVD and word of mouth.

Kapsama

I know everyone answered this already, and going by the show, that's how it is. But wasn't Stannis with Jon Arryn when he was investigating Robert's bastards? I thought Stannis found out the truth of Cersei & Jaime with Jon, and that's why he decided to head back to Dragonstone. Then Stannis said he found out because of Ned Stark's letter at his little council meeting, so that kind of threw me off.

Must be a change for the show. Stannis definitely knew in the book and Ned's letter never reached him.

Maffis

episode 2 spoilers:
I don't like how they are painting up Littlefinger as an obvious bad guy. I mean, in the books you get the impression of you really never know where you have the guy. But this time it seems like they're going the obvious route of bad guy with all the: i don't like bad investments scene they did.

UraMallas

episode 2 spoilers:
I don't like how they are painting up Littlefinger as an obvious bad guy. I mean, in the books you get the impression of you really never know where you have the guy. But this time it seems like they're going the obvious route of bad guy with all the: i don't like bad investments scene they did.

Since we're not entirely sure where his allegiance lies in the books, it might be that they are privvy to info that we don't have and they are setting us up for a big twist! Maybe...

Zabka

episode 2 spoilers:

You mean the pimp who tricked Ned Stark into getting his head cut off?

stupei

Since we're not entirely sure where his allegiance lies in the books, it might be that they are privvy to info that we don't have and they are setting us up for a big twist! Maybe...

Series spoilers
Disagree. Littlefinger's the easiest person to figure out after a certain point and that's because his allegiance lies solely with his dick. Once you realize that, he's basically the only person whose motivation is always the same.

Raist

Banned
episode 2 spoilers:

Even in the books it's quite clear that he's an asshole pretty early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom