• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosher

I suppose I was thrown off at how they chose Joffrey to open the season. I still feel the prologue would have been the best choice and they butchered that down into one of the shortest portions of the episode.

If the show were to open with the book's prologue, I feel it would need to be twice as long and given more time to flesh out the new cast.

As is, it felt very rushed and had little time to breathe. In the middle of the episode, it still worked as a sort of teaser, and I'm sure later episodes will introduce viewers to Davos, Stannis, and Mel more in-depth. But it would've been extremely disorienting for non-readers to open with the two short scenes we were given. I'm sure the editing room even toyed with placing this scene at the start, but it didn't test well.

Arment

Are Internet nerds going to be upset when they find out bros like this show?

Why would they? More viewers, more budget.

I just found out about episode 2. It's a blessing and a curse really. Watch it now and be bored Sunday or watch it Sunday and live with the torment of knowing I could see it any time I want.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the HBO series that get extended episode lengths are typically the ones that air at 10, like Treme. Game of Thrones needs to wrap up by the end of the hour so that the half-hour comedies that air after it can be shown at their normal times.

Nah, I've seen episodes at 9 be more than an hour. Recent examples off the top of my head include one of the Luck episodes being almost 70 minutes, the first episode of Game of Thrones last year was a few minutes over 60, and there have been a few Boardwalk episodes that have exceeded 60 minutes I believe.

Thanks!
tFKvq.gif
I'm such an Arya fanboy but I'm afraid to express it due to fear of looking/sounding creepy about it.

Why would they? More viewers, more budget.

I just found out about episode 2. It's a blessing and a curse really. Watch it now and be bored Sunday or watch it Sunday and live with the torment of knowing I could see it any time I want.

Or watch it now then again on Sunday :D lol

Randdalf

ASOS spoilers, speculating on how they're going to adapt it
I don't think ASOS is long enough to support 2 ten episode seasons, but too long for a single 10 episode season. The whole thing with that book is that the first half is spent setting up the second which is just fantastic a parade of seismic events. I also feel that it'd lose some impact if there was a year between the setup and the stuff that actually hapens. I don't think that the Red Wedding is the best way to end a season considering the long term future of the show, with several popular characters meeting their ends.

ASOS spoilers, speculating on how they're going to adapt it
I don't think ASOS is long enough to support 2 ten episode seasons, but too long for a single 10 episode season. The whole thing with that book is that the first half is spent setting up the second which is just fantastic a parade of seismic events. I also feel that it'd lose some impact if there was a year between the setup and the stuff that actually hapens. I don't think that the Red Wedding is the best way to end a season considering the long term future of the show, with several popular characters meeting their ends.

We discussed your last point yesterday in the unspoiler texted thread. That's probably the safest location to talk about it.

Gregorn

I just noticed that these amazing characters weren't in the show.

638px-Patchface.jpg

(Final Books Speculation)
Which is strange due to how important they might end up being, the Patchface theories are the most interesting theories and Shireen might be a zombie queen. Although that gives them a lot of time to introduce them like the Reeds, it'll still be a shame to introduce them at the end and be like 'lol this is the solution to everything'.

bengraven

I could make gifs a plenty if you want.

I know you can. I just meant people in general. :p

I'm guessing we'll get it tomorrow. They're probably just hammering out some details or haggling over a few things.

12 episodes or bust.

Are Internet nerds going to be upset when they find out bros like this show?

I don't know a single bro that watches this. Then again, I know few bros anymore. I make a point to not acknowledge their existance in public and not friend them on Facebook.

Which is strange due to how important they might end up being, the Patchface theories are the most interesting theories and Shireen might be a zombie queen. Although that gives them a lot of time to introduce them like the Reeds, it'll still be a shame to introduce them at the end and be like 'lol this is the solution to everything'.

(book speculation)
So far they're not that important. We have enough people prophesizing on the show. And Shireen does nothing. She only appears in maybe two scenes and is only referred to a few times as an ugly kid. I suspect they've combined the characters of Shireen and her mother. In the first episode Stannis grabs his wife by the arm and drags her away. In Ep 2 Mel says that his wife stays in her tower locked away from people. Much different than the boastful proud woman from the books.

No problems with either change, we don't need them. Much like we don't need to introduce the new Captain of the Guard who only gets killed a few episodes later. Better to have Bronn fill the position. He won't die of course.

638px-Patchface.jpg

George oversees the scripts. If they were vitally important, he would've made it evident to the writers that they need to be in the story

AngryMoth

I think this is a mistake. For every couple of HBO viewers I'd bet there is someone savvy enough to just get the torrent and download it instead of waiting till it airs in their country. Very illogical IMO
The reports were from a few of HBO's european subsidiaries, but it's now been clarified that this won't be happening, it seems like ep2 wasn't even supposed to go up. Nothing to worry about.

edit: Here's the post on WiC

bengraven

George oversees the scripts. If they were vitally important, he would've made it evident to the writers that they need to be in the story

Pretty much this.

If Blackfish is the last person alive in the final book, then you'd think he would have insisted the character be in Season 1.

Don't know if it's possible for them to produce that many in time to be honest.

I think D+D said in an interview that from planning/writing/casting, filming, and post-production, each season has taken about 11 months to make.

We are likely in agreement that we can wait a few more months for a 12 episode season.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I love nudity and shit...but it's a little too overdone in this show. They need to dial it back a few steps, most of it is pointless.

Though I did like both episodes so far. I can't wait to see some vengeance already.

I think ASOS needs to be two seasons at least. 10 episodes won't do it justice. Especially if we want to measure the pace the series continues at before it catches up to the books (entire series spoiler)
ADWD and AFFC just don't have enough interesting content. If they make a page to page adaptation they can fill out a season, but when they start trimming out useless pointless crap, they'll be cutting out half the book. Look how little happens in the North over these two books, are we really going to see Jon sitting around doing nothing for two seasons? I wish they'd been smart to delay and push back the war with Mance Rayder as long as possible. Maybe have it in season 5, after the majority of the Southern wars die down in season 3 and 4. Of course having Jon with the wildings for so many seasons would be ridiculous so it's too late. As it seems now we'll be having a shit load of wars and need for special effects in the ASOS season. It'll be way too much as far as the budget is concerned for one season.

apana

They will probably show up in [series spoiler]
season 5 when Stannis is setting up his rooms at the Night's Watch.
Also its best not to use pictures of characters that have not been introduced yet.

Gregorn

That's what I'm scared of, I'm the worlds biggest Patchface fan so finding out that he isn't important is annoying. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.

Also its best not to use pictures of characters that have not been introduced yet.

I'm going to take the risk and assume it's fine for multiple reasons, but mostly because the picture makes me laugh.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If the show were to open with the book's prologue, I feel it would need to be twice as long and given more time to flesh out the new cast.

As is, it felt very rushed and had little time to breathe. In the middle of the episode, it still worked as a sort of teaser, and I'm sure later episodes will introduce viewers to Davos, Stannis, and Mel more in-depth. But it would've been extremely disorienting for non-readers to open with the two short scenes we were given. I'm sure the editing room even toyed with placing this scene at the start, but it didn't test well.
The season premiere should have been two episodes instead of the one. The Stannis section is as you said very rushed. It should have been expanded it was a poor introduction to all of the characters involved barring Davos and Stannis who had one saving line: "a lie, take it out" to even give you an idea of what Stannis is like.
Keep them coming. Are you taking requests? :D
For the show? Or in general? If for the show I would gladly take request it would make it easier on me if anything.
I know you can. I just meant people in general. :p
Well I wasn't sure if you were referencing me ever since my tumblr gifs rant. :p

stupei

They will probably show up in [series spoiler]
season 5 when Stannis is setting up his rooms at the Night's Watch.

The House tree on hbo.com doesn't reference either character, so they've almost certainly been removed from the show entirely.

Amir0x

Banned
<Ep2 shit>
goddamn the salt wife is gross in episode 2. that's not just 'inflated nerd-ego' type commentary, she is legitimately URGH!? I almost gagged. Melisandre is super hot confirmed. Also, I dunno, I would hit Asha... I mean, "Yara". She is super ugly in that commercial, and she sort of seemed...I dunno. Maybe it's by comparison to the salt wife, but now she didn't seem so un-fuckable :p This is my pervy commentary on pervy episode 2.

Also I've been meaning to complain about Ros. Is she sleeping with one of the producers or something? Why is she even in this story? (episode 2 spoilers)
I mean they Ros crying over the baby and Littlefinger comforting her, wtf was the point of this? It wasn't her baby, they could have used the mother of the baby for this scene and it would've made a lot more sense. And I hate to get shallow, but her role is to be attractive in this show and she looks like shit this season, she's either pregnant or put on a ton of weight. Either way her entire role last season seemed to be able to add a lusty element to the show, now they seem to be trying to make her a legitimate character. It makes no sense

/Rant

Dany

Banned
<Ep2 shit>
goddamn the salt wife is gross in episode 2. that's not just 'inflated nerd-ego' type commentary, she is legitimately URGH!? I almost gagged. Melisandre is super hot confirmed. Also, I dunno, I would hit Asha... I mean, "Yara". She is super ugly in that commercial, and she sort of seemed...I dunno. Maybe it's by comparison to the salt wife, but now she didn't seem so un-fuckable :p This is my pervy commentary on pervy episode 2.

I had Roy Dotrice read that scene to me, imagine that!

apana

The House tree on hbo.com doesn't reference either character, so they've almost certainly been removed from the show entirely.

I didn't know there was a rule like that. [series spoiler]:
They have a lot of time so it is still possible to introduce them if they want. Hell they could probably even introduce them by the end of season six if they even reach that point so I wouldn't say anything for certain. I think we all sense that Patchface is going to do something big.

Socreges

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm such an Arya fanboy but I'm afraid to express it due to fear of looking/sounding creepy about it.
Given that you apparently want to express it beyond "I'm such an Arya fanboy" and that you're anxious about how people would respond... maybe you'd better just keep it to yourself.

stupei

I didn't know there was a rule like that. [series spoiler]:
They have a lot of time so it is still possible to introduce them if they want. Hell they could probably even introduce them by the end of season six if they even reach that point so I wouldn't say anything for certain. I think we all sense that Patchface is going to do something big.

Sure, they might introduce him, if necessary. But "they" will not appear as they do in the books because in the series she doesn't appear to exist. The family trees on the website include characters that are never going to make it to air, and they still receive mention. (Catelyn's mother gets a mention in the Tully house tree, for example, despite being deceased.)

If someone isn't there at all, that would definitely suggest that they've been deliberately removed because they were written out.

And I don't know that I agree. (series speculation)
I don't think Patchface is necessarily anything more than a literary device. He may well be extremely important, or he might just be George screwing with his readers' expectations.

For the show? Or in general? If for the show I would gladly take request it would make it easier on me if anything.
Sure, I'll throw out a few requests after I rewatch the episode later. Thanks for the offer - tumblr gifs just aren't going to get it done.

<Ep2 shit>
Also, I dunno, I would hit Asha... I mean, "Yara". She is super ugly in that commercial, and she sort of seemed...I dunno. Maybe it's by comparison to the salt wife, but now she didn't seem so un-fuckable :p This is my pervy commentary on pervy episode 2.

Ep. 2
I always pictured Asha as a younger Claudia Black, that just fits her book description perfectly. I'm not real crazy about "Yara"...I mean, I don't know, she might be able to do the humor ok, but she doesn't look the part at all, and Asha's look is a big part of her character IMO. She has to look like she could kick your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom