• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode 2 talk:
Asha/Yara didn't seem as energetic or playful as she does in the books, more badass I guess. I'm cool with this, just wondering why they decided to change her character up

bengraven

Episode 2 talk:
Asha/Yara didn't seem as energetic or playful as she does in the books, more badass I guess. I'm cool with this, just wondering why they decided to change her character up

I like her a lot in the show. (ep 2)
I was shocked, since she's got a butterface and walks like a man. But the Asha in the books comes off as an Errol Flynn like swashbuckler and on the show she seems more down to earth and grittier, while still retaining the ability to mock and have fun. Like...a lot of fun. With family.

I like her a lot in the show. (ep 2)
I was shocked, since she's got a butterface and walks like a man. But the Asha in the books comes off as an Errol Flynn like swashbuckler and on the show she seems more down to earth and grittier, while still retaining the ability to mock and have fun. Like...a lot of fun. With family.

yea, I can dig it

apana

The only character I like better in TV-form is Robert Baratheon. That guy was a non-event in the book, nobody cared about him, Mark Addy truly made him his own. He's the only actor that did that with the character they play, as far as I'm concerned. Most everyone else is just going through the motions to be honest. Especially someone like Jon. He's just too stoic, unfeeling, and completely lacking in personality compared to the image I have of Book Jon. A lot of characters in the show share these qualities actually. It's not quite how I pictured the world/cast of ASOIAF.

I've loved the acting, I think they did justice to their characters. With regards to Jon, well I can see how people would come to that opinion. The truth is when you are an idealistic young teenage hero with all your "complex emotions" it will often come off as bland on screen. We got to be in Jon's head which is what made it interesting. I think Kit has a certain kindness to him that works very well for Jon.

_Isaac

The only character I like better in TV-form is Robert Baratheon. That guy was a non-event in the book, nobody cared about him, Mark Addy truly made him his own. He's the only actor that did that with the character they play, as far as I'm concerned. Most everyone else is just going through the motions to be honest. Especially someone like Jon. He's just too stoic, unfeeling, and completely lacking in personality compared to the image I have of Book Jon. A lot of characters in the show share these qualities actually. It's not quite how I pictured the world/cast of ASOIAF.

I think the guy who played Viserys totally outdid the book character. He did a good job with what little screen time he had.

Puddles

Banned
Question: in S01E10, during the King in the North scene, was the guy who says "I'll have peace on those terms" Lord Karstark?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
People talking about Arya being nominated for supporting role. As much as I like the character... I think the guy who plays Joffrey is just too damned good to passover. He needs to have his nomination. Seriously. No one has been hated as much on television in a long time. He's a damn good actor.

apana

People talking about Arya being nominated for supporting role. As much as I like the character... I think the guy who plays Joffrey is just too damned good to passover. He needs to have his nomination. Seriously. No one has been hated as much on television in a long time. He's a damn good actor.

He will have a rough time getting nominated in the best supporting actress category.

Peter Dinklage will be up for best supporting actor.

q_q

I disagree. I feel like when your character is written to be so radically evil, it's easy to play the part. There is no subtlety involved, you just act like an evil asshole. Not to say anything against the actor, he does a great job and I'm not saying anyone could play that part, I just don't think his performance is that stand out.

Pkaz01

Episode 2 spoilers
Hot pie is fucking awesome. He is going to be great, everyone is talking about yara and stannis so i needed to give him his props

Kind of sucks they gave away the good Varys scenes in the previews but oh well he is still amazing

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've loved the acting, I think they did justice to their characters. With regards to Jon, well I can see how people would come to that opinion. The truth is when you are an idealistic young teenage hero with all your "complex emotions" it will often come off as bland on screen. We got to be in Jon's head which is what made it interesting. I think Kit has a certain kindness to him that works very well for Jon.
I think he does a decent job too, and the stoicism fits how the character grew up trying his best to not be in the way while still wanting to be someone of value. The way he reacted to Mormont's reprimand was good in showing that imo.

(series)
And yeah, most of what we get from him in the books goes inside his head, it will be particularly difficult to portray his feelings during his time with the wildlings depending on how they write his scenes.

q_q

Can somebody explain what this is?

In the King in the North scene in the season one finale, one of the actors adlibbed the line "Renly is not right!" in reference to his claim to the throne. It's just kind of caught on as a meme around here.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Good points.
Arya is still my favourite young character. Gendry is slowly creeping up the top of the list though.

Can somebody explain what this is?
it happens during the ''king in the north'' scene in the finale.
on the bluray commentary you can hear that the writers never wrote that line. and were surprised at how it got to the final version of the episode. turns out it that the guy who shouts 'renly is not right' didn't even have a line. he just said it in the heat of the moment.

episode 2: attack of the HBOGO
No one has mentioned the intros to Podrick Payne and Jaqen H'ghar. Pod's was short but was funny. I liked Jaqen's but the other 2 actors in the cage really didn't do it for me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
No one has mentioned the intros to Podrick Payne and Jaqen H'ghar. Pod's was short but was funny. I liked Jaqen's but the other 2 actors in the cage really didn't do it for me.

Do they say the latter character's full name? If so please tell me how the last name is pronounced.

apana

Wow my original analysis behind why people were saying "Renly is not right" was so wrong. I thought people were saying it since it was ironic considering he is gay and Westerosi culture probably looks down on that as being wrong. That lord said it for the line of succession issues but in that world that line would have been equally applicable to his sexuality so there is a double meaning to it, one that only the viewer can pick up on. But I was 100 percent wrong, it was just something on the commentary that I haven't watched yet.

q_q

Wow my original analysis behind why people were saying "Renly is not right" was so wrong. I thought people were saying it since it was ironic considering he is gay and Westerosi culture probably looks down on that as being wrong. That lord said it for the line of succession issues but in that world that line would have been equally applicable to his sexuality so there is a double meaning to it, one that only the viewer can pick up on. But I was 100 percent wrong, it was just something on the commentary that I haven't watched yet.

I'm not even sure it's really looked down upon. At least not as much as it is in our culture. Whenever I've heard homosexuality mentioned in the books it's always in a mocking manner, like how kids on a playground make fun of a kid for being different, not in a "GOD HATES FAGS" type of way. And GRRM has also mentioned in interviews that in the ancient cultures that inspired a lot of the cultures in his books, it was fairly common for upper class people to take on lovers of the same sex, like Alexander the Great.

bengraven

Episode 2 spoilers
Hot pie is fucking awesome. He is going to be great, everyone is talking about yara and stannis so i needed to give him his props

Kind of sucks they gave away the good Varys scenes in the previews but oh well he is still amazing

Dolorous Edd has the funniest moment in the show. I literally lolled.

Watch it again. Biter is totally CGI for some reason. I know they hired one of them later on, but apparently the schedules didn't match up and they have to film the scenes seperately.

Seriously, look at Biter. He looks like a fucking Force ghost from Jedi.

Do they say the latter character's full name? If so please tell me how the last name is pronounced.

Sounds like "Hagkar" or "Haggar" actually.

I'm not impressed with the actor.

apana

I'm not even sure it's really looked down upon. At least not as much as it is in our culture. Whenever I've heard homosexuality mentioned in the books it's always in a mocking manner, like how kids on a playground make fun of a kid for being different, not in a "GOD HATES FAGS" type of way. And GRRM has also mentioned in interviews that in the ancient cultures that inspired a lot of the cultures in his books, it was fairly common for upper class people to take on lovers of the same sex, like Alexander the Great.

I would imagine homosexuality in Westeros is still seen as "wrong" but acceptable for high lords to do as long as they don't publicize it. I don't think a King could ever come out as having a male lover. The average person and probably a lot of the lower lords would have seen it as wrong.

Puddles

Banned
Do I need to put S02E02 stuff in spoilers? I guess I'll do it just to be safe.

Why the fuck is Ros in this show? This is valuable screen time that they could be using to make Arya or Jon's story more awesome, and instead I have to watch Littlefinger/Ros dialogue?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
tumblr_m1ufdsjQpZ1qmzfpgo1_500.gif
irkHwN0Oiw6PF.gif

Just for comparison's sake. :)

bengraven

Yeah he seems more like he's recording the character for an audio book than actually acting the part. But he was only in one scene so I guess we'll see.

I'm hoping so. He doesn't really look the part, so acting like he's doing an audition on Youtube isn't winning me over.

Do I need to put S02E02 stuff in spoilers? I guess I'll do it just to be safe.

Why the fuck is Ros in this show? This is valuable screen time that they could be using to make Arya or Jon's story more awesome, and instead I have to watch Littlefinger/Ros dialogue?

(series)
Some of us are fairly certain she's basically going to be the Chataya part. So many roles are being cut from the books of minor and minor-minor characters that it makes sense.

Also, they really liked her in episode 1 and wanted her back and she was also willing to simulate sex acts for their sexploitation shots.

Also, that scene with Littlefinger was worth it because he probably has his most evil moment in the entire series...

Plywood, I'm not sure any of these will be useful, but these are potentially gif-able moments from Episode 2.01:
- the Hound smacking that guy over the wall
- Mormont throwing Jon against the wall
- The shot of Melisandre after the poisoning
- The profile shot of Grey Wind going after Jaime

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom