• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

The only character I like better in TV-form is Robert Baratheon. That guy was a non-event in the book, nobody cared about him, Mark Addy truly made him his own. He's the only actor that did that with the character they play, as far as I'm concerned. Most everyone else is just going through the motions to be honest. Especially someone like Jon. He's just too stoic, unfeeling, and completely lacking in personality compared to the image I have of Book Jon. A lot of characters in the show share these qualities actually. It's not quite how I pictured the world/cast of ASOIAF.

I kind of agree. Robert and Viserys both stood out to me in season 1 as being much better than in the books, but the rest ranges from acceptable to bad (with most being acceptable, Cersei being bad). I would say Arya, Tyrion, and Jaime have both been really good so far, nearly matching their book versions, and Robb has really started to bring the character to life in the show and may surpass book Robb. And judging from this season's premier, Cersei's acting is very much improved.

bengraven

Today I feel as if I have done a service to my fellow man.

I was tugging it to Shae before I even knew the books existed. :p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thanks. If they look like crap or you're not feeling it, don't worry about it. It wasn't an episode with a ton of moments that looked like they'd be great gifs.
ihDopZra8bi9o.gif

ibsiO2kJ68YY3T.gif

i8nEmX8viuIPY.gif

^
With dialogue
Without dialogue: http://i.minus.com/iL1ske3c359G4.gif

im6d5WZ2WJOdn.gif

^The bad news on the last .gif is:

1. Huge gif
  2. Had to cut frames to lessen still huge .gif size
  3. Full 20mb gif here: http://i.minus.com/i64znlpVnE5H5.gif
Maybe it's already been done by someone else, but my favorite moment in the episode might be Tyrion's reaction to Cersei's clarification that they have one Stark, not two. Dinklage manages to play really broad comedy very naturally. It's wonderful.

That is, if you're taking more requests.
I'll get to it now.

JDSN

Banned
Davos is that sarcastic angry douchebag from Clash of the Titans!
No wonder why I liked the casting from the start, the dude was the best part of that piece of shit movie.
010COT_Liam_Cunningham_002.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Maybe it's already been done by someone else, but my favorite moment in the episode might be Tyrion's reaction to Cersei's clarification that they have one Stark, not two. Dinklage manages to play really broad comedy very naturally. It's wonderful.

That is, if you're taking more requests.
iTkRaMxF9DC80.gif

I don't know if "One?" will become the new "Her?" but I can only hope.
Awesome. Thanks, Plywood!
No problem. :)

Puddles

Banned
I kind of agree. Robert and Viserys both stood out to me in season 1 as being much better than in the books, but the rest ranges from acceptable to bad (with most being acceptable, Cersei being bad). I would say Arya, Tyrion, and Jaime have both been really good so far, nearly matching their book versions, and Robb has really started to bring the character to life in the show and may surpass book Robb. And judging from this season's premier, Cersei's acting is very much improved.

I really like TV show Bronn.

Dany

Banned
I forgot where this takes places so... COK/SOS
correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Tyrion out Cersie on every lie she has kept? I remember this starting book 2 and it was just a BAD ASS tyrion moment, IDK why it wasn't in The North Remembers.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood, how do you make gifs?
I use Freemake Video Converter to cut out the clip I wish to use, I then convert the clip to .mp4. I import the .mp4 into Photoshop via File -> Import -> Video Frames to Layers. Delete any excess frames, File -> Save for Web & Devices, save as .gif.

Well that's the gist anyway. I've been thinking of making a proper tutorial for GAF for a while now.

bengraven

Emilia Clarke is one of my favorite cast members. Dany is more of a robot in the books.

She's a huge step up from her first couple episodes where her face is basically expressionless.

We learned that she was, indeed, acting as an emotionally damaged girl under an oppressive tyrant brother and not in fact a shitty actress.

Davos is that sarcasitc angry douchebag from Clash of the Titans!
No wonder why I liked the casting from the start, the dude was the best part of that piece of shit movie.
010COT_Liam_Cunningham_002.jpg

HAHA no shit? He was the only person in that movie I liked. Awesome.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Actually, it's when Ros is talking about the brunette, lying that she "doesn't speak the common tongue" and grew up down the street.

And yeah, about Clash of the Titan's and "Davros": Who else went "huuuwah????" on his last scene?

as in, huuwah he die???? Movie now not as much fun

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Actually, it's when Ros is talking about the brunette, lying that she "doesn't speak the common tongue" and grew up down the street.
Ah okay.
She's a huge step up from her first couple episodes where her face is basically expressionless.

We learned that she was, indeed, acting as an emotionally damaged girl under an oppressive tyrant brother and not in fact a shitty actress.
iboWEv61DbPzhO.gif

I'm having to much fun with this now.

Jarmel

Banned
Dany, Robb, Tywin (Charles Dance is just that awesome) and the Mormonts for sure are better than their book counterparts. Jon, Jaime and Littlefinger are about the same as their book versions, not better, but not worse. TV Catelyn is better than book Catelyn. As is the aforementioned Luwin. Most of the other characters are on par with their book versions.

TV Jaime is definitely better than book Jaime. TV Catelyn is better because we can't hear what she's thinking. Same with Dany.

This is how I feel about Robb. I think the actor really gave him more of a personality in this episode.

I cannot emphasize enough how I feel how well they have casted and written most of the characters on the show, often enhancing the character more than the books due in my opinion. Robb is an example of this that is exceptionally good, among others. Of course their is a small group of characters that are a bit different than their book counterparts or lacking the depth/content of the character in the book (usually due to them just not having much time spend on them in the show).

Jarmel

Banned
I cannot emphasize enough how I feel how well they have casted and written most of the characters on the show, often enhancing the character more than the books due in my opinion. Robb is an example of this that is exceptionally good, among others. Of course their is a small group of characters that are a bit different than their book counterparts or lacking the depth/content of the character in the book (usually due to them just not having much time spend on them in the show).

The only one that really seems like a miscast was Headey with Cersei but she's definitely gotten better in season 2 so I'm pretty content. All the actors seem more confident in their roles.

Pkaz01

TV Jaime is definitely better than book Jaime.

I agree about Dany and Cat but can't agree with jaime.

all series spoilers
the shit he says about people in his head are some of the best lines in the books, especially the sarcastic comments. TV jaime is great but its going to be a lot harder to turn his monologue into dialogue and the shit that goes through his head is what makes him so interesting.

JerkShep

Book Baratheons > TV Baratheons for me, S01 Renly is awful.
Better on TV: Theon, Robb, Syrio, Davos, Arya
Better in the books: Eddard, Littlefinger, Loras, Jon Snow

S2 Episode 2 thoughts

While I think the episode was better than many of the early S1 ones, it was a lot weaker than last week's episode. I'd imagine there will be more complaints about a slow pace, with lots of people talking about things they're going to do - Dany's gonna avenge her dead rider, Balon Greyjoy is going to start a rebellion, Davos is going to reward Saan with plunder after King's Landing falls, etc. I'm not complaining, just noting the exposition will certainly lead to more complaints - as will the various plots juggled. But unlike the previous episode, not every character gets screen time, which worked well for this episode imo; no Robb, Catelyn, or Renly.

I'm just going to stop complaining about Ros, it seems clear she's going to have a large role throughout the season (she's basically replacing the role of a minor character from the book), and the writers clearly think they've created something good, despite everyone else disagreeing. I'm not sure what to think about the show's take on Littlefinger either. It almost seems like the writers are giving Gillen scenes to justify hiring him, and many of them don't work imo. While I liked his scene with Ros well enough, in some ways it felt a bit cheesy.

In terms of disappointments, the Arya stuff isn't nearly as good as I hoped it would be. I often say if done right, it could be one of the best arcs on television; it's still early obviously, but so far I'm not impressed. That being said I loved Hot Pie and Lommy. Can't say I'm a fan of Jaquen though, who just comes off as a weird convict in the episode, not a mysteriously dangerous guy who somehow manages to scare even his two fierce cell-mates.

random stuff:
-I really like Saan, as well as that entire scene between him and Davos
-I found the Stannis/Melisandre scene to be rather odd. Stannis was giving off an almost Michael Scott level of comedic awkwardness as he asked Davos and Matthos to leave the room. It seemed a stark contrast to the intensity he displayed in the first episode
-I remember feeling a bit bummed about those first Yara/Asha pics but she was pretty damn good in the episode. She looks feisty, and while she isn't the sexy badass chick from the novel I like her. Balon was great as well.
-Cersei was great. Sarcastic, brooding, venomous - quite the departure from S1.
-and of course Tyrion/Dinklage continues to impress

Jarmel

Banned
I agree about Dany and Cat but can't agree with jaime.

all series spoilers
the shit he says about people in his head are some of the best lines in the books, especially the sarcastic comments. TV jaime is great but its going to be a lot harder to turn his monologue into dialogue and the shit that goes through his head is what makes him so interesting.

NCW though carries the persona and swagger of Jaime so very well. Yes you lose some of his inner dialogue and conflicts but the actor carries his personality so very well through the body language.

S2 Episode 2 thoughts

It's quite remarkable how much better she's gotten. Robb is another one who has really stepped up.

Krispy

S2 Episode 2 thoughts
-I found the Stannis/Melisandre scene to be rather odd. Stannis was giving off an almost Michael Scott level of comedic awkwardness as he asked Davos and Matthos to leave the room. It seemed a stark contrast to the intensity he displayed in the first episode

This fits perfectly with Stannis though. He's described as being awkward with women in the books. It's only natural that he's awkward as all hell with a beautiful, powerful woman.

I'm getting a massive crazy bitch vibe from Cersei at the moment that was sorely lacking last season. Can't wait to see it get worse. That scene with Tyrion was fantastic.

anaron

I'm hearing that (ep2)
the Asha/Yara scene is total shit and lacking the amazing trolling she performs on Theon.
If so, WTF. :mad:

Peru

I'm hearing that (ep2)
the Asha/Yara scene is total shit and lacking the amazing trolling she performs on Theon.
If so, WTF. :mad:

Don't know why anyone would say that. I think most people who were disappointed by her casting will be surprised by how good and feisty she is, and her great smirk as Theon gets owned. Great scene.

People talking about Arya being nominated for supporting role. As much as I like the character... I think the guy who plays Joffrey is just too damned good to passover. He needs to have his nomination. Seriously. No one has been hated as much on television in a long time. He's a damn good actor.

As others have stated they would be up for different awards; and there're a lot of talented actors within this series alone, he does a very good job but it's not an award winning performance, there's so little depth to his character.

As for 'Arya being nominated for supporting role', obviously we'll have to see how the season plays out, but I think a lot of the support comes from fandom of the character over acting ability [Tyrion and Arya are clearly written to be the fan favorites early on, both being downtrodden within their families and offering a more modern perspective - they're instantly likeable characters]. I'm not saying that Williams isn't a talented actress but when there're people arguing she should have been nominated for her small role in season one it's difficult not to get that perception. It's to early to say regarding season 2, does she feature heavily in the second episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom