• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've seen people pissing.

Yeah seriously, the episode opened with it.

Also, if you think shitting can carry the same narrative significance of sex, jeepers creepers. Or that sex is just as gross as distasteful as...

You know what? Forget it. This whole comparison is so baffling to me I'm going to try and walk down a flight of steps to see if I still remember how to do it.

The true test of whether Stannis was miscast will be ACOK
when he's confronting Renly at Storm's End.
To me, the scene in which he's editing the letter confirmed that he was the right choice. Ridiculously stern yet honorable, with a tinge of humanity that makes him more believable.

I always found GRRM's characterization of Renly to be a bit of a ridiculous caricature, anyways. I don't think it makes him any less imposing just because he gets hot and bothered at a gorgeous woman offering herself to him.

Besides, it's implied in the book that he had sex with Melisandre, is it really that much of a stretch to think that he might have enjoyed it?

In my mind and how I read his character, Yes. :D

For the second episode of season two, Game of Thrones ratings basically remained steady.

Sunday’s hour delivered 3.8 million viewers compared to last week’s premiere numbers, which had 3.9 million viewers.

Good to know there was only a small drop.

If i'm not mistaken there's always a huge drop from premieres to 2nd ep right?

Excellent. I'm a time shift guy myself, but good stuff.

Storm of Swords is imminent. Confirmed/renewed yet?

I assume that is a general question about tv shows? Not sure, probably complicated by being a second season. Even less sure about HBO. I think time shift numbers will be released later, which will give total viewership information.

Hm, usually we get the numbers on Tuesdays. I guess we'll get the full break down tomorrow
HBO can get them out a little earlier if need be. The full set with demo breakdowns and whatnot will be out tomorrow.
It depends on the show. Typically there's a lot less advertising to draw viewers in, so retention is a good thing. It would have been better to see growth, but this is fine.
Confirmed/renewed yet?
Not yet. I'm surprised it's taken this long.

EktorPR

Surprising to see the numbers remain that strong, considering a lot of people watched the leaked episode. Ep. 13 numbers should be up to 4 million.

As WiC and a few others have pointed out, this was a holiday weekend plus the episode leaked early. Good numbers when you take everything into consideration.

Gendry and Arya scenes feel exactly as they should. Perfect casting on both parts.

I disliked the unnecessary Ros scene, but god damn @ dat set lighting

Looking at the episode descriptions
it looks like it'll happen during the 7th episode.

It was silly to think that wont happen. Its a huge moment. I'm sad it comes that late though, but it makes sense they have to spread the big parts into different episodes.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I was under the impression that Yara/Asha was uhm... more attractive? I guess they're trying to drive home Theon would fuck anyone. Not that she's as bad as boat girl.

I was under the impression that Yara/Asha was uhm... more attractive? I guess they're trying to drive home Theon would fuck anyone. Not that she's as bad as boat girl.

Really doubt it.

I think she was justly represented.

I wonder show people are going to react to Brienne if this is the response for Asha.

JGS

Banned
Badly directed how? They seemed pretty true to life and not at all The Room'ed.

People fuck, especially in these books.
All the stuff they cut out to fit the book onto the screen, they determine long sex scenes on the basis of their need to the story? I'm not buying that. If that's the case, then the books aren't as good as I would think they are. Just because sex happens in real life does not mean it's of interest for the workld to see it.

I don't have a problem with most of the scenes, but when they drag on and include dialogue that has nothing to do with the sex, it's poorly handled. Theon could have explained his "LIKE A BOSS" conversation any number of ways including with sex. His fake bravado has been called out a few times already so it was fairly redundant.

The isn't a morality stance btw. Sex and HBO go hand in hand. It's a staging/pacing issue. Nearly everytime a sex scene goes longer than 30 seconds on this show (An exception would be drago & Danys), it wastes time for better stories. The brothel scene this episode was pretty decent in terms of the setting and point. Theon feeling up his sister- Completely understood. Hooker's head bobbing in and out of the camera from doggystyle to the exact specifications of the book- Meh, not so much. It's horrible.

No, she's not "hot."

She's definitely described as being fairly masculine in the books. Not Brienne-level masculine, but she's not an object of sexual desire by any means.
I pretty sure Theon describes her as quite the looker when he first meets her. Of course, given the context of his conversation with Balon, it makes since to have her dressed plainly with no makeup.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I wonder show people are going to react to Brienne if this is the response for Asha.
Well I don't recall much on Asha's description apart from Theon liking what he was feeling. As for Brienne they do a constant reminder of her appearance in the book.
I pretty sure Theon describes her as quite the looker when he first meets her. Of course, given the context of his conversation with Balon, it makes since to have her dressed plainly with no makeup.
See, I knew I wasn't crazy!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just realized we haven't even been introduced to Brienne yet. Can't wait, I have a feeling Gwendoline Christie is going to bring some good stuff to the table.

No, she's not "hot."

She's definitely described as being fairly masculine in the books. Not Brienne-level masculine, but she's not an object of sexual desire by any means.

Exactly. She cant look like a princess and command the respect of iron born. I'm glad they hired an actress with some meat on her.

- A few more ratings details from Deadline:
Last night’s second episode of Game of Thrones‘ second season drew 3.8 million viewers at 9 PM, retaining virtually all of the viewership for the HBO fantasy series’ second season premiere (3.9 million viewers), which was a series high. For the night, including the 11 PM encore, GOT averaged 4.9 million viewers. That is slightly higher than that 4.8 million viewers who watched the second season premiere at 9 PM and 11 PM last Sunday, though HBO also had a third airing at 10 PM then, bringing the total viewership for the night to 6.3 million

Plywood - are you up for some more gif-making this week? :D

KingGondo

Banned
Consider Theon's taste in women.

Pretty sure he's just horny... not to mention drunk on the prospect of power.

scosher

Yeah seriously, the episode opened with it.

Also, if you think shitting can carry the same narrative significance of sex, jeepers creepers. Or that sex is just as gross as distasteful as...

You know what? Forget it. This whole comparison is so baffling to me I'm going to try and walk down a flight of steps to see if I still remember how to do it.

I'm not comparing sex to shitting, lol. I'm just responding to your remark that "people fuck in this world, deal with it."

Gratuitous sex scenes (note, I'm not counting Theon's romp with the captain's daughter or Stannis/Melisandre as gratuitous) are just as pointless as showing a scene of someone taking a dump. Obviously the former is more titillating, but it doesn't change the fact that showing a brothel patron getting sucked off while he's peeping at another couple, and later having Littlefinger wipe off the cum dribble on one of his whores, have zero "narrative significance." Unless you'd like to enlighten me on how it does.

It's only 15 seconds so it's not that big of a deal really, but I also found the Littlefinger/Ros scene to be pretty pointless as well, except to remind viewers that yes, Littlefinger is still a piece of shit. It's as if the only purpose is to give Aidan Gillen more screen time cause he's too big of a name otherwise.

Maybe this is why people keep complaining about it.

I get if you haven't read the books, you might be like "WTF?" But that is what it is in the book... the scene doesn't work with an attractive girl and likewise, the scene has some much needed exposition from Theon that develops his character a bit more so you really can't not film it.

Can someone who's read the books go into a little more detail on the white walkers for me? I'm not sure how they're described in the books, but based on how they've been characterized in previous episodes, I've always gotten the sense that they're this evil, ethereal being from beyond the wall. Unfortunately, I don't think that intended depiction will ever fully be realized within the constraints of this show, because when we see them, they're essentially tall people with glowing blue eyes. They're not nearly as menacing as they've been forebode to be.

They are very mysterious.

One important distinction to make is that there are wights and white walkers. White Walkers I believe have sentience, while wights work for the white walkers, and are basically undead humans (think of the night watch guy who came back to life in season 1). I always assumed they were synonyms but they aren't.

suzu

Actually, if you're going by the books... both Theon and Asha are suppose to be pretty attractive looking.

I don't really have a problem with how they're depicted on the show though.

In my mind and how I read his character, Yes. :D

Good to know there was only a small drop.

[Series Spoilers]
There's definitely a human side to stannis. You see it in his remorse for his brother's death, and how his relationship with jon grows while he's at the wall. Its rocky, but it is there.

Quote from ACOK describing Asha:

Ironborn, he knew at a glance; lean and long legged,with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin, strong-sure hands, a dirk at her belt. Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it.

She reads pretty average and roughen up by the sea. Which is what we go, except the short black hair.

[Series Spoilers]
There's definitely a human side to stannis. You see it in his remorse for his brother's death, and how his relationship with jon grows while he's at the wall. Its rocky, but it is there.

I don't deny there's a human side to stannis, but he just doesn't show it. Only one part, ACOK
Renly's death

Even Robert's death didn't cause any emotion to stannis.

I get if you haven't read the books, you might be like "WTF?" But that is what it is in the book... the scene doesn't work with an attractive girl and likewise, the scene has some much needed exposition from Theon that develops his character a bit more so you really can't not film it.

Yea I got that. I never had any beef with the scene my self.... although I did not enjoy watching it lol

From AWOIAF

Asha was fairly unattractive in her youth. After Theon's departure for Winterfell to be Eddard Stark's hostage and ward, Asha became Balon's only remaining child in Pyke. Asha grew into an attractive and bold young woman, and Balon effectively raised her as his heir.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Aaw man! Someone probably spent hours setting all those army figurines up!
You'd think it'd hurt a bit to lay on the guy with the bazooka.

The sex scenes aren't an issue for me personally but I would like to watch with family and friends without having to worry about some over the top and unnecessary sex scene.
On one hand, you got people getting beheaded. On the other, you got the sex. I'm not sure which is more unsuitable for family and friends. It's a weird value system.

I will admit I was surprised by the simulated semen and subsequent snowballing of Ros' complaining client, but I've seen that actress do far more unsanitary things, so it was kinda "ehh" on the shock scale for me.

Gratuitous sex scenes (note, I'm not counting Theon's romp with the captain's daughter or Stannis/Melisandre as gratuitous) are just as pointless as showing a scene of someone taking a dump. Obviously the former is more titillating, but it doesn't change the fact that showing a brothel patron getting sucked off while he's peeping at another couple, and later having Littlefinger wipe off the cum dribble on one of his whores, have zero "narrative significance." Unless you'd like to enlighten me on how it does.

lol I actually missed that last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom