• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_m26z77IKHi1r9h4heo1_1280.jpg

jop1q.png

edit: beat like a red headed stepchild

Solo

I've read the books. Can't blame the books for bad television.

Unless you expect the show to completely alter the storyline and drop Dany in Kings Landing or wherever, you have to blame the source for that. There is no way to not have Dany's plot feel disconnected otherwise.

Book nerds get up in arms over unimportant things like actors' looks and name changes - I cannot fathom the shitstorm tantrum they'd have over reworking Dany's entire story.

Really enjoyed the second episode. I do know however that my friends who haven't read the books are finding it a bit difficult to keep track of the characters. There are a lot of names being thrown around, and a bit of history casually discussed that is essential to understanding some of the drama which is just going over their heads. I'm guessing they might adjust by the third episode.

For me, these two episodes have been a marked improvement over the first season.

bengraven

I got to admit, I don't like Sam's casting.

He kind of comes off as creepy. In the books you feel for him as a human. Something about the way the actor plays him makes him seem like he's harboring some kind of sociopathic chip on his shoulder. In the first season some of the scenes with him and Jon made me think that he is just manipulating Jon into feeling for him because he's going to buttrape him later.

so, as someone who's never read the books, are the Stark direwolves considered 'full grown' now or can we expect them to get even bigger?

I don't think they're fully grown on the show yet. In fact, I don't think Martin ever mentions a moment when they're considered grown, though it's mentioned that they are sexually mature at some point. I suppose they won't get much bigger after that.

That ending... so good.

Guess that cements the obvious from the book (Stannis/Mel), much like Loras/Renly's relationship.

Refresh me of somethings
[CoK/SoS]
When does the riot occur where they almost kill sansa?

Mormont isn't killed until book three right?

bengraven

First event you mentioned will be this season. We saw a few scenes from that in the previews.

Also, someone on another forum mentioned that Balon and Yara do actually have a family resemblance to them.

YLSeh.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Unless you expect the show to completely alter the storyline and drop Dany in Kings Landing or wherever, you have to blame the source for that. There is no way to not have Dany's plot feel disconnected otherwise.

At any rate it's up to the show writers to make her storylines and scenes to be compelling television, books be damned. Dany's storyline with Drogo and Viserys in season 1 was good TV.

AngryMoth

That ending... so good.

Guess that cements the obvious from the book (Stannis/Mel), much like Loras/Renly's relationship.

Refresh me of somethings
[CoK/SoS]
When does the riot occur where they almost kill sansa?

Mormont isn't killed until book three right?
(ACOK)
The riot is about half way through Clash
. Going by the episode descriptions it will happen in episode

(ASOS)
You're right, Mormont is killed about half way through book 3 :(.

At any rate it's up to the show writers to make her storylines and scenes to be compelling television, books be damned. Dany's storyline with Drogo and Viserys in season 1 was good TV.

ACOK
You should be happy they've shown as much of her as they have at this point. In the book she doesn't do anything, except for the House of the Undying, which I have a strong feeling is not going to happen.

Episode 3 spoiler
She's not in the episode at all.

EktorPR

Her two scenes in the second season have been pretty much fantastic, to my eyes. Last night's drama with dead Rahkaro and Irri was chilling, in every possible way.

AngryMoth

You know what, even as a book reader I almost agree. Dany's story in AGOT is way better than anything in subsequent books, and with Emilia Clarke being such a breakout actress it puts them in a pretty tough position really. Just gotta have faith it will all be worth it eventually.

KingGondo

Banned
ACOK
You should be happy they've shown as much of her as they have at this point. In the book she doesn't do anything, except for the House of the Undying, which I have a strong feeling is not going to happen.
Disagree. It's definitely the most memorable part of Dany's storyline from book 2, and
it's literally the only part of season 2 in which Dany gets to do anything triumphant or badass. It's also a huge bonding moment for her and the dragons, and the foreshadowing will blow peoples' minds as the events of ASOS unfold.

Enjoyed the episode, and I really like how they went all-out with Yara and Theon. I also enjoy how the showrunners show us things that are only mentioned or implied in the book, such as
the killing of Robert's bastards, or Stannis and Melisandre having sex. Loved the foreshadowing of "I will give you a son."

AngryMoth said:
You know what, even as a book reader I almost agree. Dany's story in AGOT is way better than anything in subsequent books, and with Emilia Clarke being such a breakout actress it puts them in a pretty tough position really. Just gotta have faith it will all be worth it eventually.
Which is exactly why I feel
the House of the Undying
will be included. It's one of the highlights of Dany's entire storyline.

Ok, so I'm reading ASOS right now-very early in.

In last night's episode they definetely said what happens to Craster's sons...this was not revealed in ACOK correct? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything reading.

ACOK
I just don't think its going to happen. There would be too much effects work required, plus the hiring of someone to play Rhaegar, and there's been no hint of it in previews or anything. Of course they may just be keeping it a secret. I just have my doubts.

Ok, so I'm reading ASOS right now-very early in.

In last night's episode they definetely said what happens to Craster's sons...this was not revealed in ACOK correct? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything reading.

ACOK
Yeah, it's never outright stated. Just implied.

ACOK
I just don't think its going to happen. There would be too much effects work required, plus the hiring of someone to play Rhaegar, and there's been no hint of it in previews or anything. Of course they may just be keeping it a secret. I just have my doubts.

ACOK
Yeah, it's never outright stated. Just implied.

Thank you sir.

Solo

At any rate it's up to the show writers to make her storylines and scenes to be compelling television

I don't disagree. My point is simply that there isn't much to work with. I only read the first three books, but after book one, her character
a) remains isolated from everyone and b) doesn't do much
. I think the TV show has done a fairly great job with her, all things considered.

I wonder if GRRM will EVER get
her across the sea
, lolz.

I don't think making Dany's scenes interesting will be a problem beyond this season. There isn't a heck of a lot to work with when it comes to her character in book 2, but fortunately for the writers this is not the case in later books. They'll definitely have to get creative though if they want viewers to maintain interest in her character going into the 3rd season.

KingGondo

Banned
ACOK
My guess is that they'll (ASOS)
still do it, but in a toned-down way that gets the message across (Dany's dragons defending her, foreshadowing the Red Wedding). I honestly doubt they'll get into the Azor Ahai stuff too deeply at this point. They can always introduce it later if the series runs that long. I agree that getting it across exactly as in the books would cost way too much money, especially when you still have the Battle of the Blackwater ahead.

I don't appreciate Stannis showing feelings, at all.

He was lusting in the ep. This is one of his most defining characteristics. No feelings, pure stone.

I would have appreciated stannis just going, "goddamn it woman, i will fuck you if that's what is needed." and proceeded to emotionless fuck.

Anyways. I don't know how i feel about.

ACOK Spoilers.
It seems that they will use the sex to connect to Mel birthing shadows. Which IMO is a stretch. AFAIR i don't think that MEL was showing a belly for the shadow, when davos saw her in storms end. Also that it was required for her to initiate a pregnancy to create the shadow

yacobod

Banned
I don't disagree. My point is simply that there isn't much to work with. I only read the first three books, but after book one, her character
a) remains isolated from everyone and b) doesn't do much
. I think the TV show has done a fairly great job with her, all things considered.

All I'm saying is that we don't have to sacrifice good TV for slavish devotion to the novels. If PJ could deviate from the LoTR, HBO can deviate from GURM.

The books and tv show are 2 separate entities. And if i were a betting man, I'd wager the TV show has a better chance of getting finished than the book series :)

Solo

All I'm saying is that we don't have to sacrifice good TV for slavish devotion to the novels. If PJ could deviate from the LoTR, HBO can deviate from GURM.

Do you really want faux Dany deaths for "dramatic effect"? For every wise deviation PJ made, he also made one equally as dumb or pointless.

ACOK
I'm sure we'll get the House of the Undying. It absolutely does not require a large amount of CGI work. That whole thing could be done 95% practically and still be as awesome and trippy as it is in the book. Only effects-y part is the burning and that can be very brief. All it needs is a good director and set design.

ADWD
If people are getting frustrated with Dany's story now, just imagine the outcry a few years from now rofl. I hope they do some maaaajor changes with her.

KingGondo

Banned
ACOK Spoilers.
It seems that they will use the sex to connect to Mel birthing shadows. Which IMO is a stretch. AFAIR i don't think that MEL was showing a belly for the shadow, when davos saw her in storms end. Also that it was required for her to initiate a pregnancy to create the shadow
ACOK:
I'm pretty sure GRRM implies that Melisandre and Stannis are the "parents" of the shadow that brings down Storm's End. I can't recall about the one that kills Renly though.

Also, I have no problem with Carice Van Houten getting naked more often.

gdt

Stannis is one of my favorite characters, did not like that sex scene at all. He should be cumming with a scowl on his face, not all hot and bothered. Really hated it.

Besides that, episode was great. Show has returned with a major swagger. Love seeing good shows turn great in S2.

bluemax

Banned
The Theon sex scene is canonical to the books, so it theoretically serves some purpose at least.

The purpose in the book was to remind us what a creepy perv GURM is.

I laugh at the sex scene complaints. The fat man loves him some gratuitous unnecessary sex.

Stannis is one of my favorite characters, did not like that sex scene at all. He should be cumming with a scowl on his face, not all hot and bothered. Really hated it.

Besides that, episode was great. Show has returned with a major swagger. Love seeing good shows turn great in S2.

I'm pretty sure no one does that. I love the books but Martin writes some of the worst sex scenes I've ever read, and his suggestions on how characters have sex is equally as bad.

Yea, Stannis doesn't enjoy boning his wife. But no red blooded straight man is going to go through the motions like a dead fish with Melisandre.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I don't appreciate Stannis showing feelings, at all.

He was lusting in the ep. This is one of his most defining characteristics. No feelings, pure stone.

It's unfortunate, they've done so well with Davos's casting but Stannis is really a misstep. Not feeling the same sense of tension I felt with him around other people in the books.

Kak.efes

Can someone who's read the books go into a little more detail on the white walkers for me? I'm not sure how they're described in the books, but based on how they've been characterized in previous episodes, I've always gotten the sense that they're this evil, ethereal being from beyond the wall. Unfortunately, I don't think that intended depiction will ever fully be realized within the constraints of this show, because when we see them, they're essentially tall people with glowing blue eyes. They're not nearly as menacing as they've been forebode to be.

scosher

Anyone else feel they botched Asha/Yara's intro? I'm not talking about the casting. I'm speaking strictly of how Asha is first presented to us.

In the books, she's the one who actually comes onto Theon, pretending to be some fisherman's wife looking to runaway with the "lord of Pyke." And when she finally reveals herself to Theon, she makes a great remark about how her husband is her axe, and her suckling babe is the dagger between her breasts. If I recall, she also revealed herself at a dinner table with other iron-born men, who all laughed at Theon afterwards, and you could tell just from her intro that she had respect from other men. But here she just dutifully stands by her father's side.

Maybe I'm biased cause Asha's one of my favorite characters, and her great intro was a big reason for it, but the show's version seems rather tame in comparison.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can someone who's read the books go into a little more detail on the white walkers for me? I'm not sure how they're described in the books, but based on how they've been characterized in previous episodes, I've always gotten the sense that they're this evil, ethereal being from beyond the wall. Unfortunately, I don't think that intended depiction will ever fully be realized within the constraints of this show, because when we see them, they're essentially tall people with glowing blue eyes. They're not nearly as menacing as they've been forebode to be.

If I remember correctly they're supposed to be tall icy like figure, see through in a way. They also move in an odd way instead of feral like they do on the show. The only similarity are the eyes and the sound they make. I really wish they had gotten this right since they're such a supernatural force in that world, the feral like things they're using in their place don't really have the same impact.

JGS

Banned
Anyone else feel they botched Asha/Yara's intro? I'm not talking about the casting. I'm speaking strictly of how Asha is first presented to us.
The book version sounds more detaled but taking the show angle only, I liked the twist well enough.

They'll definitely have to get creative though if they want viewers to maintain interest in her character going into the 3rd season.

[ASoS]
Huh?? She has the best scene of the series in Book 3, hands down, when she swerves on the Slavemasters. I high fived the bus driver when I read that on the way to work and we almost jackknifed one of those W.B. Mason paper trucks.

ACOK

She may not do a lot, but in the book,
there is a lot of face time with her and her dragons... Most of her storyline in the book, is playing mother to her dragons, which is more character development than anything else.
I hope their budget allows this to play out. So far it has been disappointing.

Meier

This has probably been discussed, but I thought Biter looked pretty ridiculous. His schtick didn't come across as well without a dropping of his name or him talking some at first. They didn't really express just how terrifying those guys were supposed to be.

Asha/Yara was quite unattractive but they did a great job at casting someone who looked quite a bit like Baelon which I guess they determined was more important.

KingGondo

Banned
The true test of whether Stannis was miscast will be ACOK
when he's confronting Renly at Storm's End.
To me, the scene in which he's editing the letter confirmed that he was the right choice. Ridiculously stern yet honorable, with a tinge of humanity that makes him more believable.

I always found GRRM's characterization of Renly to be a bit of a ridiculous caricature, anyways. I don't think it makes him any less imposing just because he gets hot and bothered at a gorgeous woman offering herself to him.

Besides, it's implied in the book that he had sex with Melisandre, is it really that much of a stretch to think that he might have enjoyed it?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ACOK
Looking at the episode descriptions
it looks like it'll happen during the 7th episode.

I don't think they're fully grown on the show yet. In fact, I don't think Martin ever mentions a moment when they're considered grown, though it's mentioned that they are sexually mature at some point. I suppose they won't get much bigger after that.

In the books, (not a spoiler, about the direwolves size, but I'd thought I'd spoiler it anyways)
I think there is a mention of them being fully grown in the second half of ASOS (There is a certain scene I'm think of).
In the show though, I think they are just going for fully grown right now, I can't see them getting much bigger, they are already huge.

Episode 3 spoiler
She's not in the episode at all.

Episode 3 spoiler
You're saying no Dany in episode 3? If you go the episodes page of game of thrones on the HBO website, the picture/background for episode 3 is of Dany, and they are always shots taken from that episode, so I'm pretty sure she's in it. Are you just basing that off her not being in the synopsis?

Regarding Joffrey and episode 3:
I just want to know what this horrifying bedroom preference of his is, that he threatens Sansa with or that he implies he did to her.

Puddles

Banned
I felt that needed to be in the show. I understand the time constraints, but the scene with Ros and Littlefinger could have been cut. We all know Littlefinger's a prick, we don't need it to be constantly thrown in our face.

I think the issue with that might be that they need to give Aidan Gillen involved on the show. He's definitely one of the bigger names they have, since he played Carcetti on The Wire. He probably took the part with the expectation that he'd be on screen a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom