• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Well, Asha's introduction was practically designed to be filmed so seeing them reduce it to what it is in the show sucks; especially when it could have been one of the finest scenes yet.

apana

Well, Asha's introduction was practically designed to be filmed so seeing them reduce it to what it is in the show sucks; especially when it could have been one of the finest scenes yet.

There are a lot of budget and time constraints. I'm not happy with the Asha/Yara introduction or actress but I'll live with it. The rest of the Greyjoy parts especially Balon and that random dude talking to Theon were great. The special effects that went into making those buildings, that probably cost them a lot as it is. Anyone have a link to the music playing as Theon is riding with Asha/Yara?

Shady859

HOLY CLIFFHANGER BATMAN!!!

I love this show but it makes me want to watch it like I did season one. I saved um all up and had a 2 night marathon. All these shows do this to me, i'm impatient! LOL I suppose I really should read the books. I did that with Walking Dead but now i'm almost to present day in comics and kinda bummed it's almost over in that format as well...

My GF did comment about there being ALOT of sex in this sepisode compared to previous. Doesn't bother me but I can see where some people have problems with it. Alot of it adds nothing to the story but it's simply how things were back in those days. I have power, I will fuck you or you will die for betraying my command. We did get a kick out of dude getting fresh with his s..t.r though.

Ark

I'll be honest, the sex in this episode would have been more bearable if Theon's girl didn't make me want to look at the boat and not the girl.

Kuroyume

Banned
I watched the episode again and it's weird how much better it is the second time around. I did the same thing with the first episode and also enjoyed it more after watching it again. I think it's because I have a certain pacing in my head from the books so when I watch these episodes I'm thrown off by how fast they're moving with the story. When I watch them again I know what to expect.

A few things:

- During the Littlefinger/Ros thing did anyone think Littlefinger was referring to a character that appears later in the books? I kind of thought so although it's very vague. Btw, I actually liked that scene mostly because I like Littlefinger. I couldn't care any less for Ros though... And, yeah people should be reminded that Littlefinger is evil. The average viewer probably has forgotten by now how he screwed Ned over.

- Is it me or did Stannis fuck Melisandre without pulling his pants down? I'm guessing he was just grinding her a bit and they saved the penetration for off screen.

- I recall watching the Rhokaro death scene when I watched the episode for the first time and thinking to myself that I didn't realize he died in the book. I checked tumblr last night and saw that some people were freaking out that they killed him when he doesn't die in that book. I guess Rhokaro isn't important but what was the point of killing him. I don't feel the scene had any impact at all.

- Yara (I hate calling her that) is going to be great. She doesn't look like the beauty described in the books but I think she's more believable. Everyone looked pretty miserable/terrible on Pyke. I also think her body is much more believable for a warrior female than some walking stick. She's not supposed to be Xena... Who btw was a bit soft herself. She's a commander and she's good at throwing axes. That's something I think the actress can pull off without looking ridiculous.

tumblr_m0qoq3dV9T1qbr9p2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m26z0l6sWm1roc6voo1_500.png

tumblr_lpcvhmHS6J1qbidbp.jpg

tumblr_lvsl95qclH1qlv2d3o2_500.jpg

She's not Charlize Theron but she's cute. I think the make up people made her look awful on purpose. :p

Btw, I got a kick of Balon referring to his son as a whore. lol More Balon trolling please...

I can't believe some of you are equating having sex with taking a dump. I'd hate to be your significant other.

Can't wait for episode 3. More sex please.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I can't believe some of you are equating having sex with taking a dump. I'd hate to be your significant other.

Can't wait for episode 3. More sex please.
You mean you don't like it when people take a dump on your chest while having sex?

Everyone has different tastes, but I for one would bang the iron price out of Yara. I expect great things from her and the guy playing Theon going forward.

Crisco

Banned
Come on people, even my girlfriend laughed at the back to back sex scenes. Some of you need to re-tune your funny detector.

calza

- Yara (I hate calling her that) is going to be great. She doesn't look like the beauty described in the books but I think she's more believable. Everyone looked pretty miserable/terrible on Pyke. I also think her body is much more believable for a warrior female than some walking stick. She's not supposed to be Xena... Who btw was a bit soft herself. She's a commander and she's good at throwing axes. That's something I think the actress can pull off without looking ridiculous.

relC9.jpg

tirminyl

You mean you don't like it when people take a dump on your chest while having sex?

"Imma shit on these walls Ray!"

I hate the name "Yara" but like others I was expecting a little more beauty but she has...swagger and that makes me all but want her more. I'll be her suckling babe.

Famassu

Maybe in a shocking twist people will complain that Brienne isn't ugly enough.
She isn't the hideous beast or the ugliest woman in the world like she's described in the books, so no, if someone wanted to be as asinine about Brienne's ugliness as they are about certain other characters' beauty, then they should complain about that too. She isn't nearly ugly enough. She's maybe "hollywood ugly", but overall she looks pretty average. Of course to the Impossible Standards GAF that equals to the most hideous thing in the world, so they are perfectly fine with that side of casting.

Also, Asha's casting is pretty much perfect, if she can keep that cocky attitude up. And she fits the world too, I'm happy that they've taken GRRM's world of beauties and toned it down a bit (not that Asha was ever described as the kind of hottie some of those artworks show, lulz @ lusty nerd fans)

If i'm not mistaken there's always a huge drop from premieres to 2nd ep right?

Depends on the show, but typically shows have a significant drop from the season opener to episode 2, so given the holiday weekend and the episode being "out there" all week, those episode 2 numbers are really good. IMO, this sets up the ratings to probably grow pretty steadily as the season goes, similar to season 2 of True Blood (maybe not that drastic of a growth though).

Consider Theon's taste in women.

Pretty sure he's just horny... not to mention drunk on the prospect of power.

Just what I was going to say. Theon horn-dogging so tough.

- Is it me or did Stannis fuck Melisandre without pulling his pants down? I'm guessing he was just grinding her a bit and they saved the penetration for off screen.

Classic TV and film sex scene, for some reason people have an awful lot of clothing on lol.

As something that doesn't like the Ironborn from the books, I cannot emphasize enough how awesome the casting of Balon is and the writing for him in that episode was perfect. His voice and delivery were perfect and we quickly were able to learn what Balon is all about and what he values despite being in only one scene.

Shady859

Somebody likes it, the internet has it's scare of scat sites. lol

That Yara girl is hot in real life, agreed on them going for the more plain and manly look with the makeup. Internet says she's an actress and comedian Gemma Whelan.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Crossposting from the poster thread:

GOT-SUB-REG-WAVE-ONE.jpg

Rhys Cooper
"Call the Banners" series. - WAVE ONE
This is for the first 3 of the regular edition banners in the series.
Send in the vanguard.

Each banner print is :
12 x 38 inches .
Heavy art paper stock .
Four colors with metallics .
All prints signed with matching edition numbers.

Regular Edition: $90
Regular Subscription: $180
Variant Subscription: $240

Where to buy? Here, at some point later on tonight. This is a timed edition, so run size will be determined by the amount of pre-orders.

I haven't read through the thread but is there an explaination somewhere of why the producers are making so many changes to the story? A lot of the changes are understandable with the time contrainsts and the ages of some of the characters but I don't understand why they're killing off characters that lived in the book or renaming others?

Did Asha sound too similar to some other character's name?

Also, I finished the books so I really haven't had issues following the story but a few of my co-workers are complaining that the show is doing a poor job introducing the new characters and they're having a hard time following what's happening because of that.

I think that Ballon was introduced nicely but I kind of have to agree about the other new characters. Stannis, Mellisandre and Davos are kind of just thrown at you in the first episode without any backstory presented. I think they only just briefly mentioned the thing about Davos' fingers last night and I doubt that anyone who didn't read the books understood.

tirminyl

I guarantee there will still be a bevy of complaints about her appearance though.

I am starting a blog called "briennethebeautynotbeautifulenuff.blogspot.com"
j/k

Crisco said:
Was Joffrey (not Cersei) ordering the murder of Robert's bastards a change from the books?

It happened "off book", you hear about it but that was it. I don't recall it every being specifically addressed.

I haven't read through the thread but is there an explaination somewhere of why the producers are making so many changes to the story? A lot of the changes are understandable with the time contrainsts and the ages of some of the characters but I don't understand why they're killing off characters that lived in the book or renaming others?

Also, I finished the books so I really haven't had issues following the story but a few of my co-workers are complaining that the show is doing a poor job introducing the new characters and they're having a hard time following what's happening because of that.

I think that Ballon was introduced nicely but I kind of have to agree about the other new characters. Stannis, Mellisandre and Davos are kind of just thrown at you in the first episode without any backstory presented. I think they only just briefly mentioned the thing about Davos' fingers last night and I doubt that anyone who didn't read the books understood.

1. Just to be safe I will spoiler this - series
Dany is like 13 or 14 in the books. Knowing what happens with her and Drogo is not very good and is illegal to portray in some countries so her age was raised to 17...and since some things surround her age everyone else needed to be aged. Also some characters may not be important in the future based on their knowledge from GRRM. Which could be a spoiler for us book readers.

2. Too familiar to Osha living in Winterfell.

3. Agree about Dragonstone introduction.

Wait a sec...........Is Gendry on his way to the Wall to become one of the Nights Watch? If so then would that prevent him from being king? (Assuming he really is one of the rightful heirs) Also does Jon Snow still not know of his fathers death or did he already receive this news and I just missed it? (I never read the books and all this may be completely inaccurate)

ultron87

Also does Jon Snow still not know of his fathers death or did he already receive this news and I just missed it? (I never read the books and all this may be completely inaccurate)

He attempted to desert from the Wall in episode 10 of last season because he wanted to help Robb avenge Ned.

apana

I think the name change was fine, the truth is I think some people would have gotten Asha and Osha confused. Hell I confused the names of Viserys and Varys the first season eventhough they are two very different characters. Lily Allen should have been Asha, it would have been so awesomely akward and she has the right attitude.

Wait a sec...........Is Gendry on his way to the Wall to become one of the Nights Watch? If so then would that prevent him from being king? (Assuming he really is one of the rightful heirs) Also does Jon Snow still not know of his fathers death or did he already receive this news and I just missed it? (I never read the books and all this may be completely inaccurate)

He finds out in the season 1 finale. It (along with Fighting alongside Robb) is the reason why he runs from the Nights Watch and Samwell and Co have to chase after him to bring him back.

He attempted to desert from the Wall in episode 10 of last season because he wanted to help Robb avenge Ned.

Avenge Ned? I thought he only knew his father was captured...IF THAT EVEN. But I do not recall him knowing his father was actually beheaded.

Also since when does the bastard have no claim?

apana

I don't think anyone has complained about Brienne, just didn't expect Yara/Asha to look so homely.

People are complaining that she is not ugly enough. I've seen these sorts of comments a few times in this and other threads. All they need to do is look at some of the leaked pictures, she looks just fine for the role. How she acts is another matter, I'll have to wait and see.

bastards have no claims.

Which makes the show's explaination for why Robert's bastards are killed nonsense. In the book they are killed because they were evidence that Baratheons are always born with black hair.
I think the name change was fine, the truth is I think some people would have gotten Asha and Osha confused. Hell I confused the names of Viserys and Varys the first season eventhough they are two very different characters. Lily Allen should have been Asha, it would have been so awesomely akward and she has the right attitude.
Thank you, I remember that there was another character in the books whose name was close to Asha and it was confusing me and it is Osha.
Also since when does the bastard have no claim?
That's well established in the books but a bastard can be made true born by a king.

KingGondo

Banned
Melisandre is beautiful and talented but she is two inches too short! THIS SHOW IS BULLSHIT!
Haha, pretty much.

I love fan culture.

Is it not enough that one of your favorite book series ever is being adapted into a big budget HBO television adaptation?

NO. Lena Headey always has the same expression, and Peter Dinklage's accent isn't perfect, and they changed Asha's name, and... and... and...

Ianan

I managed to get my parents in to GoT over the past two days, watched every single episode with them (Super awkward at times) up to S2 E2.
I'm currently up to AFFC in the books so my memory is a littly foggy in places, especially the end of episode 2. I have no memory of Craster taking that baby boy out in the middle of the night to be given to what looked like a White Walker.

Did this happen in the books?

I've seen him kick a man to death.

I noticed they re-cast Lommy Greenhands from the last ep of S1, choosing a younger replacement. Man it must suck to lose a small role on a big production like this. I always get bummed thinking about some of the Harry Potter extras who weren't brought back for the entire series. Man it would suck to be a kid having the time of your life in Hogwarts, hoping for it to last a decade only to be replaced by another kid actor after one movie lol

- During the Littlefinger/Ros thing did anyone think Littlefinger was referring to a character that appears later in the books? I kind of thought so although it's very vague.
Series Spoilers
Yes, but I doubt that Qyburn could afford to buy a whore out right. He is an ex-maester that runs around with one of the shadiest sellsword company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom