• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikael

+ Lots of Ayra / Gendry / Hotpie chemistry. Loved it to bits. Maisie deserves an Emmy.
+ Pyke is exactly as I imagined it. And I don't even like Pyke (I would salt the Iron Islands and fishing spots if I would be King), but the whole Ironborn plotline was executed masterfully
+ No stupid sexposition this time. How can anyone say that pointless sex has got worse this seaon? Season 1 was chockfull of shitty sex scenes which added nothing to the plot. Here each one of them have had relevance in order to advance the plot and / or build characters, unlike certain silly blowjob during the first season
+ Very well adaptation / summarization of the plot all around, the majority of the changes were for the better (like Bronn becoming leader of the city watch). Book purists can blow me (and I have read every single book too)
+ The extra money really shows in. There's much, much more needed scope in this second season, thanks God, because the show needed it badly. But seriously, pay more extras, a Kalasar is suppoused to be impressive and the King's Landing throne room is the place where a whole continent is ruled from
+ Davos Seaworth is even better on the series. At first I wasn't sure when I saw his actor (I imagined him to be a tad younger) but he excelled a lot

- I don't like what they made with Stannis character, not at all. He looked way too much insecure, nervous and neurotic for my taste. Stannis is suppoused to be iron - willed, martial, rigid, a kind of a Prussian King without any ounce of charisma. His whole sex scene with Melissandre, albeit relevant to the plot, it was badly executed: he is not suppoused to be a man of passion, but of duty. Completely out of character
- Petyr is suppoused to be a bajillion times more astute than any other person of the series with the (yet to be proved) exception of Varys. To see him owned by Cersei, no less, is a far too big deviation from his character, even if the "power is power" scene helped to convey Cersei's vision of political power and the running theme of the series, me thinks

Solo

I guarantee there will still be a bevy of complaints about her appearance though.

Honestly, I have nothing but sympathy for the creative team of this show. With this ludicrously rabid fanbase, they can. not. win. If they deviate too much people whine about not being true to the source. If they follow the source too closely, people whine that its bad TV.

Truly a shitty position to be in. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

apana

Honestly, I have nothing but sympathy for the creative team of this show. With this ludicrously rabid fanbase, they can. not. win. If they deviate too much people whine about not being true to the source. If they follow the source too closely, people whine that its bad TV.

People always say that when they see fan reactions to an adaptation, "oh guys stop complaining you're the worst fans ever". Song of Ice and Fire fans have been nothing but helpful to both George and the producers of the show. Complaints don't mean that we hate the show.

bengraven

Are you talking about (series)
Qyburn?

2Ufi9.jpg

Gregorn

- I don't like what they made with Stannis character, not at all. He looked way too much insecure, nervous and neurotic for my taste. Stannis is suppoused to be iron - willed, martial, rigid, a kind of a Prussian King without any ounce of charisma. His whole sex scene with Melissandre, albeit relevant to the plot, it was badly executed: he is not suppoused to be a man of passion, but of duty. Completely out of character

That's actually how I imagined him. He was constantly persuaded by other people to do things, I can't even think of an action he chose to do himself.

"Stannis, there's this new God and you should do everything I tell you because that is the only way you'll win."

"O-o-ok..."

"Stannis, don't listen to Melisandre"

"N-n..no, but please, stay next to me in case you're right and she does something bad to me."

Solo

People always say that when they see fan reactions to an adaptation, "oh guys stop complaining you're the worst fans ever". Song of Ice and Fire fans have been nothing but helpful to both George and the producers of the show. Complaints don't mean that we hate the show.

There are valid, legit reasons to complain.

And then there is the "I pictured Jaime differently", "Dany's eyes should be purple!", "Cersei isn't hot enough!", "OMG they combined two inconsequential characters into one!", etc. type of nonsense that so often pervades this thread.

I feel sorry for the cast members if they have to read that stuff. Poor girl that plays Asha/Yara is getting hammered, and I don't think she looks that bad. She doesn't look like how she was described in the book, but I've really liked her performance so far. Or last season with Michelle Fairley as Catelyn. Not what was expected but she's done a great job.

I think (aside from the stableboy in Season 1 and Shae) they've done a great job with casting. Many of the characters in the TV show just feel better to me than they're book counterparts. Most of the others are on about the same level, so no better or worse.

apana

And then there is the "I pictured Jaime differently", "Dany's eyes should be purple!", "Cersei isn't hot enough!", "OMG they combined two inconsequential -characters into one!", etc. type of nonsense that so often pervades this thread.

You're always going to get some of that as various fans have their own little details they'd like to see but most have dealt with the changes very well. I don't get the sense that George or David and Dan are getting any major criticism thrown their way and they know how to wade through fan criticism and look for the major issues.

I feel sorry for the cast members if they have to read that stuff. Poor girl that plays Asha/Yara is getting hammered, and I don't think she looks that bad. She doesn't look like how she was described in the book, but I've really liked her performance so far. Or last season with Michelle Fairley as Catelyn. Not what was expected but she's done a great job.

I think (aside from the stableboy in Season 1 and Shae) they've done a great job with casting. Many of the characters in the TV show just feel better to me than they're book counterparts. Most of the others are on about the same level, so no better or worse.

I think complaints about casting choices are valid. The only way to really shut people up if they don't like the way you look is by giving a great performance, that's an actor's job anyways. Some people didn't think Catelyn was attractive enough but she gave a damn good performance and now everyone supports her. Yara/Asha hasn't had enough lines to do that yet.

agrajag

Banned
I hate being mean to people, but I hate "Yara." The actress just isn't right. There's no sense of danger to her. Even if the actress wasn't hot, I would prefer someone with sharp, angular features.

IDK, the purple eyes complaint seems kind of valid to me. It's a major trait of the Targaryens that get's mentioned in the books constantly and I'm not sure why it would have been difficult to achieve on screen.

Ikael

That's actually how I imagined him. He was constantly persuaded by other people to do things, I can't even think of an action he chose to do himself.

"Stannis, there's this new God and you should do everything I tell you because that is the only way you'll win."

"O-o-ok..."

"Stannis, don't listen to Melisandre"

"N-n..no, but please, stay next to me in case you're right and she does something bad to me."

Not at all. I think that his character is very well summarized by the whole story about his hunting hawk back when he was young. He is determined to do what is right (or at least, what he believes it is right), and he is willing to sacrifize everything in order to do it, namby - pamby feelings and conventionalisms be damned. New God offers a better political power grip than the Gods you were educated with? burn the old Gods. Smuggler saves your ass? Give him a title, fuck the whole "lowly pheasants do not belong to royalty" thing. If anything, Stannis is consistent to a point of being way too much rigid for his own good. He is the antithesis of the modern politician, and I love him for that.

IDK, the purple eyes complaint seems kind of valid to me. It's a major trait of the Targaryens that get's mentioned in the books constantly and I'm not sure why it would have been difficult to achieve on screen.

They apparently did testing with various contacts and stuff and could never get it to look quite right so they just scrapped it entirely.

agrajag

Banned

While we're on that subject, why didn't they dye Cersei's eyebrows blond? Her eyebrows are really dark, so it looks like her hair is dyed, not natural.

edit: disappointed in Rorge too. I understand that the nose thing was probably expensive to pull off. But the actor just looks like a regular ruffian, not the scary beast that he is in the books.

Pyke looked fucking EXACTLY how I imagined it. Absolute perfection. Theon was the stand-out of the episode for me. Arya's stuff is turning out very well too.

apana

Pyke looked fucking EXACTLY how I imagined it. Absolute perfection. Theon was the stand-out of the episode for me. Arya's stuff is turning out very well too.

Alfie Allen as Theon was the standout performance of the episode. He has gotten command of his character and knows just what to do. I haven't seen any of his other work so I don't know how good he has been in other roles.

Rakharo dead...Wonder what they are thinking for that?

They are going to let me replace him as Irri's love interest.

They apparently did testing with various contacts and stuff and could never get it to look quite right so they just scrapped it entirely.

Yeah they did, but they decided that it would impact the performances too much as you couldn't see the actors actual eyes, which gave off this dead eyes vibe/couldn't express an emotion through the eyes at all.

I'm sure it just looked very weird as well. Stuff like this I'm glad the show just goes for a more grounded, realistic look. I hope they don't do ADWD light spoiler
Purple/blue beards

Mission

The stuff with Dany traveling thru the barren wastes to the Far East is really disconnected from the rest of the show and pretty poorly done.

though, this is what I thought of her story in the books. I pretty much didn't read it for a whole book, until she
rescued that city of slaves

scosher

Yeah they did, but they decided that it would impact the performances too much as you couldn't see the actors actual eyes, which gave off this dead eyes vibe/couldn't express an emotion through the eyes at all.

I'm sure it just looked very weird as well. Stuff like this I'm glad the show just goes for a more grounded, realistic look. I hope they don't do ADWD light spoiler
Purple/blue beards

And cue Hunger Games comparisons.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so I just finished Storm of Swords. Season Four is going to be mind-blowing.

agrajag

Banned

Purple/blue beards

Wouldn't the eye thing be very easy to do with CG?

Kuroyume

Banned

And then there is the "I pictured Jaime differently", "Dany's eyes should be purple!", "Cersei isn't hot enough!", "OMG they combined two inconsequential characters into one!", etc. type of nonsense that so often pervades this thread.

Is someone saying that a they pictured a character looking a certain way rabid? No, it's not. You're blowing things out of proportion.

Hey guys, I let my brother finger blast me! Funny, right!?

I've only watched the series, not read the books, but this came off to me as a pure power play. She knew what she was doing and yeah, she could have stopped him... but to be able to hold it over his head that he couldn't even tell him own sister from just another whore he wanted to bang - it cemented that he was out of touch with his own family.

It was awesome watching him squirm under the thought that he been played the fool in the most demeaning of ways. 'Specially right after watching the scene on the ship.

aceface

It's funny because the chick who plays Melisandre owned a critical fan on twitter who argued that Mel and Stannis never had sex (whole series spoiler)
with a quote from a dance with dragons of all things https://twitter.com/#!/caricevhouten/status/189411377297891328

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's only implied.

I'd say it's much stronger than an implication:

"He gives the boys to the gods. Come the white cold, he does, and of late it comes more often.”

[…] “What gods?” Jon was remembering that they’d seen no boys in Craster’s Keep, nor men either, save Craster himself.

“The cold gods,” she said. “The ones in the night. The white shadows.”

[…]"What color are their eyes?" he asked her.

"Blue. Blue as bright blue stars, and as cold."

She has seen them, he thought. Craster lied.

So while it doesn't actually SHOW him doing it, they do outright say he does it. When I think of things that happen in the show that were only implied in the books I think more about Loras and Renly's homosexual relationship that is much more limited to only hints.

I'd say it's much stronger than an implication:

So while it doesn't actually SHOW him doing it, they do outright say he does it. When I think of things that happen in the show that were only implied in the books I think more about Loras and Renly's homosexual relationship that is much more limited to only hints.

Thanks for posting. I knew I remembered it being pretty direct in the book, and is about as direct as it gets.

Ah, well at least they tried. The other option would have been coloring her eyes in every scene with CG but that would have been really expensive I would guess. I'd actually prefer that those funds go elsewhere.

Edit: Wait, people are arguing that Stannis and Mel never had sex? smh.

gate777

Just watched episode 2. Pretty damn good.

One thing I would have changed character wise would be to switch Davos with Stannis; seems to me that they're more suited for opposite roles.

Oh, and Carice Van Houten oozes sex appeal. Bravo to the casting crew for selecting her.

Kthreev

aceface

I don't use Twitter so I'm not sure, but this link just redirects me to twitters homepage. Is the link bad, or do I just have no idea what I'm doing?

Sorry, I was on the Ipad so it went to the mobile site...link should be fixed now. If it doesn't (all books spoilers)
It's a quote from Melisandre's first chapter in ADwD that says "without Stannis around, her bed had seen little use."

I hate being mean to people, but I hate "Yara." The actress just isn't right. There's no sense of danger to her. Even if the actress wasn't hot, I would prefer someone with sharp, angular features.

I'm willing to give her a chance. I didn't care for Catelyn in the beginning last season but she's grown on me and does a nice job.

But reading Asha's physical description in A Clash of Kings and its not much like "Yara":
Ironborn, he knew at a glance; lean and long-legged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin, strong sure hands, a dirk at her belt. Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it. He judged her a few years older than he was, but no more than five-and-twenty. She moved as if she was used to a deck beneath her feet.

Its just kind of disappointing since Asha is one of my favorites in the books and she's not really at all how I pictured her.

But beyond that, they kind of sucked the life out of her reveal. Its especially funny in the books because Theon is basically bad mouthing Asha to her face when he doesn't realize who she is and he's bragging to her about all of his grand plans of marrying Asha off to some lord and outsmarting all of his uncles, only to have all of that come crashing down when its revealed who she really is. The whole thing has more buildup, which is lacking in the show.

suzu

I was looking forward to her intro scene from the book... so I was a tad bit disappointed with what we got in the show.

I don't mind her looks, as long as she sells the rest of the character. I mean, Theon wasn't how I pictured him to be either and he turned out pretty great. :p

Minor CoK spoiler
I hope she does a good job with the axes and knife stuff. lol.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Regarding asha, I've said before that I think the name change is almost indefensibly idiotic, but: [series spoilers]
while she seems serviceable enough for this part of the story, I really, really can't see this actress being able to carry the role she's going to have later on. She doesn't seem particularly likable to me quite honestly.

Vespene

[aSoS]
I'm eager to see Dany conquer Slaver's Bay. That scene where she goes on her silver and rallies the front line is gonna give me goosebumps.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
[aSoS]
I'm eager to see Dany conquer Slaver's Bay. That scene where she goes on her silver and rallies the front line is gonna give me goosebumps.

Just goosebumps? Hell, I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Can't imagine how I'll feel when they commit that scene to film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom