• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm fine with everyone being different shades of ugly on this show since Margaery Tyrell is all the beauty I need (seriously so in love with Natalie Dormer).

bengraven

Something else I keep forgetting to mention: Melisandre's thin wrap she's wearing in her sex scene with Stannis. Mother fuck.

tumblr_m1vccsqmdR1rsobeo

tumblr_m288pw68C31qejf6ho2_500.gif

tumblr_m26yezIhGr1qcq8w0o1_500.gif

Yes, I am.

(yes, I hate Tumblr gifs, but I'm working with what I've got!)

I'm fine with everyone being different shades of ugly on this show since Margaery Tyrell is all the beauty I need (seriously so in love with Natalie Dormer).

Between Dormer, Clarke, and Van Houten, we have the hottest female cast on TV right now.

Frankly I'm more than fine with having characters being less attractive then they are described in the books.

I feel like people pretty much want every 2 out of 3 females on this show to be drop dead gorgeous.

I want a gritty retelling of the grrm novels properly translated to screen. Which means realism, good storytelling and good acting.

I'm not looking for a beauty pageant. In fact aiming for so many people to be gorgeous detracts instead of adds to the realism.

nailed it.

_Isaac

Wow. Really? Margaery is the biggest butterface on the show except for maybe Theon Greyjoy. I thought maybe it was just a bad picture in the OP, but she looks scarier in motion when I saw the preview. I was like Oh lawd.

Wow. Really? Margaery is the biggest butterface on the show except for maybe Theon Greyjoy. I thought maybe it was just a bad picture in the OP, but she looks scarier in motion when I saw the preview. I was like Oh lawd.

Her face is...odd. I think it's the nose. I ain't even mad tho

apana

finally some potential sexposition I'm looking forward to

Most looking forward to [series spoiler]
Irri and Dany. I have the worst feeling that this scene will be either short or nonexistent. If so I'm going to be even more annoyed by the sexposition scenes than I am now.

bengraven

Her face is...odd. I think it's the nose. I ain't even mad tho

She's an aquired taste, most definitely. Her upturned nostrils and sour puss were the first things I noticed when I saw the Tudors. But her attitude and personality win you over quickly and man, she's just very sexual. Even just looking at someone.

agrajag

Banned
So I'm thinking that in the (series/ACOK spoiler)
Margaery and Renly sex scene, Renly won't be able to get hard (cuz girls are icky) and that's why Margaery is still a virgin

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Can't really put my finger on it but I find her extremely attractive. I can see why people would think she looks odd though. I agree with PD that her nose is a bit upturned but she has an unconventional sort of beauty to me. Physically she has beautiful eyes and lips and her way of talking and mannerisms sort of reminds me of Kate Bush.

79EFz.jpg

I'm sure she'll look a bit more homely in this series though

So I'm thinking that in the
Margaery and Renly sex scene, Renly won't be able to get hard (cuz girls are icky) and that's why Margaery is still a virgin

I'm thinking [Series Spoilers]
She wasn't actually a virgin, and surprise tv reveal she is a huge whore and everything cersei said about her was right :p

bengraven

So I'm thinking that in the

Possibly. I was wondering how they were going to do that, too.

Series:
it's one of the biggest debates in the book whether she's even a virgin still and if so, who she has fucked.
I don't think I want the TV show to confirm that NOW, when it's a big part of the plot still to come.

agrajag

Banned
I'm thinking [Series Spoilers]
She wasn't actually a virgin, and surprise tv reveal she is a huge whore and everything cersei said about her was right :p

But we already know that Renly is gay so I think she at least (AFFC spoiler)
hasn't slept with him. And if I'm not missing anything, in the books she didn't sleep with any of the people Cersei accused her of sleeping with.

bengraven

But we already know that Renly is gay so I think she at least
hasn't slept with him. And if I'm not missing anything, in the books she didn't sleep with any of the people Cersei accused her of sleeping with.

Well, what's interesting is that in a very recent Q&A George said (possible light ep3/4 spoiler?)
that they're not "gay" as "gay is a word that was made in the 60s". He said they were "lovers". I wonder if he's hinting that one or both are only casually fucking each other and Renly may in fact swing both ways, much like how some people in the dark ages did.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for posting. I knew I remembered it being pretty direct in the book, and is about as direct as it gets.

Just read the book for the first time in the last two weeks, so it's all still pretty fresh for me. Wasn't finished with the whole thing by episode 1 of this season but was ~200 pages into the third book by episode 2.

anaron

Can't really put my finger on it but I find her extremely attractive. I can see why people would think she looks odd though. I agree with PD that her nose is a bit upturned but she has an unconventional sort of beauty to me. Physically she has beautiful eyes and lips and her way of talking and mannerisms sort of reminds me of Kate Bush.

79EFz.jpg

Wow, she and her hair look amazing here. They really need to put more money into the wig department on this show. Lol

_Isaac

agrajag, label your spoilers please.

http://i.imgur.com/79EFz.jpg

She looks much better here than in the series. Well I guess (ACoK)
it doesn't matter since she's just a beard anyway for now. I can't remember if that was established in the first season, so I put it in spoiler tags.

agrajag

Banned
Well, what's interesting is that in a very recent Q&A George said (possible light ep3/4 spoiler?)
that they're not "gay" as "gay is a word that was made in the 60s". He said they were "lovers". I wonder if he's hinting that one or both are only casually fucking each other and Renly may in fact swing both ways, much like how some people in the dark ages did.

That's possible, but I remember in ACOK
how they were at a feast, and Renly was kind of ignoring Margaery and kept giving Loras glances. That makes me think that he is in love with Loras and couldn't give less of a fuck about Margaery.

But we already know that Renly is gay so I think she at least hasn't slept with him. And if I'm not missing anything, in the books she didn't sleep with any of the people Cersei accused her of sleeping with.

AFFC
They are trying to make Cersei more sympathetic. It wouldn't surprise me if they went with, and that she was right all along, Poor Cersei angle to achieve that. I don't like the trend, and I don't think they are succesfull at it. The only rehabilitation of her character I liked was her added scene with the King in Season 1

I'm pretty sure Yara was cast immediately before the show started filming, so that might explain why she isn't in better shape. Or she just might not care. Loras really was a twig, but I can get over it.

I am not a fan of Margaery's actress. I think she is a pretty woman, but she just has a face that I find irksome. I also hate her Garrus dress.

I realize I have fallen into the trap of nitpicking characters, but oh well. I'm still on board, and I don't think being critical of casting is a problem.

What spoilers? Renly being gay was revealed in Season 1. Whoever is watching Season 2/reading this thread is already spoiling Season 1 for themselves.

People are probably inferring things based on the general flow of the conversation you are participating in. Nothing major, but I spoilered you in my quote to avoid offending.

_Isaac

What spoilers? Renly being gay was revealed in Season 1. Whoever is watching Season 2/reading this thread is already spoiling Season 1 for themselves.

No. I mean label your spoilers, so we know what book you're talking about inside your spoiler tags, so people know what to highlight.

Like so:

(ACoK)
omg yay.

I see you're doing that now though.

agrajag

Banned
No. I mean label your spoilers, so we know what book you're talking about inside your spoiler tags, so people know what to highlight.

Like so:

(ACoK)
omg yay.

I see you're doing that now though.

Sorry, I thought if I spoiler tagged it was all gravy. I'll edit my posts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a thread for book discussion with marked spoilers?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the link, but the general discussion in there is still way too broad for me. I'll just wait until I finish AFFC and ADWD.

Snake

Something else I keep forgetting to mention: Melisandre's thin wrap she's wearing in her sex scene with Stannis. Mother fuck..

Yep.

And the gifs don't nearly do her justice. I can't bring myself to complain about Yara when Mel is filling out the show's hotness quota so nicely.

I'm shocked more people aren't as annoyed by this scene as I was. It was shot fine, but it's such a strange direction to take the character. From someone who's out for his own self interest but seems to have shades of grey (dark grey, of course) to someone who will sell a girl to be tortured, dismembered, and murdered. Varys sort of implied it in season one too, and it annoyed me then, but here it's way more explicit and makes him a far less compelling character. Hell, the fact that brothels have gone from being just one of his investments to his primary mode of income detracts a lot from the character.

He's a compelling character because he's practically invincible due to his intellect and self preservation. He climbs ladders and destroys the rungs on the way up. Even when he seemingly gets the raw end of a deal, he still ends up on top. That Cersei exchange with him is a great example.

Littlefinger in this show is a weird amalgam of Al Swearengen and Gaius Baltar.

apana

tumblr_m1cg1dHDeN1qft530o1_500.gif

I think this is from episode 2, someone inform me if not. Also Margaery looks incredible, no face can be 100 percent perfect or appeal to everybody but damn she looks good.

Puddles

Banned
Most looking forward to [series spoiler]
Irri and Dany. I have the worst feeling that this scene will be either short or nonexistent. If so I'm going to be even more annoyed by the sexposition scenes than I am now.

I can't wait for the (AFFC)
Myrish swamp scene.

Valravn

I understand the age increase of the Stark children but why is Margaery Tyrell so much older in the tv series? In the books she is sixteen but in the tv series she looks to be in her late twenties. I understand that marrying a sixteen year old girl to Renly seems pedophilic but
she is to marry Joffrey later and Jack Gleeson is 16/17?
And it seems they totally changed her character too, understandable though because of the age increase.

I understand the age increase of the Stark children but why is Margaery Tyrell so much older in the tv series? In the books she is sixteen but in the tv series she looks to be in her late twenties. I understand that marrying a sixteen year old girl to Renly seems pedophilic but
And it seems they totally changed her character too, understandable though because of the age increase.

I imagine that it's a product of casting Natalie Dormer. Besides, they've aged up everyone.

Tacitus_

Everyone is getting aged up. Sansa was what, 13 in the books? I think she's 16 in the show and even that'll be skirting the borders of what you can show on TV.

Cipherr

We had this debate a year ago. In that picture she is quite attractive but she doesn't look that good anywhere else.

Wasnt that chick in an episode of the Wire in season 5? She played like, another cop that Mcnulty knew in the morgue or some shit. She didnt look to bad then.

Arment

Yeah, Natalie Dormer has a weird face. Totally not Margaery material imo.

Valravn

Everyone is getting aged up. Sansa was what, 13 in the books? I think she's 16 in the show and even that'll be skirting the borders of what you can show on TV.

I know, but that 3 years older than in the books. Margaery has a major age increase, from 16 to 28? Or how is old she supposed to be in the tv series?

But i understand it now, as somebody on Westeros.org pointed out. The age increase is done because they want to change Margaery to someone who opposes Cersei. And the age increase makes that more believable than a sixteen old who plays a game of wits with a grown woman.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Question about season 1, but involves A Storm of Swords spoiler:

Did the Hound kill the butcher's kid in the show like he did in the book? If he did I totally forgot about it. If not, it would alter the dynamic between him and Arya quite a bit.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Question about season 1, but involves A Storm of Swords spoiler:

Did the Hound kill the butcher's kid in the show like he did in the book? If he did I totally forgot about it. If not, it would alter the dynamic between him and Arya quite a bit.

^Yes

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
shit i didn't even realise Carice van Houten was Melisandre...

she's a great actress.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So... can we finally agree that Carice makes a great Melisandre?

As a side note, what's the deal with human trafficking in Westeros? I know that slavery is a big no-no in the mainland, but how come pimps like Littlefinger get to purchase women for his brothels? Isn't this a little bit contradictory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom