• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

NOT HOT ENOUGH, TOO OLD, GREEN EYES, NOT A TEMPTRESS

etc. etc.

So basically the usual nitpicky superficial stuff. I'm glad the casting director is actually doing their job and picking the best actors for the roles instead of just going down a checklist of each character's looks and finding someone who matches it, aka the GAF casting method.

Tideas

Banned
no one of any power should ever follow gaf-mindset.

this goes for casting director, presidents, prime minister, CEOs, etc.

shes good melisandre

mind was racing to kinky sex

thats temptress enough for me

yara is wtf though.. now im gonna have to picture her mug when i read the books

jaqen was kinda a letdown too.. thought hed be more exotic looking.. he just looks like hes from a grunge band

jett

D-Member
i've always found carice's acting... stiff.

that ending. :eek:

Yeah...well, actually, most characters in the show are huge stiffs. It's like they're trying hard to act stoic. Even Tyrion got his serious face on all the time in S2. Sup wit dat.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's been a while since I read ACoK, but is Stannis banging Mel like that new to the series? I don't remember it coming up so explicitly but (big fucking spoiler for season 2)
is this just how they make the shadow thingie? She seems to be straight up saying "I'll give you a son" which was never part of her relationship with Stannis AFAIK. It makes sense for the shadow baby though... unless of course she's just saying it'll be for a son and actually it's to help fight Renly... hmmm...

Still, I ain't complaining, dat Melisandre!

Also, I'm really enjoying how much of a dick Stannis is already. He is easily my least favourite character, he's such a prick and even though he's sometimes right on principal, he always goes about it in the wrong way. He has a serious case of the Neds.

suzu

Complaining about the nitpicking is almost futile. lol.

This is basically how it's always going to be when they introduce new characters in the show. It will eventually die down like most of the nitpicking of the season one characters.

...Unless they really bother some viewers, like Cersei's acting seems to do.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Also, I'm really enjoying how much of a dick Stannis is already. He is easily my least favourite character, he's such a prick and even though he's sometimes right on principal, he always goes about it in the wrong way. He has a serious case of the Neds.

tumblr_m0bu5eP9w71r9h4heo1_500.jpg

King D-Bag Fuckface the First of His Name says w'sup.

And Balon Greyjoy already looks like a masssive asshole.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So basically the usual nitpicky superficial stuff. I'm glad the casting director is actually doing their job and picking the best actors for the roles instead of just going down a checklist of each character's looks and finding someone who matches it, aka the GAF casting method.

Looks will always matter to some extent, Yarra is an example of the casting direction going hilariously offtrack. Asha (Yarra) is supposed to be attractive+a physical bad ass. Not an out of shape hideous woman. This would be like casting a 5'5 obese man as Gregor Clegane. Completely ridiculous on every single account. A character with the wrong color eyes/not attractive enough? Whatever who cares.

That doesn't mean casting Denzel Washington as Arya would be ok just because he is a great actor.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Hmmm... but at least I love to hate Joffrey. He's gleeful and cartoonish and terrifying. Stannis is just an idiot and (very light series spoilers)
he stays an idiot. Almost every decision he ever makes is wrongheaded in some way, right from the start. I have no idea how he's going to survive post-ADWD, he's fucked.

There area bunch of baddies in ASOIAF, but Stannis is the most ineffectual and wrong headed "good guy" I've ever encountered. TBH this might even be GRRM's point with the character, all that honour and duty does nothing but make everyone's life harder and get people killed.

People who like Carice, go check out Blackbook. Great film

Also has great amounts of nudity!

Looks will always matter to some extent, Yarra is an example of the casting direction going hilariously offtrack. Asha (Yarra) is supposed to be attractive+a physical bad ass. Not an out of shape hideous woman. This would be like casting a 5'5 obese man as Gregor Clegane. Completely ridiculous on every single account. A character with the wrong color eyes/not attractive enough? Whatever who cares.

That doesn't mean casting Denzel Washington as Arya would be ok just because he is a great actor.

As much as I like Maisie, that would be awesome.

Yara is awesome.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Also has great amounts of nudity!

As much as I like Maisie, that would be awesome.

Yara is awesome.

Actually now that I think of it cast Denzel as Tyrion and cgi his height down (he can pull off the smart + don't give a fuck attitude).

Then Cgi Dinklage to be female and taller so he can play Asha/Yarra.

They are both good actors so don't fucking complain about their looks.

Or fuck it just make Denzel every role like Eddy Murphy in the fat person makeup movies he used to do. Why the fuck not!

JGS

Banned
I didn't have a problem with Yara. She seemed built like a bodybuilder and comes across exactly as described in the show- someone who is tough enough to lead an army in the absence of her sex crazed molester brother.

Not everyone can be as gorgeous as prostitutes...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Eh, Yara could look a heck of a lot better with a different hair style. I get that fashion is not the Iron Island's forté, but still.

Other than that, I don't have any complains. She looks like a dick enough to be a Greyjoy.

Kozak

Banned

I don't read the books but from what I've seen of Goffrey, he seems to at least have an idea of what a strong King is. Despite his decision to execute Ned Stark provoking a war with the Northerners, any strong King would have done the same and prepared to go to battle. And his decision to kill all of Roberts bastard children was a pretty strong assertion of power imo, especially over his mother who seems to have the idea that she is actually running the kingdom.

Maybe my imagination is running wild but I imagine a successful King have similar traits to Goffrey. I would feel safer as a citizen under a King like Goffrey who has no sympathy to those who betray the crown.

Yup, but that's not a big suprise, i mean, there are hardly any Dutch movies without nudity.

Plus it was Paul Verhoeven. The man who gave us three titties on one woman. Also Basic Instinct and Showgirls.

I don't read the books but from what I've seen of Goffrey, he seems to at least have an idea of what a strong King is. Despite his decision to execute Ned Stark provoking a war with the Northerners, any strong King would have done the same and prepared to go to battle. And his decision to kill all of Roberts bastard children was a pretty strong assertion of power imo, especially over his mother who seems to have the idea that she is actually running the kingdom.

Maybe my imagination is running wild but I imagine a successful King have similar traits to Goffrey. I would feel safer as a citizen under a King like Goffrey who has no sympathy to those who betray the crown.

The problem is he has no sympathy for anyone. And never thinks his actions through.

JGS

Banned
Goffrey is imitating a strong king though. He isn't really acting like one. He does not think his actions through or he would understand why there is a need for balance. It has nothing to do with mercy and more to do with keeping the nation placated. Stark was understandable only in the sense that Stark admitted to treason.

Stabbing babies in fron of the public is never a good thing considering that many of the kids have no idea who their dad was so couldn't dispute anything anyway. When the time came, that's when you kill them. Otherwise he had much bigger problems to deal with.

Dragon

Banned

I think you missed a ton if you actually believe this. Joffrey has absolutely no sympathy for any of the citizens of Kings Landing, who by the way are starving because of the war he started. He really is basically a sociopath, he doesn't have a way of relating to anyone.

Executing Ned Stark was one of the more stupid moves he could make. He not only made one rival King in Robb, but Renly as well.

LordCanti

The opposite is true. He has absolutely no idea how to run a kingdom, and he lets others [sort of series theme spoilers]
undermine his authority at every turn. His mother, Tyrion, his grandfather, etc. When he actually asserts himself, it's always to terrible ends.

He's basically as bad as the mad king ever was.

agrajag

Banned
^ That looks more like some minor comic relief character in one of the Pirates of the Carribean sequels than Asha. All happy go lucky and shit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I always figured that Asha/Yara's hotness came more from her don't give a fuck personality than any actual physical traits. And I think in this the actress did a good job, because I definitely got that sense from her. She's pretty much a smarter, nastier Theon. Theon fucks a lot but isnt the prettiest boy either.

Also remembering why I quit reading this thread last year, so many posters are incapable of criticising an actresses' performance without resorting to name calling or general skeevy scumbaggery. The bitching about Cercei last season was particularly gross and went far beyond not liking her performance. People talk about these women in a way they would never do about male actors.

calza

Anybody that has read the books know why who they cast for Margaery Tyrell is too old.

Series Spoiler
Marriage to Jeoffery, difference 10 years? Marriage to Tommen, difference almost 20 years?

- Thronecast Season 2 Episode 2 (youtube) *some potential book spoilers/changes*
Thronecast: The Official Game of Thrones Fan Show takes a look at Episode 2: The Night Lands.

Maisie Williams - Arya Stark herself - joins Geoff in studio to discuss her beloved character. Annabel Port continues her search for the biggest Game of Thrones superfan* and meets Steven Attewell, a historical expert who can expound on the series' real-life counterparts. And Elio & Linda of Westeros.org are back with more of their indispensible insight.

New episodes of Thronecast are available each week right here, or on Sky Anytime and Anytime+. You can also follow us on Twitter or Like us on Facebook!
- Thronecast interviews Maisie Williams (youtube) *some potential book spoilers/changes*
In this Thronecast exclusive video special, Geoff Lloyd meets the amazing Maisie Williams, who plays the beloved Arya Stark, for an uncut interview covering everything from Arya's hair to what fans can expect from her character in Season 2.
(These two might be the same video. I don't have time to watch them both right now.)

- Telegraph: Game of Thrones interview: DB Weiss and David Benioff

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anybody that has read the books know why who they cast for Margaery Tyrell is too old.

Series Spoiler
Marriage to Jeoffery, difference 10 years? Marriage to Tommen, difference almost 20 years?

Because everyone is older across the board, and because it doesn't really matter that much. I don't know how much Margaery's exact age on the show is (vs Dormer's), but I really don't think it will have any impact on the story. In fact, I can only see it (series spoilers)
getting better, in a creepy kind of way. I liked how weird her marriage to Tommen was in the book, and it will be even weirder, and that much more threatening to Cercei, to have Maraergy be so much older

I really don't see the age stuff in GoT as an issue, the ages on the show made more sense than the ones in the books anyway, the kids feel far too young in the books to be as erudite and insightful as they are, making everyone a little older makes it feel more believable to me.

bengraven

Wow, Reddit can be so fucking hostile. I posted my Biter CGI findings on there and I'm getting attacked left and right. I actually had to report someone who was going through my post history to point out "how rtarded u r".

calza

Because everyone is older across the board, and because it doesn't really matter that much. I don't know how much Margaery's exact age on the show is (vs Dormer's), but I really don't think it will have any impact on the story. In fact, I can only see it (series spoilers)
getting better, in a creepy kind of way. I liked how weird her marriage to Tommen was in the book, and it will be even weirder, and that much more threatening to Cercei, to have Maraergy be so much older

I really don't see the age stuff in GoT as an issue, the ages on the show made more sense than the ones in the books anyway, the kids feel far too young in the books to be as erudite and insightful as they are, making everyone a little older makes it feel more believable to me.

Series Spoiler
Actually I think it is better Margaery being younger because of her relationship with Cersei. She is supposed to be young and beautiful, her being really only a girl highlights Cersei's insecurities. I think it will make Cersei seem 'less crazy' when she is fighting with a 30 year woman rather than a girl.

Also Tommen is significantly younger than tv Margeary than they were in the book

anaron

I always figured that Asha/Yara's hotness came more from her don't give a fuck personality than any actual physical traits. And I think in this the actress did a good job, because I definitely got that sense from her. She's pretty much a smarter, nastier Theon. Theon fucks a lot but isnt the prettiest boy either.

Also remembering why I quit reading this thread last year, so many posters are incapable of criticising an actresses' performance without resorting to name calling or general skeevy scumbaggery. The bitching about Cercei last season was particularly gross and went far beyond not liking her performance. People talk about these women in a way they would never do about male actors.

A large portion of the fanbase is grossly misogynistic and it's incredibly irritating.

bengraven

What? She looks much less chunky than in that gif with her saying "OH I'm sowwwwy".

She lost some weight.

"Playing with rolls", what the fuck are you smoking? He went directly down her pants. I know, because I have that scene on repeat over and over again until I feel I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom