• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
Confident women ARE sexy. But again, her attractiveness to men has fuck all to do with how well she fits Asha's character. Her role in the series is not to be "hot enough to give a boner to Theon and her uncle" how hard is that concept to understand?

Wow, here I was thinking her seductiveness was a big part of her character which is why GRRM mentions it all the time.

bengraven

I wish Tricia Helfer was somewhere in this.

She did actually test for Cersei.

Bbfz8.png

agrajag

Banned
And that seductiveness has everything to do with her attitude and very little to do with her looks.

The guy I quoted said it's her attitude that makes her attractive, but then went on to say that attractiveness has nothing to do with her character.

But either way, you guys are living in a dream world where looks don't matter.

The show is not nearly as dense as the books, but it's still pretty fucking dense.

As someone who never read the books, it seems like every time they switch to a character they haven't covered in a while I'm left thinking "right, who's this guy again?"

Still, I'm really enjoying it. Blame it on my terrible memory, maybe.

Confident women ARE sexy. But again, her attractiveness to men has fuck all to do with how well she fits Asha's character. Her role in the series is not to be "hot enough to give a boner to Theon and her uncle" how hard is that concept to understand?

I'd say giving a boner is super important. From a diplomatic perspective of course.

agrajag

Banned
As someone who never read the books, it seems like every time they switch to a character they haven't covered in a while I'm left thinking "right, who's this guy again?"

Still, I'm really enjoying it. Blame it on my terrible memory, maybe.

I watched the first season before I started reading the books. Needless to say, I was pretty lost, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the show.

Famassu

The guy I quoted said it's her attitude that makes her attractive, but then went on to say that attractiveness has nothing to do with her character.

But either way, you guys are living in a dream world where looks don't matter.
Yes, because what is important for Asha's character is that NO BULLSHIT attitude which has earned her the respect of the men around her, not her looks. If she was just a looker, she would be a (salt)wife, not a ship captain.

And I said confidence is sexy, not that it somehow makes a person better-looking.

LuchaShaq

Banned
"Playing with rolls", what the fuck are you smoking? He went directly down her pants. I know, because I have that scene on repeat over and over again until I feel I'm done.

He isn't anywhere close to between her legs, he literally grabs the fat roll under her belly button it's fucking hilarious.

Also I would have been 100% fine if she was ugly as shit if she looked in shape+ able to whoop ass like she does in the books. Not like a girl that would get winded jogging for ten minutes let alone kill bigger men in battle.

agrajag

Banned
He isn't anywhere close to between her legs, he literally grabs the fat roll under her belly button it's fucking hilarious.

Also I would have been 100% fine if she was ugly as shit if she looked in shape+ able to whoop ass like she does in the books. Not like a girl that would get winded jogging for ten minutes let alone kill bigger men in battle.

Careful man, you're about to get called a misogynist and all kinds of stuff.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Careful man, you're about to get called a misogynist and all kinds of stuff.

I don't really care, if they hired Olivia Wilde to play Brienne I'd be equally if not more annoyed despite the fact I find her incredibly attractive.

Casting an out of shape homely woman as Yarra/Asha is like casting Yao Ming or Shaq as Tyrion Lannister. Just makes no fucking sense.

gutshot

I don't really care, if they hired Olivia Wilde to play Brienne I'd be equally if not more annoyed despite the fact I find her incredibly attractive.

Casting an out of shape homely woman as Yarra/Asha is like casting Yao Ming or Shaq as Tyrion Lannister. Just makes no fucking sense.

facepalm.gif

- EW.com: Game of Thrones renewed for S3
A you-know-what is coming: Game of Thrones has been officially renewed for a third season by HBO. The network ordered another 10 episodes of the fantasy hit, which recently debuted its second season to record ratings, then followed up with a nearly identical performance this week.

The third season is expected to be more-or-less based on the first half of George R.R. Martin’s A Storm of Swords — the third novel of his “Song of Ice and Fire” series of fantasy bestsellers. Long a fan favorite book of the series, Swords has several dramatic twists and confrontations. Given the book’s length (the paperback edition is 1216 pages) and action-packed content, producers plan to break up the novel into two seasons. So … save the date!

“As George and all his fans have said for a long time, there’s no way to do it in a single season, so it’s being broken into two,” said executive producer David Benioff during a recent interview with EW. “We’re still kind of figuring out exactly what goes where. We don’t want it to feel like a two-part season … From the beginning we’d always prayed we’d get to season three at least because, you know, two of our favorite scenes from the entire saga are in season three.”

- HBO press release via WiC.net:
HBO said:
HBO RENEWS GAME OF THRONES FOR THIRD SEASON
First Episode Of The Second Season Has Already Grossed 8.3 Million Viewers

LOS ANGELES, April 10, 2012 – HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a third season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

“Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season – and then surpassed them,” said Lombardo. “We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we’ve received for the series, and can’t wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season.”

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic drama set in the world of Westeros, where ambitious men and women of both honor and ill-repute live in a land whose summers and winters can last years. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning fantasy series began its ten-episode second season Sunday, April 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), with other episodes debuting subsequent Sundays at the same time.

Among the early critical praise for the second season, Newsday called GAME OF THRONES “the best show on television,” while the Los Angeles Times termed the series “a cinematic feast” and “masterful.” The Wall Street Journal hailed the show as “magnificent” and USA Today called it “near perfection.”

According to early data, GAME OF THRONES’ season two premiere has already accumulated a gross audience of 8.3 million viewers, and is on track to easily surpass the season one average of 9.3 million viewers.

Season two cast members include: Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Aidan Gillen, Iain Glen, Kit Harington, Richard Madden, Maisie Williams, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Sophie Turner, Jack Gleeson and Alfie Allen.

Season two credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger; co-executive producers, George R.R. Martin, Vanessa Taylor, Alan Taylor, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis; produced by Bernadette Caulfield.

Let's save this judgement for a scene where she needs to be physical. I've seen women who don't look like they wake up at a cross-fit every morning prove themselves very capable of showing their strength.

I get the arguments where she's not as she's described in the books but this determination to convince others she's not attractive as a female is a little odd. So you wouldn't fuck her - who cares. Let move on to other discussions about the series.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Good to hear. But since there's no unusual announcements it really calls into question why they took so long.

Good to hear. But since there's no unusual announcements it really calls into question why they took so long.

Rumor was the 2 showrunners were only under contract for 3 seasons. Book 3 is going to be 2 seasons. Their money and discussion how they are going to break it up. I'm talking out my ass.

Good news, although I wonder how they're going to handle splitting the novel. If they try to rush the entire thing in 10 episodes it won't be good, pure and simple.

It's a little unclear if he's talking about Season 3 meaning ASoS as a whole or Season 3 meaning the first half of ASoS. I'm guessing the former rather than the latter(?)

Yeah, I thought of that too, but taken with the first statement it would seem to point to the latter. But who knows.

edit: Then again if the second favorite scene is the one I'm thinking of ASOS SPOILERS
the Viper and the Mountain
, then he'd be talking about the former because I don't think they could get to it in season 3 without rushing things and leaving nothing for season 4.

BFIB

It would make sense to split ASOS into two separate seasons. Just way too much awesome that happens to rush through anything.

You could have MAJOR ASOS SPOILERS
The Red Wedding as the season 3 finale. Great way to end the season.

Season4: Joffrey's death and Catelyn's return to end the season

It would make sense to split ASOS into two separate seasons. Just way too much awesome that happens to rush through anything.

I honestly think they have to have the 1st 2 things you mention happen in the same season. Just my 2 cents.

Puddles

Banned
A large portion of the fanbase is grossly misogynistic and it's incredibly irritating.

I swear people don't even know what this word means anymore.

Thinking that someone made a poor casting decision = contempt for women?

If Jonah Hill had been cast as Robb Stark, you'd hear the same complaints.

bengraven

Okay, so reading it at first I had the impression that technically they renewed for two seasons but they only renewed for one 10 episode season.

And it's going to cover the first half of SOS. So if they decide not to do a fourth season, we're going to miss half of SOS. :/ Eh, the show is going really strong so far and I don't expect them to cancel before at least telling SOS.

I'm more worried about them canceling after the fourth season. :/

KingK

A large portion of the fanbase is grossly misogynistic and it's incredibly irritating.

Oh fuck off, seriously. Just because someone criticizes a female casting doesn't make them misogynistic. Plenty of the same people criticizing Yara/Asha also criticized Rorge and Jaqen H'gaar and probably Renly and Loras last season, for perfectly legitimate reason.

Going by the quote in the EW story it would seem to confirm that ASOS SPOILER
The Red Wedding will be in season 3. Wonder what the other favorite scene he was talking about.

No, no, no! I've said this many times, but I'll repeat myself. You should be praying that they don't include that scene until season 4, unless you want a massive drop in viewers followed by the show being cancelled. If that really is the finale of season 3, then it would easily be the worst decision they'd make about this show yet (for multiple reasons, including not having enough remaining content to cover another 10 episode season afterwards).

Okay, so reading it at first I had the impression that technically they renewed for two seasons but they only renewed for one 10 episode season.

And it's going to cover the first half of SOS. So if they decide not to do a fourth season, we're going to miss half of SOS. :/ Eh, the show is going really strong so far and I don't expect them to cancel before at least telling SOS.

Same. I don't doubt that they'll get to cover the entirety of ASOS, but beyond that I'm not very confident in the series' future.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Based on this timeline for SoS (http://towerofthehand.com/books/103/chapters.html)

Massive SoS Spoilers
Final couple of episodes for S3 should have the following:
-Red Wedding should be S3 finale.
-Arya and The Hound are there too.
-Jon reaches the Wall to warn the Watch.
-Jaime begins his trip to King's Landing, but returns to Harrenhal to save Brienne.
-Sam and Gilly are surrounded by wights but saved by a mysterious man dressed in black and with hands cold as ice.

Season 4 end will be:
-Jon is sent by Janos to kill Mance; Stannis shows up with his army and routes the wildlings.
-Sandor gets in a fight with some of Gregor's men at an inn and is seriously wounded;Arya leaves him in the woods and takes passage with a Braavosi ship at Saltpans using the coin Jaqen gave her.
-Jaime and Varys break Tyrion out of his cell;Tyrion kills Shae and Tywin on his way out of the castle.
-Jon is elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
-Sansa stands up to Robert and Petyr kills Lysa.
-Catelyn returns as Zombie

It all works out so perfectly as 2 seasons. Plenty of twists to go around.

AngryMoth

Thing is going by the source material seasons 3 and 4 should hopefully be amazing, so I see no reason for a drop in ratings as a result of the show getting worse. If the ratings do ever fall away it will be post season 4 imo. Adapting Feast and Dance for tv will be a huge challenge.

Mission

- Thronecast Season 2 Episode 2 (youtube)
- Thronecast interviews Maisie Williams (youtube)
(These two might be the same video. I don't have time to watch them both right now.)

- Telegraph: Game of Thrones interview: DB Weiss and David Benioff

The Maisie Williams interview contains some serious spoilers or a change from the books.
It's not described but it looks like they have another radical departure from her story in order to reduce the number of locations and characters.

anaron

Oh fuck off, seriously. Just because someone criticizes a female casting doesn't make them misogynistic. Plenty of the same people criticizing Yara/Asha also criticized Rorge and Jaqen H'gaar and probably Renly and Loras last season, for perfectly legitimate reaso

I have ALSO stated that I do not like Asha's look/actress. I'm not disgressing finding issue with the show's portrayal or your own; I'm merely stating that this fandom has a largely misogynistic fandom on certain sites and it can especially show in the way they go about criticising things sometimes and I'm not referring to Asha.

Based on this timeline for SoS (http://towerofthehand.com/books/103/chapters.html)

Massive SoS Spoilers
Final couple of episodes for S3 should have the following:
-Red Wedding should be S3 finale.
-Arya and The Hound are there too.
-Jon reaches the Wall to warn the Watch.
-Jaime begins his trip to King's Landing, but returns to Harrenhal to save Brienne.
-Sam and Gilly are surrounded by wights but saved by a mysterious man dressed in black and with hands cold as ice.

Season 4 end will be:
-Jon is sent by Janos to kill Mance; Stannis shows up with his army and routes the wildlings.
-Sandor gets in a fight with some of Gregor's men at an inn and is seriously wounded;Arya leaves him in the woods and takes passage with a Braavosi ship at Saltpans using the coin Jaqen gave her.
-Jaime and Varys break Tyrion out of his cell;Tyrion kills Shae and Tywin on his way out of the castle.
-Jon is elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
-Sansa stands up to Robert and Petyr kills Lysa.
-Catelyn returns as Zombie

It all works out so perfectly as 2 seasons. Plenty of twists to go around.

This sounds about right

ASOS spoilers
There's a 99% chance they're going to end Season 3 with the Red Wedding. It's just the perfect place to cut it off. Sure people who haven't read and haven't been spoiled will be pissed and claim they're never coming back. But 9 months later they'll return. And they'll have some hopeful things going on to like the quoted post said with Jaime returning for Brienne.

Thing is going by the source material seasons 3 and 4 should hopefully be amazing, so I see no reason for a drop in ratings as a result of the show getting worse. If the ratings do ever fall away it will be post season 4 imo. Adapting Feast and Dance for tv will be a huge challenge.

As long as the world doesn't end, I'd say we're just about guaranteed to get to a 5th season. After that it will all depend on how they adapt the source material to make it work and if George can get the lead out and finish the books.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Oh fuck off, seriously. Just because someone criticizes a female casting doesn't make them misogynistic. Plenty of the same people criticizing Yara/Asha also criticized Rorge and Jaqen H'gaar and probably Renly and Loras last season, for perfectly legitimate reason.

No, no, no! I've said this many times, but I'll repeat myself. You should be praying that they don't include that scene until season 4, unless you want a massive drop in viewers followed by the show being cancelled. If that really is the finale of season 3, then it would easily be the worst decision they'd make about this show yet (for multiple reasons, including not having enough remaining content to cover another 10 episode season afterwards).

Same. I don't doubt that they'll get to cover the entirety of ASOS, but beyond that I'm not very confident in the series' future.

Totally agreed about Season 3. BOOK 3
Everyone is in a hurry to see the Red Wedding in season 3 but I think it's a horrible idea for a dozen reasons. These two seasons could be some of the best TV has ever seen, but to do these scenes justice they need to take their time. Edmure needs to be introduced and they need to give the Freys some more time. In Kings Landing they need to give the Dorne people time to establish themselves before Oberyn fights. All of this buildup can take place in Season 3 and the big shocks truly need to be in Season 4.

AngryMoth

I'd argue it's only a legitimate reason if their appearance significently informs either part of their character or the story, otherwise it's just nitpicking. Personally I don't feel this is the case with Asha (or any of the others you mentioned for that matter), but clearly others do.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I feel like [ASoS]
The Red Wedding
has to be in season 3, then season 4 will still have a ton of big events and one big surprise at the end, and they can start slowly introducing the [AffC]
Dornish and Ironborn
to make sure Season 5 doesn't start off as slowly as AFfC does.

JerkShep

I'm pretty sure ASOS spoiler
there will be three weddings in S03, I don't think they will be ending the season with the Red one, they need some sort of happy note

Gregorn

I don't care if Feast & Dance aren't adapted, there's no way they would be able to reach the quality that season 3 & 4 will hopefully deliver. They could end it by saying it was all Brans dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom