• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
She's obviously put on more weight for the show. Other people have mentioned it earlier in the thread.
I don't know enough about her. She may be on the fatter side in real life, but from the scenes in ep. 2 my first thought was that's a sorta masculine lady which fits the role (If not the description in the book). I didn't see her as fat.

agrajag

Banned
Even though I only watched the scene once, I saw rolls. And I didn't say fat, I said chubby. Big difference.

Can't believe there's a Yara defense force.

jett

D-Member
Even though I only watched the scene once, I saw rolls. And I didn't say fat, I said chubby. Big difference.

Defenders gonna defend.

People that like Yara probably have deep, personal issues of the incestual kind. She looks homely at best.

ultron87

Anyone want to break down a male actor's appearance down to the existence/non-existence and number of rolls of fat and how that matches up with the book description? No? Okay.

Dragon

Banned
A large portion of the fanbase is grossly misogynistic and it's incredibly irritating.

It isn't hard to figure out why. The prevalence of the word 'cunt' in the books is much more than any other book series I've ever read. In fact I'm trying to remember the last time I came upon the word outside of Game of Thrones.

Defenders gonna defend.

People that like Yara probably have deep, personal issues of the incestual kind. She looks homely at best.

Who cares? There's enough eye candy on the show.

agrajag

Banned
Anyone want to break down a male actor's appearance down to the existence/non-existence and number of rolls of fat and how that matches up with the book description? No? Okay.

I already mentioned how I hate Rorge, people in the thread complained about the way Jaqen looks, and Aeron isn't supposed to be fat. He's specifically described as having bony arms in the books, fat people don't usually have bony arms. But Aeron is kind of a shitty character anyway, so I wouldn't care about him nearly as much as about Asha. Pretty pissed about Rorge though.

bengraven

why does margery have a bitchy look to her

i thought she was like all
innocent and sweet

Your spoiler is right, but I think that was why the changed her. She was always ambitious but it was all very subtle - it seems they're strengthening her, like some other characters. I would have never called her one note because she's an incredibly compelling character: sweet personality when you're looking at her, ladder-climber when your back is turned.

Apparently HBO thought she was bland for some bizarre reason.

69UkY.jpg

Amazing <3

It isn't hard to figure out why. The prevalence of the word 'cunt' in the books is much more than any other book series I've ever read. In fact I'm trying to remember the last time I came upon the word outside of Game of Thrones.

But the number of times that people become unsure of where the cock ends and the cunt begins is George's way of showing us that we are all the same, and people should not be judged on their differences.

gutshot

You people are crazy. How is Yara's attractiveness or unattractiveness in any way important to her character? Hint: It's not.

JGS

Banned

I'm defending her as a good choice for the role. Hot she is not but I don't expect that to be the reason she's a good warrior.

Theon is into unattractive women (Or maybe attractive women are not into him) and I imagine that her assertiveness was a turn on over her looks anyway.

bengraven

Robert wasn't fat enough.

Rorge is supposed to be missing a nose.

Tyrion is too handsome.

Tywin is supposed to be bald and clean shaven, but with sideburns

Stannis is supposed to be more muscular and stern looking

Maester Pycelle isn't nearly nearly fat enough.

*takes a breath*

Renly is too skinny.

Loras isn't muscular enough.

Ned is too old.

Illyrio is not fat enough (GRRM likes his abomination-like fat men)

Yoren is too handsome and strong, he's supposed to be skinny and vulturelike with a hooked nose I believe

Sam is too creepy looking

Grenn should be taller and huge

Mormont should have a crow that goes "CORN CORN CORN"

Am I doing this right? ;)

agrajag

Banned
I'm defending her as a good choice for the role. Hot she is not but I don't expect that to be the reason she's a good warrior.

Theon is into unattractive women (Or maybe attractive women are not into him) and I imagine that her assertiveness was a turn on over her looks anyway.

She's described as being lean, and having sharp features. Was expecting a bird-face. Not a supermodel. But this chick doesn't even look like she's fit for battle, don't know why you think she looks like she could fight. She looks soft.

ezrarh: it looks like they made Brienne sufficiently homely.

bengraven

I've said it before, but the only person I have an issue with is Cersei.

In the books she's a fucking minx - she wears really low cut dresses, flirts with anyone she isn't condemning to death - she's the character that every man in the kingdom wants to fuck - which makes Sallador Saan's speech more appropriate.

On the show, she wears drapes and an ugly frown.

Everyone else, whatever. It was a decision they made and their decisions have been great so far. I will picture the characters as their TV counterparts whenever I read the book.

Except Cersei. Cersei to me will still be a half naked Tricia Helfer or Nicole Kidman.

JGS

Banned
I guess when i think fighter, I think Conan and not Legolas.

I expect a woman warrior to be thick even by Game of Thrones standards. I haven't read the books so I might be up in arms if the description doesn't match the book character. From the show standpoint, it makes sense for a woman who is head of an army to have a warrior's build.

I don't see a lot of small warriors among males so I don't expect it amongst females either.

bengraven

I'm just glad we don't have smell-o-vision, because GRRM likes us to remind how "sour" Yoren smells every time he's in a chapter.

haha, that's right. I like new Yoren. I said it last night in another thread. He looks and acts more like the type who would save the life of a NW's friend's daughter. Yoren in the books never shows a single bit of emotion except anger and bitterness. You can tell that because he defends his kids no matter what he has a heart somewhere deep deep down, but you never ever get a show of it.

TV Yoren actually tripped me up in that scene where he's cutting her hair and then taking the recruits out, because he suddenly was acting like Book Yoren and I felt he was out of character. ha

I expect a woman warrior to be thick even by Game of Thrones standards. I haven't read the books so I might be up in arms if the description doesn't match the book character. From the show standpoint, it makes sense for a woman who is head of an army to have a warrior's build.

I don't see a lot of small warriors among males so I don't expect it amongst females either.

Wait, are we seriously talking about Brienne now? I thought it was a joke that we would be talking about her next week.

We should just wait. haha

AngryMoth

You people are crazy. How is Yara's attractiveness or unattractiveness in any way important to her character? Hint: It's not.
This. This whole Yara discussion is really starting to piss me off. For a character like Sansa or Cersei you do need to cast somebody who is classically attractive because their beauty is part of their character and informs who they are as people. This is not the case with Asha. Perhaps my memories just bad but I'm pretty sure there is very little detailed description of her in the books. Her personality is so much more important. She's a woman who's grown up in an extremely misogynist culture and yet still managed to rise high and earn the respect of her peers due to pure swagger and badassery. As long as the actress can portray this then she will be great for the role, and I thought she did a fine job in this episode.

It will be the opposite. "she should be uglier"

She could give an Emmy worthy performance and people would still complain about that; she looks great, and is a good actress who fits the part physically.

Almost no one complains about Dinklage not being ugly enough to play Tyrion

KingGondo

Banned
I don't read the books but from what I've seen of Goffrey, he seems to at least have an idea of what a strong King is. Despite his decision to execute Ned Stark provoking a war with the Northerners, any strong King would have done the same and prepared to go to battle. And his decision to kill all of Roberts bastard children was a pretty strong assertion of power imo, especially over his mother who seems to have the idea that she is actually running the kingdom.

Maybe my imagination is running wild but I imagine a successful King have similar traits to Goffrey. I would feel safer as a citizen under a King like Goffrey who has no sympathy to those who betray the crown.
While he's good at "asserting his power," the decision to execute Ned Stark was a horrible mistake, and it has necessitated much of the brutality that he has shown. It's much easier to run a kingdom that's at relative peace, even if your heritage is being questioned (ask President Obama).

Also, Joff's decision deprived us of Ned going on awesome adventures beyond the Wall with Jon Snow. For that, I am forever pissed.

agrajag

Banned

Brienne is an exception, not a rule. She's somewhat of a physical specimen. The Iron Born are a warlike people, but that doesn't mean that their women are genetically larger than normal. Besides, she's basically her people's "princess," and her weapon of choice is a dirk, not a huge battle axe. Note that I'm basing my idea of Asha on what's written in the books, not what my idea of a warrior is.

jayb

I remember season 1 mentioning that Theon was Ned's ward, but did they give much detail as to why? I don't recall. I've seen a few non-book readers confused as to why Theon was living with the Starks.

agrajag

Banned
I remember season 1 mentioning that Theon was Ned's ward, but did they give much detail as to why? I don't recall. I've seen a few non-book readers confused as to why Theon was living with the Starks.

Balon Greyjoy started a rebellion, and when he was defeated, Ned basically took his son hostage.

Robert wasn't fat enough.

Rorge is supposed to be missing a nose.

Tyrion is too handsome.

Tywin is supposed to be bald and clean shaven, but with sideburns

Stannis is supposed to be more muscular and stern looking

Maester Pycelle isn't nearly nearly fat enough.

*takes a breath*

Renly is too skinny.

Loras isn't muscular enough.

Ned is too old.

Illyrio is not fat enough (GRRM likes his abomination-like fat men)

Yoren is too handsome and strong, he's supposed to be skinny and vulturelike with a hooked nose I believe

Sam is too creepy looking

Grenn should be taller and huge

Mormont should have a crow that goes "CORN CORN CORN"

Am I doing this right? ;)

Catelynn also seems a lot older. I think her and ned were suppose to be 30 somethings, and catelynn is suppose to be quite pretty.

The only one that really bothers me is mormont's crow. I loved that crow.

jayb

Balon Greyjoy started a rebellion, and when he was defeated, Ned basically took his son hostage.

I know, I read the books. I was asking specifically how the show explained it, because some people who haven't read the books seemed confused on that fact.

JGS

Banned
Except Cersei. Cersei to me will still be a half naked Tricia Helfer or Nicole Kidman.
They hinted at that too when she slept with her cousin to allegedly kill the king. Then they had her focus become all about Jaime love.

Her current personality though match up so well with Tyrion and that last talk they had was fantastic. Them being in the same place has been the best part of season 2 for me so far although Arya is catching up.

Speaking of which, it may be a bit creepy, but 10 years from now I totally see them as a couple.

agrajag

Banned
I know, I read the books. I was asking specifically how the show explained it, because some people who haven't read the books seemed confused on that fact.

IIRC, the show doesn't explain it at all. I imagine the Theon/Balon scenes this season will try to explain it a bit more though.

bengraven

Edit: nvm, you had read the books. And yes, the show described in several scenes. Also Jaime and Ned's man outside the King's chamber in Season 1 gave a little more light.

Famassu

She's described as being lean, and having sharp features. Was expecting a bird-face. Not a supermodel. But this chick doesn't even look like she's fit for battle, don't know why you think she looks like she could fight. She looks soft.
She has that confident, cocky attitude that, to me, is what Asha is about. There are plenty of other characters who don't look their part to be the kind of warriors they should be. Robert being one, he's not a character you'd ever think was the kind of beast in the battlefield as he should've been. But he played his part well in S1, so don't really give a fuck.

ezrarh: it looks like they made Brienne sufficiently homely.
No they didn't. She IS too good looking. Not that I care, but if you want to be asinine about characters' looks, then they didn't nail Brienne at all. She's supposed to be the ugliest woman in the world, yet in the show she looks average, at worst.

agrajag

Banned
Asha is much easier to cast than Brienne. Not only is she unnaturally ugly, but she's also a physical specimen. On top of that, she has to be a decent actress. Whereas there are tons of women that look like Asha. Their best bet would be to find a tall actress and try to make her ugly with makeup, which is exactly what they did.

Well first of all she is supposed to be hot enough to attract Theos and give him a chubby? Second, she's attractive enough to give her uncle a chubby. I'd say homely looking girls don't give too many chubbys.

agrajag

Banned
Well first of all she is supposed to be hot enough to attract Theos and give him a chubby? Second, she's attractive enough to give her uncle a chubby. I'd say homely looking girls don't give too many chubbys.

But she has that ATTITUDE that makes men fall head over heels!

BFIB

I'm willing to give Asha/Yara's character time to develop. Though I still wish they would have saved her reveal as Theon's sister like they did in the books. Way better, IMO, and really pushes for Theon to make his future decisions.

Jonm1010

Banned
A large portion of the fanbase is grossly misogynistic and it's incredibly irritating.

I'm getting that sense and its ruining this thread.

2 pages now of people bitching that Yara isn't hot enough.

Acting talent >>>>>>> looking exact for a part.

Shut the fuck up people! If you need a show where looks overrule acting and all else go watch fucking gossip girls.

agrajag

Banned
If I recall it was attitude and looks. I think they just cast her strangely. Probably not a bit deal in the long run.

I was being sarcastic, because that's the reply you'll most likely get. Me, I agree with you. Well, different strokes for different folks. Some here find the Yara actress attractive.

Famassu

But she has that ATTITUDE that makes men fall head over heels!
Confident women ARE sexy. But again, her attractiveness to men has fuck all to do with how well she fits Asha's character. Her role in the series is not to be "hot enough to give a boner to Theon and her uncle" how hard is that concept to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom