• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Overall Im ok where everyone ended up in the end and I actully kind of liked where esch charachter ended up, I think it was the right outcomes for each person look8ng bacj but the overall final season just seemed so much like a race to the finish it kind of ruined what really isnt a bad outcome for all the charachters.

Starfield

Overall Im ok where everyone ended up in the end and I actully kind of liked where esch charachter ended up, I think it was the right outcomes for each person look8ng bacj but the overall final season just seemed so much like a race to the finish it kind of ruined what really isnt a bad outcome for all the charachters.
Thats exactly my thought. I liked how it turned out but not the way we got there. It was too fast,

I'm gonna have to give that a rewatch and then sleep on it before formulating a "deep take," however I have a couple small prelim thoughts and one question:

A.) Has the composer of this show won an Emmy before? The music this episode was phenomenal, as it tends to be for all "big episodes." The first 18 minutes I felt real sadness and dread, especially when Jon was walking up the steps towards Dany. Just excellent music for this series. Amazing work.

B.) I am glad it wasn't Arya. Giving Arya the NK and Dany in a three episode span would have been overkill.

C.) I am on board with almost everything except one thing, and here is my one question:

Jon's fate irked me right away, as it was announced. Felt very unfair to him, he was destined for more than that, in my mind. But that was me thinking he would go up there and start all over as peon again, which kinda pissed me off considering who he is and, first hope was he would at least take right back over as Lord Commander.

I don't even know what actually happened. So is he even really in the Watch, or is he just fully rogue living with the wildlings? Or both? I don't quite get what was happening there. If someone could explain this to me I will be very grateful. I'd like to think that whatever was going on there, whether he is a man of the watch "assigned" to live with the wildlings, or just a full on free wildling himself now, he can chose to have a family if he wants north of the wall.

Again, with almost everything else, I am on board. Not what I would have done, but I see it. They did break the wheel, essentially.

I guess I have a second question, are the rest of the Unsullied who didn't go with Grey Worm still living in Westeros? And the Dothraki?

I know there will be a lot of activity right now so if this gets skipped I will undestand, hopefully I can find these answers in the avalanche of YouTube videos coming this week.

One of my favorite shows of all time. First half the series was best TV ever. Great series. I am thankful for it. I will miss it.

Edit

Fuck I misspelled everything here. My bad

Last edited:
At least I can post this now:

nk4olijo5zy21.png

oagboghi2

I'm gonna have to give that a rewatch and then sleep on it before formulating a "deep take," however I have a couple small prelim thoughts and one question:

A.) Has the composer of this show won an Emmy before? The music this episode was phenomenal, as it tends to be for all "big episodes." The first 18 minutes I felt real sadness and dread, especially when Jon was walking up the steps towards Dany. Just excellent music for this series. Amazing work.

B.) I am glad it wasn't Arya. Giving Arya the NK and Dany in a three episode span would have been overkill.

C.) I am on board with almost everything except one thing, and here is my one question:

Jon's fate irked me right away, as it was announced. Felt very unfair to him, he was destined for more than that, in my mind. But that was me thinking he would go up there and start all over as peon again, which kinda pissed me off considering who he is and, first hope was he would at least take right back over as Lord Commander.

I don't even know what actually happepned. So is even in the Watch, or is he just fully rogue living with the wildlings? Or both? If someone could explain this to me I will be very grateful.

Again, with almost everything else, I am on board. Not what I would have done, but I see it. They did break the wheel, essentially.

I guess I have a second question, are the rest of the unsullied who didn't go with Grey Worm still living in Westeros? And the Dorthraki?

I know there will be a lot of activity right now so if this gets skipped I will undestand, hopefully I can find these answers in the avalanche of YouTube videos coming this week.

One of my favorite shows of all time. First half the series was best TV ever. Great series. I am thankful for it. I will miss it.
Jon Snow is Lord commander of the night watch.

Wait -the ending has been leaked for a long time? Pretty surprised this shit didn't spread like wild fire.

It's been known a couple of weeks.

r/freefolk knew about it since then

Edit: Actually, it's been known by a long time

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Jon Snow is Lord commander of the night watch.
Yeah. youve got one king, one queen of the north and one lord commander while arya is exploring the world.

This is GoT, ended pretty good for the starks, thought Cersei would be having sex with their corpses by now.

Starfield

I don't even know what actually happened. So is he even really in the Watch, or is he just fully rogue living with the wildlings? Or both? I don't quite get what was happening there. If someone could explain this to me I will be very grateful.

I guess I have a second question, are the rest of the Unsullied who didn't go with Grey Worm still living in Westeros? And the Dothraki?

Edit

Fuck I misspelled everything here. My bad
Jon is essentially the (new) King beyond the wall now.

NYR

Yeah. youve got one king, one queen of the north and one lord commander while arya is exploring the world.

This is GoT, ended pretty good for the starks, thought Cersei would be having sex with their corpses by now.
I don't think Jon is the Lord Commander, he literally left the watch and Castle Black. Seems like he went with the Free Folk to the North. The watch let him go, they know who he is and what he is.

Malakhov

Banned
I don't think Jon is the Lord Commander, he literally left the watch and Castle Black. Seems like he went with the Free Folk to the North. The watch let him go, they know who he is and what he is.
Yeah might be right, they treated him like one in the last scene though. Mad respect for him from everyone.

I love the salt everywhere, I am so enjoying this lol

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Why would everyone else be cool with the North breaking off into an independent kingdom ruled by Sansa Stark AND the remaining six kingdoms being ruled by Bran Stark? No one protests this because Tyrion says so...the Tyrion who we've only seen incompetence and mistakes from for ages now, that everyone wants to kill for various treasons? Why is anyone deferring to him? The scene is set up by Edmure Tully bumbling around like a buffoon to contrast, which is such a cheap cop out.

Bronn on the small council and lord of Highgarden and master of coin? Right. A Lannister always pays his debts eh. Preposterous.

The scene where Tyrion must convince Jon to kill Dany takes even more away from Jon's character. He's defending her and rationalizing her acts after she torched a million people. #muhqueen At least he pets Ghost.

Finish the fucking books George.

The episode just felt so anticlimatic.

Maybe if you rewatch the whole season the ending will be fine but as a stand alone episode this was one of the worst/most boring episodes of the show.

This season, and even last season to a lesser extent, aren't what I wanted, but I am trying to look at the "glass half full" even though I have many gripes and some of the logic behind everything seems pretty flawed.

I dunno.

I guess my main emotion/feeling right now is "bittersweet" mixed with "underwhelmed"

I guess I would have liked more glory for Jon, but in a way I see how it could be poetic for him to be the king beyond the wall, or whatever. If it had ended with him scrubbing tables and shit, which was my first thought/fear, then I would have had a hard time swallowing that.

Edit:

The YouTube videos on this are going to be epic.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

What’s to keep all the kingdoms from following the North’s example? Seems like if one split the others would follow.
They would lose in a war. Only the "North" is strong enough military and size wise to stand on it's own. The other Kingdom are to interconnected with one another, and they rely on Lannister gold.

Last edited:

Yoda

That was awful, it managed to be worse than the other awful episodes of this season. Oh well, hopefully it gets remade in 10 - 20 years after the books have (hopefully) been finished.

JimiNutz

Banned
This season, and even last season to a lesser extent, aren't what I wanted, but I am trying to look at the "glass half full" even though I have many gripes and some of the logic behind everything seems pretty flawed.

I dunno.

I guess my main emotion/feeling right now is "bittersweet" mixed with "underwhelmed"

Yeah the snow has been on a decline but despite my criticism of the show I have still found enjoyment in every episode.

I'm just struggling to think of anything in this episode that I particularly found exciting. It just felt very boring on first viewing.

Underwhelming and anticlimatic is how I would describe this episode.

This would feel much better in a binge

I can def see that being the case.
I still think this episode could have been so much better though.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Was OK episode. Danny got next to no dialogue, pretty disappointing. This whole season has lacked vital and interesting dialogue. Grey Worm saying cool cool take our two prisoners and we'll peace out seems fairly ridiculous, putting his faith in the Kingdom of Starks to keep Jon, their literal hero, in the black (which is additionally dumb as all the WW/NK are dead). But at least it gave him a chance to pet Ghost lol.

Selecting Bran for king was weird too. Dude has literally no personality, has demonstrated minimal wisdom other than being a Zen Buddhist. W/e.

If the books go this general path, which they may well do, I expect GRRM to present this stuff exponentially better.

i'm more pleased about all these sjw's, feminists and hipsters getting btfo'd.

That says just as much about you as it does them.

Pretty sure there were a couple of “guesses” in this thread about Bran too.

I don't know how Bran would have been predicted. I mean why? I thought a side candidate would take it, like Sansa or Gendry. Gendry probably would have been how I would have written it....if I knew how to write anything actually worth reading.

But Bran? How did anyone see that coming.

Dargor

Why would everyone else be cool with the North breaking off into an independent kingdom ruled by Sansa Stark AND the remaining six kingdoms being ruled by Bran Stark? No one protests this because Tyrion says so...the Tyrion who we've only seen incompetence and mistakes from for ages now, that everyone wants to kill for various treasons? Why is anyone deferring to him? The scene is set up by Edmure Tully bumbling around like a buffoon to contrast, which is such a cheap cop out.

Bronn on the small council and lord of Highgarden and master of coin? Right. A Lannister always pays his debts eh. Preposterous.

The scene where Tyrion must convince Jon to kill Dany takes even more away from Jon's character. He's defending her and rationalizing her acts after she torched a million people. #muhqueen At least he pets Ghost.

Finish the fucking books George.

No, not making sense now, you know what D&D think about that...lol

and what about them saying "hail bran, king of the first men" when he no longer is king of the first men :messenger_tears_of_joy: :pie_roffles: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't know how Bran would have been predicted. I mean why? I thought a side candidate would take it, like Sansa or Gendry. Gendry probably would have been how I would have written it....if I knew how to write anything actually worth reading.

Were your expectations subverted?

greyshark

They would lose in a war. Only the "North" is strong enough military and size wise to stand on it's own. The other Kingdom are to interconnected with one another, and they rely on Lannister gold.

What power does the King even have at this point? He has no army without the North, the Unsullied/Dothraki, or the Lannister’s. The literal seat of power was destroyed. It would have made more sense for every kingdom to split off at that point.

greyshark

They read the leaks.

So the north is independent now? What about the other kingdoms? Why didn't dorne and the iron islands demand the same?
And if they do? Would good guy king Bran accept it or go to war?

My god. I knew what would happen but i'm still disappointed.

How I think it should have ended and how I will pretend it actually did until the books justify the final placements of everyone with proper pacing...

Season 7: Bronn dies protecting Jaime from when he charged Dany

Season 8 Episode 4: Euron destroys the ships but doesn't manage to hit Drogon

Episode 5: As everyone surrenders and the bells ring, have Euron land the lucky shots on the other dragon (more believable since he will be perched). Dany decides to execute all enemy soldiers but doesn't torch King's Landing. End of the episode, Jon does some premeditated vigilante assassination of Dany because she wont stop liberating or whatever.

Episode 6: Drogon is losing it over Dany's death. Torches KL and requires significant sacrifice from the main cast and remaining armies to bring down. All kingdoms from here on out are splintered and manage themselves. Jon rides north and essentially becomes King beyond the wall.

Reactions: 888
So... why would the Dothraki get back on the boats with the Unsullied? I think they would take one look at the decimated area and be all:
V9VYXiR.png

and then proceed to rape and pillage like there's no tomorrow. Especially if they can continue to respawn that quickly.
The writing is so bad. Example...

Arya is going West. Because? No one knows what's west.

Forget that she is standing next to the Ultimate Spoiler Machine.... Bran The Broken (Da Fuck) who could easily tell her.

Moving on. How does she get there? By apparently taking a commercial fishing boat. She fucking Hitch Hiked to go where no one has gone before

NastySparseEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom