• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The discretion shots of Brienne in the bath were almost jarring just because its an HBO series.

UraMallas

The Jaime/Brienne scene was perfect. Nikolaj and Gwendoline did a GREAT job.

Also, was it only me who thought that Robb under rain, when executing Lord Karstark, looked a bit like Ned? I guess I was reminded of Ned executing the NW's deserter.

I think that was the intention along with a contrast to Theon's failed attempt.

LordCanti

i hate the sex and nude scenes....but the one time i am interested in seeing it, it's for jaime's eyes only. what the hell hbo?

Ygritte didn't go full frontal either, despite us having to see random-squire-guy's wang.

The sex scenes are in the book, so it wouldn't have worked without them

hoos30

I loved the episode, but the way (series)
they've set the table for the red wedding is a bit silly. I almost feel like making one of those memes for Robb Stark now. "Gets told he shouldn't cross Walder Frey, crosses Walder Frey. Gets told he will lose half his army if he kills Rickard Karstark. Kills Rickard Karstark, loses half his army. This show doesn't really have time to explain why Robb Stark went from an undefeated commander to the dumbest military strategist in history.
You say that like there's an actual explanation for it. His transition is exactly as you describe it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau going in hard for an Emmy / Golden Globe tonight O_O

Meanwhile, Jorah Fedora is going full on nice guy
My favourite part of the Jorah/Barristan scene was [ASoS]
Jorah trying to find out if Selmy knew he was spying on Dany.

Speevy

Banned
You say that like there's an actual explanation for it. His transition is exactly as you describe it.

I understand that. (series)
I just think they should frame it a bit better. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Catelyn Stark expects both she and her son to die.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i hate the sex and nude scenes....but the one time i am interested in seeing it, it's for jaime's eyes only. what the hell hbo?

My guess is that Gwen Christie probably doesn't have a super muscular body with a flat chest.

There's a certain point where you're starting to break suspension of disbelief that Brienne is super ugly given that Gwen Christie is conventionally attractive but for makeup, hair and a mean expression on her face.

LordCanti

The one thing they didn't need to do was make it so that Robb was (season spoilers)
going back to the Frey's in search of more men, when it kind of sufficed to say that he was going back for a wedding as an apology for breaking his vow. It doesn't make any sense that Walder Frey would have any men left over after making the initial alliance.

It doesn't really matter though; The results will be the same.

Vyer

They should have spaced out the Sansa/Littlefinger stuff more, as it felt really rushed at the end.

Other than that, good episode. Baby jar stuff doesn't bother me; I have no issue with Selyse being nuts as it works in framing how Stannis' relationship with Melissandre has come to be. I always felt the character was disturbed anyhow.

hoos30

I understand that. (series)
I just think they should frame it a bit better. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Catelyn Stark expects both she and her son to die.

Things were quite grim by that point; it would be natural for them to feel that way. Remember,
they were trying to plot ways to sneak back to Winterfell thru the mountains.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, this episode was awful. Selyse doesn't have a mustache. Worst episode EVER!!

:D

Man, I loudly clapped at the "lord's kiss" (I dunno why but I really wanted that detail to stay in :D) and when Jaime got into the bathtub. Nicolaj really nailed that scene. And Olenna slayed, as usual. Loved her scene with Tyrion, that was great.
Other than the babies in the jar (that was honestly very stupid and WTF) I really really liked the episode, no complaints... except the lack of male nudity... why can't we females get our fanservice too? Sure we got to see Jaime's butt but pfft, I could have used more. :p

And Mr. Cogman, I have been harsh towards you and your Talissa apologist ways, but I forgive you for finally showing Arya's prayer again. Thank you. That was really badly missing from, well, the first and only time she's ever said it. I was so happy to hear it again, I would even forgive that she omitted the Mountain. :p

So, the slightly-bad:
- Fetuses in a jar
- Selyse having no mustache (I'm kidding... kinda XD)
- Tormund being so serious. People talked about the Pod scenes adding some "needed levity", yet there is plenty of humour in the source material, including from both Stannis and Tormund, yet they turned them into humourless pricks. Ah well.

The good (pretty much everything else):
- Shireen being frigging adorable
- Arya saying goodbye to Gendry, awww (you can hear the cries of a million shippers screaming in unison at that scene XD)
- The Hound duel, and Beric's speech to Arya (+ her prayer)
- Grey Worm! <3 Loved his introduction and the explanation for keeping his name.
- Olenna being badass.
- Lord's Kiss!
- Jaime and Brienne in the bath. Perfect, just perfect.
- Karstark's treason and execution. Though if I were to nitpick, Robb should have struggled more with the head cleaving. ;)
- Tywin's marriage plots. The look on Cersei's face was priceless. Her private joy at Tyrion's distress evaporated damn quickly, lol.

This episode was written by Bryan Cogman who did episode 3 in season 2 where Arya had that good scene with Yoren. That was like the only episode in that season that she got some real development.

Seems like he is putting her story on his back because no one else knows how to.
I thought the same thing! Cogman must be an Arya fan. Good for him.

I think that was the intention along with a contrast to Theon's failed attempt.
Probably. But Robb wasn't better than Theon at it in the book. Guess they want to make him appear more competent.

Well, this episode was awful. Selyse doesn't have a mustache. Worst episode EVER!!

Man, I loudly clapped at the "lord's kiss" (I dunno why but I really wanted that detail to stay in :D) and when Jaime got into the bathtub. Nicolaj really nailed that scene. And Olenna slayed, as usual. Loved her scene with Tyrion, that was great.
Other than the babies in the jar (that was honestly very stupid and WTF) I really really liked the episode, no complaints... except the lack of male nudity... why can't we females get our fanservice too? Sure we got to see Jaime's butt but pfft, I could have used more. :p

And Mr. Cogman, I have been harsh towards you and your Talissa apologist ways, but I forgive you for finally showing Arya's prayer again. Thank you. That was really badly missing from, well, the first and only time she's ever said it. I was so happy to hear it again, I would even forgive that she omitted the Mountain. :p

So, the slightly-bad:
- Fetuses in a jar
- Selyse having no mustache (I'm kidding... kinda XD)
- Tormund being so serious. People talked about the Pod scenes adding some "needed levity", yet there is plenty of humour in the source material, including from both Stannis and Tormund, yet they turned them into humourless pricks. Ah well.

The good (pretty much everything else):
- Shireen being frigging adorable
- Arya saying goodbye to Gendry, awww (you can hear the cries of a million shippers screaming in unison at that scene XD)
- The Hound duel, and Beric's speech to Arya (+ her prayer)
- Grey Worm! <3 Loved his introduction and the explanation for keeping his name.
- Olenna being badass.
- Lord's Kiss!
- Jaime and Brienne in the bath. Perfect, just perfect.
- Karstark's treason and execution. Though if I were to nitpick, Robb should have struggled more with the head cleaving. ;)
- Tywin's marriage plots. The look on Cersei's face was priceless. Her private joy at Tyrion's distress evaporated damn quickly, lol.

I thought the same thing! Cogman must be an Arya fan. Good for him.

Probably. But Robb wasn't better than Theon at it in the book. Guess they want to make him appear more competent.
Humour from Stannis? What are you talking about?

Dragon

Banned

Lack of male nudity? Uh there's a guy with his schlong hanging out in the scene with Loras...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People don't like Aiden Gillen? GAF never fails to surprise me.
Personally I like Aiden Gillen and I thought he was great as Carcetti, but I don't care much for his portrayal of Littlefinger. I don't know if the fault's in the actor or the showrunners though... but people forget that Littlefinger is such a good schemer because he's good at appearing harmless, friendly and unambitious. TV-Littlefinger is kind of a mustache-twirling villain that just screams "look at me, I'm a schemer hatching plots lololol". Kind of annoying.

UraMallas

You see random dude's full frontal wang in bed with Loras and you definitely see Jaime's balls. There were asses errywhere this episode. Guess they had to make up for the two previous episodes.

Good ep. Hound/Beric stuff was pretty well done, Tyrion stuff was also good. Stannis scenes were okay too, though the fetuses were indeed a little odd. I liked that ASOS
the red wedding has been foreshadowed. I feel like they needed to remind viewers of who Frey is so the event doesn't come out nowhere
. The Jaime/Brienne scene was ace. We also got to see at least 5 different naked butts which is always a plus.
ASOS
the whole point of the red wedding is that is comes out of nowhere

Speevy

Banned
When Arya asked if they could bring back a man with no head, I instantly pictured a talking head on a spike, taunting Joffrey.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
No, it really doesn't. It's heavily foreshadowed in ACoK and ASoS:

Dany in the House of the Undying, the Ghost of Hight Heart, ominous shit with Grey Wind at the Twins, even Patchfaces predicts it.

Speevy

Banned
ASOS

ASOS
I don't think something so drastic has ever been done on television before. As far as the audience is concerned, there are only two adult "good" characters trying to depose Joffrey. That audience is going to react differently to the red wedding than your typical book reader.

Loofy

There's a certain point where you're starting to break suspension of disbelief that Brienne is super ugly given that Gwen Christie is conventionally attractive but for makeup, hair and a mean expression on her face.
In the book jaime gets a chubby seeing brienne bathing.

ASOS

The Freys haven't been onscreen since S1, they kind of need to at least give TV watchers some kind of reminder of who they are before they return to that location. There's nothing so far that suggests anything about the nature of the red wedding (at least directly, there's been indirect for foreshadowing that TV-only people won't get until after it happens).

This is my favorite episode of the season so far. I was on the edge of my seat during the Jaime/Brienne scene. So fucking good.

No, it really doesn't. It's heavily foreshadowed in ACoK and ASoS:

Dany in the House of the Undying, the Ghost of Hight Heart, ominous shit with Grey Wind at the Twins, even Patchfaces predicts it.
ASOS
its called foreshadowing because it only makes sense after the event has happened. Nobody saw the Red Wedding coming.

ASOS
I don't think something so drastic has ever been done on television before. As far as the audience is concerned, there are only two adult "good" characters trying to depose Joffrey. That audience is going to react differently to the red wedding than your typical book reader.
ASOS
its going to be an issue either way. Even I'm growing sad thinking Robb and co. will be gone soon :( they dealt with offing the main character in season one. This will probably be bigger

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guy almost murders a kid, impregnates his sister, has his hand cut off, and you're lusting after his dirty ass. Interesting.
What can I say, he's hot.

"Hundreds will die!"
"Thousands."
That's one of the rare moments where I really "felt" Stannis like he was meant to be. That and the grammar nazi bit. And of course he's funny. Maybe not intentionally so, but that's what makes it cool, his dry wit. "This isn't King's Landing", "In your bed she's like to stay that way", "Lord-too-fat-to-sit-a-horse", the letter-correcting... and the [series]
TWOW stuff I can't mention

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
its called foreshadowing because it only makes sense after the event has happened. Nobody saw the Red Wedding coming.

I agree it makes sense after the fact, but you said it "came out of nowhere". I'm explaining that it didn't. I'm not disagreeing that it'll be shocking, but it doesn't come out of nowhere. FFS, Dany saw a dead king with a wolf's head sewn on his head, lol. Oh and I forgot another big hint, when Tyrion is puzzled at the Westerling betraying the Lannisters for the Stark, and then Tywin basically saying they know exactly what they're doing. And Arya overhearing strange stuff with Bolton too in ACoK hinting that the Boltons will betray the Starks.

Tokubetsu

Personally I like Aiden Gillen and I thought he was great as Carcetti, but I don't care much for his portrayal of Littlefinger. I don't know if the fault's in the actor or the showrunners though... but people forget that Littlefinger is such a good schemer because he's good at appearing harmless, friendly and unambitious. TV-Littlefinger is kind of a mustache-twirling villain that just screams "look at me, I'm a schemer hatching plots lololol". Kind of annoying.

I think it's a bit on the showrunners mainly because they're potrayal of LF like you said, is a bit heavy on the mustache twirling. Then they add stuff like the brothel scene in s2 and they almost go out of their way to show him as a bastard.

I agree it makes sense after the fact, but you said it "came out of nowhere". I'm explaining that it didn't. I'm not disagreeing that it'll be shocking, but it doesn't come out of nowhere. FFS, Dany saw a dead king with a wolf's head sewn on his head, lol. Oh and I forgot another big hint, when Tyrion is puzzled at the Westerling betraying the Lannisters for the Stark, and then Tywin basically saying they know exactly what they're doing. And Arya overhearing strange stuff with Bolton too in ACoK hinting that the Boltons will betray the Starks.
ASOS
which had absolutely no relevance until it happened. Dany's visions were as much in the past as present with no real indication that they were relevant to events outside her own circumstances. You're talking about hints of betrayals and high lords changing allwgiance as they had throughout the whole books. Even if a reader clued into all that None of that would have led a reader to think Robb and Catelyn were about to be murdered by what were previously background characters

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
which had absolutely no relevance until it happened. Dany's visions were as much in the past as present with no real indication that they were relevant to events outside her own circumstances. You're talking about hints of betrayals and high lords changing allwgiance as they had throughout the whole books. Even if a reader clued into all that None of that would have led a reader to think Robb and Catelyn were about to be murdered by what were previously background characters

I think we're just talking past each others here. [ASoS]
Again, I'm not disagreeing it was shocking or that a reader should have seen it coming a mile away, but I was disagreeing with the statement that it "came out of nowhere". Even just prior to the massacre there were many hints that things were going to go wrong and shit was about to hit the fans. I guess we're just arguing semantics at this point... Anyway, that it still managed to be so shocking is, IMO, a testament of GRRM's awesome writing.

Y'all are having a really dumb argument right now.

I was gonna say this

You're agreeing with each other and yet the conversation rages on!

ASOS
The show hasn't ruined the red wedding by any stretch yet. It's the one event that the showrunners hold higher than any other, I doubt they'd want to lessen its impact (ya know, beyond the shock of killing two major major characters in the cruelest of ways)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom