• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babies in jars aside (that was pretty fucking stupid), pretty damn solid episode. Best of the season so far.

Jon continues to be a lost cause, and Tormund continues to suck, but the nudity was appreciated.

Guess TV Loras doesn't miss Renly that much.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Babies in jars aside (that was pretty fucking stupid), pretty damn solid episode. Best of the season so far.

Jon continues to be a lost cause, and Tormund continues to suck, but the nudity was appreciated.

Guess TV Loras doesn't miss Renly that much.

Was so stupid...

I still don't see the dislike for Jon. He's just as green and a tad annoying as he was in the books at this point.

Magnus

Was this the most far-ranging episode of the entire series so far? It visited....every single story in one hour? Except Bran.

Oh, and Theon.

LordCanti

Great episode. That's all I can really say about it until the inevitable rewatch, where I'll notice ways they've screwed the pooch for later season plot lines :p

Charles Dance and Nikolai are killing it. Either one is deserving of an emmy, though I doubt it will happen. The same goes for whoever is playing Olenna.

Dat Rose Leslie!

Oh and yeah...I hate the babies bit. I'm guessing they'll (ADWD)
have Mel burn them later
but I don't care for it. It's not a big deal though.

Lots of backstory, a couple of people I was with had a bit of trouble keeping up, hopefully people didn't have a hard time of it. Favorite episode of the year for me

aceface

Awesome episode!!!

So much great stuff that I forgot it all. Gotta watch again.

Liked the shoutout to patchface on the credits song!

Magnus

I suspect that somehow, THIS fantasy element (resurrection) is the one that's going to piss normal viewers off the most. Dragons, zombies, subtle magics, face-changers, sure. Resurrection? Wtf!

Two of my friends threw their hands up at the Beric scene. "How can anyone truly die now?"

SOS
I admit. It's what I thought when I read that chapter too...

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Great episode. Jamie scene about the Mad King was fantastic.

I could've done without the fetus jars though. It makes Stannis look like the Santorum of Westeros.

ASOS
Someone's going to open their big mouth in this thread or the other and ruin it for people, I just know it.

ASOS
There's no way people aren't going to have a general idea of what's going down by the time the episode comes up. They would have had to somehow arrange the RW for episode four or something instead of the climactic episode of the entire season.

Hystzen

I suspect that somehow, THIS fantasy element (resurrection) is the one that's going to piss normal viewers off the most. Dragons, zombies, subtle magics, face-changers, sure. Resurrection? Wtf!

Two of my friends threw their hands up at the Beric scene. "How can anyone truly die now?"

SOS

Non book readers going be worse at end of season with Catylen

thats going cause more confusion/piss off

UraMallas

SOS
I thought the scene with Arya addressed that nicely as well as doubling as a very emotional scene. I very much liked Arya's scenes this episode.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
what the FUCK is up with the jar-babies? what the fuck.

seriously, It's completely changing the Stannis character from somewhat sympathetic to completely insane.

He had a wife that was loyal and pious, now shes just downright insane.

This season gets better with every episode. I had real doubts about the showrunners during season 2 because of some of the decisions they made but S3 is shaping up to be one of the finest (subjectively) seasons of television I've seen.

devilhawk

I thought the books heavily implied that Stannis' wife knew about and was not bothered by Melisandre. The crazy angle they are giving her is actually much better in that provides a clear reason why she acts the way she does.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Non book readers going be worse at end of season with Catylen

thats going cause more confusion/piss off

Series
I REALLY hope they hold back the Lady Stoneheart reveal until next season. I think it would be much more effective to have people think she's dead. Granted I did not read the books when they came out, but I think it would have been more effective in the books to hold it off too. In AFFC you hear stories about Lady Stoneheart, but you know who she is, and why she's doing things. It would have been so much better to have Brienne's discovery be the audiences discovery as well. Similarly, its something I did love about AFFC, was not having any narration by Tyrion. Letting you wonder where he is, and having his only lines in the book be the paranoid visions of Cersei and and memories of Jamie.

devilhawk

Series
I REALLY hope they hold back the Lady Stoneheart reveal until next season. I think it would be much more effective to have people think she's dead. Granted I did not read the books when they came out, but I think it would have been more effective in the books to hold it off too. In AFFC you hear stories about Lady Stoneheart, but you know who she is, and why she's doing things. It would have been so much better to have Brienne's discovery be the audiences discovery as well. Similarly, its something I did love about AFFC, was not having any narration by Tyrion. Letting you wonder where he is, and having his only lines in the book be the paranoid visions of Cersei and and memories of Jamie.

ASoS
it will be interesting to see if they have the Nymeria scene in episode 10. I, too, hope they don't reveal her til next season

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Series

It kinda gives it away when they re-cast her though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It kinda gives it away when they re-cast her though.

I'd love if they keep her out of S4 entirely, but bring her back in S5 (or in the last episode of S4), but I know they won't tell an actress to go away for a year, unfortunately. Then recast news can be brushed off as a dream or flashback scene.

aceface

Is that fetus deal part of the book in any way? It's been a while since I read, and I don't remember that...

No, but some speculation on that mixed with ASOS spoilers:
I'm guessing Mel is going to burn those fetuses cause they contain the king's blood...then she's going to want to burn Stannis's daughter. Davos will try to talk Stannis out of that. I was a little upset that we're supposed to believe that Stannis's daughter somehow is going to teach Davos how to read during random nights when the guard is drunk...remember, Davos being able to read the letter from the night's watch was a big plot point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
what the FUCK is up with the jar-babies? what the fuck.

seriously, It's completely changing the Stannis character from somewhat sympathetic to completely insane.

He had a wife that was loyal and pious, now shes just downright insane.

I think it was designed to make Selyse look insane, not Stannis. Series
I mean, she's at least fairly insane in the books and super into the Lord of Light stuff...although assuredly not "babies in jars" as far as we know; I think the idea is to just make her seem like a crazy fucker you wouldn't want to be near. The only real difference is that Stannis does a better job of managing her particular level of crazy in the books and here it made it seem like he has not control over her un-hingedness.

RaidenZR

Man, that Stannis and jar babies stuff was weird. I'll echo the sentiments here, it really did seem out of place.

The Beric/Hound fight was decent. I thought they did better job with the choreography and action than they did with the Jamie/Brienne spar, but this was supposed to have more dramatic weight anyways so that was good. It never quite hit the same levels as a quality feature film's fight, but overall it was nice and the fiery flourishes made it loads more entertaining.

I was sort of hoping they would depict the "lord's kiss" somehow when bringing Beric back. They kind of copped-out with it... I was actually looking forward to seeing how they would have brought it to life on-screen. Even something out of focus with the Hound staring at Beric rising, or something along those lines would have sufficed. Was also nice to get some ACTUAL Arya development, although much of the beats were the same ones covered in her nightime chat with Yoren last year.

Jaime was really good with the backstory in the tub, and I really think that Nikolaj is killing it this year. Although fucking HBOGo's 5.1 sound is shit, so I had to repeatedly rewind that scene because Jaime's gruff dialogue in that was usually hard to make out.

Anyone else think the jumping abruptly between Sansa/Loras/Littlefinger stuff was really distracting and roughly done? It was really curtly handled. They could have had Dany sit out an episode, then use that time to let those scenes play out a bit smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom