• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

Wonderful episode.

Surprisingly, they managed to make Stannis' side of things awesome again. I was actually dreading it a bit after the fetus jar pic was posted earlier (it's a particular pet peeve of mine), but everything there was great for fleshing out Stannis and those close to him. And what can I say about Shireen? Adorable as heck and a perfect addition to the show, which I was not expecting at all. Really evened out both Stannis and Davos.

NCW excelled as Jaime once again. No surprise there.

Everything is popping. It's all good, even the Robb content. And I think it's going to get better still.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wonderful episode.

Surprisingly, they managed to make Stannis' side of things awesome again. I was actually dreading it a bit after the fetus jar pic was posted earlier (it's a particular pet peeve of mine), but everything there was great for fleshing out Stannis and those close to him. And what can I say about Shireen? Adorable as heck and a perfect addition to the show, which I was not expecting at all.

NCW excelled as Jaime once again. No surprise there.

Everything is popping. It's all good, even the Robb content. And I think it's going to get better still.

Fetus jars are a pet peeve of yours?

Snake

Fetus jars are a pet peeve of yours?

Yeah, an exceptionally specific one obviously!

Things like The X-Files, American Horror Story, Alien:Resurrection, etc (LEGIONS of bad horror movies) have used them as cheap gross out moments in an attempt add horror to the atmosphere, and it's usually just grotesque or looks cheesy.

But it didn't bother me at all here.

The directing this season's been on another level.

Next episode is Alik Sakharov's, who did the second best job last season after Neil Marshall.
Directing has been a common complaint of this show for the hardcore fans of holding it back from what it could be, but I see (and personally share) none of those complaints this season. Directing has been excellent, especially in the last 3 episodes with Benioff and Graves. Graves has been the most pleasant surprise for me, as someone that's probably directed more West Wing episodes than anything else combined, I was curious to see him take on a show with this scale, and he has not disappointed in the least. With Alik Sakharov next week and Michelle MacLaren for episodes 7 and 8, the streak of excellent directing shows no sign of slowing.
Apparently everyone is going for an Emmy this year.
The acting this season has also been excellent across the board. Nikolaj gunning for that Emmy!

-----------------------

My thoughts:

Wow, as if last week's episode wasn't great with its major events, this week's was arguably better even though it was stuffed with more scenes and character arcs than I thought possibly in an hour of TV.

-Beric and The Hound, holy shit that fight was great, probably the best fight the series has done, seriously the choreography and cinematography of the scene was excellent, just how I imaged it in the books.
-Speaking of which, great episode for Ayra. All her scenes were great, but damn if that goodbye scene with Gendry didn't call for the man tears. "I can be your family" Damn Maisie can act
-Oh yeah, acting. As I mentioned above the bath scene was incredible (although I join the above posts about the mixing in that scene. Some of the dialogue was a muffled).
-Robb's scenes were pretty excellent as well. I knew they were going to contrast Theon's execution of Rodrik with Robb's execution, with Theon failing to do everything as well as Robb does it ("His life fit him better than his clothes"). The hands violently shaking as he quickly walked away from the scene was excellent. Also ASOS
I like how they are setting up an attempt to taking Casterly Rock.
-Kissed by Fire, awesomeness that I'm glad to see made it pretty directly from the book.
-Shireen was great, quite a surprise that she played such a big part in the episode, her scenes her very sweet to watch.
-The only complaint would be nearly all the Kings Landing's scenes back to back at the end of the episode, but the final scene was incredible. ASOS
The Loras marriage plot hasn't quite played out like I assumed. I guessed that Tywin would force Loras going the Kingsguard would prevent the Loras/Sansa marriage, but it appears he still wants Loras in the picture to marry Cersei. Book reminder: who did Tywin want Cersei to marry in the book?

It's very late, content roundup with review, recaps, interviews, and previews tomorrow.

Snake

Beric's actor is really good. All we've talked about for the most part is how they maybe haven't done enough to establish his character, but I think his screen presence more than makes up for it.

And Thoros is no slouch either.

edit:
-Beric and The Hound, holy shit that fight was great, probably the best fight he series has done, seriously the choreography and cinematography of the scene was excellent, just how I imaged it in the books.
And especially impressive considering that it can't be easy to be filming that with a flaming sword. I also loved the very slight "whooshing" sound Beric's sword made at times.

larry's review is up - http://youtu.be/chSXV_EWFHs

"Jaime will have to do something spectacular, something completely outta character, something completely unexpected, and something...that is innately noble or innately honorable with no ulterior motives, no selfishness...Jamie is gonna have to work to earn my sympathy"

That makes no sense. He's already done such a thing at least two times in the show already. One was shown and the other was revealed last night.

Even before Jaime formally explains himself for betraying the Mad King, like as soon as the name "Kingslayer" is used in the books and the story of how he kills the Mad King, I thought it was really strange how everyone looked down on him for killing the King.

I mean, yes, vows broken yadayada, but seriously, the fact that he was named the Mad King ought to make it fairly obvious why Jaime eventually did it. The fucker was known for being absolutely fucking insane.

Still doesn't excuse his other douchey behavior, but that at least indicated he had a shred of decency in him. Moreso now that he's handless

LordCanti

Even before Jaime formally explains himself for betraying the Mad King, like as soon as the name "Kingslayer" is used in the books and the story of how he kills the Mad King, I thought it was really strange how everyone looked down on him for killing the King.

I mean, yes, vows broken yadayada, but seriously, the fact that he was named the Mad King ought to make it fairly obvious why Jaime eventually did it. The fucker was known for being absolutely fucking insane.

Still doesn't excuse his other douchey behavior, but that at least indicated he had a shred of decency in him. Moreso now that he's handless

This is a universe in which you can run away from the Nights Watch and get your head cut off. The punishment for oath breaking and all manner of other crimes is being sent to the Night's Watch, actually. So there's that, but also the sack of King's Landing and the murder of the Queen and her Children are all kind of blamed on him as well (wrongly). Oaths are sort of all that hold the social fabric of the realm together.

Once you hear his side though, it's difficult to fault him. I'm sure jealousy keeps the nickname Kingslayer going more than anything else (he's rich, he's good looking, he's an amazing fighter, etc).

Trasher

("His clothes fit him better than his life").

Nice job botching this quote, STEELY!

I also wanted something clarified from the books: (This episode)
Did Robb take Karstark's head off in one swing? I thought he did (unlike Theon of course), but my friend insisted he didn't. I'm thinking my friend was getting the Theon scene confused with this one. I mean obviously Robb didn't have Ice, but maybe he used some other greatsword?

iamblades

Nice job botching this quote, STEELY!

I also wanted something clarified from the books: (This episode)
Did Robb take Karstark's head off in one swing? I thought he did (unlike Theon of course), but my friend insisted he didn't. I'm thinking my friend was getting the Theon scene confused with this one. I mean obviously Robb didn't have Ice, but maybe he used some other greatsword?

Nope.

In the books Robb used a pole axe and took 3 swings to do the job.

You are probably thinking of the later scene where
Jon executes Janos Slynt

Jexemad

Excellent episode. Maybe my favorite of the show so far.

The bath scene. Thoros and Beric's conversation. The ending scene. All too perfect.

Oh... and The Lord's Kiss, of course.

Petrichor

Seeing as jaime seems to be so well liked by book-readers - I assume he didn't push bran from the tower in book 1 - or is that just interpreted as a tiny peccadillo?

Kuroyume

Banned
Seeing as jaime seems to be so well liked by book-readers - I assume he didn't push bran from the tower in book 1 - or is that just interpreted as a tiny peccadillo?

If he hadn't done that to Bran both Jaime and Cersei would have been killed by Robert if he snitched. So, it was in his best self interest...

LordCanti

He did. He's just (series)
a sympathetic figure because he does everything that he does for Cersei essentially. He's never taken any other lovers (I think) and he joined the Kings Guard (forsaking his inheritance) to be close to Cersei in Kings Landing. He pushed Bran out a window, yes, but only because Bran revealing their secret would have meant them both being beheaded and probably the downfall of their family. In recent days, he's kind of the most noble guy still left on the battlefield in Westeros, and he sees Cersei for the incredible bitch she is. That's why we love the character.

Petrichor

If he hadn't done that to Bran both Jaime and Cersei would have been killed by Robert if he snitched. So, it was in his best self interest...

In the show at least though he's presented as crippling bran so casually and phlegmatically that I find that the turnaround in his character is stretching my credulity somewhat. If he'd pushed bran in a panic and shown remorse at some point thereafter then maybe I'd buy it.

Moff

Its pretty much the same as in the show.
He will be well liked by Show watchers in season 5+, too.
If not already

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guys if I want to read the books, but dont want to read till the TV series has come, where should I begin from? Which book? Which chapter?
Or are there many differences between books and the series, so that I should read the books from the beginning?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Guys if I want to read the books, but dont want to read till the TV series has come, where should I begin from? Which book? Which chapter?
Or are there many differences between books and the series, so that I should read the books from the beginning?

You can't skip books at this point. You'd be extremely confused.

ShinAmano

Start at the first book? Not sure how to answer, but if you want to visit a good summary site that blocks spoilers by book/season check out Tower of the Hand.

Joni

Read from the beginning. Characters are much better defined and there are a lot of minor things cut from earlier seasons that are important in later books.

At most you might be able to start with book 2. But if you skipped book 1, you'd be missing out on a ton of differing characterization and a ton of back story and internal musings by the characters. All of which are way more prominent and important than they have been in the show. The back story and history aspect especially. I'd just start from book 1.

Essentially Jaime is a simp, so a lot of people relate to him.

Apart from that fact that people like Jamie because (AFFC)
he overcomes his obsession with his sister.
I think the simps are the ones who go out of their way justify Sansa and Kaitlyn's constant fucking up.

Larsa

Best episode in the season so far, in my opinion. Just a lot of really great character moments.
The Jaime and Brienne bath scene is probably my favorite scene in A Storm of Swords and I've been looking forward to it since the show was announced. Extremely happy that they nailed it.

The writing, acting and overall production of this season is blowing my mind. It's like night and day compared to Season 2.

Probably my favourite character building episode in the series. The Karstark betrayal, the Beric/Hound fight, Shireen's introduction, and the bathtub scene were all so well done.

Eidan

Apart from that fact that people like Jamie because (AFFC)
he overcomes his obsession with his sister.
I think the simps are the ones who go out of their way justify Sansa and Kaitlyn's constant fucking up.

I don't think you know what a simp is.

Anyway, I thought the episode was very good, and I think I can already say that the third season is much better than the second. The benefits of having good source material to adapt.

The highlight of the episode was definitely that final scene between Tywin, Tyrion, and Cersei. Seeing the Lannisters squabble, manipulate, and resent each other always makes for compelling drama. The Jaime/Brienne scene was also great. ASOS
I think the only big Jaime backstory revelation they have left is explaining how Jaime's appointment to the Kingsguard was less about his skill, and more about how Aerys wanted to put Tywin in his place.

Also, it moved when Brienne stood in the bath. I'm not ashamed.

I also noticed ASOS
that they seem to be setting up the Barristan deception well. Since he never masquerades as Whitebeard on the show, I guess the deception that Dany will punish him for is lying about being on the Small Council and hiding the fact that he knew about Jorah.

Also, from the non-reader thread.

He just lost the fucking war. Wtf. Why behead his own bannerman and serving lords because they murdered an enemy prisoner? I blame Catelyn for this.

I love it. That irrational Cat hate.

Man

"Jaime will have to do something spectacular, something completely outta character, something completely unexpected, and something...that is innately noble or innately honorable with no ulterior motives, no selfishness...Jamie is gonna have to work to earn my sympathy"

ASoS:
The bear pit... which will be in this season.... my favorite line in probably all the books is the answer Jaime gives Brienne after the rescue and why he did it.

PS. I believe they messed up Jon's romantic endeavour which was one of my favorite passages in the book. The scene should have been quite more special.

Big-E

This season has been far better than the last. this episode did a great job with what it had. My only minor complaint is that Loras seems to be handled differently and I am not sure how that is going to pay off.

Ark

The greyscale looked great, the fetuses are still fucked up, Rose Leslie is hot, and the bath scene was fantastic.

Only gripe I have is how they got Karstark's execution wrong.

Big-E

The greyscale looked great, the fetuses are still fucked up, Rose Leslie is hot, and the bath scene was fantastic.

That too. It is a small enough thing to include that would have added more weight to the scene and mirrored Theon from last season.

Munin

Can you explain why please, ages since I read the books

This season has been far better than the last. this episode did a great job with what it had. My only minor complaint is that Loras seems to be handled differently and I am not sure how that is going to pay off.

It's not that different. They've shrunken down his family so that he is the Tyrell heir instead of an off-screen character in Willas.

Meier

Last night's episode was excellent and paced very well. I guess it's hard to remove myself entirely, but I feel like if I were a non-book reader that this season would have been the best thus far.

FStop7

Banned

ughhh.gif

Ark

Can you explain why please, ages since I read the books

ASOS:
In the books Robb uses an axe or something, but he takes three swings to take off Karstark's head. That, coupled with the rain, was really the point in ASOS where I realised Robb and his campaign were doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom