• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mission

So does adorable little Shireen singing that song mean no Patchface on TV? That would be so awesome. One of my least favourite things in the books.

I was wondering why she was "mumbling" in between each verse and then I finally caught it.

Personally I like Aiden Gillen and I thought he was great as Carcetti, but I don't care much for his portrayal of Littlefinger. I don't know if the fault's in the actor or the showrunners though... but people forget that Littlefinger is such a good schemer because he's good at appearing harmless, friendly and unambitious. TV-Littlefinger is kind of a mustache-twirling villain that just screams "look at me, I'm a schemer hatching plots lololol". Kind of annoying.

I think it's a bit on the showrunners mainly because they're potrayal of LF like you said, is a bit heavy on the mustache twirling. Then they add stuff like the brothel scene in s2 and they almost go out of their way to show him as a bastard.

I tend to disagree. I think most of the characters have admitted that he is one of the most dangerous players in the game, but at the same time he seems to be well liked and even charming. He's important. When others characters want information or a favor he is the first person they turn to. I'm not even sure if I'd classify him as a villain, honestly. He's a social climber that jumps social ladders, an opportunist, and a schemer. I think that's exactly how Gillen portrays him too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So does adorable little Shireen singing that song mean no Patchface on TV? That would be so awesome. One of my least favourite things in the books.

I was wondering why she was "mumbling" in between each verse and then I finally caught it.
Aww, but I liked Patchface. I don't miss him from the show, but he was creepy and weird and fun all at once.

[ASoS]
Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not even sure if I'd classify him as a villain, honestly. He's a social climber that jumps social ladders, an opportunist, and a schemer.
Dude... what. [series]
When social climbers go as far as multiple murder and starting wars to get what they want, how can you argue they aren't villains?

iamblades

I loved the episode, but the way (series)
they've set the table for the red wedding is a bit silly. I almost feel like making one of those memes for Robb Stark now. "Gets told he shouldn't cross Walder Frey, crosses Walder Frey. Gets told he will lose half his army if he kills Rickard Karstark. Kills Rickard Karstark, loses half his army. This show doesn't really have time to explain why Robb Stark went from an undefeated commander to the dumbest military strategist in history.

All the explanation you need for that is that Robb is Ned's son.
Clearly brilliant warriors and tacticians who are shit at politics because their code of honor gets in the way.

Of course the fact that the show makes Robb's marriage more of a love story instead of Robb just doing it because it was 'the right thing to do' according to his code of honor confuses the issue a bit but that's not a major issue really.

Jarmel

Banned
I've always been disappointed that NCW hasn't gotten more recognition for his work as Jaime. Quite frankly I thought he's done the best of the Lannister trio. Hopefully he gets more credit now.

Dude... what. [series]
When social climbers go as far as multiple murder and starting wars to get what they want, how can you argue they aren't villains?

He's not the only character that has done such a thing. In fact
many characters have killed for absolutely no reason other than they simply can. At least in his case he had a reason.

Kuroyume

Banned
Really good episode

A lot of great scenes in this one:

- Hound/Dondarrion fight
- Qyburn meets Jaime
- Dondarrion/Thoros/Arya conversation
- Jaime and Brienne bath scene
- Scene at the end

And good stuff

- Seeing Davos again and his scene with Shireen
- Greyworm introduction

And naked Ygritte was gross.

2r88tgU.gif

BLASPHEMY!!

Why is Tormund so...lacking of mirth? He's so serious.
I wish after Tormund stared down Jon he just let loose a big "HAAAR!" and said something to the effect that he was just fucking with Jon. That's what I love about Tormund in the books- he is kind of crazy and could totally kill you if you got on his bad side, but he likes Jon and kind of likes messing with him.

Tywin is a dick of a character. Cersei is actually more similar to him than any of his children, she's just incredibly stupid. She's a cutthroat without the intelligence behind it. Tyrion actually has a moral compass and Tywin hates him for what he is because of the consequences of him being born. Jaime is what he hangs his hat on, but only because Tywin feels that Jaime has effectively lived up to the Lannister name and what is expected of them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Tywin is a dick of a character. Cersei is actually more similar to him than any of his children, she's just incredibly stupid. She's a cutthroat without the intelligence behind it. Tyrion actually has a moral compass and Tywin hates him for what he is because of the consequences of him being born. Jaime is what he hangs his hat on, but only because Tywin feels that Jaime has effectively lived up to the Lannister name and what is expected of them.
Series
Tywin thinks Jamie is a fuckup too, ever since he joined the Kingsguard. Now without a hand? Tywin realizes all his children are no good to him, in his eyes at least.

I don't know how spoilery that really is, I am just playing it safe.

jett

D-Member
Tormund is so fucking awful. That's just not Tormund. At all. Enough said. I don't understand why the showrunners felt that we needed yet another grim/gruff character. Don't we have enough of those?

Jarmel

Banned
Series
Tywin thinks Jamie is a fuckup too, ever since he joined the Kingsguard. Now without a hand? Tywin realizes all his children are no good to him, in his eyes at least.

I don't know how spoilery that really is, I am just playing it safe.

I disagree with that. I think he always viewed Jaime's stint in the Kingsguard as temporary but still an annoyance. It wasn't so much that his son was a fuckup but running from his responsibilities. He doesn't feel jackshit about Tyrion and Cersei other than for them to pump out kids.

Pkaz01

So many people misinterpreted what Gendry was saying to Arya as him saying she would be his lady in a romantic way. When really he was saying she would be his superior and he'd be just another servant. Not too big of a deal really but still interesting how one word can change the interpretation so much

RyanDG

Spoilers for ASOS.
Man, watching this show has made me realize once again just how much the books highlight the consequence of choices. If Robb would have only bent the knee to Stannis (as his father was willing to do), so much of the Stark's misfortune could've been avoided. Instead, he became headstrong and took up a mantel that he was ill prepared to take.

Not a bad episode. I guess they've written Willas and Garlan out of the show, if Loras is heir; not complaining, just pointing it out.

Lots of Arya tonight which was great. I loved...every scene she was in. Williams hasn't had much to do this season but she really knocked this episode out the park. With respect to the Beric stuff...the fight was all over the place in terms of the way it was shot but overall it was a nice duel. I still think the show has dropped the ball on Beric. A few mentions of him in S2 and earlier this season would have worked wonders, not just to build up a mythic feel to him but to introduce the concept of him dying multiple times. In the book you hear about him dying, then 100 pages later you hear whispers that he's alive only to die again, etc. I'd imagine the revive might have been jarring to new viewers.

The bathtub scene was truly amazing. Still don't like what they did with his character last season (killing his cousin), but overall this season has been the coming out moment for the character, as it was in the book.

Finally some Jon developments. I'm guessing we're not going to get a jovial Tormund, ever. Seems like they've combined him with Magnar, which I guess makes sense.

Dany barely had any screen time this episode, again. I guess the second half of this season will be Dany heavy

LordCanti

Ygritte looked like a bag of bones and she had the boob droop. Compared to Margaery, Dany? Rough man. Really rough.

Dany's body (as of the last time we saw it...a couple years ago) was ridiculous, but Rose Leslie is still fit. Her boobs didn't sag any more than they should for being real.

The Beric/Hound fight is easily my favorite fight in the series. Well choreographed and beautifully shot. There were wide enough angles to appreciate the swordplay and the lighting was top notch stuff. The producers on a S1 commentary said that they chose their camera for the show because of how well fire shows through it; and it shows especially so this episode.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's (series)
just an infection that can be caught, as far as anyone knows.

Right, but I didn't know if we found out where. Series
With how Griff got it, and with that crazy island of Grey scale folks, I kind of thought it was a bit more exotic than something a Westerosi princess could just catch

larry's review is up - http://youtu.be/chSXV_EWFHs

"Jaime will have to do something spectacular, something completely outta character, something completely unexpected, and something...that is innately noble or innately honorable with no ulterior motives, no selfishness...Jamie is gonna have to work to earn my sympathy"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Another good episode this week - not so much for action, like last week, but good for plain old character development.

The Hound vs. Beric fight was decent - certainly better than the awful Jamie vs. Brienne fight earlier this season - though I wasn't a fan of all the way it was shot. It was a little disorienting. I thought the flaming sword looked cool though, and I liked the scene where Arya tried to kill the Hound. Beric's resurrection also worked well.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying in regards to the babies in the jars. It was a little weird seeing something like that in this universe, though I suppose it's not completely out of place.

Shireen was really well done and I thought they nailed the look of the greyscale. Not sure if I buy the fact that she's teaching Davos how to read every night in between the guards' shifts, or whatever, but they have good chemistry and Shireen is super adorable so I'll let it slide for now. Also: I know I know oh oh oh :D

Jamie's monologue in the bath was very well done. NCW gave a very good performance, and Gwendoline Christie provided some good reaction shots. Easily the best Jamie/Brienne scene on the show to date.

OMG Grey Worm! :3

Yunkai in the opening credits! :O

Lkr

oh god i laughed pretty hard, someone on another website posted how they can't wait to see [ASOS]
Robb take casterly rock in the next few episodes

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
oh god i laughed pretty hard, someone on another website posted how they can't wait to see [ASOS]
Robb take casterly rock in the next few episodes

It could happen man. Just look at how they changed Tormund. Obviously if they can make THAT big a change, they can make others. I mean, Tormund is just such a jolly fellow.

Lkr

It could happen man. Just look at how they changed Tormund. Obviously if they can make THAT big a change, they can make others. I mean, Tormund is just such a jolly fellow.

well the preview for the next episode showed him asos
trying to figure out how to gain support from the Freys. we all know how that will go over

Helmholtz

ASOS
the whole point of the red wedding is that is comes out of nowhere
Poor choice of words. What I was getting at is ASOS
I'm glad they're mentioning the situation that leads to that event. I feel like Frey, and Rob's arranged marriage was only mentioned like once or twice before, in previous seasons. So It's good that they brought it up again. So that when the red wedding happens it will still be a WTF moment, but will make sense to viewers.

scosher

This was a fantastic character episode. One of the best in the series when it came to fleshing out back stories and history.

Also, Shireen could easily have been cut, so I'm glad she was cast. ADWD spoilers/Series speculation:
There's a lot of reader speculation that greyscale is going to play a major role in later books, because of the prevalence of it in ADWD. In one instance, Val makes a remark to Jon that children with greyscale should be put out of their misery. With Shireen's proximity to the Wall, I wouldn't be surprised if her affliction is a gateway for White Walkers to control her. There's just a sense that her and Patchface will have a bigger part to play in the later books, and the show including her likely confirms it.

W1SSY

Watching the series just makes me want to go back and read the series again. And maybe by the time I finished rereading them the new book would be done
halfway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom