• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I never knew how to pronounce Ygritte. I believe that was the first time they said it out loud in the show. I've always said it "Yagreet" in my head.

She looked fantastic btw -- sorry Yaboosh, you're my FSU homie but you're wrong here.

I know this is far off, but how do you think they'll handle [ASOS]
Ygritte's death? I just don't see the arrow happening off-screen.

ZimbAdam

Robb wants to take Casterly Rock?
Heh

ASOS
Heheh, yeah, I really liked that change. Dat glimmer of hope, my housemates don't read the books and their eyes just lit up when Robb mentioned taking Casterly Rock, all like "oh man, can't wait to see that battle!". It's gonna be all the more devastating when Robb reaches The Twins...

Enco

If he hadn't done that to Bran both Jaime and Cersei would have been killed by Robert if he snitched. So, it was in his best self interest...
:lol

I suppose that makes it ok then.

Pushing kids out of windows is fine as long as it serves your best interest. Cool.

I can't wait (ASOS)
for the bear pit. Ahhhhh. I think my favorite line ever is during the bear pit, where he tells them to let her go. Something like "You want her, Kingslayer? Go and get her!" and the next paragraph is just. 'So he did.' I might be remembering wrong though. I had never cheered three little words before then :p

exYle

I never knew how to pronounce Ygritte. I believe that was the first time they said it out loud in the show. I've always said it "Yagreet" in my head.

She looked fantastic btw -- sorry Yaboosh, you're my FSU homie but you're wrong here.

I figured it'd be exactly the same as Yvonne and Yvette, which are pronounced E-von and E-vet. So Ygritte would be E-grit.

Kimaka

So many people misinterpreted what Gendry was saying to Arya as him saying she would be his lady in a romantic way. When really he was saying she would be his superior and he'd be just another servant. Not too big of a deal really but still interesting how one word can change the interpretation so much

Let us dream. But seriously how old is Gendry supposed to be? I assumed he was only a little older than Joffrey.

Another question for you book readers. What is the difference between Cat in the book and show? I remember reading some comments about her personality being changed a bit in the show especially concerning her treatment of Jon.

Let us dream. But seriously how old is Gendry supposed to be? I assumed he was only a little older than Joffrey.

Another question for you book readers. What is the difference between Cat in the book and show? I remember reading some comments about her personality being changed a bit in the show especially concerning her treatment of Jon.

The biggest change is that in the book, Catelyn and Robb find out about the Stark boys in Winterfell which is why Catelyn frees Jaime. Out of grief, and because she thinks Arya and Sansa are all she has left. I think this is a reason that a lot of non-book readers seem to really dislike Catelyn and think she's made a series of stupid decisions. But even in the show, Littlefinger specifically tells her that if she gives up Jaime, she'll get her daughters back.

There's a lot of misplaced hate for this character. Granted, she wrongly imprisoned Tyrion which helped start the whole mess, but aside from that and her treatment of Jon Snow, I don't see the reason for the hate.

Kinda hilarious when everyone in Robb's presence were objecting in executing Rickard Karstark. He just sat there a kept quiet.

Fast forward after Rickard's beheading, Robb said "You were right, the Karstarks are gone"

I guess he wasn't expecting that. rofl

Meier

She's younger and much hotter in the books. I actually thought she looked somewhat pretty in this episode though when we briefly saw her. Maybe her hair was different?

ibyctiMUuywb81.gif

ibazIoonBQ3Arl.gif

iVsFL3kzzaTb7.gif

EDIT: The line is actually "Kill me and be cursed"

ijGWNMZyjtKYO.gif

ibyQVWNtEsIPy8.gif

iqIc1VDhlfegS.gif

ibkixSXNVh1wax.gif

Eidan

Kinda hilarious when everyone in Robb's presence were objecting in executing Rickard Karstark. He just sat there a kept quiet.

Fast forward after Rickard's beheading, Robb said "You were right, the Karstarks are gone"

I guess he wasn't expecting that. rofl

I guess he expected the Karstarks to honor their oath to serve him...or something. Robb's dumb.

omg_mjd

ASOS
It's tragic how Robb's stupidest decisions are due in part to his wanting to be like his father. It's exactly that single-minded pursuit of righteousness and "justice" that got your dad killed! Wake up man.

I guess he expected the Karstarks to honor their oath to serve him...or something. Robb's dumb.

He wasn't mad because he expected them to stay. He was mad because he knew they'd leave but he felt like he had no choice but to kill the lord and the war is slipping away from him.

Eidan

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56079832]He wasn't mad because he expected them to stay. He was mad because he knew they'd leave but he felt like he had no choice but to kill the lord and the war is slipping away from him.[/QUOTE]

Robb's dumb.

Kimaka

The biggest change is that in the book, Catelyn and Robb find out about the Stark boys in Winterfell which is why Catelyn frees Jaime. Out of grief, and because she thinks Arya and Sansa are all she has left. I think this is a reason that a lot of non-book readers seem to really dislike Catelyn and think she's made a series of stupid decisions. But even in the show, Littlefinger specifically tells her that if she gives up Jaime, she'll get her daughters back.

There's a lot of misplaced hate for this character. Granted, she wrongly imprisoned Tyrion which helped start the whole mess, but aside from that and her treatment of Jon Snow, I don't see the reason for the hate.

That doesn't seem like that big of a difference. I think the show did a good job of explaining Catelyn's actions and I don't think she deserves all the hate she gets. Freeing Jamie was stupid in any case but it was clear she was doing it to try to free her daughters.

A lot of people find her chapters tedious and her annoying. Mix that with how she treated Jon and some of her decisions and I think it's understandable.

edit: Plus she gave birth to Sansa.

Ithil

The Karstark execution had the same music as the Rodrik execution, yes? Obviously it was a deliberate, and good, parallel.

hoos30

ASOS
the whole point of the red wedding is that is comes out of nowhere

ASOS
The very first thing we learn about papa Frey is that he is petty, vindictive and untrustworthy. Robb allies with him against Cat's advice and promptly betrays him. The RW is shocking, but it definitely does not come out of nowhere.

Did anyone else feel like Jon Snow was a massive improvement this episode? He actually sounded pretty cool instead of having his usual dopey accent. Plus he stood up for himself and seemed to be intelligent and capable.

I hope we see more of this. The plot demands it.

Blatz

I think you may be referring to Season 1. In the book Ned doesn't want to accept the position of Hand of the King and Cat tells him he can't refuse it, basically. In the show, it's the opposite. It weakened her a little, I think. But it's kind-of moot now, like most of the changes are. The show is excellent regardless of how great the source material is.

BTW the scene about Cat regretting treating Jon Snow poorly is not in the books either. It was made up for the show and I loved it.

Ithil

Did anyone else feel like Jon Snow was a massive improvement this episode? He actually sounded pretty cool instead of having his usual dopey accent. Plus he stood up for himself and seemed to be intelligent and capable.

Yes, I liked that he wasn't just passive Jon Snow, mumbling away, but he actually threatened Orell and stood up for himself.

Blatz

Yes! I think they are course correcting Jon Snow and Arya both. Arya needs to be pissed, often. She needs to repeat her kill list every episode.

hoos30

And naked Ygritte was gross.

Naked Ygritte was perfectly suitable for a half starving wilding.

2013 Ygritte was gag-me-with-a-spoon nasty. GAF gets on famous women for having "sharp knees". Every joint in this chick's body could give you a life threatening laceration. Yuck!

RaidenZR

I know this is far off, but how do you think they'll handle [ASOS]
Ygritte's death? I just don't see the arrow happening off-screen.

They'll probably do something silly for TV like have Jon stab her by accident. Or Ghost maul her from out of nowhere.

They usually do a good job with Jon when they have him do something other than stand there, get yelled at, and look stupid (which is what they have him do about 95% of the time).

Series Spoilers
Hopefully Jon improves once they get back south of the Wall. I think shooting in Iceland really limited what they could do with his storyline. While it looked pretty, it wasn't worth it.

I was reading Sepinwall's review earlier this morning and he commented how Jon's been mainly a drag for the last season and a half or so (basically since season 2). And I don't think that would have been the case had they stuck closer to the books. Jon's been the most mishandled character in the show. Hopefully that changes though.

Jaime is killing it this season. Really surprised the actor is this good. He was already one of my favorite characters, but I'm liking him more and more. Even when he looks like a dirty hobo and has no hand.

so much more painful to watch robb's story unfold then it was to read.
reading i never got the sense that he was trully in trouble... but with the way they're filming and maybe because i already know what happens, you can just see everything coming undone. him losing control.

ASOS question
Was Petyr and the Tyrells in bed together for the murder of Joffrey? I always thought the queen of thornes and Petyr worked together. by the show so far, and i know this may change they seem to be at odds. just wanted a refresher on whether we know if they were allies in the books?

reading i never got the sense that he was trully in trouble... but with the way they're filming and maybe because i already know what happens, you can just see everything coming undone. him losing control.

There's a growing sense of throughout Storm of Swords. There's hope but it's not that Robb can win the war but that he can get back to the north and re-claim his home.

Actually, I kinda think they're doing a good job with that. The episode ended with some hope in the Freys/Casterly Rock plot; [ASOS]
depending on how they play it, the Red Wedding could be just as surprising/shocking if the show leads us to believe the Freys will help them win the war.

Jaime is killing it this season. Really surprised the actor is this good. He was already one of my favorite characters, but I'm liking him more and more. Even when he looks like a dirty hobo and has no hand.
I rewatched that scene 3 times. Watch his face and his eyes. He sells that scene so well.

I was reading Sepinwall's review earlier this morning and he commented how Jon's been mainly a drag for the last season and a half or so (basically since season 2). And I don't think that would have been the case had they stuck closer to the books. Jon's been the most mishandled character in the show. Hopefully that changes though.

Yup. They mangled everything with Jon since he hooked up with Halfhand and his men. That should have been a great, suspense filled part of his story with him learning how to be a leader from Qhorin. And I kind of wish they would have given him a little more screen time this year, interacting with Mance and Tormund and Ygritte.

I guess some of that just comes down to how they've botched characters like Tormund too. I know they're seemingly blending Tormund with Styr but in that case I wish they did something like Orell or Locke and just named him something else if they're not going to try and capture the same personality as the book character.

Actually, I kinda think they're doing a good job with that. The episode ended with some hope in the Freys/Casterly Rock plot; [ASOS]
depending on how they play it, the Red Wedding could be just as surprising/shocking if the show leads us to believe the Freys will help them win the war.

One thing I really like about this episode was Robb going for Casterly Rock. [Major Series spoilers]
In the books, you have plenty of foreshadowing that bad shit is going to happen with the Freys and there is a definite sense of impending doom with Edmure's wedding but at the same time I had the sense that maybe that was all a red herring. Maybe the meeting with Frey would go off without a hitch.

The books kind of do a decent job with that by having Robb focused on rallying his forces to attack Moat Cailan after the wedding and I'm guessing the show will try to hype up Robb rallying his forces to attack Casterly Rock after the wedding and all of the planning associated with that. And then especially once they get into the Twins and get past the guest right. You kind of think that maybe this was just a big excuse to create some tension. But then of course it goes to hell.

I kind of hope the previews for episode 9 even play up the whole Casterly Rock attack side of things. Make it out to be a total red herring, trying to make it seem like we've got a Blackwater-esque battle at Casterly Rock coming up. Really make it seem like despite all of the shit Robb has been through recently, that maybe things are looking up and he has some epic vengeance against the Lannisters coming, with Robb rallying the Freys and Boltons against Casterly Rock. And then dump the RW on people. Got to build up some genuine hope for Robb and company before gutting them. Especially with the week off before episode 9, I hope HBO doesn't spoil things for themselves.

Burli

Pringo
Brilliant episode, the acting sold it, such a great cast, Jaime's scene was especially well delivered. It really helps episodes when the unnecessary or badly acted characters aren't involved, like Shae (badly acted) and that ex-prostitute who's name I've forgotten (unnecessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom