• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burli

Pringo
One thing I really like about this episode was Robb going for Casterly Rock. [Major Series Spoilers]

Is it confirmed
that the red wedding is going down in episode nine? Did the episodes title give it away? I was hoping it would happen sooner based on Robb showing his intent already. I cannot WAIT for that episode, seriously my most anticipated moment of any entertainment right now.

Is it confirmed
that the red wedding is going down in episode nine? Did the episodes title give it away? I was hoping it would happen sooner based on Robb showing his intent already. I cannot WAIT for that episode, seriously my most anticipated moment of any entertainment right now.

Pretty sure it's confirmed, but for whatever is worth, the episode is called "The Rains of Castamere"

Ushae

Banned
SIAP...
tumblr_mly7z210X71qe6mdpo1_250.gif

tumblr_mly7z210X71qe6mdpo2_250.gif

tumblr_mly7z210X71qe6mdpo3_250.gif

tumblr_mly7z210X71qe6mdpo4_250.gif

Ha! Where's this from?

Munin

What the hell is it with the skinny girl hate, people get all up in arms if you call a girl "chunky" (lulz) but apparently it's OK to show the same attitude towards skinny girls

Anyway, sorry, didn't want to turn this into a dumb debate, but I like Ygritte the way she is

What the hell is it with the skinny girl hate, people get all up in arms if you call a girl "chunky" (lulz) but apparently it's OK to show the same attitude towards skinny girls

Anyway, sorry, didn't want to turn this into a dumb debate, but I like Ygritte the way she is

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous. The bodies on this show are fine, they don't "need" to change anything.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
3pgfmb.jpg

Appropriate for non book readers

I said this to a coworker who only watches the show, but worded it a bit differently than this by saying "You'll find yourself liking Jaime by the end of book 3's two seasons." His reaction was "No way, that's crazy. I could never find myself liking Jaime".

Man

In the book Jaime felt slight arousal when seeing Brienne in the bath (and immediately thinking to himself that he had been imprisoned for too long). I believe NCW was trying to convey that a bit when she was standing up.

In the book Jaime felt slight arousal when seeing Brienne in the bath (and immediately thinking to himself that he had been imprisoned for too long). I believe NCW was trying to convey that a bit when she was standing up.

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more of that weird sexual tension (pretty sure Brienne thinks about him sexually, too) in that scene, but it was outstanding, regardless.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Two naked people of realitvely the same age in a tub. It's bound to pop into both of their heads.

The tension seems more apparent when Brienne (who's supposed to be like super ugly and missing a bunch of teeth) is being played by Gwendoline Christie.

Trojita

It was the heat! It was getting to his head!

Wasn't that his response in the book?

I think Nicolas Coster Waldau, Alfie Allen, and Jack Gleeson have shown themselves to be better actors in GoT than fan favorite Peter Dinklage. I like Tyrion and Peter Dinklage a lot, but his acting is leaving a lot to be desired. Either this is the fault of the writers, his supporting cast in his scenes (Shae), or his limit as an acter. It does not seem like he is very good as a dramatic actor which makes any scene in where he is supposed to do that fall flat.

Alfie Allen's acting as Theon in the Second Season was the best acting in that season.

Nicolas Coster Waldau, now that he is getting even more scenes as Jaime, is putting himself forward as one of the best actors on the show.

Jack Gleeson I don't think will ever got proper props for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon. He plays his part so well and people absolutely hate Joffrey, that I think their hate for him gets in the way of any praise for Jack's portrayal of the character.

Raist

Banned
The thing about Jamie is that one can't really be sure if he's now being "nice" because he's actually a good chap, and if it's just because he's in a really shit situation. Given how he acted when he wasn't in trouble, I'd say the latter.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Jack Gleeson I don't think will ever got proper props for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon. He plays his part so well and people absolutely hate Joffrey, that I think their hate for him gets in the way of any praise for Jack's portrayal of the character.

Honestly. He is AMAZING in this role, he nails it in every single scene. So Jack, if you're by any chance a guy who plays games and browses GAF: Mad props to you!

-griffy-

Banned
The thing about Jamie is that one can't really be sure if he's now being "nice" because he's actually a good chap, and if it's just because he's in a really shit situation. Given how he acted when he wasn't in trouble, I'd say the latter.

I don't think that's fair. There's been a good bit of humbling going on with Jaime. He's seeing the world for how it truly is, and that's affecting him. So the shit situation has a lot to do with it, but he was an ass before more out of ignorance than malice. He has been entitled his whole life and never really knew or cared how "the other side" lived.

And there's that whole being called the Kingslayer in an unfairly negative light by everyone in the realm for years. In many ways he's only living up to the image that everyone already painted of him. These last few episodes we've gotten a glimpse of who Jaime has the capacity to be underneath, in how he saved Brienne by making up a story about the Sapphire Isle and in learning of the true nature of his betrayal of the Mad King.

BOOK SPOILERS:
And going forward, when he gets to King's Landing it's pretty clear that he is a different man than he was before.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Captain Beard is so awesome.

Trasher

Brienne has a better body than Ygritte.

Ygritte needs to eat some Twinkies.

I hope people who are referring to her backside when she stands up do realize that that is most likely a body double and not actually the real actress who plays Brienne.

Also, Ygritte looked exactly like how I'd imagine a starving wildling to look. She still looked good too!

Trojita

The worst things Jaime has done that we know of are

Spoilers for all books. I'll put them all under spoilers as not to spoil anything for book readers.

1. Pushing Bran out the window

2. Screwing with Ned and having his friends killed

3. The Tyrion and Tysha situation

- - - - -

1. This was fucked up, crippled Bran, and could have killed him. Jaime did it at the spurt of the moment. Even Cersei was asking why he did it. Of course he might have been thinking that if the king found out both of them would have probably been killed along with their children.

2. This was still fucked up and probably the result of the animosity for Ned from the end of Robert's Rebellions. This was also Jaime when he thought he could do whatever he wanted. He was also a guy that probably did right at one point in the past and has been vilified for it by everyone in the Kingdom. He kind of just rolled with the Kingslayer thing.

3. Him lying to Tyrion that Tysha was a whore he hired. He had felt bad about it all this time and tries to make amends at the end of ASOS to Tyrion.

As far as killing the Mad King goes, we find out later that Jaime probably saved most of King's Landing by killing the king and the pyromancers.

devilhawk

so much more painful to watch robb's story unfold then it was to read.
reading i never got the sense that he was trully in trouble... but with the way they're filming and maybe because i already know what happens, you can just see everything coming undone. him losing control.

ASOS question
Was Petyr and the Tyrells in bed together for the murder of Joffrey? I always thought the queen of thornes and Petyr worked together. by the show so far, and i know this may change they seem to be at odds. just wanted a refresher on whether we know if they were allies in the books?
ASoS
we assume they were in on it together. Taking the plot at face value was LF and the QoT worked together to put the Strangler in his wine. The fact that Joffrey ate some of Tyrion's pie may not be relevant. Who actually put it in the cup is up in the air. Maybe the Tyrell's involvement is too. Maybe it was in the pie and meant for Tyrion. LF is the only sure thing, many other results would have benefited him and Sansa as well.

Burli

Pringo

To be fair she's stuck above the wall in freezing conditions so the fact she looks under-fed is pretty accurate to the situation of her character.

Gvaz

Banned
Naked Ygritte was perfectly suitable for a half starving wilding.

2013 Ygritte was gag-me-with-a-spoon nasty. GAF gets on famous women for having "sharp knees". Every joint in this chick's body could give you a life threatening laceration. Yuck!

What the fuck is this shit?

I said this to a coworker who only watches the show, but worded it a bit differently than this by saying "You'll find yourself liking Jaime by the end of book 3's two seasons." His reaction was "No way, that's crazy. I could never find myself liking Jaime".

ASOS
One of my favorite parts in ASOS is Jaime's final chapter where he's writing his entry into the Kingsguard book. He reflects on the writings of the past commanders which detailed their heroic exploits. And then he just writes about how he got his ass kicked and how he was humbled.

Kimaka

I hope people who are referring to her backside when she stands up do realize that that is most likely a body double and not actually the real actress who plays Brienne.

It's probably her. She did participate in a nude photoshoot so she probably doesn't have a problem with only showing her butt on television.

Munin

Also, Ygritte looked exactly like how I'd imagine a starving wildling to look. She still looked good too!

Gwendoline Christie showed herself completely naked in some art project so I don't think she'd bother with a double now...

Edit: Beaten

Trasher

It's probably her. She did participate in a nude photoshoot so she probably doesn't have a problem with only showing her butt on television.

Gwendoline Christie showed herself completely naked in some art project so I don't think she'd bother with a double now...

Edit: Beaten

You can see the head of her from the back at one point, and it didn't look like Gwendoline at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like a different actress from that one angle.

Ark

You can see the head of her from the back at one point, and it didn't look like Gwendoline at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like a different actress from that one angle.

Just rewatched that scene, doesn't look like it's a body double to me.

But I could be wrong I guess.

Trasher

Just rewatched that scene, doesn't look like it's a body double to me.

But I could be wrong I guess.

Haha it's a fantastic body double if it is! I just thought if she was going to be nude in the show then we would have seen her breasts in that scene. Why we didn't is why I thought that the backside shot is of a body double.

And just because she was in a nude photo shoot back in 1998 doesn't necessarily mean she would be all for shooting nude scenes 15 years later.

This is a pretty dumb thing to argue about haha, but my main point was to not jump the gun on saying whether that backside was actually hers!

TCRS

Banned
NEEEEEED!! :((((

omg what an episode! I'm loving season three! The last three episodes have been absolutely fantastic. Brilliant pace, brilliant story telling, none of the ills of the first two episodes (or in fact the whole second season).

Oh god I hope it keeps going like that. Action, suspense, sadness, melancholy, it's all there. I'm feeling the atmosphere of the books for the first time since season 1.

So many good scenes: Jaime telling his side of the story, Robb executing Karstark and the unraveling of his army, Arya that poor girl, the discussion between Barristan and Jorah, and the last scene with Cersei, Tywin and Tyrion.

I think I'm going to watch it again tonight.

Raist

Banned
The worst things Jaime has done that we know of are

Spoilers for all books. I'll put them all under spoilers as not to spoil anything for book readers.

1. Pushing Bran out the window

2. Screwing with Ned and having his friends killed

3. The Tyrion and Tysha situation

- - - - -

1. This was fucked up, crippled Bran, and could have killed him. Jaime did it at the spurt of the moment. Even Cersei was asking why he did it. Of course he might have been thinking that if the king found out both of them would have probably been killed along with their children.

2. This was still fucked up and probably the result of the animosity for Ned from the end of Robert's Rebellions. This was also Jaime when he thought he could do whatever he wanted. He was also a guy that probably did right at one point in the past and has been vilified for it by everyone in the Kingdom. He kind of just rolled with the Kingslayer thing.

3. Him lying to Tyrion that Tysha was a whore he hired. He had felt bad about it all this time and tries to make amends at the end of ASOS to Tyrion.

As far as killing the Mad King goes, we find out later that Jaime probably saved most of King's Landing by killing the king and the pyromancers.

Don't have a problem with the Mad King's killing. But the rest is fucked up, and you forgot that he also knows full well that his illegitimate batshit insane son is sitting on the throne.

Regarding the first point, specifically this:
Even Cersei was asking why he did it.

She asks him why he sent an assassin to get rid of Bran, not why he pushed him out the window in the first place. IIRC it's different in the book, Joffrey did it, and Jamie suspects it, but it's never really clear.

So yeah, essentially Jamie loyalty is him first, then family. Doesn't give a shit about the rest, including honour in general.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Don't have a problem with the Mad King's killing. But the rest is fucked up, and you forgot that he also knows full well that his illegitimate batshit insane son is sitting on the throne.

She asks him why he sent an assassin to get rid of Bran, not why he pushed him out the window in the first place. IIRC it's different in the book, Cersei did it, and Jamie suspects it, but it's never really clear.

So yeah, essentially Jamie loyalty is him first, then family. Doesn't give a shit about the rest, including honour in general.

SERIES
If you're talking about Cersei sending the assassin, no. Joffrey did.

Trojita

She asks him why he sent an assassin to get rid of Bran, not why he pushed him out the window in the first place. IIRC it's different in the book, Cersei did it, and Jamie suspects it, but it's never really clear.

Series spoilers:
You have that mixed up. What I said was right. They never sent the assassin's. It is suspected last that Joffrey did it.

TCRS

Banned
also: Jaime is sexy as fuck. Some people have got it all. And I forgot to mention the fight in the beginning and of course Jon Snow and Ygritte with hairs kissed by fire. Stannis' daughter :( Everything was brilliant.

Raist

Banned
SERIES
If you're talking about Cersei sending the assassin, no. Joffrey did.

Huh.
Not quite sure why I wrote Cersei instead of Joffrey >.> I guess I need a coffee or something.

Series spoilers:
You have that mixed up. What I said was right. They never sent the assassin's. It is suspected last that Joffrey did it.

In the books, yes. But in the show, shortly after the assassin is killed, Cersei asks Jamie if he's mad, why the fuck he did that. Jamie doesn't deny it at all. So unless they retcon it later or say that Jamie knew it was Joffrey back then already and tried to cover it, that's rather different than in the books

Trojita

Oh this episode had Jaime explain why he killed the king?

Series Spoilers:
Maybe I didn't have to spoiler mark all of that then, though the other reason I spoiler marked it was so people wouldn't ask me why I didn't put Jaime and Cersei sending the assassin to kill Bran after he woke up or them being conspirators in Jon Arryn's death.

hoos30

To be fair she's stuck above the wall in freezing conditions so the fact she looks under-fed is pretty accurate to the situation of her character.

I don't think anyone is saying that she didn't look appropriate for the scene...she looks perfect in the show. But don't come in here saying her body actually looks GOOD; she looks like she hasn't eaten for two weeks.

Eidan

When are they going to show Tommen again? The kid is pretty important going forward and I would bet 99% of show viewers don't even remember who he is.

Series
I don't think it would be tough reintroducing him. The kid has been shown and mentioned enough where I don't think people will forget that Cersei has another son.

As I've said before, I'm much more interested in Kevan's return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom