• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
His mistakes have less to do with his youth and more to do with a thick headed pursuit of "honor", much like his daddy.
this right here. never read the books but just going by the show, the only stark to realize how the world operates is ayra . Ned and robb just set themselves up for failure in really naive and stupid ways.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Huh.
Not quite sure why I wrote Cersei instead of Joffrey >.> I guess I need a coffee or something.

In the books, yes. But in the show, shortly after the assassin is killed, Cersei asks Jamie if he's mad, why the fuck he did that. Jamie doesn't deny it at all. So unless they retcon it later or say that Jamie knew it was Joffrey back then already and tried to cover it, that's rather different than in the books

If they somehow ran with that it would be fucked. I haven't watched that part in awhile, can anyone check that this is for sure?

They already fucked up by having Jaime kill his "cousin".

Trojita

Series
I don't think it would be tough reintroducing him. The kid has been shown and mentioned enough where I don't think people will forget that Cersei has another son.

As I've said before, I'm much more interested in Kevan's return.

A guy at work forgot she even had children other than Joffrey lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is one thing I was sad to see cut from Jaime's speech: [not really a spoiler but a book quote so yeah]
when he quotes Aerys saying something like, "Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be king of ashes."
I thought that was a great line.

-The only complaint would be nearly all the Kings Landing's scenes back to back at the end of the episode, but the final scene was incredible. ASOS
The Loras marriage plot hasn't quite played out like I assumed. I guessed that Tywin would force Loras going the Kingsguard would prevent the Loras/Sansa marriage, but it appears he still wants Loras in the picture to marry Cersei. Book reminder: who did Tywin want Cersei to marry in the book?

It's very late, content roundup with review, recaps, interviews, and previews tomorrow.
Regarding Cersei, [book stuff but not really spoilers]
Tywin tells Cersei it's time she re-marries again. Cersei refuses, but Tywin insists, saying she's still young and fertile and it would put the rumours to rest if she birthed more heirs (which of course makes Cersei furious about being a "brood mare"). He suggests a bunch of names, old men with ailing wives at first, then younger men such as Theon Greyjoy (lol), Quentyn Martell, and Willas. Tyrion pipes in, "That would be the cripple.", enjoying her dismay, haha. He says Willas is his chocie but he would "let her choose another" if she can give him a good reason. She doesn't care for that at all, haha. Can't blame her, but it's Cersei, so we feel like laughing at her then. But yeah, since Willas is cut from the show, and namedropping the other dudes wouldn't have served much purpose at this point, it makes sense he'd go immediately with Loras.

I don't think you know what a simp is.
I know I don't. The fuck is a simp? :S

I love it. That irrational Cat hate.
Seriously. I'm gonna go on a limb here and say there's some possible latent sexism going on.

Regarding the first point, specifically this:
Even Cersei was asking why he did it.

She asks him why he sent an assassin to get rid of Bran, not why he pushed him out the window in the first place. IIRC it's different in the book, Cersei did it, and Jamie suspects it, but it's never really clear.

So yeah, essentially Jamie loyalty is him first, then family. Doesn't give a shit about the rest, including honour in general.

Nope.
She asks why he pushed Bran, saying they could have frightened him into silence. Neither of them sent the assassin nor do they know who did (it's Joffrey).

Also, you're wrong about Jaime, you need to read AFFC or something...

In the books, yes. But in the show, shortly after the assassin is killed, Cersei asks Jamie if he's mad, why the fuck he did that. Jamie doesn't deny it at all. So unless they retcon it later or say that Jamie knew it was Joffrey back then already and tried to cover it, that's rather different than in the books

Are you sure she didn't mean
the part about pushing him out the window?
That was a while ago so I don't remember any of the context.

FStop7

Banned
Eh, still not worried. There will always been a special contingent of viewers who will forget most details.

I can see things getting overwhelmingly confusing for non-book people once ASOS/AFFC
we meet the Martells. That's a lot of houses to keep track of. Even as a book reader I often had to pause my reading and look up who certain people were once we started jumping to Dorne. So many Martells, so many nicknames. Darkstar. Sand Snakes. Red Viper.

Eidan

I can see things getting overwhelmingly confusing for non-book people once ASOS/AFFC
we meet the Martells. That's a lot of houses to keep track of. Even as a book reader I often had to pause my reading and look up who certain people were once we started jumping to Dorne. So many Martells, so many nicknames. Darkstar. Sand Snakes. Red Viper.

Oh I agree. A lot of it can't be helped though.

ASOS
I also expect people to forget who Janos Slynt was.

Raist

Banned
If they somehow ran with that it would be fucked. I haven't watched that part in awhile, can anyone check that this is for sure?

They already fucked up by having Jaime kill his "cousin".

Maybe it's unfortunate timing in the end, but the way it happens in the show kind of implies that Jamie did it:

E1: Jaime pushes Bran out the window.
E2: They stay in Winterfell for a little while still. Days go by, eventually some dude tries to kill Bran once everyone left.
E3: They reach KL (which supposedly takes weeks). Cat suspects the Lannisters to be behind the assassination attempt. More or less everyone by then has heard about it. It's only then that we see Jamie visit Cersei and she's like "Are you mad or something?"

So overall, it seems a bit weird to have this conversation take place weeks after he pushed him, and right after news of the assassination attempt reached KL. I dunno.

Eidan

Maybe it's unfortunate timing in the end, but the way it happens in the show kind of implies that Jamie did it:

E2: They stay in Winterfell for a little while still. Days go by, eventually some dude tries to kill Bran once everyone left.
E3: They reach KL (which supposedly takes weeks). Cat suspects the Lannisters to be behind the assassination attempt. More or less everyone by then has heard about it. It's only then that we see Jamie visit Cersei and she's like "Are you mad or something?"

So overall, it seems a bit weird to have this conversation take place weeks after he pushed him, and right after news of the assassination attempt reached KL. I dunno.

Here's the scene in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLwOeYDRpY0

Seemed to me that they were discussing Jaime pushing Bran out of the window, because word got out that Bran was awake.

Raist

Banned
Here's the scene in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLwOeYDRpY0

Seemed to me that they were discussing Jaime pushing Bran out of the window, because word got out that Bran was awake.

Yeah and word got out that someone tried to stab him while he was in a coma too, by then. So I dunno, the fact that this scene happens only at that point, and not in the weeks prior to that was kind of odd. As I said, maybe it was just poor editing.

You can see the head of her from the back at one point, and it didn't look like Gwendoline at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like a different actress from that one angle.

Seeing the back of her head is what sold me on it being her.

If there were stand-ins, wouldn't they be in the credits?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh I agree. A lot of it can't be helped though.

ASOS
I also expect people to forget who Janos Slynt was.

I was just thinking about him. I wonder if we'll see [S4/ASoS]
Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne again soon. It's a good while for an actor to do nothing, but they're kinda important to Jon's story once he gets back on the wall and gets elected Lord Commander.

Then again, have we seen Asha Yara at all this season? Will we? I'm guessing her AFFC story with her nuncles will be in S4 more than S5, to keep the actress around, but who knows...

Trojita

I was just thinking about him. I wonder if we'll see [S4/ASoS]
Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne again soon. It's a good while for an actor to do nothing, but they're kinda important to Jon's story once he gets back on the wall and gets elected Lord Commander.

Then again, have we seen Asha Yara at all this season? Will we? I'm guessing her AFFC story with her nuncles will be in S4 more than S5, to keep the actress around, but who knows...

"Yara" was in the trailers for Season 3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Yara" was in the trailers for Season 3.
Interesting. I wonder if [ASoS/ADWD]
she'll be around when Balon Greyjoy eats it, or something. I hope they show a Faceless Man doing the deed.

I wonder if we'll hear about the Ironborn taking Moat Cailing later. Or before that, Robb writing a letter about his mysterious heir and sending the carrier of that letter to Greywater Watch. Argh, no Dacey Mormont. #NOONEUNDERSTANDS lol

Trojita

she'll be around when Balon Greyjoy eats it, or something. I hope they show a Faceless Man doing the deed.

I wonder if we'll hear about the Ironborn taking Moat Cailing later. Or before that, Robb writing a letter about his mysterious heir and sending the carrier of that letter to Greywater Watch. Argh, no Dacey Mormont. #NOONEUNDERSTANDS lol

The trailer showed Yara walking down a line of her crewman looking serious. Maybe she tries to go get Theon. AFFC:
The Kingsmoot isn't till AFFC so it can't be that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[AFFC]
Yeah I know it can't be the Kingsmoot, they haven't even cast her uncles yet. I just wonder what she'd be up to at this point in the story. Maybe we'll see her attempt to rescue Theon, but obviously that won't go very far.

Yonafunu

Well, ASOS/AFFC
Balon should die any minute at this point. No way we'll see him die though. Since Tara is in this season though, I think they'll move up the kingsmoot.

Dysun

^
I would imagine it's either Balon's funeral or a shot of her receiving the news. I dont think we will see him die

Yara is going to be used as
a hallucination by Theon. He'll look up and see Yara, and try talking to her.

... and then his vision will clear and it will be Ramsay in a wig, his voice in falsetto.

pulga

Banned
Yara is going to be used as
a hallucination by Theon. He'll look up and see Yara, and try talking to her.

... and then his vision will clear and it will be Ramsay in a wig, his voice in falsetto.

The misfits actor they got for the part looks to be fantastically sadistic, going by the latest preview <3

Great episode. Jaime & Brienne bath scene was excellent. Dondarrion vs Hound fight most spectacular duel so far.
Nope.

In the books Robb used a pole axe and took 3 swings to do the job.

You are probably thinking of the later scene where
Jon executes Janos Slynt
It killed Lord Karstark on the first strike. I always thought the contrast was very nice.

Trasher

Anyone else feel like they finally nailed a fight scene (Beric/Hound)?

All of the previous duels have felt a bit lacking in certain aspects: Ned/Jaime, Hound/Mountain, Jon/Halfhand, and Jaime/Brienne. Season 1 stuff can be forgivable, but I was really hoping everything from season 2 and forward would have been top notch.

Hopefully [ASoS/Season 4]
Mountain/Viper will be even better than this last one.

Dysun

Anyone else feel like they finally nailed a fight scene (Beric/Hound)?

All of the previous duels have felt a bit lacking in certain aspects: Ned/Jaime, Hound/Mountain, Jon/Halfhand, and Jaime/Brienne. Season 1 stuff can be forgivable, but I was really hoping everything from season 2 and forward would have been top notch.

Hopefully [ASoS/Season 4]
Mountain/Viper will be even better than this last one.
Feels like everything is better this year, fight choreography, wigs, costumes, sets, directing, but the focus is too great to fill one hour neatly. My sole gripe, but watching them back to back might alleviate it

They have to get [ASoS]
Conan Stevens back as Gregor for that fight. Or bulk up the guy they had last year. I don't want to see the Beanpole That Rides versus the Viper.

I really wish he would come back for an episode too, but if not keep that visor down and pad him to the gills in armor lol

Trasher

They have to get [ASoS]
Conan Stevens back as Gregor for that fight. Or bulk up the guy they had last year. I don't want to see the Beanpole That Rides versus the Viper.

Will we even see the Mountain in this season? I don't think he was in any of the events that this first season covers, but that doesn't mean they could sprinkle him in somewhere. Yeah...I wonder if they will find someone else again for the role. From the sounds of what people in this thread have said about that first actor, it doesn't seem like he will return. :( They really need to nail the Mountain/Viper scene though... They better do what is necessary to achieve that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
From the non-reader thread:

Cersei is more likely to literally stab her father in the back. Tyrion would likely flee before physical confrontation with him.

[ASoS]
lol. That thread is so much better when they're left to speculate like that. Haha

Meier

I don't think anyone is saying that she didn't look appropriate for the scene...she looks perfect in the show. But don't come in here saying her body actually looks GOOD; she looks like she hasn't eaten for two weeks.

I don't agree with you in the slightest bit. She looked amazing.

Eidan

lol, from the non-reader thread:

[ASoS]
That thread is so much better when they're left to speculate like that. Haha

It's a strange assumption to come to whether you've read the books or not. Why would you think Tyrion would flee from a physical confrontation when we've seen him enter not one, but three battles in the series so far.

Mission

Wait a second...
in the books it suggests that Joffrey issued the assassination? I don't recall it that way. He wasn't even King yet was he? He had no motive for killing Bran, unlike Cersei and Jaime.

Trasher

Wait a second...
in the books it suggests that Joffrey issued the assassination? I don't recall it that way. He wasn't even King yet was he? He had no motive for killing Bran, unlike Cersei and Jaime.

Might want to spoiler that, but yes that's what the book spells out. I always thought it was a sloppy explanation by GRRM. It's like he forgot about it, and then remembered it when he was writing the third book.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Check two posts above you!
Also, it's best to strip the username and post ID# from the quote, cause apparently there's a feature of "who quoted you" that they could see in their control panel.

Wait a second... in the books
it suggests that Joffrey issued the assassination? I don't recall it that way. He wasn't even King yet was he? He had no motive for killing Bran, unlike Cersei and Jaime.
[series]
It is Joffrey, Tyrion thinks at lengths about this. Remember that Joffrey, while Robert wasn't his bio-dad, was very much influenced by him. Robert offhandedly remarked that Bran was better off dead and it'd be more merciful to end his misery. The shiny expensive dagger also belonged to Robert's stash, which Joffrey would have had access to. Tyrion guesses that after Joffrey brags about being "no stranger to Valyrian steel", and he mentions the dragonbone hilt dagger and Joffrey gets all flustered.

It's a strange assumption to come to whether you've read the books or not. Why would you think Tyrion would flee from a physical confrontation when we've seen him enter not one, but three battles in the series so far.

Some of the posters in that thread...I really wonder how the hell they come to the conclusions they do. It's pretty mind-boggling some times.

Trojita

Yeah Mission Spoiler Tag that

ASOS:
It is thought by Jaime and Cersei that Joffrey, being jealous of Bran being doted on by his "father" Robert Baratheon, left the blade and instructions for the would be assassin.

Trasher

Also, it's best to strip the username and post ID# from the quote, cause apparently there's a feature of "who quoted you" that they could see in their control panel.

[series]
It is Joffrey, Tyrion thinks at lengths about this. Remember that Joffrey, while Robert wasn't his bio-dad, was very much influenced by him. Robert offhandedly remarked that Bran was better off dead and it'd be more merciful to end his misery. The shiny expensive dagger also belonged to Robert's stash, which Joffrey would have had access to. Tyrion guesses that after Joffrey brags about being "no stranger to Valyrian steel", and he mentions the dragonbone hilt dagger and Joffrey gets all flustered.

I think the book also explains at some point how Robert didn't care for daggers and that he preferred his warhammers etc. So he gave Joffrey those daggers and whatnot, and, like you said, gave Joffrey access to those things. Correct me if I'm wrong here. It's been a while. =/

ultron87

from the non-reader thread:

[ASoS]
That thread is so much better when they're left to speculate like that. Haha

[ASOS]
You should spoiler tag posts like this even in this thread or just go to the no tag book thread. The mere act of you saying "lol" with that quote makes it seem like the statement is comically incorrect which suggests Tyrion will confront his father.

ASOS
RW is gonna be brutal enough without watching Dacey take the fucking axe to the stomach. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom