• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Another excellent episode. S3 is wiping the floor handily with S1 and S2 so far. The Jaime/Brienne bath scene in particular was fantastic. Also really loved the Jorah/Selmy scene and the final scene with the Lannisters.

Crisco

Banned
Fucking amen. I pay for HBO, if every stealing asshole paid what I pay we could have 13 episode seasons with dragons all over the place. Instead we get 10 episode seasons with dragons spending time in canvas covered wicker boxes. Real shit costs, fuck off.

If every stealing asshole payed what you paid then we'd still get 10 episodes of dragons in boxes. Get off your sanctimonious high horse and stop pretending that studio execs give two shits about what fans want. Not everyone can or wants to pay $90/mo for TV and it's HBOs own damn fault they don't provide any other option for viewing their content.

Fey

Banned
Loras's squire/squeeze, Olyvar? Will Tudor.

My Google-fu is strong.

iTCCLZr4O38xT.gif

btw, one thing said in the no books thread made me think. asos/ffc/dwd
is it ever actually explained why they wouldn't be able to resurrect ned? I mean, it's not 100% confirmed yet, but isn't the theory right now that Cersei's champion in her trial by combat is the Mountain's headless body resurrected? and also, Cersei was never promised to wed Loras (or even Willas) in the books, was she? Is Loras already in the Knightsguard in the show, or is him joining the Guard possibly going to be how they avoid having the two marry?

Hazmat

If every stealing asshole payed what you paid then we'd still get 10 episodes of dragons in boxes. Get off your sanctimonious high horse and stop pretending that studio execs give two shits about what fans want. Not everyone can or wants to pay $90/mo for TV and it's HBOs own damn fault they don't provide any other option for viewing their content.

Well, obviously if fucking everyone stole this show and HBO saw zero revenue from it they would still spend $100 million on it a season. If you can't fucking pay for it, then I'm real sorry, but Game of Thrones isn't a right. Neither is Bioshock Infinite. And you get motherfucking banned on the gaming side for talking about stealing that.

Speevy

Banned
Daenaerys is much less annoying this season. I think the showrunners had a talk with Emilia Clark, asking her to become less annoying.

Solo

Daenaerys is much less annoying this season. I think the showrunners had a talk with Emilia Clark, asking her to become less annoying.

Well, she actually has stuff to do this season. She was good in S1 and now really good in S3, which are the two seasons in which her character has had progression. She was bad in S2, but then her arc went nowheres.

tl;dr I blame Dany's S2 non-arc more than Clarke. She's quite good when she has good material.

Trasher

Well, she actually has stuff to do this season. She was good in S1 and now really good in S3, which are the two seasons in which her character has had progression. She was bad in S2, but then her arc went nowheres.

tl;dr I blame Dany's S2 non-arc more than Clarke. She's quite good when she has good material.

She's definitely got the material...if you know what I mean.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Im a huge fan of the entire book 4
Dorne
storyline and how it weaves into the main arch, im very interested in how they will juggle all the new characters/factions that need to be introduced past season 3. Im also hoping they have a good representation of
The Citadel
. Something i really think that the series needs to communicate more is the vastness of westeros and all its bigger cities, so i think a proper representation of those two really could pull that off.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pretty sure your question about Loras (asos)
does not occur until after Tommen is king
but i may be wrong??
You're wrong,
he joined the KG at the end of ACoK in order to protect his sister since she became engaged to Joffrey.

MysticX

finally watched the last episode, awesome stuff and makes me wonder about a thing or 2

will the karstarks return when they learn that robb tends to attack casterly rock?

wtf is with stannis´s daughter? is she a dragon? caus at first, I thought it was burn marks, but then it almost looked like scales

and holy shit! the kingslayer is a hero after all, or is he?

finally, some boobs, neogaf rejoice!

and that sex scene with snow/ingrid makes me wanna go to that cave and bring my wife with me, wonder if it´s on Þingvellir or somewhere else

this lord of light stuff is starting to confuse me, at first I thought it was only melissandre when she arrived on the comet (didn´t she?) but now the brotherhood also affiliates with the lord of light?

does that make 3 super powers at work? Wight walkers, Dragons and the Lord of Light?!?

Crisco

Banned
Well, obviously if fucking everyone stole this show and HBO saw zero revenue from it they would still spend $100 million on it a season. If you can't fucking pay for it, then I'm real sorry, but Game of Thrones isn't a right. Neither is Bioshock Infinite. And you get motherfucking banned on the gaming side for talking about stealing that.

Look, HBO has like a 100 million global subscribers. The million or so non-subscribers who watch Game of Thrones every week wouldn't make a dent on their bottom line. Certainly not enough to up the budget of the show in any tangible way, especially since most of them would cancel after the show ended. Certainly, piracy is wrong, but drop the zeal. It's ridiculous and totally devoid of common sense.

MysticX

nah, I don´t think that´s the problem, I think the thing is she didn´t have any real story in season 2 but she´s awesome in this one!

Hazmat

Look, HBO has like a 100 million global subscribers. The million or so non-subscribers who watch Game of Thrones every week wouldn't make a dent on their bottom line. Certainly not enough to up the budget of the show in any tangible way, especially since most of them would cancel after the show ended. Certainly, piracy is wrong, but drop the zeal. It' ridiculous and totally devoid of common sense.

Listen here, ladies and gentlemen! Feel free to steal all content from HBO! They will not at all feel the loss of revenue! It's ok! It's legal! And it is fully in line with GAF's TOS!

Trasher

finally watched the last episode, awesome stuff and makes me wonder about a thing or 2

will the karstarks return when they learn that robb tends to attack casterly rock?

wtf is with stannis´s daughter? is she a dragon? caus at first, I thought it was burn marks, but then it almost looked like scales

and that sex scene with snow/ingrid makes me wanna go to that cave and bring my wife with me, wonder if it´s on Þingvellir or somewhere else

this lord of light stuff is starting to confuse me, at first I thought it was only melissandre when she arrived on the comet (didn´t she?) but now the brotherhood also affiliates with the lord of light?

does that make 3 super powers at work? Wight walkers, Dragons and the Lord of Light?!?

I will never go into a cave pool ever again.

hoos30

Fucking amen. I pay for HBO, if every stealing asshole paid what I pay we could have 13 episode seasons with dragons all over the place. Instead we get 10 episode seasons with dragons spending time in canvas covered wicker boxes. Real shit costs, fuck off.

....and let the church say, "Amen!!!"

Pay for quality.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seems to me it would be impossible to find peace in a cave with a hot spring while traveling with a large group of cold men.

Subitai

Like I said earlier in this thread,
he'll most likely join the KG on the show to avoid marrying Cercei.
Yup. A nice way to keep everything in line and move things forward faster to set up Cersei and her poor decision making.

Again, the episode ending the Cersei chaffing under her father really was a nice touch on a lot of levels.

hoos30

Im a huge fan of the entire book 4
Dorne
storyline and how it weaves into the main arch, im very interested in how they will juggle all the new characters/factions that need to be introduced past season 3. Im also hoping they have a good representation of
The Citadel
. Something i really think that the series needs to communicate more is the vastness of westeros and all its bigger cities, so i think a proper representation of those two really could pull that off.

Good luck, they have a herculean task ahead of them. Has any show ever tried to introduce that many new characters at the midpoint of a series??

hoos30

Are you in the right thread, bruh?

Regarding Cersei, [book stuff but not really spoilers]
Tywin tells Cersei it's time she re-marries again. Cersei refuses, but Tywin insists, saying she's still young and fertile and it would put the rumours to rest if she birthed more heirs (which of course makes Cersei furious about being a "brood mare"). He suggests a bunch of names, old men with ailing wives at first, then younger men such as Theon Greyjoy (lol), Quentyn Martell, and Willas. Tyrion pipes in, "That would be the cripple.", enjoying her dismay, haha. He says Willas is his chocie but he would "let her choose another" if she can give him a good reason. She doesn't care for that at all, haha. Can't blame her, but it's Cersei, so we feel like laughing at her then. But yeah, since Willas is cut from the show, and namedropping the other dudes wouldn't have served much purpose at this point, it makes sense he'd go immediately with Loras.

Alright that jogs my memory, thanks.

btw, one thing said in the no books thread made me think. asos/ffc/dwd
is it ever actually explained why they wouldn't be able to resurrect ned? I mean, it's not 100% confirmed yet, but isn't the theory right now that Cersei's champion in her trial by combat is the Mountain's headless body resurrected? and also, Cersei was never promised to wed Loras (or even Willas) in the books, was she? Is Loras already in the Knightsguard in the show, or is him joining the Guard possibly going to be how they avoid having the two marry?

I don't have the best memory for the book details so i could be wrong, but (ASOS+)
the Mountain lost his head?? I thought he was just mortally poisoned by the Viper's blade. He's almost certainly Cersei's champion though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regarding Cersei, [book stuff but not really spoilers]
Tywin tells Cersei it's time she re-marries again. Cersei refuses, but Tywin insists, saying she's still young and fertile and it would put the rumours to rest if she birthed more heirs (which of course makes Cersei furious about being a "brood mare"). He suggests a bunch of names, old men with ailing wives at first, then younger men such as Theon Greyjoy (lol), Quentyn Martell, and Willas. Tyrion pipes in, "That would be the cripple.", enjoying her dismay, haha. He says Willas is his chocie but he would "let her choose another" if she can give him a good reason. She doesn't care for that at all, haha. Can't blame her, but it's Cersei, so we feel like laughing at her then. But yeah, since Willas is cut from the show, and namedropping the other dudes wouldn't have served much purpose at this point, it makes sense he'd go immediately with Loras.

Cersei: "Theon Greyjoy?! Are you mad?

Tywin: "I can have Lord Bolton ship down a sample, if you'd like"

Chatin

Loras is gay?? I had no idea, the showrunners have been playing this so subtly. /sarcasm

Enjoyed the Jaime/Brienne bits. The Jon/Ygritte bits were more cringeworthy than the books. They're really pushing the Tyrell's in the show. I quite enjoyed Cersei pushing the extravagant wedding in the book.

EDIT: I still don't see the benefit of cutting Willas in the show. It's not like they even had to cast him.

hoos30

Loras is gay?? I had no idea, the showrunners have been playing this so subtly. /sarcasm

Enjoyed the Jaime/Brienne bits. The Jon/Ygritte bits were more cringeworthy than the books. They're really pushing the Tyrell's in the show. I quite enjoyed Cersei pushing the extravagant wedding in the book.

EDIT: I still don't see the benefit of cutting Willas in the show. It's not like they even had to cast him.

?
Why add another character to confuse the non book audience when Loras serves the purpose perfectly well?

Chatin

?
Why add another character to confuse the non book audience when Loras serves the purpose perfectly well?
It's a much different scenario for Sansa to be promised into a political marriage with a cripple than letting her be all doe-eyed over Loras, while the audience snickers at the beard she might become. The show runners had no qualms about introducing this Olyvar fellow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Tywin knows very well who the father of Cersei's children is, and just ignores it because it would destroy his family.

kirblar

Just realized something in regards to Cersei/Loras and how they might be adapting it.

I suspect they may have Cersei plant the Kingsguard seed to Loras, so that she has him do the same thing Jaime once did. It'd be a win-win situation, as in the show Loras' sexuality is hardly a well-kept secret among the upper classes.

?

I think what the show has done works fine, but I wish they hadn't put in that line about Loras being heir to Highgarden. That just needlessly cuts out two characters who could have easily still existed but been off screen and not effecting things for the moment.

Fey

Banned
It's a much different scenario for Sansa to be promised into a political marriage with a cripple than letting her be all doe-eyed over Loras, while the audience snickers at the beard she might become. The show runners had no qualms about introducing this Olyvar fellow.

It is slightly different but asos
the end result is pretty much the same. She's excited about the prospect of marrying and leaving KL (and the show just changes it into Loras, which just heightens her excitement), and this fantasy is swiftly ruined by her being forced to marry Tyrion, which then pushes her into following LF's plans.

Sansa's arc is probably one of the few changes from book -> show that has made me unhappy asos
Finding out LF was behind it all just came out of nowhere and completely shocked me! :( I wish they were able to keep that, but I suppose it would mean having to reintroduce Dontos. Non-book readers seem to be enjoying the whole LF/Varys/Sansa/Olenna/Margaery stuff anyways.

If there is no point to them existing on the show, then why even have them exist off screen?

Because why introduce yet another character when many people are already struggling to remember several important characters? Him being off screen would make it even harder for people to recall him. People know and remember Loras, and therefore it's easier to have him replace the role.

dubq

I think what the show has done works fine, but I wish they hadn't put in that line about Loras being heir to Highgarden. That just needlessly cuts out two characters who could have easily still existed but been off screen and not effecting things for the moment.
If there is no point to them existing on the show, then why even have them exist off screen?

kirblar

They have to condense characters. There's only so much screen-time real estate, and there's a limit to how much the audience can remember.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just realized something in regards to Cersei/Loras and how they might be adapting it.

I suspect they may have Cersei plant the Kingsguard seed to Loras, so that she has him do the same thing Jaime once did. It'd be a win-win situation, as in the show Loras' sexuality is hardly a well-kept secret among the upper classes.

That makes a whole lot of sense actually....

or alternatively...
ASOS spoiler
Olenna tells Loras to join to protect his sister, after Sansa is married off to Tyrion, and they fell they are n danger. Then it's almost the same as in the book, with Loras' father recognizing the danger early and telling him to join.

Iksenpets

Banned

Series
If Garlan or Willas need to exist for anything later, they can just be introduced as younger brothers. They can make Willas the second son so he becomes heir when Loras goes kingsguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom