• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
- EW.com: 'Game of Thrones' ratings hit ANOTHER series high
Following the previous week’s dragon-unleashing stunner episode, HBO’s Game of Thrones climbed in the ratings Sunday night for the fifth episode of the season.

Thrones delivered 5.3 million viewers for its first airing at 9 p.m. That’s up 8 percent from the previous week, which was also a record high, and had built on a previous record high this season.

There’s some significance to hitting this number. Last year’s True Blood premiered to 5.2 million viewers. Could Game of Thrones overthrow True Blood to become the network’s most-watched series this year? (Yes, they’re on the same network, so it’s all gravy for HBO, but it’s still fun to pit these two shows with heavy online fandoms against each other and see which comes out on top).
iTCCLZr4O38xT.gif

calza

You should probably cover that up.

It looks like Cersei is going to get him appointed to get out of the marriage

Yeah I think it is going to be Cersei, but it will be Jeoffrey that does ask him to be a Kingsguard. So maybe Margaery asks Jeoffrey to do it to protect her brother?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
From the other thread

Great thread, been reading through it.

Pretty good episode, but not as good as last week.

I never thought Stannis was that into the Lord of Light stuff, just saw Melisandre as a powerful weapon that he wanted for himself. He pretty much mumbles his "The night is dark and full of terror" during the ceremony, and there's a scene later on when she scolds him for not being fully devoted. I hope he can get his shit together, he was awesome in season 2.

Tywin is a mesmerising presence but he's also a total cunt. And his line last week to Cersei about her not being as smart as she thinks she is ... well how about Golden Boy Jaime getting captured twice, and then outsmarted by one of Bolton's thugs, or Tywin himself not realising Arya was under his nose, or needing Cersei to inform him of Granny Tyrell's influence growing (strong) like a weed. I'm with Cersei on this... she looks pretty close to losing her shit and I wouldn't blame her.

I loved the sword fight. Not usually that fussed about the action sequences but this one was great. Was cheering for The Hound. The Lord of Light seems like an incredibly powerful god compared to whatever the others worship, you can understand why the followers are so devoted. I wonder what rituals the priest (Thoros?) and Beric had to perform to get these powers. Also how does their brotherhood and what they're trying to do fit with what Melisandre was doing to help Stannis, presumably if Stannis' armies were wandering around Westeros they'd be trying to take them down too?

I'm really hoping for the Robb-Arya re-unitement soon.

ASOS:
You know the reason I quoted this was for the last bit, but I'll be nice and not bold it because of potential spoilers. The meltdowns are going to be delicious.

pitbull-bud-light-o_zps520cc51a.gif

RaidenZR

As a book reader the reaction and confusion to the show's Willas Tyrell authenticity here is baffling to me. The change is really inconsequential in my eyes and I couldn't care less about this audible. In all honesty, it does seem smart to reduce the character count when possible [Series]
(especially when it seems that Willas doesn't have a huge role to play in forthcoming books). The only thing it kind of made me sad about was that we don't get Sansa's souring reaction to realizing he's a cripple and her storybook wedding will never happen.

ZeroRay

Speaking of Sansa, I heard offhand that the producers said they're not done with
Dontos'
character yet.

ASOS/ADWD
If this is true, then it puts my theory of Ros being the one shot on the boat in jeopardy and makes me wonder if they'll try to pass her off as fake Arya.

Dysun

Speaking of Sansa, I heard offhand that the producers said they're not done with
Dontos'
character yet.

ASOS/ADWD
If this is true, then it puts my theory of Ros being the one shot on the boat in jeopardy and makes me wonder if they'll try to pass her off as fake Arya.

If Dontos is coming back she's taking the fall for Marillion

Solo

It'll be interesting to see when GoT's ratings peak. Sure as shit ain't happening this season. The S3 finale will be huge.

Magnus

From the other thread

ASOS:
You know the reason I quoted this was for the last bit, but I'll be nice and not bold it because of potential spoilers. The meltdowns are going to be delicious.

pitbull-bud-light-o_zps520cc51a.gif

Indeed. Indeed.

I don't know whether to laugh at it all or weep in anticipation.

I can't even imagine what it was like to film parts of this season. Emotional rollercoaster.

Levi

Banned
How on earth was that a spoiler?

It's not a spoiler. Neither are character names like Ramsay Snow or Daario Naharis. But in a world where dialog from the first two seasons is considered a "spoiler", it seems some people won't be happy until this entire thread is nothing but black bars.

The fact that Jorah spied on Dany for Robert, featured in multiple season one episodes, was called a spoiler recently.

In this very thread, someone lost their shit because the Bolton's sigil was posted. Something that was on-screen for much of season two and featured on the HBO viewers guide way back then.

When everything is a spoiler, then nothing is. Devalue spoilers, and you train people to just highlight everything, and all of a sudden they find out something that actual does negatively impact their experience.

rar

i'd like to give a round of applause to nikolaj coster-waldau and whoever cast him

there's a lot of casting i'm not happy about on the show, but he is perfect as jaime

Zabka

It's not a spoiler. Neither are character names like Ramsay Snow or Daario Naharis. But in a world where dialog from the first two seasons is considered a "spoiler", it seems some people won't be happy until this entire thread is nothing but black bars.

What he posted about hasn't happened in the show yet. In fact it looks like it's being given more weight than it was in the books by integrating it with other plotlines.

Snake

EW.com via Cornballer said:
Thrones delivered 5.3 million viewers for its first airing at 9 p.m. That’s up 8 percent from the previous week, which was also a record high, and had built on a previous record high this season.
GqwFNei.gif

Trasher

What he posted about hasn't happened in the show yet. In fact it looks like it's being given more weight than it was in the books by integrating it with other plotlines.

This.

100% fits the guidelines in this thread as a spoiler.

The other things posted above in that post by VsRobot all seem to not be spoilers, and if people are getting salty about it then that's on them for not paying enough attention during the show. However, it doesn't change the fact that real spoilers, or even possible spoilers that may or may not show up in the show, should still be tagged just in case.

Levi

Banned

That's speculation. You can't make up a future event and then pretend a minor adaptation difference is a spoiler to that event.

Some real ASOS/AFFC spoilers
There is no reason Loras ever has to be a Kingsguard. Neither his nor Cersei's future story lines necessitate that he ever take the White.

Jack Gleeson I don't think will ever got proper props for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon. He plays his part so well and people absolutely hate Joffrey, that I think their hate for him gets in the way of any praise for Jack's portrayal of the character.

I got to say that I absolutely agree. There are some charachters that are much more memorable in the show than what they were in the books, and Joffrey is one of them. Grand Maester Pycelle as a minor player is also a welcome addition. I love how they portray his personal vendetta against Tyrion, and I really hope we will see more of it in the future.

Trasher

That's speculation. You can't make up a future event and then pretend a minor adaptation difference is a spoiler to that event.

But it's not speculation that it hasn't happened yet. It's still a potential book spoiler. How do you not see that?

Some real ASOS/AFFC spoilers
There is no reason Loras ever has to be a Kingsguard. Neither his nor Cersei's future story lines necessitate that he ever take the White.

But their story lines would be affected if Loras did take the white. Not wanting to get married to Cersei is reason enough for him becoming a kingsguard. You've read the books and know the story. Use your head. Just by simply bringing up the possibility of him taking the white in conversation to someone who only watches the show, it wouldn't be hard for them to see how that could change things with Tywin's plans in having Cersei married off. That's fine if they figure it out on their own, but they shouldn't be tipped off beforehand by simply reading it.

Levi

Banned
No one, including you, knows if Loras is going to join. There is no "yet". I doubt he will. There is no reason for him to. The speculated reason is bullshit, because
it's not like Cersei needs anyone to join the guard to get out of any of the suggested matches in the book.

-griffy-

Banned
Anything that happens in the book that doesn't happen in the show is a spoiler. Any differences are a spoiler. This is a thread about the show. Openly saying something that happens in the book but doesn't happen (or hasn't happened yet) in the show is a spoiler and should be marked as such.

Trasher

No one, including you, knows if Loras is going to join. There is no "yet". I doubt he will. There is no reason for him to. The speculated reason is bullshit, because
it's not like Cersei needs anyone to join the guard to get out of any of the suggested matches in the book.

Exactly. So to even allude to that possibility is a potential spoiler since it is canon in the book.

griffy's post nails it. If you can't handle that simple rule, then you should probably just stop participating in the thread. Anyways, I'm done on this subject. Sorry to all those who keep getting annoyed by these damn spoiler debates.

Fey

Banned
ASOS
Sansa agreeing to the plan to marry the cripple Tyrell son whom she had never met showed her resolve to protect herself. This situation with Loras is just Sansa playing the fairytale again. It's a disservice to her. She isn't shitting on Dontas because she's found a better plan to get out of King's Landing, she's delaying her guaranteed escape with Peter so she can live this happy little Tyrell dream.

The showrunners have been sabotaging Sansa's growth so that they can spend more time on Loras' gay escapades. Sansa > Loras, so this is just a disservice to the viewers.

:O ASOS (spoilering it just in case ... really just discussing how Willas -> Loras effects Sansa, not any in depth book details)
I never actually thought about it this way ... I mean, I still don't really blame the showrunners for replacing Willas with Loras, but yeah, it does screw up Sansa's growth. Being promised to marry a cripple and accepting it showed initiative on Sansa's part (knowing she needs to leave KL and doing whatever it takes), and also displayed how her fondness for a fairytale-like life was diminishing.

Viewers likely won't think her reason for rejecting LF in the last episode is because she's found a better way out or something, but more because "omg yas im marrying loras :D" (aka Sansa being Sansa)

:O ASOS (spoilering it just in case ... really just discussing how Willas -> Loras effects Sansa, not any in depth book details)
I never actually thought about it this way ... I mean, I still don't really blame the showrunners for replacing Willas with Loras, but yeah, it does screw up Sansa's growth. Being promised to marry a cripple and accepting it showed initiative on Sansa's part (knowing she needs to leave KL and doing whatever it takes), and also displayed how her fondness for a fairytale-like life was diminishing.

Viewers likely won't think her reason for rejecting LF in the last episode is because she's found a better way out or something, but more because "omg yas im marrying loras :D" (aka Sansa being Sansa)

In regard to your spoiler all of that is essentially a moot point by
Marrying Tyrion
It ends up serving the same purpose.

Burt

I think we should make another ASOIAF thread. Turn this one into light spoilers for non book readers that've seen all the behind the scenes material, make a new one for medium-heavy spoilers but only for the first two books and world lore. If someone complains about having the exact length of Stannis' sword spoiled for them, we can always make more.

I think the biggest issue is that (Sansa spoilahs)
the way they've set it up puts the entire thing in Sansa's hands, like she's in control. Littlefinger comes up to her and says, "yo I can get you outta here, what do you say?" and she literally says "no" and LF says, "Okay well if you want I'll bail you outta here, let me know, k."

Her growth in the books was really about "oh shit I gotta get out of here and I'll take any rope given to me to get out of here. Whether it's marrying a cripple or sneaking out with some drunk dude who's in love with me to go WHO KNOWS WHERE, I'm getting the fuck out." She didn't have good choices or control.

But now I'm worried that when she finds out she's gotta marry Tyrion, she'll go to LF and be all, "Yo get me outta here bro, I realized getting out here would be sweet." It's changing her from having a "run for your life" moment to a "cool escape plan" moment.

All of that said, I'm willing to let the show do its thing and see how they handle it. They may end up doing it well and I'll have no complaints at the end. I think that ship has mostly sailed with Arya (truly the only character I think they've butchered on the show), but Sansa is salvageable.

the way they've set it up puts the entire thing in Sansa's hands, like she's in control. Littlefinger comes up to her and says, "yo I can get you outta here, what do you say?" and she literally says "no" and LF says, "Okay well if you want I'll bail you outta here, let me know, k."

Her growth in the books was really about "oh shit I gotta get out of here and I'll take any rope given to me to get out of here. Whether it's marrying a cripple or sneaking out with some drunk dude who's in love with me to go WHO KNOWS WHERE, I'm getting the fuck out." She didn't have good choices or control.

But now I'm worried that when she finds out she's gotta marry Tyrion, she'll go to LF and be all, "Yo get me outta here bro, I realized getting out here would be sweet." It's changing her from having a "run for your life" moment to a "cool escape plan" moment.

All of that said, I'm willing to let the show do its thing and see how they handle it. They may end up doing it well and I'll have no complaints at the end. I think that ship has mostly sailed with Arya (truly the only character I think they've butchered on the show), but Sansa is salvageable.

I don't remember how it occurred in the books but the show seems to make it obvious that (kind of ASOS?)
Littlefinger is the one that Tips the lannister's off in the first place about the Loras marriage, and likely gives Tywin the ideas for Sansa to marry Tyrion and Cersei to Loras. Which if true, Littlefinger is still very much in control knowing that Sansa won't be happy with that betrothal.

I don't remember how it occurred in the books but the show seems to make it obvious that (kind of ASOS?)
Littlefinger is the one that Tips the lannister's off in the first place about the Loras marriage, and likely gives Tywin the ideas for Sansa to marry Tyrion and Cersei to Loras. Which if true, Littlefinger is still very much in control knowing that Sansa won't be happy with that betrothal.

That's true, but I was getting at Sansa's feelings during the whole thing and her character development.
Even if she's being played, she doesn't know she's being played, and she feels somewhat in control. It just seemed a lot more dire and desperate in the book, where any lifeline was a good one, now she gets to "choose" lifelines and that feels weird.

-griffy-

Banned
That's true, but I was getting at Sansa's feelings during the whole thing and her character development.
Even if she's being played, she doesn't know she's being played, and she feels somewhat in control. It just seemed a lot more dire and desperate in the book, where any lifeline was a good one, now she gets to "choose" lifelines and that feels weird.

But she's not choosing.
She thinks she is choosing Loras and the Tyrells over Littlefinger, but Littlefinger is gaming the whole thing by planting the seeds for Cersei to marry Loras, and Sansa to marry Tyrion. So Sansa won't get her choice of Loras, instead being married off to Tyrion, and therefore want to escape with Littlefinger again. He's manipulating her to "choose" to go off with Littlefinger by forcing her into a shitty situation. I also think there is something very tragic about her getting hopeful and optimistic again about a possible life with who seem like decent people to her, married to an attractive high-born male heir, an escape from her current situation and something to look forward to, only to have that ultimately be ruined by marrying Tyrion.

Fey

Banned
In regard to your spoiler all of that is essentially a moot point by
Marrying Tyrion
It ends up serving the same purpose.

Yeah, and that's why I'm not too, too upset about the change. The end result will be the same.

Yeah, I agree with this. asos
In the show, she's being offered to marry a man of her dreams to get out, or trust in a man she thinks is a friend to her family to get out. Both great options (in her opinion) and she's more like "Gosh, all these great ways to get out! What to choose!" whereas in the book her two gateways out of the city were a crippled man and a fat drunk. And her choosing to go with either route showed that Sansa's thoughts were more along the lines of "I need to get the hell out of here." instead of imagining which path would lead to more of a "fairytale" end, which is a big development for Sansa.

Just listened to this week's Grantland's Hollywood Prospectus podcast with Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan. Neither of them have read the books, but they MAJOR ASOS
were talking about how you should never sit at a table with Tywin because it's going to end poorly for you, and they were just stringing off other ways you should talk to Tywin and one of them said "talk to him while he's sitting on his chamber pot". Heh

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just listened to this week's Grantland's Hollywood Prospectus podcast with Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan. Neither of them have read the books, but they MAJOR ASOS
were talking about how you should never sit at a table with Tywin because it's going to end poorly for you, and they were just stringing off other ways you should talk to Tywin and one of them said "talk to him while he's sitting on his chamber pot. Heh
[ASoS]
At least it won't end badly for you. :p

But she's not choosing.
She thinks she is choosing
That is my whole point. it doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things what is happening, it matters what is going on in her head. we're talking about character development.

Fey's post gets what I'm getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom