• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

BIG ASOS SPOILERS
"No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold."

I think the scene lends itself perfectly to a cut to black, to be honest. Just picture BIG ASOS SPOILERS
clawing her face in a fit of madness and rage, crying and/or laughing, with her face and fingers all bloody and then someone takes her by the hair and puts a knife on her throat. Then she says those words, and a "swish" sound is head as the screen cuts to black. Credits.

Hell yes.

Major SOS spoilers
There's no way they'll undercut the magnitude of the RW by allowing the episode to end on Arya and Sandor, IMO. I'll be shocked if it happens any other way.

jett

D-Member
Do shadow babies live just long enough to stab people to death?

I don't understand why the show keeps harping on Melisandre giving Stannis a baby, only leads to confusion of this sort it seems. :p

There is no more shadow baby.

Speevy

Banned
I'm wondering (ASOS spoilers)
if they'll do the red wedding through a voiced over/songed over action montage, or if they'll draw it out step-by-step. It seems like an awful lot of character violence for one scene.

jett

D-Member
Hell yes.

Major SOS spoilers
There's no way they'll undercut the magnitude of the RW by allowing the episode to end on Arya and Sandor, IMO. I'll be shocked if it happens any other way.

Major ASOS
If they do it smart it won't undercut anything. The show would have to effortlessly transition from Arya's and Robb's POV back and forth, showcasing the madness inside RW and outside of it simultaneously.
They've never done this, they always deliver their neatly packaged five minute intervals with each character, which is why I don't see it happening the way I envisage it.

Massa

Major ASOS
If they do it smart it won't undercut anything. The show would have to effortlessly transition from Arya's and Robb's POV back and forth, showcasing the madness inside RW and outside of it simultaneously.
They've never done this, they always deliver their neatly packaged five minute intervals with each character, which is why I don't see it happening the way I envisage it.

Blackwater.

-griffy-

Banned
Major ASOS
I don't even know what this means exactly.
For one, there hasn't been an event like RW on the show yet, but I don't see why they wouldn't so the RW and then have Arya and the Hound riding up outside as it is happening, as it happens in the book. Also, if we look at comparable events we can perhaps get an idea. Ned's execution is cutting from Ned's perspective to Arya's. Blackwater is juggling from Stannis to Tyrion to Cersei to Sansa to Joffrey to give us all facets of what's happening to everyone involved in that event. Of course normally they have a single scene with a character/group because in most cases everyone is in seperate locations dealing with seperate story. However they end the episode I have confidence it will be done for maximum emotional impact, and have nothing to do with some weird, imagined adherence to isolated characters because of "bland" editing.

Guess it was just me, but [ASOS]
Arya being struck right after Robb and Cat died did a lot to sell the idea that the Hound killed her. I totally believed it was possible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Simple thing to balance out...

ASOS
Show Robb die, cut outside to show the chaos outside, and Arya getting clubbed, then cut back inside to Catelyn.

Though, to be fair, I never thought Arya was dead in the books.

jett

D-Member
Blackwater.

You got me there. I just realized why I have no faith in them doing any clever editing.
Nobody bought the "murders" of Bran and Rickon in the non-reader thread. That was just so terribly done, for me.

I don't even know what this means exactly.
For one, there hasn't been an event like RW on the show yet, but I don't see why they wouldn't so the RW and then have Arya and the Hound riding up outside as it is happening, as it happens in the book. Also, if we look at comparable events we can perhaps get an idea. Ned's execution is cutting from Ned's perspective to Arya's. Blackwater is juggling from Stannis to Tyrion to Cersei to Sansa to Joffrey to give us all facets of what's happening to everyone involved in that event. Of course normally they have a single scene with a character/group because in most cases everyone is in seperate locations dealing with seperate story. However they end the episode I have confidence it will be done for maximum emotional impact, and have nothing to do with some weird, imagined adherence to isolated characters because of "bland" editing.

Please, imagined adherence to isolated characters? That's what 99% of the show has been. Ugh, just, whatever. I actually stealth edited out my opinion on the direction of the show because I didn't want to deal with this but that guy just had to quote me.

Dysun

ASOS
How I would do the final scenes in RW Ep 9

Robb gets killed
Arya gets fakeout-killed
Cat gets killed/thrown in river
Robb with Grey Wind's head on his body as the last shot

Speevy

Banned
Will (series)
Catelyn's resurrection
be this season?

I can totally imagine that being the last shot we see before the credits roll on season 3.

Speevy

Banned
Another thing (ASOS)

Why do some people think the RW is episode 8, while others think it's episode 9? The synopsis for 8 mentions a wedding. Is this not it? Is it Tyrion's wedding to Sansa?

jett

D-Member
Will (series)
Catelyn's resurrection
be this season?

I can totally imagine that being the last shot we see before the credits roll on season 3.

I can see that being the end of season 4. This season being half the book I really have no clue what episode 10 will entail.

-griffy-

Banned
Please, imagined adherence to isolated characters? That's what 99% of the show has been. Ugh, just, whatever. I actually stealth edited out my opinion on the direction of the show because I didn't want to deal with this but that guy just had to quote me.
Yeah, because 99% of the story is that, so the show is like that out of necessity. Not because the filmmakers aren't capable of doing something else.

Another thing (ASOS)

Why do some people think the RW is episode 8, while others think it's episode 9? The synopsis for 8 mentions a wedding. Is this not it? Is it Tyrion's wedding to Sansa?

It is indeed Tyrion's wedding to Sansa. The RW being Episode 9 has been confirmed (plus the title is a dead giveaway).

I can see that being the end of season 4. This season being half the book I really have no clue what episode 10 will entail.

(ASOS)
The end of Season 3 will very likely be the freed Yunkai slaves calling Dany 'mother'. Last episode should also have reaction to the Red Wedding and Jon escaping the wildlings and returning to the Wall.

Massa

ASOS
It's one thing to write that someone was hit in the head with an axe, and another to actually show it. When you have to do the later it's much harder to leave it open for interpretation.

Snake

While the ending could very well be a moment like [ASOS]
"Mhysa!"
, as Kuwabara spoke of, I wouldn't be surprised if the final cliffhanger was something original to the show like the ending of Season 2.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ASOS
It's one thing to write that someone was hit in the head with an axe, and another to actually show it. When you have to do the later it's much harder to leave it open for interpretation.
Arya runs away from the Hound. The Hound rides her down with axe over his head and swings it towards her then cut to black with the sound of her being hit.

Many will think she's dead.

Fey

Banned
ASOS

Yup asos
This is why I don't think Arya getting hit with the axe will get as much importance in the show as people might feel it deserves. In the book it was special because we're being told that Arya was "hit with an axe" right after we find out GRRM is more than happy to kill off more Starks.

Unless they do it dramatically like Arya's running and then turns around, and then it cuts to a shot of an axe swinging down and her screaming or something, I really doubt it'll be the final scene of episode 9, or a significant scene at all. And I hope they don't make it the final scene because the focus should be Robb and Cat. Put it in between their deaths if at all.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Man, these last two episodes have been so fucking good. So fucking good.

I already like this season more than 2 and we're only half way in....

Magnus

Random thoughts and musings on the ep, a little late! Been a busy couple days.

http://www.omega-level.net/2013/05/01/this-week-on-game-of-thrones-kissed-by-fire/

Some of my favorite images from this week:

305YgritteJonTorm.png

305JaimeRoose.png

305DanyAdvisors.png

305Cersei.png

And probably my favorite: Robb, in a scene that deliberately echoed Theon's execution of Rodrik last year, from the look (rain, courtyard) to the sound (same music) to the circumstances (forced execution to prove one's hardiness as a leader to one's subordinates).

305Execution.png

206Theon1.gif

Is this a joke? I bet you that if one of Tywin's lords betrayed him and killed two of his valuable hostages, he wouldn't have hesitated at executing them. Also, Starks=good guys and Lannisters=bad guys is a pretty lame way to view the series, but I guess that's your choice.

Tywin personally trodding around the place and ordering people killed and burned?
Tywin forcing his children to marry for political gain, while Rob marries out of love?
Cersei intruiging and backstabbing, even plotting to kill her brother?
Jamie attempting to kill innocent children.
And don't get me started on the mad king 2.

The Starks are saints in comparison.
Series:
I think you'll find that the good/bad dichotomy becomes clearer as the shows goes on - as it's pretty clear that the Lannisters have no concern for honour when it comes to the red feast. The worst Stark you ever see is one that has been resurrected through dark magic - and she's really only vengeful.

Loofy

And probably my favorite: Robb, in a scene that deliberately echoed Theon's execution of Rodrik last year, from the look (rain, courtyard) to the sound (same music) to the circumstances (forced execution to prove one's hardiness as a leader to one's subordinates).

305Execution.png

206Theon1.gif
Yeah when that happened I thought 'hmm, I wonder if he can do it in one swipe unlike theon.'

RyanDG

Yup asos
This is why I don't think Arya getting hit with the axe will get as much importance in the show as people might feel it deserves. In the book it was special because we're being told that Arya was "hit with an axe" right after we find out GRRM is more than happy to kill off more Starks.

Unless they do it dramatically like Arya's running and then turns around, and then it cuts to a shot of an axe swinging down and her screaming or something, I really doubt it'll be the final scene of episode 9, or a significant scene at all. And I hope they don't make it the final scene because the focus should be Robb and Cat. Put it in between their deaths if at all.

ASOS
To be honest, I never even got the interpretation that in the book she was ever in danger of actually being killed in that scene by the Hound. Considering the Hound's motives, as a character at that point, killing Arya wouldn't be an option (he's wanting money). I've always felt it surprising that people read that scene thinking that there was an intent on George RR Martin's part to leave her being alive or dead as ambiguous. To me, when I read that chapter, her ultimate fate (ie, what the Hound was going to do with her at that point), was definitely ambiguous, but not her life or death.

Tywin personally trodding around the place and ordering people killed and burned?
Tywin forcing his children to marry for political gain, while Rob marries out of love?
Cersei intruiging and backstabbing, even plotting to kill her brother?
Jamie attempting to kill innocent children.
And don't get me started on the mad king 2.

The Starks are saints in comparison.
Series:
I think you'll find that the good/bad dichotomy becomes clearer as the shows goes on - as it's pretty clear that the Lannisters have no concern for honour when it comes to the red feast. The worst Stark you ever see is one that has been resurrected through dark magic - and she's really only vengeful.

Robb consciously sent ~2000 men to die against Tywin so that he could take the rest of his army around to ambush Jaime. Robb is painted as one of the "good guys" but his army is doing a lot of the same shit the Lannister army is (killing peasants, etc). On the other hand Jaime saved hundreds of thousands by killing the mad king and everyone hates him for it

Brashnir

bleh asos
I really hope they don't bring unCat in until the end of season 4. In the book, you think Cat's dead for several hundred pages, and her being dead just becomes a fact, like Ned and Robert are dead. Her suddenly coming back was a huge WTFFFF moment.
Having her come back at the end of the next season, a whole season after she dies, would be huge.

while that's true,
In the books, the Red Wedding is an absolutely brutal gut punch, but since it's the middle of the book, you get to keep reading while many of the characters' story arcs rally and things start looking up for many of them in the second half of the book.

Putting that gut punch at the end of a TV season and forcing people to wait 9 months for any signs of hope would be much more brutal. There needs to be some sign of things getting better before the season ends. I'm not sure if Cat's resurrection is the best choice of things to use for that purpose, but there needs to be something.

devilhawk

I think ASoS
they might end with Arya being hit somewhere in the RW episode. If not, I think it can be done well too. I am hoping they show her getting hit and don't show her again. Do show a dream sequence of Nymeria pulling out a body and Beric/Thoros/BwB coming up to it. Whether they show the body being resurrected in Episode 10 or Episode 1 next year doesn't truly matter.

Hopefully they show Stoneheart all cloaked up doing things for several episodes and reveal her later on in the season.

Walshicus

Can't remember which book spoilers:
Anyone else thinking that Gendry will replace Edric Storm in the show? That Mellisandre has gone hunting for him?

We were still going to call him Vargo Hoat—but when he became a Bolton man (and a Westerosi) George asked that we change his name, and we complied.
Wow, that's so dumb. You can't completely change a character so he has nothing in common with the original and give him the same name.

My second proudest moment as a writer on this show was when I walked on set and saw those dead baby props!

This guy is crazy!

“In terms of Loras…”
“It’s different, you’re right. I feel like he’s in mourning, he’s depressed, and this encounter with Olyvar is him medicating his wounds, if you will.

Yeah, that doesn't come across at all. The interviewer is right.

Atsumi

I can't believe this season is half-way over already. My boyfriend is getting mad that we can't just start a new episode right after one ends (we watched the first two seasons on Blu-Ray as they came out)

Gvaz

Banned
I can't believe this season is half-way over already. My boyfriend is getting mad that we can't just start a new episode right after one ends (we watched the first two seasons on Blu-Ray as they came out)

Then tell your bf to start reading the books.

Talon

I thought Tyrion's protestations of Sansa were a little bit too on-the-nose.

But, hey, it's a TV show, so how else would you do it?

TheExodu5

Banned
Friend sends an e-mail saying how terrible and boring this past episode was. I thought it was one of the best this season, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom