• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Tywin knows very well who the father of Cersei's children is, and just ignores it because it would destroy his family.
[vague series stuff]
It's unclear, but I was always under the impression that he never knew. He's always had a blind spot when it comes to his family.

bengraven

Episode broke my heart.

When I saw the pictures of the girl who would play Shireen, I knew she was going to melt my heart. Loved her part.

Nico's acting in the bath was fantastic, the best so far from him.

Arya is so sad.

Everyone was so damn sad. And such great actors.

We truly do not deserve a show like this.

Trasher

Episode broke my heart.

When I saw the pictures of the girl who would play Shireen, I knew she was going to melt my heart. Loved her part.

Arya is so sad.

We should make a sacrifice to R'hllor to deserve it.

cj_iwakura

Episode broke my heart.

Arya is so sad.

The best line in the episode is not getting enough love.

You would be my lady.

If there is no point to them existing on the show, then why even have them exist off screen?

Well, I feel like
if Loras is the heir, him joining the Kingsguard makes a lot less sense than if he was the third son. Not to mention that his family wouldn't have gone along with it as easily.
It's a minor thing, but I just feel like that change was a bit pointless.

Plus, if Loras is the heir, why marry him to Sansa. You don't want to marry heirs to heirs. You marry second or third children to heirs. Loras can't be lord of Highgarden and Winterfell.

Admittedly, this is a really minor thing. I just feel like that line was a bit pointless.

hoos30

I dunno. Some poster in the non spoiler thread was like,"I'm worried this is going to turn into BSG and tell us that monotheism is superior to polytheism" which made face palm myself. I corrected the person saying there's nothing to worry about because there's a jazillion religions in the world of ASOIAF and some guy pm's me telling me to spoiler that.

Some of them are ridiculous but it is mostly just harmless, even if sometimes very impractical, speculation.

?[/spoiler]

Solution: Stay out of the non book thread.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Is it because Little finger is barely in ASOS and they're giving the actor screen time?

Pretty much.
I guess they decided to expand on his character since he becomes a very important character later on, much like Margaery. Although, it's not paying off like it did with Margaery.

Jeels

EDIT: I still don't see the benefit of cutting Willas in the show. It's not like they even had to cast him.

Really, do you really don't? Because nobody cares about some no name character? It is a much funnier situation with Loras who is already established.

Snake

He was unrecognized, so he wouldn't have a last name like that. But yes, he was born in King's Landing so had he been recognized as Robert's bastard he would have been Gendry Waters.

Chatin

Really, do you really don't? Because nobody cares about some no name character? It is a much funnier situation with Loras who is already established.
ASOS
Sansa agreeing to the plan to marry the cripple Tyrell son whom she had never met showed her resolve to protect herself. This situation with Loras is just Sansa playing the fairytale again. It's a disservice to her. She isn't shitting on Dontas because she's found a better plan to get out of King's Landing, she's delaying her guaranteed escape with Peter so she can live this happy little Tyrell dream.

The showrunners have been sabotaging Sansa's growth so that they can spend more time on Loras' gay escapades. Sansa > Loras, so this is just a disservice to the viewers.

royalan

Great episode overall, but something's been bugging me.

Is anyone else having an issue with the way magic and the like is being represented on the show? I know Game of Thrones is supposed to be a more realistic show, and not everything is supposed to be dripping in magic and sorcery; but I feel like the show presents magical things so sporadically that it comes off as sort of...odd.

Like early in the episode, the guy with the flaming sword, and then his apparent ressurection. The whole sequence didn't come off as particularly awe-worthy. In fact, when I first watched the episode I was more confused than anything.

I dunno...I think the issue is the show seems to want to present magic as something people don't believe exists, while at the same time being fairly commonplace.

Altazor

I dunno...I think the issue is the show seems to want to present magic as something people don't believe exists, while at the same time being fairly commonplace.

that's because most people don't believe magic actually exists, especially because it has been slowly "dying" over the course of decades. [all books spoilers]
thanks to the Maesters of the Citadel's efforts to suppress magic... but it has made a resurgence again, the dragons have returned, the Others are coming back and the Red Priests are doing all kinds of weird shit. So I dunno - magic elements are becoming more and more important to the overall narrative

golem

Great episode overall, but something's been bugging me.

Is anyone else having an issue with the way magic and the like is being represented on the show? I know Game of Thrones is supposed to be a more realistic show, and not everything is supposed to be dripping in magic and sorcery; but I feel like the show presents magical things so sporadically that it comes off as sort of...odd.

Like early in the episode, the guy with the flaming sword, and then his apparent ressurection. The whole sequence didn't come off as particularly awe-worthy. In fact, when I first watched the episode I was more confused than anything.

The thing about magic in ASOIAF is that it isnt supposed to be awe inspiring.. it is more something to be feared and dreaded. All magic that happens in the world comes at a price, as seen with Drogo's 'resurrection'. Also for a long time magic wasnt commonplace (and still isnt) but as you can see it is out there. Most people in Westeros would probably have the same reaction to seeing magic as you did- confusion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The thing about magic in ASOIAF is that it isnt supposed to be awe inspiring.. it is more something to be feared and dreaded. All magic that happens in the world comes at a price, as seen with Drogo's 'resurrection'. Also for a long time magic wasnt commonplace (and still isnt) but as you can see it is out there. Most people in Westeros would probably have the same reaction to seeing magic as you did- confusion.

I don't know where you got this idea from, especially the part about magic coming at a price. ADWD
Bran and the Old Gods magic don't seem to have any negative aside from making sure you don't lose yourself when you warg into things. They don't sacrifice anyone to do their magic. Melisandre is the only red priest that does it too, Moqoro does it just fine without anyone sacrificed.

devilhawk

Loras is gay?? I had no idea, the showrunners have been playing this so subtly. /sarcasm

Enjoyed the Jaime/Brienne bits. The Jon/Ygritte bits were more cringeworthy than the books. They're really pushing the Tyrell's in the show. I quite enjoyed Cersei pushing the extravagant wedding in the book.

EDIT: I still don't see the benefit of cutting Willas in the show. It's not like they even had to cast him.
The only way the cave scene could have been closer to books is if GRRM appeared on screen and read the damn chapter. I don't understand the hate here.

I don't know where you got this idea from, especially the part about magic coming at a price. ADWD
Bran and the Old Gods magic don't seem to have any negative aside from making sure you don't lose yourself when you warg into things. They don't sacrifice anyone to do their magic. Melisandre is the only red priest that does it too, Moqoro does it just fine without anyone sacrificed.
ADwD
Eating your friend might be a negative

golem

I think you should re read that part a bit more carefully.

Was wondering...what would be the big "twist" at the end of this season?

ASOS
Catelyn turning into lady stoneheart?

That would be my guess as well

FStop7

Banned
ASOS big spoilers

I'm wondering if we might also see Joffrey's wedding this season. If it doesn't happen now then that means next season is going to include Joff's wedding, Red Viper vs. Gregor, Shaetrayal, Tywin's potty adventure, and Lysa Arryn's flying lesson... that's a lot. Moving the royal wedding to this season and perhaps running it parallel to the red wedding might be interesting.

Pkaz01

Was wondering...what would be the big "twist" at the end of this season?

ASOS
Catelyn turning into lady stoneheart?

ASOS
It would be appropriate given Arya's conversation with beric about him not wishing his life on Ned but arya saying at least he is alive. They should do it while that scene is fresh to remind people that arya played a part (especially since they removed the part where he promises to return her to her mother which is why I think he does it in the books)

golem

ASOS big spoilers

I'm wondering if we might also see Joffrey's wedding this season. If it doesn't happen now then that means next season is going to include Joff's wedding, Red Viper vs. Gregor, Shaetrayal, Tywin's potty adventure, and Lysa Arryn's flying lesson... that's a lot. Moving the royal wedding to this season and perhaps running it parallel to the red wedding might be interesting.

Not sure about that but theyre going to have to do it fairly soon at least because ASOS big spoilers
Jaime's story is moving quite briskly and he arrives in KL after Joff's death iirc

Joni

ASOS big spoilers

You need to have everything looking bleak for the Starks and good for the Lannisters. The impact of the Red Wedding is ruined if Joffrey dies immediately after. And the Red Wedding already happens far into A Storm of Swords, so they would get tied for material next season.

MNC

ASOS big spoilers

Never thought about it being parallel in a single episode. That would be very interesting to see, though i doubt it happening. I forgot,
does the purple wedding need the red wedding before it?

Huh, if they are somehow able to include both in a single season, what was the point of splitting ASOS, again?

Besides, both at the same time would seriously lessen the impact.

exYle

I would be furious if the Purple Wedding was put into Season 3.
Let us mourn first, and more importantly, let us stew. By next year, the elation we feel from our retribution will be that much greater.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
ASoS:
Before I'd finished reading ASoS I'd had the term RW spoiled for me (in other words I knew the name and that something big happened), but I thought it referred to Joffrey and Margeary's wedding. Needless to say, that read was an emotional rollercoaster.

Vyer

The only way the cave scene could have been closer to books is if GRRM appeared on screen and read the damn chapter. I don't understand the hate here.

lol. Ygritte and Jon getting hot and heavy in the cave spa and suddenly GRRM slides into the frame with an open hardcover in his hand and a creepy grin on his face

Man, that cut from Shireen reading the book about Aegon's conquest to Dany and her Unsullied marching was beautiful.

And that shot of Margaery from the side? Beautiful as well.

And [ASoS]
Robb deciding he needs to visit Walder Frey was ominous as fuck.

Magni

I already know about the events you guys are discussing, but I think it's a bit rude to pull out peoples' posts from the other thread to ridicule them.

They're just watching a TV show and trying to speculate on it. Once certain things are over and done with, I'm sure the showrunners are going to reimagine the rest of it in ways you aren't expecting either.

Not ridiculing the posters, just poking fun at the speculation. Part of me wishes I didn't know what was coming (but I'm also glad I don't have to live in fear of spoilers).

MNC

They made it pretty fucking clear about stuff being
lominous. Robb saying "the man whose daughter i was supposed to marry"
was a line that made it a bit too clear, for me.

bengraven

The best line in the episode is not getting enough love.

Grk.

Well, I suppose because Maisie's heartbreaking delivery of the line before:
tumblr_mm1g1oez0F1qduy16o2_250.gif

holding-back-tears-o.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well, I feel like
if Loras is the heir, him joining the Kingsguard makes a lot less sense than if he was the third son. Not to mention that his family wouldn't have gone along with it as easily.
It's a minor thing, but I just feel like that change was a bit pointless.

Plus, if Loras is the heir, why marry him to Sansa. You don't want to marry heirs to heirs. You marry second or third children to heirs. Loras can't be lord of Highgarden and Winterfell.

Admittedly, this is a really minor thing. I just feel like that line was a bit pointless.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it makes the least amount of sense logically that Highgarden would send both of its two heirs to Kings Landing at the same time. That is the biggest problem front and center. Then comes the Kingsguard bit.

Technically in the book Sansa ASOS
WAS supposed to be married to Willas, unless they were lying to her, which would mean two heirs marrying each other anyway.

I know this post was pages ago but... I'm with you dude.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52774941&postcount=1669

:)

Ark

Guys.

ASOS:
The Purple Wedding isn't happening this season. We haven't even been introduced to the Martell's yet. It'll happen early next season I imagine.

aceface

My guess on how they are going to end this season (big ASOS spoilers obviously):

Ep. 9
Red Wedding of course. Will focus on just this one event like they focused on Blackwater last season

Ep. 10 Climactic event
Wildlings attack Castle Black, Jon kills Ygritte (I'm assuming this is how they are going to do it on the show), at the end of the episode camera pans over the wall, you see army of hundreds of thousands of Wildlings, giants, Mammoths, etc

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My guess on how they are going to end this season (big ASOS spoilers obviously):

Ep. 9
Red Wedding of course. Will focus on just this one event like they focused on Blackwater last season

Ep. 10 Climactic event
Wildlings attack Castle Black, Jon kills Ygritte (I'm assuming this is how they are going to do it on the show), at the end of the episode camera pans over the wall, you see army of hundreds of thousands of Wildlings, giants, Mammoths, etc

ASOS
I don't know if they can base an entire episode on the red wedding, unlike Blackwater, it's a pretty quick event. I still fear they're going to do too much forshadowing, and I think that would give it away.

ASOS
I don't know if they can base an entire episode on the red wedding, unlike Blackwater, it's a pretty quick event. I still fear they're going to do too much forshadowing, and I think that would give it away.

ASoS
yeah I agree but I think an episode devoted to all the Starks (including Jon Snow) could work well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
Where does Jon escaping fit in the timeline? They could fuck with the viewers even more with him passing out after escaping on a horse

ASOS
I could see Jon's story ending either with his escape, or the wildling battle at Castle Black. I'm guessing its the latter, since I doubt they'd do two battles at the Wall in season 4.

I'm wondering if the show is going to do the silly "Jon and Bran are 100 yards from each other!" bit.

Dany

Banned
ASOS

SOS
Well we have Arya's story and then the events of the wedding I guess it would depend on how they have those two stories intertwine. I mean Arya was RIGHT THERE and to hear the madness and bloodbath that happened afterwards ugh,

I can see the episode ending two ways with madness in the camps and Arya overhearing "THe king of the north and Lady Catylin are dead!" before getting knocked out. Or Cat saying "Don't cut my hair, Ned wouldn't want to see it cut." before getting her throat slit.

Eidan

ASOS
Sansa agreeing to the plan to marry the cripple Tyrell son whom she had never met showed her resolve to protect herself. This situation with Loras is just Sansa playing the fairytale again. It's a disservice to her. She isn't shitting on Dontas because she's found a better plan to get out of King's Landing, she's delaying her guaranteed escape with Peter so she can live this happy little Tyrell dream.

The showrunners have been sabotaging Sansa's growth so that they can spend more time on Loras' gay escapades. Sansa > Loras, so this is just a disservice to the viewers.

ASOS
How is her resolve to protect herself somehow diminished if she marries Loras? Both scenarios are framed to her as an opportunity to escape King's Landing. That she would be betrothed to Loras only makes the Tyrell offer more tempting.

I really think you're reaching here. Loras is an established character who audiences are familiar with, who can serve the same purpose to the story as Willas. In a show where viewers struggle to remember most characters who haven't appeared in the most recent set of episodes, let alone some previously unmentioned character they will never see, this can only be considered a smart change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom