• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty awesome episode.

I loved the little eerie babies in the jar, goes to show how fucked up Stannis and his family his - and his wife reaction to them, and to him screwing around with fire god priestess further strengthens that. Same with the scene with his daughter, where you see him feeling some sort of guilt - but end up extinguishing it as he leaves her upon the mention of his former right hand.

Grey worm's introduction was awesome. Tywin lording over Tyrion and Cersei was great, damn that guy is a massive prick. Sansa being stupid and gullible as usual. Old tyrell lady being scheming and cutting the bullshit as usual. Crazy resurrection stuff right there with the Old Brotherhood's leader.

Oh, and that fire sword scene was pretty ace.

I did like how Rob once again showed that the Starks are the good guys in this show, by following his code of honour and executing that lord for killing two innocent boys - you know the Lannisters would never do something like that (Lannisters are evil).

Great episode!

Mifune

Mehmber
So here's a fun game: Predict the cut to black for BIG ASOS SPOILER
Episode Nine aka The Red Wedding.

After the madness, The Hound "kills" Arya. CUT TO BLACK.

cj_iwakura

ASOS
"Make an end of it." You know they can't top that.

Hound/Arya will be the first scene of Episode 10, I bet.

Pretty awesome episode.

I loved the little eerie babies in the jar, goes to show how fucked up Stannis and his family his - and his wife reaction to them, and to him screwing around with fire god priestess further strengthens that. Same with the scene with his daughter, where you see him feeling some sort of guilt - but end up extinguishing it as he leaves her upon the mention of his former right hand.

Grey worm's introduction was awesome. Tywin lording over Tyrion and Cersei was great, damn that guy is a massive prick. Sansa being stupid and gullible as usual. Old tyrell lady being scheming and cutting the bullshit as usual. Crazy resurrection stuff right there with the Old Brotherhood's leader.

Oh, and that fire sword scene was pretty ace.

I did like how Rob once again showed that the Starks are the good guys in this show, by following his code of honour and executing that lord for killing two innocent boys - you know the Lannisters would never do something like that (Lannisters are evil).

Great episode!

Is this a joke? I bet you that if one of Tywin's lords betrayed him and killed two of his valuable hostages, he wouldn't have hesitated at executing them. Also, Starks=good guys and Lannisters=bad guys is a pretty lame way to view the series, but I guess that's your choice.

Altazor

BIG ASOS SPOILERS
"No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold."

I think the scene lends itself perfectly to a cut to black, to be honest. Just picture BIG ASOS SPOILERS
clawing her face in a fit of madness and rage, crying and/or laughing, with her face and fingers all bloody and then someone takes her by the hair and puts a knife on her throat. Then she says those words, and a "swish" sound is head as the screen cuts to black. Credits.

Mifune

Mehmber
BIG ASOS SPOILERS
"No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold."

I think the scene lends itself perfectly to a cut to black, to be honest. Just picture BIG ASOS SPOILERS
clawing her face in a fit of madness and rage, crying and/or laughing, with her face and fingers all bloody and then someone takes her by the hair and puts a knife on her throat. Then she says those words, and a "swish" sound is head as the screen cuts to black. Credits.

Oh that's good too. So many options.

suzu

The only things that bugged me was the weird/awkward cut to Beric reviving. I thought there should be some sort of thing to show that magic was happening or something. lol

And Jaime's mumbling. Great scene, but hard to hear everything.

The way Robb executed Karstark was a tad different from the book, right? The scene was still good. (ASOS)
I think it wasn't exactly an easy or clean cut?

GhaleonEB

BIG ASOS SPOILERS

I'm one season behind - I've read ASoS and am working through season 2 of the show now - but I keep tabs on these threads since I know the story. And that's how I imagine that episode playing out. I would mirror the way
a certain death late in season 1 ended an episode.

Trasher

BIG ASOS SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3b7fZIT0nk

AM I RITE?! OR AM I RITE?!

Fey

Banned

asos
I feel like if they include Arya's "death" it'll be just before Robb and Catelyn's deaths or in the tenth episode (with viewers finding out a few scenes later that she isn't dead).
Episode nine should end with Catelyn being killed or just before she's killed, with the screen fading to black as we hear the sound of the blade and/or her screaming or something.

edit asos
I wonder if they'll somehow make it so Arya sees Robb/Cat (or vice versa) at some point to screw the audience even more.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Here's a quote from the other thread. The context of this post is about how the show is using different methods to make Brienne's actress Gwendoline Christie taller than Jaime and other characters. Cause you know she is supposed to be Brienne.

Right, from looking at IMDB pics, she not much taller than jamie. It just made me sad, thinking that there was some pressure to look like anything but "standard" female ideal.

Wut

I wonder what this user would say if they cast someone that looks closer to Brienne in the books with an ugly face and fucked up teeth.

Massa

Jack Gleeson I don't think will ever got proper props for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon. He plays his part so well and people absolutely hate Joffrey, that I think their hate for him gets in the way of any praise for Jack's portrayal of the character.

He really is great. My favorite is the opening scene of season 2.

Sansa: You can't! (kill Sir Dontos)
Joffrey: What did you say?

His delivery was perfect.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jack Gleeson I don't think will ever got proper props for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon. He plays his part so well and people absolutely hate Joffrey, that I think their hate for him gets in the way of any praise for Jack's portrayal of the character.

He plays the role very, very well, but I don't think it requires nearly as much acting talent as other roles. He's an insufferable douchebag. There's no layers to it, no subtlety, just be an asshole.

His biggest problem will be that he looks like he's 12 still.

kirblar

ASOS
"Make an end of it." You know they can't top that.

Hound/Arya will be the first scene of Episode 10, I bet.
ASOS
Considering that the season's likely to end on the twin reveals of Nymeria (she's alive!) and Cat (she's....kinda alive!), that seems very likely. Makes a good way to bookend the episode.

Just realized the significance of Beric/Arya's chat tonight too, in reference to what is to come.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
Considering that the season's likely to end on the twin reveals of Nymeria (she's alive!) and Cat (she's....kinda alive!), that seems very likely. Makes a good way to bookend the episode.

Just realized the significance of Beric/Arya's chat tonight too, in reference to what is to come.

ASOS/AFFC
I'd like them to suck up the actors fee and pay her for Season 4, but only reveal Stoneheart in the last episode of S4, but barring that, I really want them to not reveal her until next season.

I said it before, but I think it was a huge missed opportunity on the book. Reading AFFC, you keep hearing about Lady Stoneheart, but the readers all know who it is. It's not a surprise at the reveal to Brienne at the end of the book. I think if the Lady Stoneheart reveal had been held in the books until the same time Brienne meets her, it would have been wonderful.

exYle

ASOS/AFFC
I'd like them to suck up the actors fee and pay her for Season 4, but only reveal Stoneheart in the last episode of S4, but barring that, I really want them to not reveal her until next season.

I said it before, but I think it was a huge missed opportunity on the book. Reading AFFC, you keep hearing about Lady Stoneheart, but the readers all know who it is. It's not a surprise at the reveal to Brienne at the end of the book. I think if the Lady Stoneheart reveal had been held in the books until the same time Brienne meets her, it would have been wonderful.

Dude, what?
Lady Stoneheart is revealed at the end of Storm of Swords. It's not a shock to the reader because we already met zombie-Cat when she killed those Freys. If she were to disappear until the show's adaption of Feast for Crows, Michelle Fairley would be gone for the entirety of Seasn 4.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dude, what?
Lady Stoneheart is revealed at the end of Storm of Swords. It's not a shock to the reader because we already met zombie-Cat when she killed those Freys. If she were to disappear until the show's adaption of Feast for Crows, Michelle Fairley would be gone for the entirety of Seasn 4.

I don't think that's a bad thing. I just because of the logistics of TV, I don't expect them to wait until Brinenee meets Stoneheart in the series, but I think having a scene in S4, showing Berric find her body and dying for her would be much better than revealing she's alive the episode after she is killed.

And again, I think it was a missed opportunity on the book. in AFFC you hear stories about this band, killing Freys. There are stories of her in King's Landing, Brienne hears about her in her path, and Jamie hears about it in her path. I think it would have been much more exciting a read not to know who this Lady Stoneheart was.

Fey

Banned
ASOS

bleh asos
I really hope they don't bring unCat in until the end of season 4. In the book, you think Cat's dead for several hundred pages, and her being dead just becomes a fact, like Ned and Robert are dead. Her suddenly coming back was a huge WTFFFF moment.
Having her come back at the end of the next season, a whole season after she dies, would be huge.

Massa

So in critics spot trailer for season 3...

ASOS and possible season 3 spoilers
It looks like Melisandre is not only talking to Gendry, but they're both naked. And she says she sees the darkness in him, the darkness that will swallow the dawn.

Any ideas where they're going with this?

It looks like Melisandre is not only talking to Gendry, but they're both naked. And she says she sees the darkness in him, the darkness that will swallow the dawn.

ASOS
Anal sex.

-griffy-

Banned

BIG ASOS SPOILERS
Hmm, perhaps she is gonna seduce and have sex with him, so he can impregnate her with another shadow baby since he has the same "king's blood" in him as Stannis, and his fire isn't "burning low" like Stannis' is? I wonder if perhaps they are going to have a shadow baby kill Balon Greyjoy while Robb bites at the RW and Joffrey at the PW to take out the "false" kings? I don't know.

rar

do you have a link to that trailer?

Massa

BIG ASOS SPOILERS
Hmm, perhaps she is gonna seduce and have sex with him, so he can impregnate her with another shadow baby since he has the same "king's blood" in him as Stannis, and his fire isn't "burning low" like Stannis' is? I wonder if perhaps they are going to have a shadow baby kill Balon Greyjoy while Robb bites at the RW and Joffrey at the PW to take out the "false" kings? I don't know.

A shadow baby makes the most sense, but it'd be weird to have Melisandre kill Balon without her and Stannis having had a single conversation about him. That is if the naked scene is before she gets him back to Dragonstone.

Another trailer has Stannis saying "I want Joffrey dead... I want Robb Stark dead". If the scene is after she gets him to Dragonstone (assuming she will), why have Gendry's baby kill Balon and not one of the other other two?

We know Gendry wants to stay with the Brotherhood, we know that Melisandre is meeting up with the Brotherhood and we have strong reasons to believe she will somehow get Gendry to come along with her. I hope she's not just going to seduce him to come along for the ride.

do you have a link to that trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9kZI0smnw

Iksenpets

Banned
BIG ASOS SPOILERS

AFFC
That would do some pretty serious damage to the Greyjoy plot moving forward. Euron being the one who kills Balon is pretty critical to that.

kirblar

A shadow baby makes the most sense, but it'd be weird to have Melisandre kill Balon without her and Stannis having had a single conversation about him. That is if the naked scene is before she gets him back to Dragonstone.

Another trailer has Stannis saying "I want Joffrey dead... I want Robb Stark dead". If the scene is after she gets him to Dragonstone (assuming she will), why have Gendry's baby kill Balon and not one of the other other two?

We know Gendry wants to stay with the Brotherhood, we know that Melisandre is meeting up with the Brotherhood and we have strong reasons to believe she will somehow get Gendry to come along with her. I hope she's not just going to seduce him to come along for the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9kZI0smnw
Stannis already said that line.

exYle

I don't think that's a bad thing. I just because of the logistics of TV, I don't expect them to wait until Brinenee meets Stoneheart in the series, but I think having a scene in S4, showing Berric find her body and dying for her would be much better than revealing she's alive the episode after she is killed.

And again, I think it was a missed opportunity on the book. in AFFC you hear stories about this band, killing Freys. There are stories of her in King's Landing, Brienne hears about her in her path, and Jamie hears about it in her path. I think it would have been much more exciting a read not to know who this Lady Stoneheart was.

I agree that the Stoneheart should be held off until the end of Season 4, which allows them 10 episodes to build up fear and rumours of this new fabled leader of the BwB. But there's no way they can hold off her reveal for when Brienne encounters her, which may very well be Season 6.

Magnus

In reference to just the show:

When Selyse says "[Melisandre] gave you a son," who is she referring to? Is it implied Malthas (sp?) who died at Blackwater was Mel's?

I'd assumed Mel only came to Stannis recently (within the last year or so).

Hazmat

In reference to just the show:

When Selyse says "[Melisandre] gave you a son," who is she referring to? Is it implied Malthas (sp?) who died at Blackwater was Mel's?

She meant the shadow that killed Renly. And Mathos was Davos's son with his offscreen wife.

Magnus

She meant the shadow that killed Renly. And Mathos was Davos's son with his offscreen wife.

Right. Total brainfart, wow.

So is Selyse just completely oblivious to the fact that the child wasn't a human boy? Or is she just utterly deluded and thinking that the shadow baby qualifies as a son?

Iksenpets

Banned
Yep. Heck, I think AFFC/speculation
he might even be alive.

AFFC
Where are you getting that he's still alive? I haven't heard that one. As for Euron ordering the murder, it would be a pretty major fake out if that's not the case. The vision that that one woman tells to Arya and Beric pins it on a man with no face and a crow with one eye, the crow's eye being Euron's personal symbol and the faceless man being the assassin he hired. Plus there's just that fact that he returns from exile the day after it happens. He had to somehow be aware that it was going down.

Hazmat

Right. Total brainfart, wow.

So is Selyse just completely oblivious to the fact that the child wasn't a human boy? Or is she just utterly deluded and thinking that the shadow baby qualifies as a son?

I think she's so into the red god that she's totally ok with her husband having sex with Melisandre and fathering some kind of monster.

Magnus

I think she's so into the red god that she's totally ok with her husband having sex with Melisandre and fathering some kind of monster.

I understand all that, I suppose. I'm just at a loss as to how it equates to Mel "giving him a son."

cj_iwakura

AFFC
Where are you getting that he's still alive? I haven't heard that one. As for Euron ordering the murder, it would be a pretty major fake out if that's not the case. The vision that that one woman tells to Arya and Beric pins it on a man with no face and a crow with one eye, the crow's eye being Euron's personal symbol and the faceless man being the assassin he hired. Plus there's just that fact that he returns from exile the day after it happens. He had to somehow be aware that it was going down.

This is GRRM. No body, no death.

Subitai

This is GRRM. No body, no death.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. However, knowing him, he might go another direction when we really don't expect it. Like we'll find out his body was used in some ritual for his gods that will bring to life something only his life-force could generate. I feel bad, but not disappointed the show is predictably struggling to maintain the links of the Greyjoy storyline.
Good god. Came in here to read and talk about the new season and it's just pages and pages of spoiler posts from the book.

:/
There is so much yet to be spoiled! So so much...

How far are you in the books?

jett

D-Member

I've said forever that it should be this. But the show is so bland in the way it's directed and edited that I don't see them doing this at all.

-griffy-

Banned
I understand all that, I suppose. I'm just at a loss as to how it equates to Mel "giving him a son."
Doesn't Stannis refer to it as something similar earlier in the season? When Mel is leaving he says something like "Give me another son," and she says is flame is burning too low. Mel has apparently told Selyse everything, so she presumably told her she gave Stannis a "son" who killed the false king Renly, and Selyse is very happy about that.

Dany

Banned
I've said forever that it should be this. But the show is so bland in the way it's directed and edited that I don't see them doing this at all.

Jamie getting his hand chopped off as the stinger (or whatever its called) was great direction and editing.

-griffy-

Banned
Jamie getting his hand chopped off as the stinger (or whatever its called) was great direction and editing.
Yeah I don't get that comment at all. It's not often obvious and showy direction but its never poor, and more often than not is very good. Certainly better than most things on TV. Scenes like the small council musical chairs are text book examples of fantastic direction and editing.

Subitai

Also Ned losing his head.

In general, I think they've done a good job ending episodes in parts of the story that leave you wanting more.

jett

D-Member

The show has its moments, but overall it's a bit duller than it should be. Especially any time there's any action. Eh, who knows, maybe they will end up doing that way. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom