• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibvdLP3umVLd0I.gif

Ptyzk.jpg

Yonafunu

I pictured the Martells as somewhere in between Mediterranean and North-African-looking.
If that makes sense.

Also, I loved AFFC
the Dorne storyline. I also loved the Iron Islands. AFFC is great, and I don't understand why so many people seem to think it's the weakest of the series. Wait, I actually do understand why, but still!

In regards to the Victarion and Euron castings, Stevenson and Purefoy seem mixed up. Euron is the older one. The line of succession is Balon-Euron-Victarion-Aeron. Purefoy is too young, especially compared to Patrick Malahide (Balon).
The Damphair has already appeared in the show, so I don't think they'll cut him. Even though his actor looked wrong.

Trasher

I always thought of North Africa, e.g. Morocco.

Yeah I guess I just associated everything across the Narrow Sea as Africa/Middle East'ish for whatever reason.

Does GRRM also describe Dorne people to have almond eyes? Or is that just the Dothraki?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always saw Dorne as being something more explicitly Middle Eastern or perhaps Morocco.

devilhawk

AFfC is much better for tv adaption than ADwD because of ADwD
of Mereen. I hope they cut a ton of characters and rename the others. No one will be able to remember the dozens of obscure, hard to pronounce names.

The Series
Dorne and Iron islands storyline will work well for tv. Mereen worries me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just finally watched the episode.

Holy shit at the audio for the fight scene at the beginning. If you have a competent sound system or a beastly one like me the sound in that scene was fucking crazy.

Ygritte was hot. Are people fucking blind here?

Jaime's scene with Brienne in the bath was great. I'm glad they had him explain why he killed the Mad King.

WTF at the Greyscale on Shireen's face. I thought it was supposed to be only partially over her face, not nearly half of her face.

Loras isn't gay, he's a Renlysexual. I maintain that book Loras is celibate after Renly's death.

lololol at Tywin yelling at Cersei at the end.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AFfC is much better for tv adaption than ADwD because of ADwD
of Mereen. I hope they cut a ton of characters and rename the others. No one will be able to remember the dozens of obscure, hard to pronounce names.

The Series
Dorne and Iron islands storyline will work well for tv. Mereen worries me.

Except SERIES
Mereen has the greatest moment in the entire series. Jumping on the back of Drogon and flying away amid spears and everything? Holy shit.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You guys are crazy, [AFFC]
when they cast Morena Baccarin as Arianne Martell and we see her in her sex scenes with Oakheart everyone will fall in love with her and be happy.
[/wish]

Dany

Banned
The scene in the bathhouse with Brience and Jamie was mesmerizing. I couldn't stop looking at the water dance.

desh

You guys are crazy, [AFFC]
when they cast Morena Baccarin as Arianne Martell and we see her in her sex scenes with Oakheart everyone will fall in love with her and be happy.
[/wish]
I would also be happy with
Emanuelle Chriqui

Just finally watched the episode.

Holy shit at the audio for the fight scene at the beginning. If you have a competent sound system or a beastly one like me the sound in that scene was fucking crazy.

Jaime's scene with Brienne in the bath was great. I'm glad they had him explain why he killed the Mad King.

WTF at the Greyscale on Shireen's face. I thought it was supposed to be only partially over her face, not nearly half of her face.

Loras isn't gay, he's a Renlysexual. I maintain that book Loras is celibate after Renly's death.

lololol at Tywin yelling at Cersei at the end.

Abso-friggin-lutely. Everytime Beric's flaming sword came near the camera my subwoofer was roaring in approval. Awesome scene - can't wait for the Master Audio rip on the blu.

Trojita

Abso-friggin-lutely. Everytime Beric's flaming sword came near the camera my subwoofer was roaring in approval. Awesome scene - can't wait for the Master Audio rip on the blu.

Hell YEAH man! The flames coming through the surrounds was crazy as well.

Altazor

Except SERIES
Mereen has the greatest moment in the entire series. Jumping on the back of Drogon and flying away amid spears and everything? Holy shit.

yes but [ADWD spoilers]
we had to endure hundreds of pages about Daaaaaaaaaaario~ and some no-personality fuckers with similar names and Dany's complete inability to rule before we get to that point. Hey, at least Barristan's chapters are good - probably the best out of that Meereen plotline. Hope they edit and condense the shit out of it for the TV show.

Wtf, people didn't think so? smh at sharpkneegaf.

I can't believe this season is half-way over already. My boyfriend is getting mad that we can't just start a new episode right after one ends (we watched the first two seasons on Blu-Ray as they came out)

I've been watching it alone, since my boyfriend wants to wait until every episode is out and he can watch em all in one go :p

Fey

Banned
Speaking of ASOS
Dany and her love life, I wonder when or if they'll include Jorah and her making out. Maybe they're building to it, like Jorah's increasing obsession with ensuring Dany sees him above Barristan drives him into kissing her.

Atsumi

Speaking of ASOS
Dany and her love life, I wonder when or if they'll include Jorah and her making out. Maybe they're building to it, like Jorah's increasing obsession with ensuring Dany sees him above Barristan drives him into kissing her.

I'm pretty pumped for that scene, tbh. [ASOS]
Too bad she gets squicked out and feels above him more-so after that. I'm definitely not looking forward to him leaving.

desh

You should go through each of the threads. It was bad.

I feel that a lot of GAF seems to overcompensate on the whole skinny = beautiful that our society espouses. While I agree that lots of magazines and models portray an unrealistic body for most girls, it doesn't mean that all skinny women are somehow disgusting.

I wonder how they are going to stretch out Dany's ark. ASOS
She has only two cities to free and a whole season and a half to do that.

Next season will be interesting for that. (Series)
They'll be going up through the end of Yunkai this season, so next season just leaves her marching on Mereen, sieging it, and capturing the city. We'll probably get the introduction of Brown Ben, and there will be opportunities for them to give us some extra scenes with him, Daario, Barristan, etc, but there's not going to be a whole lot for her to do. We'll probably get the Daario romance starting a little earlier, and some Jorah/Daario conflict to pad things out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I usually find these kinda meh, but this one was great. I LOLed so hard at Jaime posting the Snopes link. And Bolton trolling Jaime with smileys.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, someone needs to make a list of all-time worst burns ever spoken on this show.

I'm partial to

Robert/Cercei

*slaps Cercei*

"I'll wear this like a badge of honor."

"You'll wear it in silence or I'll honor you again."

Trojita

I like that they showed the part about Jon being an expert muff diver that was in the books.

lol nice.

I always loved the moment in I think The Pointy End (108) when Tyrion gets to Tywin's camp, and they discuss the recent news and Robb comes up, and Tyrion says "you'd like him". It's sort of delivered sarcastically, and Tywin gives his a look that only Tywin musters, but Tyrion isn't really joking.

Burli

Pringo
I don't think anyone is saying that she didn't look appropriate for the scene...she looks perfect in the show. But don't come in here saying her body actually looks GOOD; she looks like she hasn't eaten for two weeks.

When did I say it looked good?

Burli

Pringo
She does though.

Considering the location and circumstances in the show (freezing cold, no food, little rest) if I were Jon Snow I would definitely get a boner and not question the quality of her bod. If she were my girlfriend in the real world I would be begging her to eat something. When she bends forward you can see the shape of every single rib in her back. I'm sorry but if you promote this as beautiful you're treading a very thin line in terms of glorifying health issues such as anorexia, she may naturally be that thin but when women fall below a certain percentage of body fat it can get very dangerous for their organs/circulation/nutrition etc.

Anyway this has already been discussed, moving on..

Just finished AFFC and I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can explain to me (AFFC)
What is Pate's significance? I thought he died in the prologue? Was it a resurrection or was he replaced by the "alchemist" (who may be a faceless man? is it Jaqen?)

More AFFC
Gotta say after hearing so much about people disliking the book, I actually really enjoyed it. I feel like so much happens in ASOS that we really did need an entire book to deal with the aftermath and I'm glad GRRM took his time establishing the new characters. I understand that the AFFC/ADWD split must have been frustrating after waiting so long after ASOS, but reading books 3 and 4 in a short time after another helped me appreciate it more I think.

Thanks.

Just finished AFFC and I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can explain to me (AFFC)
What is Pate's significance? I thought he died in the prologue? Was it a resurrection or was he replaced by the "alchemist" (who may be a faceless man?)

More AFFC
Gotta say after hearing so much about people disliking the book, I actually really enjoyed it. I feel like so much happens in ASOS that we really did need an entire book to deal with the aftermath and I'm glad GRRM took his time establishing the new characters. I understand that the AFFC/ADWD split must have been frustrating after waiting so long after ASOS, but reading books 3 and 4 in a short time after another helped me appreciate it more I think.

Thanks.

AFFC
Pate is dead, and was killed by a Faceless Man (the group Arya is now with). And there's more to the assassin, I'll put it in a separate spoiler box if you really want to know.

MORE AFFC spoilers
The assassin that killed Pate was likely Arya's old friend Jaqen. The description of the alchemist is very similar to the description of how Jaqen was depicted after his change in ACOK. So Jaqen is now chilling in the Citadel as Pate.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What is Pate's significance? I thought he died in the prologue? Was it a resurrection or was he replaced by the "alchemist" (who may be a faceless man?)

More AFFC

Thanks.

AFFC
It's assumed that Pate is an impostor, with some theories out there regarding his true identity.

AFFC
Cool thanks. After re-reading the prologue the description of the Alchemist is very similar or may even be identical to how Jaqen was described when he left Arya. Interesting, I guess Pate himself isn't that important, the significance is that a faceless man has infiltrated the citadel under his guise.

AFFC/ADWD
I can see the Dorne plot working well in seasons 5 and 6. If Arianne goes to Kings Landing with Oberyn, witnesses his death, and comes back to Dorne angry it sets everything up nicely. She'll fight with her father over his inaction then plot to make Dorne enter the war by crowning Myrcella at the same time we're seeing Doran's plans through discussions with Areo and information relayed in Quentyn scenes. I think the biggest problem with Dorne in AFFC is it didn't feel important until the very end when Doran laid his cards on the table.

As for the Iron Islands, that story is fine as long as they cut down on the Damphair scenes. Euron and Victarion are both fucking awesome.

AFFC/ADWD again
Obviously the scale of AFFC/ADWD made it impossible to put out in one book but I think splitting it the way he did created a lot of issues. If it had been split so the Iron Islands, Dorne, and Essos were in one book and concluded with the battle of Mereen and King's Landing and the North were one book and concluded with the battle for Winterfell the books would have been much better received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom