• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASOS:
I think some show viewers are going to say the show is predictable after Robb's death, even if they never saw the Red Wedding coming, because of Ned dying first and then Robb.

[ASoS MAJOR spoilers]
Maybe. The thing for me with the RW, is that its not just Robb getting taken out but also Cat. I think a lot of people can see the writing on the wall that Robb isn't doing too hot and the Frey's might be pissed with him. That's more or less the same as the books set things up- losing Karstark's support, having him ominously name an heir before going to the Twins, Grey Wind acting strange and leaving him behind and so forth. But the books do a decent job of having Robb plan the attack on Moat Cailan after the wedding, like the show is seemingly setting up his attack on Casterly Rock. In the book, that made me think the ominous foreshadowing regarding going to meet Frey and the Wedding was possibly a red herring.

So, the shock from the RW isn't just that Robb gets killed. Its that he is brutally killed and dies a pretty slow death- peppered by crossbow bolts then stabbed with his mother watching him slowly die only to be stabbed through the chest. Coupled with Robb's other people getting cut down- Dacey taking an axe to the gut, the Smalljon fighting guys off with a leg of lamb only to be decapitated. Its just madness. Its not some stealthy assassination by poisoning or some limited hit on Robb. Its just slaughter. And then Cat dying was the most shocking thing for me since she is somewhat of a bystander- and her POV death in the books is equally as brutal, what with her killing Jinglebell out of desperation and mentally snapping and clawing at her face, getting her throat slit and so forth. Add in how her body is dumped in the river and Robd decapitated and Grey Wind's head sown on. That's disgusting and brutal waaaaay beyond Ned's death. Who knows if the show goes that far though.

The RW puts you in a pretty negative mood, but I do feel like things balanced out once the Purple Wedding occurs and then Tywin takes a dump at the end. But its also great that the book leaves that up in the air for a while to sweat over whether any Lannisters will get their comeuppance.

I do wonder how they're going to have Talisa factor into the RW. Will they leave her behind like Jeyne in the books, so Robb doesn't offend Frey? Or will they come up with some reason for Robb to bring her along?

[ASoS MAJOR spoilers]
I do wonder how they're going to have Talisa factor into the RW. Will they leave her behind like Jeyne in the books, so Robb doesn't offend Frey? Or will they come up with some reason for Robb to bring her along?

ASOS:
She's a goner. There's some screenshots from preview trailers of them at what looks like the Twins. Even if there's some out-there twist where she's been secretly working with the Lannisters all along or something, I don't think she's surviving at all.

ASoS MAJOR spoilers

MORE ASOS MAJOR SPOILERS
I thought I read somewhere that they were even going to show Robb's body with Grey Wind's head sewn on instead of just talking about it like in the book. I think they are going to go all out with this and really shock the viewership as much as they need to. This needs to make a big impact and be one of the most pivotal moments of recent TV. Who knows if they'll go so far as to show them dumping Cat's naked and butchered body into the river. That was indeed disgusting and brutal.

Because they replaced the Westerlings with Talisa, they will probably kill her off at the wedding or take her captive or something. Despite the character's importance she's been pretty minor so far and that usually means the actor and character won't be sticking around for long.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Book Stannis
The definition of Lawful Neutral
Great humor
Not an adulterer
Wife is crazy devoted to The Lord of Light, but not Alien test tube baby crazy
His homebase Dragonstone is the original homebase of the Targaryens and is pretty cool

Show Stannis
Adulterer
Not the definition of Lawful Neutral
Has no humor
Wife is Alien test tube baby crazy
Show Dragonstone's accommodations look like a peasant's hovel.

Book Stannis
Great humor
Not an adulterer
His homebase Dragonstone is the original homebase of the Targaryens and is pretty cool

Show Stannis
Adulterer
Has no humor

Indeed, show Stannis is a really odd character and it's going to make his later scenes(all books spoilers)
on the wall with Jon Snow a lot different. Despite all the concerns about his Lord of Light business, book Stannis still has an air of legitimacy around him as being the rightful king and Jon clearly struggles with that. Show Stannis just comes off as a brainwashed douchebag who doesn't, at least very stubbornly, have the security of the realm as a major concern.

ZeroRay

Book Stannis
Great humor
Not an adulterer

Show Stannis
Adulterer
Has no humor

ADWD
Mel's chapter hints otherwise.

Trojita

Indeed, show Stannis is a really odd character and it's going to make his later scenes(all books spoilers)
on the wall with Jon Snow a lot different. Despite all the concerns about his Lord of Light business, book Stannis still has an air of legitimacy around him as being the rightful king and Jon clearly struggles with that. Show Stannis just comes off as a brainwashed douchebag who doesn't, at least very stubbornly, have the security of the realm as a major concern.

Show Stannis to be honest acts like a little kid whiny that is constantly told by his mother that something belongs to him.

Ikael

[ASoS]
Think that's Yunkai, not Meereen. The liberation of Meereen is near the end of ASoS, so that'll probably happen in S4.

I wonder if the Jorah betrayal reveal will happen this season or not. They've hinted at it the last episode so it might happen this season.

I dunno, my memory is sketchy in that regard [ASoS]
I tought that the Mysha title is given to her during the liberation of Meeren. Still, I am of the opinion that it would be better for Danerys ADWD storyline to be told in the next season, in order to dilute its utter boredom in the awesomeness that was ASOS's second act. Not to mention that the viewers will need a cathartic moment of compensation after the Red Wedding.

Yeah. [ASoS]
I thought the Edmure marriage offer would soothe the insult to Frey somewhat, since he'd be grandfather to the Lord of Riverrun, which he always wanted. Heh.

...Heh.

[ASoS]
I was always like "ok, now Lord Frey will troll them massively with some kind of petty, symbolic, silly nasty prank to feed his ego". And yep, what a prank it was, Jesus fuck. The series watcher tears will be glorious and we all shall rejoice and bathe in them.

tumblr_m2ouibFZjD1qd1gj8.jpg

Eidan

Book Stannis
Great humor
Not an adulterer

Show Stannis
Adulterer
Has no humor

Here we go again.

- It's implied that Stannis and Melisandre banged in the books, so both are adulterers.
- I'm not sure why you think one Stannis is funny, while the other is not.
- What makes show Stannis not "Lawful Neutral"?
- Selyse is a religious nut in both the show and the book. I'm not sure why you're acting like the tube babies is some kind of game changer.
- Dragonstone in the show looks foreign, cold, and foreboding. I think they've done a good job.

As I've said before, pretty much every scene of Stannis we've had has been fairly faithful to the book's version. I'm not getting the complaints. At all.

Dysun

Aside from the one scene where he rubs up on Melisandre as she's leaving, show Stannis seems alot like book Stannis to me. /shrug

suzu

The thing that bugged me about tv show Stannis was when he was all up on Melisandre right before she left. That was pretty awkward and didn't seem like something he'd do. lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It helps for those of us that want to discuss ASOS but haven't finished AFFC/ADWD yet.

That is like a super small percentage of the population that's kind of a pain to accomodate because it continually results in inadvertent spoilers in the no-spoiler thread.

The thing that bugs me about tv show Stannis was when he was all up on Melisandre right before she left. That was pretty awkward and didn't seem like something he'd do. lol

It depends how you interpret it - either as Stannis wanting to get sexy time with Melisandre OR as Stannis just wanting more of those shadow assassins.

Eidan

Aside from the one scene where he rubs up on Melisandre as she's leaving, show Stannis seems alot like book Stannis to me. /shrug

It seemed like views of Stannis for some took a 180 after that scene, which itself wasn't really out of character, if you consider his advances are motivated by his desire to use Melisandre's abilities to win the throne.

Dany

Banned
The thing that bugged me about tv show Stannis was when he was all up on Melisandre right before she left. That was pretty awkward and didn't seem like something he'd do. lol

Yeah, they are taking far more liberties with Stannis than I'd like. Though from what I recall he was very plain and boring from the books. Like, he was never a favorite of mine.

Can anyone quote the passage that makes it seem like book Stannis had sex with Melisandre?

I think illusions to him sleeping with the red priestess was made in the fifth book. I'd be lost to know where it would be at in that massive tome. :p

Reyne

Well, at least, judging by the last episode, show Stannis is still honest to a fault.

I rather liked his interaction with Shireen.

"Did you win?"
"No."

"Ser Davos is a traitor." and then looking as if might have been too blunt, only to follow up with "Best forget him."

Book spoilers
Thing is, in the books we only saw Stannis through the POV of Cressen, Davos and Jon and Asha, I think. They are showing another side of Stannis in the show which we more or less never saw, though some of it is implied, like Stannis having sex with Melisandre.
I think there is still room for book Stannis to show himself once he starts interacting with Davos properly again. And Stannis at the wall interacting with Jon is definitely some of his best moments in the books.

Eidan

Can someone point out some examples where Stannis deviated greatly from the book version? So many people seem to agree that the show has taken liberties with him, but I'm really not seeing it.

Trojita

ADWD
Melisandre remarks that her bed hasn't seen much use since Stannis left the Wall

ADWD
Isn't this the part where she hasn't gotten any sleep at all in the last few days? I think you guys are really looking too much into things.

Eidan

ADWD
Isn't this the part where she hasn't gotten any sleep at all in the last few days. I think you guys are really looking too much into things.

You're the first person I've ever come across that doesn't believe Stannis and Melisandre fucked to make the shadow babies.

Trojita

So the evidence favoring Stannis sleeping with her is Davos learning that Stannis has been having terrible nightmares, and that only Lady Melisandre can soothe him to sleep and the fact that the Shadows come out of Melisandre's womb.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can anyone quote the passage that makes it seem like book Stannis had sex with Melisandre?

ASOS
Melisandre explicitly discusses the shadow assassins with Davos while he is imprisoned and she tells him that she can't make more with Stannis because it drew off his lifeforce, but that she could make more with Davos if he came up to her bedchamber one night and she gave him "pleasure such [he] has never known."

Where are you guys even coming up with this stuff to begin with? Is there anything in the book to really explicitly say that this happens?

Edit: Oh perhaps I am wrong.

ASOS
Melisandre explicity tells Davos in A Storm of Swords that the shadow assassin's are "given birth by light." And that after birthing two of them, Stannis' fires burn low. She even tells Davos that she can make more with another man and that his fires are burning high. That is why people refer to them as Shadow Babies, from even before it became clear that they were created through intercourse.

After the first one kills Renly Davos notices that Stannis appears to have aged considerably. And he clearly recognizes Stannis' face in the visage of the shadow assassin that killed Cornray Penrose.

Shit, beaten.

Eidan

Where are you guys even coming up with this stuff to begin with? Is there anything in the book to really explicitly say that this happens?

Well besides the woman becoming pregnant, and birthing a demon child that's in the image of Stannis, I took her line in ASOS about Stannis being physically incapable of making them. I believe she used the "fires are too low" line in the book as well. It seemed like a clear reference to Stannis not being much a titan between the sheets, and that this particular task was very taxing on him.

EDIT: Beaten like Stannis on the Blackwater.

Trojita

Well that's disappointing. I always took him for Lawful Neutral to the point that he wouldn't forsake his vows with his queen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's unclear if book-Stannis really realized what he was doing, though. I was under the impression that he was under some sort of trance, and had dreams about the shadow babies but wasn't quite clear on what really happened. Could be wrong, though. But yeah, they did have sex, that's rather plain from Melisandre trying to seduce Davos to do another shadowbaby, and from her thought in ADWD
that "her bed saw little use" since Stannis left, meaning that she doesn't need sleeping and used that bed for sex with the king. Hah.

I think illusions to him sleeping with the red priestess was made in the fifth book. I'd be lost to know where it would be at in that massive tome. :p
Allusions* :p And it'd be in the [ADWD]
one Mel chapter, of course

That is a point of concern for me. Was Stannis fully aware of what he was doing? In the show he tries to make a move on Melisandre and asks her to make more assassins. That did seem out of character to me compared to Book Stannis.

Eidan

It seemed to me that he understood the consequences of what he had done, so I don't think it would be out of character for him to come to her and ask her to do the same with the rest of his enemies.

ASOS
I mean, isn't that essentially what happens with the leeches?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I like how the quotes from the book go so well with the bath scene

First gif is NSFW http://25.media.tumblr.com/954ad46efadb5589af3c2ed4fbd8c7d5/tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o1_r1_500.gif
[IG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/261583cbd5384a94ecc9212f35b3687b/tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o2_250.gif[/IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/853a5021882cf3b7bbe095a4da8d11a7/tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o3_250.gif[/IM]
[MG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/faf3f0d6b88205a0b154af3eb1aa7246/tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o4_500.gif

Can you link to the tumblr? I'd like to see more of these.

ASOS major spoiler
I might be misremembering, but I am surprised by all who say it was clear Robb was doomed one way or another. Sure, losing the Karstarks was a major blow, so was losing Winterfell (though it's not so much a war blow in this case since troops were out) and maybe Edmure's mistake cost them, but from what I remember, we keep being told how much Robb wins battle after battle and pissing off the lanisters. It feels like he has less troops overall but is making it up in terms of both strategy and tactics. At least, it felt he had a decent shot.

Enosh

Yeah, they are taking far more liberties with Stannis than I'd like. Though from what I recall he was very plain and boring from the books. Like, he was never a favorite of mine.
you crazy
Stannis is one of the funniest characters in asoif

series
the conversations with Jon are pure gold
"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing"

some dude: "Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?"
stannis: "Any of you, I would think. Even the cook"

"half my army is made up of non believers, there will be no burnings, pray harder"

but I guess reading that apparently the showrunners don't like Stannis I can safely assume there will be no positive portrayal of him

ASOS major spoiler
I might be misremembering, but I am surprised by all who say it was clear Robb was doomed one way or another. Sure, losing the Karstarks was a major blow, so was losing Winterfell (though it's not so much a war blow in this case since troops were out) and maybe Edmure's mistake cost them, but from what I remember, we keep being told how much Robb wins battle after battle and pissing off the lanisters. It feels like he has less troops overall but is making it up in terms of both strategy and tactics. At least, it felt he had a decent shot.

ASOS

Winning the battles while losing the war! Tywin knew the greater threat was from Stannis and he neutralized that

you crazy
Stannis is one of the funniest characters in asoif

series
the conversations with Jon are pure gold
"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing"

some dude: "Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?"
stannis: "Any of you, I would think. Even the cook"

"half my army is made up of non believers, there will be no burnings, pray harder"

but I guess reading that apparently the showrunners don't like Stannis I can safely assume there will be no positive portrayal of him

is that something they actually said in an interview or something? Stannis is definitely one of my favorite characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom