• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

It going be interesting if ratings will change after
RW event

the whole yet again the "hero" side loses while Joff sits down like a boss and people are meant to hate him

Thanks!

305Greyworm.png

Not how I pictured him. I wonder if the show will make his character bigger than he is in the books.

Dragons, an army, now she has Obama on her side? She's unstoppable.

Friend sends an e-mail saying how terrible and boring this past episode was. I thought it was one of the best this season, personally.

I noticed a couple people saying that on twitter, but overall the response seemed very positive. IMO it was very smart to immediately start the episode with a big action scene, given how dialogue heavy the rest of the episode was.

The only concerning thing I've noticed on twitter is that many people seem rather annoyed or bored when their favorite character isn't on the screen; comments like "Theon scene? Time to wash the dishes lol." Some of that in probably in jest but I do wonder if that bodes ill for later seasons when new main characters are introduced and start taking screen time from the fan favorites. I kind of expect TV viewers to have a similar reaction to that of many book readers for AFFC/ADWD (both of which I loved, personally).

Hystzen please check the OP for how to use spoiler tags so that people don't highlight stuff they didn't want to. Indicate the book/series you're spoiling, etc.

Just saying, "wonder what happens when _____spoilers _____" isn't helpful because nobody knows what kind of thing you're spoiling.

ASOS
Who wants to bet they have Stoneheart talk normal?

[ASoS MAJOR spoilers]
I do wonder how they'll handle Stoneheart, not only visually but just as a character. Cat becoming Stoneheart seems like a big deal yet as a character she really hasn't done much in the books. And she's mostly off screen. I'm guessing the show will give her more to do?

I do wonder how graphic they'll get with her visually, as that could affect how frequently she is on screen. They've already shied away from Tyrion's nose getting chopped off and Beric really doesn't look that banged up compared to how he's described in the books. But how absolutely brutal Stoneheart looks is kind of the tragedy of Cat- from her skin being all nasty from being left to rot in the river for days down to her barely being able to speak since her damn throat was slashed. Its a constant reminder of the RW. But if they try to give Michelle Fairley more to do acting wise as Stoneheart, then I'm going to guess they're not going to slop on tons of makeup on her. Then again, maybe they don't even have Fairley stick around as Stoneheart if she's not going to have a big role and instead go all out on really graphic makeup and prosthetics?

To me, Stoneheart and Beric's constant resurrections are a pretty big deal and representative of how "magic" and supernatural stuff works in Game of Thrones. You can get resurrected but its not some clean, happy thing- you're left in the same state you died and you lose a bit of yourself in the process. At least in the books, I always found that a pretty sad fate for Cat.

I really hope the RW can capture the despair and helplessness Cat feels as everything goes south for Robb and her. That chapter from her POV is brutal to read, especially as she mentally snaps.

pr0cs

It will probably become HBOs highest rated show next season (if not this season), but then once we start hitting the AFFC/ADWD material anything could happen depending on how good the writers are (or hopefully become).

IMO AFFC may lend itself well to TV as opposed to written word if done right. A lot of fluff could be simplified while still be good viewing.

IMO AFFC features Martin's best prose in the series; it's very well written, and poetic at times (such as the septon's monologue about war). And given the King's Landing focus, it'll work perfect on television in many ways. But there are some new characters introduced in the book that I can't imagine audiences caring about. It also has arguably the most boring POV in the entire series.

ADWD's northern stuff alone would make awesome TV, and the
Dany
stuff can be condensed. But again, new characters taking time away from fan favorites...

Eidan

IMO AFFC features Martin's best prose in the series; it's very well written, and poetic at times (such as the septon's monologue about war). And given the King's Landing focus, it'll work perfect on television in many ways. But there are some new characters introduced in the book that I can't imagine audiences caring about. It also has arguably the most boring POV in the entire series.

ADWD's northern stuff alone would make awesome TV, and the Dany stuff can be condensed. But again, new characters taking time away from fan favorites...

Prediction time. AFFC
No one will give a fuck about the Iron Islands, and people will hate Dorne.

RaidenZR

lol seriously. I got several "best GoT episode to date" texts.

----------------------------

Speaking of this show being awesome:
Ratings-midway-S3.jpg

Look at that blue reach for uncharted territory!

How does this compare to Sopranos/Six Feet/Sex and the City in its heyday? Is there data for that?

Eidan

ASOS
Oberyn was fucking awesome in ASOS. Are you high?

ASOS
I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm saying he'll have to be a larger presence in the show than he was in the book. In the same way the show is expanding Margaery's character now, they'd have to expand Oberyn's.

ASOS
I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm saying he'll have to be a larger presence in the show than he was in the book. In the same way the show is expanding Margaery's character now, they'd have to expand Oberyn's.

[AFfC]
I'm guessing they will. What other big new characters will there be to introduce next season besides Oberyn? I guess if they get into some of the AFfC material they might do some stuff with Euron and Victarion (I'm going to guess they cut Damphair)?

[AFfC/ADwD]
As far as how to make Dorne interesting... yeah. I cannot even remember what happened in Dorne in AFfC, besides Doran Martell sitting around having gout in his knees. And all the Sandsnakes and Arianne and some Myrcella getting cut up. Maybe they try to beef up Quentyn as a character and his trip to marry Dany so that his eventual fate has a little more resonance?

Prediction time. AFFC
AFFC speculation
Yup. Victarion MIGHT work just due to how brolic he is, but it's hard to see people giving a shit about the Damphair or a heavy focus on Yara/Asha. Then there's Dorne. Maybe if they cast some handsome dude as Oakheart, and a babe as Arianne...who knows. Still, it's hard to see people wanting that for 10 episodes; I think the general Mrycella plot and Doran's big reveal could be done in 5 episodes.

Brienne's stuff though (worst POV)...good luck with that. Granted it does give us that amazing septon monologue and a Gendry cameo, but I'm not sure people will care. But then again, the show has given Pod lots of material so maybe they're getting ready for it.

Given how great Margery has been plus how solid the King's Landing scenes have been since S1 I think the book's castle intrigue will work perfect. I expect Jaime will become quite popular by the 7th episode of this season (the bear fight), and AFFC will really be his season. Perhaps they can replace Ilyn Payne (since the actor is on his death bed, sadly) with Bronn; that would be interesting.

Moff

Prediction time. AFFC

I really dont know, I am convinced that at least the show watchers will like both more than us readers. I think the ironborn can be pretty badass and both stories (just like danys) could actually be quite ejoayble if they are shorter and spiced up a bit. I can see this happen.

AFFC speculation
Perhaps they can replace Ilyn Payne (since the actor is on his death bed, sadly) with Bronn; that would be interesting.

I like that idea! [AFfC]
Its a shame about Wilko Johnson, but giving Bronn Ilyn Payne's role with Jaime might work. In the sense that Bronn really disappears from the novels pretty quickly. Not sure how that would necessarily work given that some of the Jaime/Payne interactions kind of hinge on Ilyn Payne being a mute, as I recall.

Prediction time. AFFC
AFFC/ADWD
Yeah that's going to be tough sell, especially the Dorne stuff.
How does this compare to Sopranos/Six Feet/Sex and the City in its heyday? Is there data for that?

Thanks to blaine for posting, although I don't think it's that fair to compare initial airing numbers from then and now. The TV landscape is just so different.

Eidan

AFFC speculation
Yup. Victarion MIGHT work just due to how brolic he is, but it's hard to see people giving a shit about the Damphair or a heavy focus on Yara/Asha. Then there's Dorne. Maybe if they cast some handsome dude as Oakheart, and a babe as Arianne...who knows. Still, it's hard to see people wanting that for 10 episodes; I think the general Mrycella plot and Doran's big reveal could be done in 5 episodes.

Brienne's stuff though (worst POV)...good luck with that. Granted it does give us that amazing septon monologue and a Gendry cameo, but I'm not sure people will care. But then again, the show has given Pod lots of material so maybe they're getting ready for it.

Given how great Margery has been plus how solid the King's Landing scenes have been since S1 I think the book's castle intrigue will work perfect. I expect Jaime will become quite popular by the 7th episode of this season (the bear fight), and AFFC will really be his season. Perhaps they can replace Ilyn Payne (since the actor is on his death bed, sadly) with Bronn; that would be interesting.

AFFC
I was actually thinking about what they would do with Illyn Payne. Replacing him with Bronn doesn't sound like an awful idea, though I'm sure many book readers will be upset with a change like that, as there's a specific reason why Jaime chooses Payne.

With Brienne, I like those chapters because they offered a view of life in Westeros besides abject terror from the war. But I don't think we ever need to be introduced to Nimble Dick. Hell, that entire plot can be cut.

Besides a strong emphasis on Oberyn, the only other way to help with Dorne is the casting of Arianne. We need hotness that trumps all others.

I think it's really telling that I've read all the books, and I'm reading all these AFFC spoilers, and constantly going: "who was that again?"

Dysun

AFFC/ADWD
As long as they cast Victarion and Euron right, the Iron Islanders Vikings stuff should go over just fine.
Dorne depends all on how attractive and seductive Arianne ends up

RaidenZR

AFFC/ADWD
Yeah that's going to be tough sell, especially the Dorne stuff.

Thanks to blaine for posting, although I don't think it's that fair to compare initial airing numbers from then and now. The TV landscape is just so different.

I know, and agree. I was just curious as far as HBO's numbers go.

AFFC/ADWD
As long as they cast Victarion and Euron right, the Iron Islanders Vikings stuff should go over just fine.
Dorne depends all on how attractive and seductive Arianne ends up

(AFFC)
Ray Stevenson as Victarion, maybe Ian McShane as Euron. Mcshane might be a little too old for the part but I think he would be great. and Stevenson is just too perfect for Victarion. It's like Sean Bean for Ned or something, they can't not cast him

http://i.imgur.com/EEdt2Hb.png

Iksenpets

Banned
AFFC
The only way I see Dorne working is if Oberyn leaves a strong impression. Stronger than the one he gave in ASOS.

AFFC
That's important, but I think more important will be introducing Arianne early and making sure she's well liked by viewers. Introducing her early so that she comes to King's Landing with Oberyn would ease you more into the Dorne plot, rather than throwing you head first into a setting with no familiar characters.

Iron Islands really should've been played the same way, making Yara likable so that she could anchor that plot, but they went pretty grim with her instead.

AFFC
With Brienne, I like those chapters because they offered a view of life in Westeros besides abject terror from the war. But I don't think we ever need to be introduced to Nimble Dick. Hell, that entire plot can be cut.

Besides a strong emphasis on Oberyn, the only other way to help with Dorne is the casting of Arianne. We need hotness that trumps all others.[/spoiler]

AFFC/ADWD
I enjoyed Brienne's arc too though I'd agree most of it will be skipped. I think the things that they won't cut will be a confrontation with Locke in Shagwell's or maybe even Rorge/Biter's place, the monastery, and the assault on the inn.

As for Dorne there might be a chance they give the Sand Snakes more material too? It seems like they're being set up to do more in the later books.

AFFC
That's important, but I think more important will be introducing Arianne early and making sure she's well liked by viewers. Introducing her early so that she comes to King's Landing with Oberyn would ease you more into the Dorne plot, rather than throwing you head first into a setting with no familiar characters.

Iron Islands really should've been played the same way, making Yara likable so that she could anchor that plot, but they went pretty grim with her instead.

That's a very good idea.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
btw, one thing said in the no books thread made me think. asos/ffc/dwd
is it ever actually explained why they wouldn't be able to resurrect ned? I mean, it's not 100% confirmed yet, but isn't the theory right now that Cersei's champion in her trial by combat is the Mountain's headless body resurrected? and also, Cersei was never promised to wed Loras (or even Willas) in the books, was she? Is Loras already in the Knightsguard in the show, or is him joining the Guard possibly going to be how they avoid having the two marry?

[series]
- R'hllor priests apparently can't revive decapitated people. And it probably doesn't work if the corpse is long decomposed, like Ned's body would be (only his bones remain now).
- Gregor took a long time dying from Oberyn's poison, all whilst Qyburn performed all manners of experiments on him. So his current incarnation as "Robert Strong" is not the same kind of resurrection as those performed by R'hllor's priests, head or no head. And yes, I think it's probably really Gregor's head they sent to Dorne and Robert Strong is some sort of Qyburnstein monster. xD
- Loras is not in the Kingsguard (yet?) on the show. Tywin meant to marry Cersei to a bunch of suitors, his preferred one being Willas as he's the heir to Highgarden. Since the TV canon doesn't have Willas, they replaced this story with Loras. Makes sense. It's also possible that Cersei appoints him to the Kingsguard to avoid marrying him, but then again she resents Margaery and probably wouldn't want her brother to get so close to the royal family... who knows. Maybe she'll ask Littlefinger to do something about Loras, and then his solution will be to suggest to Margaery or Joffrey to have Loras as Kingsguard, whic solves Cersei's problem in a way she might not like. Hah. We'll see.

ASOS
Oberyn was fucking awesome in ASOS. Are you high?

Was gonna say this, lol. But hey, Qhorin Halfhand had about as much screen time and he was kinda ruined on TV (not the actor's fault, he did good). So they need to work harder at making Oberyn at least as awesome as his book counterpart.

Dysun

(AFFC)
Ray Stevenson as Victarion, maybe Ian McShane as Euron. Mcshane might be a little too old for the part but I think he would be great. and Stevenson is just too perfect for Victarion. It's like Sean Bean for Ned or something, they can't not cast him

http://i.imgur.com/EEdt2Hb.png

Perfect Victarion, I'd also be down with Purefoy as Euron but looks like The Following isn't going anywhere.
They should get Oded Fehr to be the Red Viper, you know it's how you imagined it.

Fey

Banned
ASOS/AFFC
Setting up the Martells is going to be one tough job, definitely. Introducing an entire, new and important family in the fourth season? It was already a bit annoying in the books, but I know show watchers who are already having difficulty remembering Jon's name.
It could all be fixed by nailing Oberyn, though, I think. My friend who recently read ASOS absolutely loved him, and said he was more shocked/horrified at his death than he was of anyone else's death in ASOS. And because of this positive view he had of Oberyn, my friend's welcoming the Martells into the story with open arms.
Arianne also needs to be cast perfectly and should be treated similarly to how Margaery has been. After Oberyn's dead, the audience's opinion of the Martells rests almost entirely on her.

btw what do the Martells look like, in terms of real world ethnicity? I've seen people's wishes/predictions of actors to play Oberyn and Arianne and the actors they choose come from like everywhere in the world.

Eidan

AFFC

AFFC
Interesting idea, but I'm trying to remember. Does that interfere at all with the politics involving Clegane, his death, and Doran's revenge? I can't remember the details right now.

Iksenpets

Banned
AFFC
Interesting idea, but I'm trying to remember. Does that interfere at all with the politics involving Clegane, his death, and Doran's revenge? I can't remember the details right now.

AFFC
I don't think so. In the books Oberyn comes to KL with his mistress, dies in the duel, his mistress returns to Dorne with word of what's happened, which agitates Arianne to action in her plot. Seems simple enough to either replace the mistress with Arianne or have them both together.

Also, to the Greyjoy casting comments above, Stevenson and Purefoy really are perfect Victarion and Euron, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Oded Fehr was born to play the Red Viper.
Am I the only one who liked the (minor AFFC)
Dorne plotline
?
AFFC
I really liked the Dorne stuff, especially Doran Martell and Areo Hotah. And I also liked most of the Iron Isles stuff; Victarion has some really great chapters including that ship battle, Euron is very interesting...and I even liked the Damphair overall; the general arc of a religious man fighting against his demagogue brother, while attempting to crown his flawed/sociopathic other brother, was interesting to me.

Also given how great Liam/Davos has been on the show, I wonder if they'll expand his role beyond "guy who gets thrown in jail." Davos is one of my favorite characters, but I'm not sure his arc translates well on screen. Perhaps they could have Stannis leave him in charge of Dragonstone, meaning he'll defend against Loras' siege. Then have him escape and wind up in White Harbor.

suzu

btw what do the Martells look like, in terms of real world ethnicity? I've seen people's wishes/predictions of actors to play Oberyn and Arianne and the actors they choose come from like everywhere in the world.

Depends on where Dornishmen are located in Dorne.. but they (the Martells) are mostly described as having olive skin, dark hair, dark eyes.

Eidan

AFFC
I don't think so. In the books Oberyn comes to KL with his mistress, dies in the duel, his mistress returns to Dorne with word of what's happened, which agitates Arianne to action in her plot. Seems simple enough to either replace the mistress with Arianne or have them both together.

AFFC
Hm, then sending Arianne to King's Landing seems smart to me. The only other question I'd have is if it creates issues with her "Queenmaker" plot...possibly not though. I guess it depends on when Oberyn dies. Arianne would leave shortly thereafter and begin scheming...not sure how Arys would fit into all of that.

As for the Dornish, I always just imagined them as Central/South American/Spanish.

Iksenpets

Banned
AFFC
Hm, then sending Arianne to King's Landing seems smart to me. The only other question I'd have is if it creates issues with her "Queenmaker" plot...possibly not though. I guess it depends on when Oberyn dies. Arianne would leave shortly thereafter and begin scheming...not sure how Arys would fit into all of that.

As for the Dornish, I always just imagined them as Central/South American/Spanish.

AFFC
I imagine it as Oberyn dying late season four, like episode 8 or so, Arianne leaving in the finale, and the arriving in Dorne in episode 1 or 2 of season 5.

And I always envisioned the Dornish as Greek or Spaniard. Olive, but not brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom