• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

you crazy
Stannis is one of the funniest characters in asoif

series
the conversations with Jon are pure gold
"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing"

some dude: "Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?"
stannis: "Any of you, I would think. Even the cook"

"half my army is made up of non believers, there will be no burnings, pray harder"

but I guess reading that apparently the showrunners don't like Stannis I can safely assume there will be no positive portrayal of him

He really doesn't get enough love
"Without a son of Winterfell to stand beside me, I can only hope to win the north by battle. That requires stealing a leaf from my brother's book. Not that Robert ever read one."

"Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them cold clear water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes."

"Weddings have become more perilous than battles, it would seem."

Renly: "You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid."
Stannis: "In your bed she's like to die that way."

Jon: "The freefolk despise kneelers. . . Let them keep their pride and they will love you better."
Stannis: "It is swords I need from them, not kisses."

“Joffrey shall die,” Queen Selyse declared, serene in her confidence.
“It may be that he is dead already,” Ser Axell added.
Stannis looked at them with annoyance. “Are you trained crows, to croak at me in turns? Enough.”

Davos: I do not know this Lord of Light, but I knew the gods we burned this morning. The Smith has kept my ships safe, while the Mother has given me seven strong sons.
Stannis: Your wife has given you seven strong sons. Do you pray to her? It was wood we burned this morning

“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.
The One True King

Stannis is one of those surprise characters. At least for me. He's not someone you enjoy the first time thorough. But on subsequent readings you really appreciate him.

The show has done well with the casting, hopefully they do him justice.

ASOS
"I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." This line alone makes him more worthy to the throne than anyone else. Hopefully they have it on the show.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
you crazy
Stannis is one of the funniest characters in asoif

Yes! I've been saying that for a while now, but people think I'm crazy or something.

Stannis's dry wit is awesome. And you are correct, the showrunners don't like him and consider him a villain. They're kind of idiots at times.

cj_iwakura

Yes! I've been saying that for a while now, but people think I'm crazy or something.

Stannis's dry wit is awesome. And you are correct, the showrunners don't like him and consider him a villain. They're kind of idiots at times.

They gave him a lot of calm moments in the last episode for someone they consider a villain. I really don't think they're that short sighted.

Jeels

So the evidence favoring Stannis sleeping with her is Davos learning that Stannis has been having terrible nightmares, and that only Lady Melisandre can soothe him to sleep and the fact that the Shadows come out of Melisandre's womb.

Stannis is also described as looking visibly ghastly after those babies are created.

Iksenpets

Banned
They gave him a lot of calm moments in the last episode for someone they consider a villain. I really don't think they're that short sighted.

My hope is that they're just ASOS
trying to make his turn from Blackwater-era Stannis to Wall-era Stannis more dramatic. I hope. :(

I like how the quotes from the book go so well with the bath scene

First gif is NSFW http://25.media.tumblr.com/954ad46efadb5589af3c2ed4fbd8c7d5/tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o1_r1_500.gif
tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o2_250.gif
tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o3_250.gif

tumblr_mm7tl13pup1rskuz9o4_500.gif

Probably deliberate considering that nikolaj actually reads books.

Can someone explain to me the whole, "I marry you to you and we win" thing. No book spoilers please. I just don't get how setting up a marriage between two families automatically make the oppressed family just give up.

Iksenpets

Banned
Can someone explain to me the whole, "I marry you to you and we win" thing. No book spoilers please. I just don't get how setting up a marriage between two families automatically make the oppressed family just give up.

You marry into their family and have a kid and then the heir to their kingdom is your grandson. When that kid inherits, they're unlikely to ever go to war with you, their family, especially because killing family members is highly taboo (see Karstark pointing out that he and Robb are distant kin before Robb executes him to try to shame him).

You marry into their family and have a kid and then the heir to their kingdom is your grandson. When that kid inherits, they're unlikely to ever go to war with you, their family, especially because killing family members is highly taboo (see Karstark pointing out that he and Robb are distant kin before Robb executes him to try to shame him).

That make a lot more sense. I didn't even think of the grandchild aspect, thanks. I still don't understand why the other family, lets say Starks with the case of Sansa, would allow the whole plan to happen in the first place and why her people wouldn't just immediately rebel.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Aside from marrying for alliances (like they're doing with Jeoffrey and Margary), marriage also gives them a claim. As far as King's Landing, and others know, Bran and Rickon are dead. Tywin is at war with Robb. This would make Sansa, and by extension her husband, the heir to Winterfell should Tywin be victorious. Same thing for the Tyrells, they are looking past the war, and Sansa is the key.

The thing that Martin does is that he puts his character in a bad situation, and then seeming gives them a way out of it, which triggers your "ok the character is safe for now" emotion due to familiarity with other stories where the author gives the protagonist a way out, and then he pulls the rug from out under you by having the way out somehow blow up in your face. It makes it a real gut punch because emotionally you're already at the place where you think the protagonists is going to get out of it.

Example 1: Ned was doomed in the black cells, but is offered a way to take the Black if he confesses to treason, and you see him confessing to treason through Arya's eyes, and you think to yourself Ned is going to make it, then Joffrey out of nowhere orders the execution anyway.

Example 2: ASOS
Robb screw up majorly with the Freys, but then the Frey's offers a reconcilation with Edmure as substitute and Robb apologizing in person. So you are lured into believing that Robb has appeased Walder Frey, but then the RW and everyone gets killed.

Example 3: ASOS
Tyrion is doomed in his trial, then the Red Viper offers toi fight the mountain on his behalf, and miraculously the Red Viper is winning, as just about to kill the Mountain and get Tyrion off the hook, the one slip up and suddenly the Red Viper is dead and Tyrion is guilty.

TCRS

Banned
Probably deliberate considering that nikolaj actually reads books.

I don't think anyone has read the books except Kit Harrington. In the case of Maisie her mom reads the books and tells her about Arya, Sophie Turner (Sansa) and Michelle Fairley only read their chapters. The others on the Emmy panel amitted that they haven't read it at all (the Others take them)..

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't think anyone has read the books except Kit Harrington. In the case of Maisie her mom reads the books and tells her about Arya, Sophie Turner (Sansa) and Michelle Fairley only read their chapters. The others on the Emmy panel amitted that they haven't read it at all (the Others take them)..

I think he mentioned on Jimmy Kimmel that he reads up to the current season's book.

Tacitus_

That make a lot more sense. I didn't even think of the grandchild aspect, thanks. I still don't understand why the other family, lets say Starks with the case of Sansa, would allow the whole plan to happen in the first place and why her people wouldn't just immediately rebel.

Well for Starks, the plan only works if Robb is dead. So no opposition from him. Bran and Rickon are believed to be dead, so no opposition from them (though their claim would outrank Sansas). Jon is a bastard and the Men of the Watch can't inherit anyway. That leaves Arya and Sansas claim would outrank her since she's older. The smallfolk would complain, but very few would rise against their lords.

cj_iwakura

Well for Starks, the plan only works if Robb is dead. So no opposition from him. Bran and Rickon are believed to be dead, so no opposition from them (though their claim would outrank Sansas). Jon is a bastard and the Men of the Watch can't inherit anyway. That leaves Arya and Sansas claim would outrank her since she's older. The smallfolk would complain, but very few would rise against their lords.

ASOS
And Tywin certainly put plans in motion for that to happen.

TCRS

Banned
Just watched last weeks episode again. So good. That Patchface song in the end, so creepy.

And the scene with Littlefinger and Cersei, the way Littlefinger glances at the guards, probably remembering Cersei's "power is power" line lol.

Also, Loras is not really the heir to Highgarden is he?

Burt

The thing that Martin does is that he puts his character in a bad situation, and then seeming gives them a way out of it, which triggers your "ok the character is safe for now" emotion due to familiarity with other stories where the author gives the protagonist a way out, and then he pulls the rug from out under you by having the way out somehow blow up in your face. It makes it a real gut punch because emotionally you're already at the place where you think the protagonists is going to get out of it.

Example 1: Ned was doomed in the black cells, but is offered a way to take the Black if he confesses to treason, and you see him confessing to treason through Arya's eyes, and you think to yourself Ned is going to make it, then Joffrey out of nowhere orders the execution anyway.

Example 2: ASOS
Robb screw up majorly with the Freys, but then the Frey's offers a reconcilation with Edmure as substitute and Robb apologizing in person. So you are lured into believing that Robb has appeased Walder Frey, but then the RW and everyone gets killed.

Example 3: ASOS
Tyrion is doomed in his trial, then the Red Viper offers toi fight the mountain on his behalf, and miraculously the Red Viper is winning, as just about to kill the Mountain and get Tyrion off the hook, the one slip up and suddenly the Red Viper is dead and Tyrion is guilty.

Don't forget Arya and Gendry going to Winter fell/the wall to be safe, and a few other ones I just don't feel like having to spoiler tag right now.

Vashetti

Banned

Seems weird that they haven't read it. If I got a role like that I would read them multiple times. It would only help my performance.

I know that on the sets of Harry Potter and LOTR they carried the books around like bibles, constantly referring to them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seems weird that they haven't read it. If I got a role like that I would read them multiple times. It would only help my performance.

I know that on the sets of Harry Potter and LOTR they carried the books around like bibles, constantly referring to them.

Few of the actors in Harry Potter also got inside info on their characters from Rowling with a bunch of stuff from the then-not-released books. Especially Alan Rickman.

Dany

Banned

A good script would be all the material the actor would need to embody the character.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A good script would be all the material the actor would need to embody the character.

I don't think that's true. Again, looking at Harry Potter, if you watch the first scene with Harry in the Great Hall when Snape looks at him, you see the emotions that you learn about in the final book, not the explanation given in the first. Because Alan Rickman was told more than the script called for.

If a script was all an actor needed then directors wouldn't make much of a difference, and we know they do.

In truth, with a good enough director an actor doesn't need to read the books.

tauroxd

Well, I for one think that they should read the books because the "soul" of their characthers lies in them, they are going to give a body to that soul, so it couldn't be bad to know about it.

And the HP example is perfect, what other way to know all about your character than to see all about it, even information about books that are not released yet.

-griffy-

Banned
As an actor working on an adaptation, it makes as much or more sense to just go by what's in the scripts, and work out any necessary background with the showrunners themselves. Especially because of the differences between show canon and book canon. It could be dangerous knowing the fate of your character in future books and unconsciously coloring your performance.

I don't think that's true. Again, looking at Harry Potter, if you watch the first scene with Harry in the Great Hall when Snape looks at him, you see the emotions that you learn about in the final book, not the explanation given in the first. Because Alan Rickman was told more than the script called for.

All that takes is one sentence of direction from a director to get the proper emotion on screen.

EDIT: I also think it's a mistake to assume that just because an actor hadn't read the books means that they are ignorant of their character. It's common for the actors and director/showrunner to flesh out their characters beyond what's in the script, to create a proper background to work on. And in this case that likely means a lot of stuff that's on the page in the books. So just because they didn't literally read the book doesn't mean they don't have the relevant info to draw upon for the scene they are performing.

-griffy-

Banned
But in that films case that director was Chris Columbus, so...

Yeah, and all he would have to say is something as simple as, "Your look of distaste is based on your uncomfortable past with this boys parents." Or even, "There's more to this look than simple dismay, it comes from a deeper place." That's what directing is.

suzu

Also, Loras is not really the heir to Highgarden is he?

They haven't introduced any other Tyrell kids besides Loras and Margaery.. so I suppose he's the heir.

(Tyrell book info)
Loras is the third son and in the Kingsguard. Doesn't seem like he's joined it yet on the show. His two older brothers are Willas and Garlan.

Dysun

They mentioned in an interview they left it open to add a younger Tyrell sibling as the heir if need be.
Similar to last years omission of Shireen when Melisandre said "She's given you no sons"

Speevy

Banned
Speaking of the whole series as it has not been written yet, (spoiler tags in case this is too revealing for some)

There has to be some resolution for the Stark children, you would think. Bran and Rickon are on this perpetual journey. Jon is perhaps dead but perhaps not. Arya continues her quest as a master assassin. And who the heck knows what Sansa is up to?

Surely someone has a plan for these characters that doesn't involve them hanging about.

Dysun

Episode 9 and 10 Synopsis

Episode 3.09 – The Rains of Castamere
Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Episode 3.10 – Mhysa
Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Should put an end to the "PW is gonna happen this season" people

Dysun

Anyone knows what is this?

I mean, I'm sure it's gonna be great, but I don't recall it on the book.

Safe bet it has something to do with the scene in the Season 3 trailers where he says "I AM THE KING!" Probably has his authority challenged in some way. I imagine some kind of huge blow up with the Tyrells also, they dont have a reason to kill him yet

Safe bet it has something to do with the scene in the Season 3 trailers where he says "I AM THE KING!" Probably has his authority challenged in some way. I imagine some kind of huge blow up with the Tyrells also, they dont have a reason to kill him yet

I see. Pretty neat, anyways. It's the one thing I had been wanting for regarding them. Should be very satisfying.

Joni

Anyone knows what is this?

I mean, I'm sure it's gonna be great, but I don't recall it on the book.

ASOS;:
Joffrey was delighted when he heard of Robb Stark's death and wanted his head so he could serve it to Sansa at his own wedding, in addition to wanting to show no mercy to the Northern and Riverland nobles who surrendered following Robb Stark's death; this statement horrified Kevan and enraged Tyrion, who threatened his nephew, stating that Sansa was not his to torment. Tywin refused to allow Joffrey's request which caused Joffrey to insult his grandfather as 'a coward who hid beneath Casterly Rock' while his 'father' won the war at the Trident, an insult that angered Tywin to the point that in private he remarked that Joffrey required a "sharp lesson".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom