• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Wonder if the showrunners consider that leak thing as
fanservice for the book fans

Book spoiler
but if I recall correct... she wasn't even in the capital? She is a different character even? And I don't remember Joff killing anyone like that?

Sane_Man

Book spoiler
but if I recall correct... she wasn't even in the capital? She is a different character even? And I don't remember Joff killing anyone like that?

I don't think she's in the books at all, unless my memory is shit. I think his point was that the book fans don't like her character as she doesn't serve much of a purpose, so by killing her off it's fan service to those book fans.

TCRS

Banned
pics
lol everyone could see that coming

[all books]
I know I know. But in the books they really do kill Roberts other bastard don't they? Meaning they'll also kill Gendry?

(edit: changed it to all books because I don't remember either tbh.)

Tacitus_

[ASOS]
I know I know. But in the books they really do kill Roberts other bastard don't they? Meaning they'll also kill Gendry?

all books because I can't remember which one it happened in E: ASOS according to the wiki
Davos smuggles the bastard out when it seems Melisandre is going to burn him

hoos30

They forgot to cast Salladhor Saan.

th

Kadayi

Banned
I don't think she's in the books at all, unless my memory is shit. I think his point was that the book fans don't like her character as she doesn't serve much of a purpose, so by killing her off it's fan service to those book fans.

No, Ros is not in the books at all. She essentially acts an an amalgamation of minor roles and as an exposition foil for the other principal characters. I figure they've killed her to highlight once again Joffery's psychopath tendencies, coupled with a bit of Varys/Littlefinger interplay and clearing the decks for Tyrion's wedding, given she's supposedly his mistress. Of course vociferous book readers will likely view this as some kind of victory...and no doubt badger the shows writers/producers over other shit in the mistaken belief that their opinions somehow count.

Oh wow, that is actually surprising.

[ASoS/Show speculation]
I was actually kind of hoping they'd put Ros in Marillion's role at the Eyrie, with Littlefinger realizing she was double crossing him and as a way to get back at her pinning Lysa's death on her. Guess that's not happening!

Although, I suppose Ros' fate could still be Littlefinger's doing. If he realized she was double crossing him and sent her to Joffrey, knowing what Joffrey does to people...

Also kind of funny to see since somebody in this thread or maybe the non book reader thread was saying Joffrey hasn't been that evil this season. Heh.

Regarding some of the other pictures, combined with some of the trailer footage from earlier, [ASoS/Show speculation]
it looks like Mel takes Gendry back to Dragonstone maybe? And then you have the one shot from the one trailer with what looks like naked Gendry and naked Mel. I wonder if she tries to convince Gendry to make a shadow baby with him? If so, I could see it happening a couple different ways. Either they do and it goes off and kills Balon maybe? Since his death is somewhat ambiguous in the books. Or maybe Gendry refuses and Mel sets Gendry up as an Edric Storm type sacrifice only for Davos to maybe save Gendry, like he saves Edric in the book. And then maybe they just use the dead babies in place of the leeches?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

[ASoS/Show speculation]
I was actually kind of hoping they'd put Ros in Marillion's role at the Eyrie, with Littlefinger realizing she was double crossing him and as a way to get back at her pinning Lysa's death on her. Guess that's not happening!

Also kind of funny to see since somebody in this thread or maybe the non book reader thread was saying Joffrey hasn't been that evil this season. Heh.

Yeah I fully expected that to be the case and actually thought it'd be an example of good improvisation on the part of D&D. Interested to see where this goes tonight and that stuff goes later in the series.

calza

[ASoS/Show speculation]

Although, I suppose Ros' fate could still be Littlefinger's doing. If he realized she was double crossing him and sent her to Joffrey, knowing what Joffrey does to people...

Regarding some of the other pictures, combined with some of the trailer footage from earlier, [ASoS/Show speculation]
it looks like Mel takes Gendry back to Dragonstone maybe? And then you have the one shot from the one trailer with what looks like naked Gendry and naked Mel. I wonder if she tries to convince Gendry to make a shadow baby with him? If so, I could see it happening a couple different ways. Either they do and it goes off and kills Balon maybe? Since his death is somewhat ambiguous in the books. Or maybe Gendry refuses and Mel sets Gendry up as an Edric Storm type sacrifice only for Davos to maybe save Gendry, like he saves Edric in the book. And then maybe they just use the dead babies in place of the leeches?

Can you link to the trailer you are talking about? I don't remember that at all.

bengraven

Off topic, but I was thinking of the Tywin/Arya thing from Season 2 with a new light.

I was thinking that in his mind, Tywin was seeing the kind of grandchild he WISHED he had: subtly cunning, intelligent, willing to learn.

But by being a Lannister, he himself would not ALLOW himself to have such a grandchild.

Because to be a Lannister means a certain kind of arrogance, public awareness, and less subtle strength; he would rather his grandchild be more arrogant and strong than cunning and hidden.

It's a curse in a way - there's this girl who he wishes his children's children can be more like, but because of who he is, he created the monster and has to live with it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Off topic, but I was thinking of the Tywin/Arya thing from Season 2 with a new light.

I was thinking that in his mind, Tywin was seeing the kind of grandchild he WISHED he had: subtly cunning, intelligent, willing to learn.

But by being a Lannister, he himself would not ALLOW himself to have such a grandchild.

Because to be a Lannister means a certain kind of arrogance, public awareness, and less subtle strength; he would rather his grandchild be more arrogant and strong than cunning and hidden.

It's a curse in a way - there's this girl who he wishes his children's children can be more like, but because of who he is, he created the monster and has to live with it.

ASOS
I think there's some truth to this. I think pretty much everyone except for Cersei was happy Jeoffrey was killed. Even Jamie didn't seem to care that much.

bengraven

ASOS
I think there's some truth to this. I think pretty much everyone except for Cersei was happy Jeoffrey was killed. Even Jamie didn't seem to care that much.

Right, I wouldn't be surprised (all books)
to find out Tywin was behind the plot at Joffrey's wedding - it seems like everyone already is anyway.

I do remember Jaime being torn about being torn up. He was like "well, I was never able to get close to this kid due to Cersei's orders, but he was still my son".

cj_iwakura

So, judging on those pictures, tonight we get the full (series)
Ramsay reveal
??

That's a safe bet, but I think they already spelled it out pretty clearly. ASOS/Series
For book readers, at least. I have a bad feeling Theon is getting Varys'd this episode. I hope they don't make it too gruesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
to find out Tywin was behind the plot at Joffrey's wedding - it seems like everyone already is anyway.

I do remember Jaime being torn about being torn up. He was like "well, I was never able to get close to this kid due to Cersei's orders, but he was still my son".

ASOS
I think it was pretty obvious that it was all orchestrated by Olenna, who wanted to spare her grandaughter marriage so the little shit.

AS for Jamie, he's broken up at first, but then in AFFC I don't think he ever mentions Jeoffrey. All that's going through his mind is Tyrion's words about Cersei screwing everyone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's a safe bet, but I think they already spelled it out pretty clearly. ASOS/Series
For book readers, at least. I have a bad feeling Theon is getting Varys'd this episode. I hope they don't make it too gruesome.
Series
I don't think he was necessarily castrated in the books. I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that he was.

I thought the same. I fully expect the show to spell that particular plot point out from ADWD that they only alluded to.

bengraven

Beautiful. (very minor SOS/ADWD)
It fits in with other characters who's story is told in the background during the books. Theon's is completely backstory during this part of the novels, so we should get to see all the shit they do to him before he "becomes a major player again" (quoted because they're keeping him up front obviously, but in the books he takes time off).

Thats interesting, not sure about it though. I hope it doesn't mean
shadow babies

Yeah. [ASoS MAJOR spoilers/Show Speculation]
I guess technically, you have 2 shadow babies in ACoK yet we only saw one in action. So maybe they'll make up for that by using another one this year? Eh. I just hope they don't play up the supernatural interference aspect from Mel and Stannis via either Shadow Babies or the burning of the leeches in the fates of Balon, Robb and Joffrey.

In the books I always saw the burning of the leeches and the fates of the other kings as kind of a coincidence but not any kind of divine or magical intervention. I guess its not entirely clear with Balon, but having it seem like Mel brought about the fates of the other kings might make it seem like she is grossly overpowered or something. Which some TV people already think with Beric being brought back via the power of R'hllor.

I do wonder [ASoS/ADwD spoilers]
how they'll handle "Reek." In the sense that while Ramsay posed as Reek in the books and made Theon adopt that persona, we don't have any mention of Reek in the show. I'd be kind of disappointed if we don't have any of the Reek rhymes in the show but given how the show seems to suck the personality out of some characters, I could see them just making Theon a sad sack of humanity but not necessarily calling him Reek. I hope not though, since Theon's loss of identity is a huge part of his character.

Dysun

Series
I don't think he was necessarily castrated in the books. I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that he was.

ADWD
It was implied when Ramsay commands Theon to "service" fake-Arya he says "But I dont have a..." and Theon also remembers when he got flayed he lost "fingers, toes, and that other little thing" or something along those lines.

Ok *major spoilers be warned* here

Now this is a surprise. I fully expected her to take the fall for Marillion at this point. They hadn't done much this season to show that Joff was still an uncontrollable little shit, so I'm glad they are making him the character we love to hate again.

Yeah. [ASoS MAJOR spoilers/Show Speculation]
I guess technically, you have 2 shadow babies in ACoK yet we only saw one in action. So maybe they'll make up for that by using another one this year? Eh. I just hope they don't play up the supernatural interference aspect from Mel and Stannis via either Shadow Babies or the burning of the leeches in the fates of Balon, Robb and Joffrey.

In the books I always saw the burning of the leeches and the fates of the other kings as kind of a coincidence but not any kind of divine or magical intervention. I guess its not entirely clear with Balon, but having it seem like Mel brought about the fates of the other kings might make it seem like she is grossly overpowered or something. Which some TV people already think with Beric being brought back via the power of R'hllor.

ASOS
Yeah, I always saw the leeches more as coincidence than anything. The plans for the deaths of the kings were already in motion (I think) when the leeches were burned. The Red Wedding was being planned by the start of ASOS. Joffrey's fate was more than likely
sealed once Sansa said he was a monster, if not before then. And who knows how long Balon Greyjoy's death was planned, assuming Euron used a Faceless Man to do it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Called it.
Some called it when the trailer I linked to on this page was first released before the season started.

ASOS
Yeah, I always saw the leeches more as coincidence than anything. The plans for the deaths of the kings were already in motion (I think) when the leeches were burned. The Red Wedding was being planned by the start of ASOS. Joffrey's fate was more than likely
sealed once Sansa said he was a monster, if not before then. And who knows how long Balon Greyjoy's death was planned, assuming Euron used a Faceless Man to do it.
[ASoS]
Not a coincidence, rather Mel saw those events in the flames and had Stannis say those names so when they happened he would think she did them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
Joffrey's fate was more than likely
sealed once Sansa said he was a monster, if not before then.

AFFC
Yeah, this is why I think it's pretty obvious the Tyrells were responsible for Jeoffrey's death. Ollena likely got the poison from one of the beads on Sansa's hairpiece. And Margery likely knew about the plan, as she drank from Jeoffrey's cup before the poison was placed. Littlefinger pretty much knew what happened, and may have had a hand in it as well.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AFFC
Yeah, this is why I think it's pretty obvious the Tyrells were responsible for Jeoffrey's death. Ollena likely got the poison from one of the beads on Sansa's hairpiece. And Margery likely knew about the plan, as she drank from Jeoffrey's cup before the poison was placed. Littlefinger pretty much knew what happened, and may have had a hand in it as well.
More than LF just knowing, he gave Dontos the hairnet with the poison beads to give to Sansa. LF was an active participant.

Burt

Funny, I could've sworn that I remember him being like "well, he's got my blood and my hair, but he's never called me father or had any type of father/son interaction with me and he's a pretty big cunt, so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom