• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkaz01

Regarding the Melisandre scene. I liked that they turned her into high heart and I liked that for once she was the one creeped out by Thoros and by Arya.

Series spoiler time
I think they are going to have her and Gendry have sex and the shadow baby will somehow kill Balon since he hasnt died yet, I also think it might have to do with the prophecy in Dance with Alys Karstark or they will all meet by the end of the book

One thing thats bugging me is the lack of the old gods

preview spoiler and series spoiler
In the preview Thoros asks what god she believes in and she says death, book Arya would always worship the old gods in the show they have hardly been mentioned. I don't know where they are going with that but I hope it doesn't lead to them cutting out her warging and also it makes her seem like less of a stark to be honest

Loofy

??? Which one you talking about? Oh, the Melisandre/Arya thing probably.

I for one like it when the show hints at book stuff. It's fun trying to figure out what the show creators know and are trying to foreshadow. Lord knows GRRM's not getting us new material for years.
Gendrys storyline is still open in the books, if he ends up meeting melisandre in the next books then we know the show is telling us stuff thats ahead. And if she releases him then thats a spoiler in itself too since it tells us that she doesnt do anything with him in the future books...

CrunchyB

Series up to ADWD spoilers and speculation
Funny how the show is making it abundantly clear to Melisandre now that it's possible to bring someone back from the dead. HMMMMMMMMMM

Hah! ADWD
Melisandre already knows. As does Moqorro. Both were already raised themselves. Mel barely ever sleeps or eats. Moq survives for days without water in the ocean. The Red Priests are hardcore.

Gotta say I'm baffled at the Ros stuff. Glad she's dead obviously, but given how long they dragged her story on I figured the payoff would be bigger. I thought

ASOS spoiler:
She was going to go to the Eyrie with Littlefinger, replace the role of Marlillion and be blamed for Lysa's death.

The North scenes were all great, but the King's Landing stuff was a chore this episode. At least Ros is gone.

I expected that there would be a slight dip in quality after two great episodes, but it was still pretty good on the strength of all of the Northern scenes (and there were quite a bit). I'm also very impressed with Paul Kaye as Thoros. He's brought the character to life in a great way.

hoos30

Well, I already ASOS
threw two leeches into the flames and said Dave and Dan's names. Awkward.
I'll have to watch it again. You're probably right, but after last season when they had northern lords were swearing to the father, I wouldn't put any anachronism past them.

I was enjoying this season up to The Climb, hopefully tonight was an anomaly.

I was really looking forward to the Roose, Brienne, Jamie dinner scene... I don't like this Roose. I want the leech lord, not this guy. Maybe not having Roose in Harrenhaal in season two was a blessing.

Roose is way better. Lisping is okay in a book...not so much on TV.

hoos30

Gotta say I'm baffled at the Ros stuff. Glad she's dead obviously, but given how long they dragged her story on I figured the payoff would be bigger. I thought

ASOS spoiler:
She was going to go to the Eyrie with Littlefinger, replace the role of Marlillion and be blamed for Lysa's death.

Most of us did too. We should really know better than that by now, shouldn't we?

aceface

Gendrys storyline is still open in the books, if he ends up meeting melisandre in the next books then we know the show is telling us stuff thats ahead. And if she releases him then thats a spoiler in itself too since it tells us that she doesnt do anything with him in the future books...

series
I think you are looking too much into it. Mel and Gendry are kingdoms apart in the book. I don't think they will ever meet. Gendry is taking the place of Edrick Storm, who is hiding in Essos, iirc?

Hah! ADWD
Melisandre already knows. As does Moqorro. Both were already raised themselves. Mel barely ever sleeps or eats. Moq survives for days without water in the ocean. The Red Priests are hardcore.

ADWD spoilers and speculation
But TV show viewers don't know that stuff! Gotta get the foreshadowing in for them ;) Resurrecting Jon will be a big thing, can't have it come out of nowhere.

In the Mood for Love is such a good movie.
Well, I already ASOS
threw two leeches into the flames and said Dave and Dan's names. Awkward.
I'll have to watch it again. You're probably right, but after last season when they had northern lords were swearing to the father, I wouldn't put any anachronism past them.

I was enjoying this season up to The Climb, hopefully tonight was an anomaly.

I was really looking forward to the Roose, Brienne, Jamie dinner scene... I don't like this Roose. I want the leech lord, not this guy. Maybe not having Roose in Harrenhaal in season two was a blessing.

It's 100% fringed sleeves.

I also like the Gendry change. Rewatching the scene with Arya and ADWD
it does seem the way it was worded was more geared toward her becoming a Faceless Man than towards her killing the rest of her list. Ambiguous enough that I can't call it one way or the other. Good job on that, show runners. However, if she meets Melisandre again that means Arya comes back to Westeros or Melisandre goes back across the sea.

The whole "closed eyes" thing seemed unambiguously about her training to me.

Yep. Isn't TV Roose taking Vargo Hoat's scenes with Jamie? I was trying to say TV Roose is much better than Vargo would have been but I'm probably all mixed up now ��

No, that scene was with Roose in the books, too.

Locke has basically taken on all of Vargo's stuff.

Derwind

I like how Baelish described chaos on a ladder, that was probably an awesome scene, hate him and Geoffery tho for killing Ros.... hope they burn. I seriously need to read the books.

Angry Fork

Can someone explain the significance of the scene where that prostitute lady was killed and why? I'm afraid I haven't been able to piece together the entire scenario between ned stark's daughter + carcetti from the wire + the bald monk guy + the prostitute and what's going on between them.

I can't for the life of me remember these characters names, it's always the case in these genre's. People mentioning Gendry on the last page and now I have to look up who that is on wiki.

Speevy

Banned
Is it just me, or does Littlefinger have two different accents?

One of them sounds kind of Irish and English, and the other one...I dunno, it's like a rat mixed with Spanish.

hoos30

Can someone explain the significance of the scene where that prostitute lady was killed and why? I'm afraid I haven't been able to piece together the entire scenario between ned stark's daughter + carcetti from the wire + the bald monk guy + the prostitute and what's going on between them.

I can't for the life of me remember these characters names, it's always the case in these genre's. People mentioning Gendry on the last page and now I have to look up who that is on wiki.

Littlefinger found out that the prostitute (Ros) was giving Varys information, so obviously he wanted her dead. But LF doesn't waste his investments....instead of killing her and dumping her in trash bin, he gives her to Joffery who is just a sadistic fuck and has been wanting to try out his crossbow for like 8 episodes now. Two birds with one stone...gets rid of Ros and curries additional favor with the boy king. Nice bit of additional characterization for both LF and Joffrey.

ASOS/AFFC
She doesn't let him go though, Davos frees him; at least, assuming Gendry is replacing Edric, which seems to be the case. My only question is...what happens afterward? Having being sold to Melisandre by the Brotherhood, I doubt Gendry will return to Westeros and re-join them; in AFFC he's still a member and saves Brienne.

Or perhaps the show could have him join Brienne's search party in the AFFC season. She had a pretty shitty POV, but having Gendry and sexual tyrannosaurus Podrick Payne as companions could be interesting.

hoos30

Is it just me, or does Littlefinger have two different accents?

One of them sounds kind of Irish and English, and the other one...I dunno, it's like a rat mixed with Spanish.

Just imagine what someone twirling a mustache would sound like...that's LF.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Varys (bald guy) was using Ros (dead prostitute) as a spy against Littlefinger (Carcetti). Littlefinger found out and somehow got Joffrey (little shit from Batman Begins) to kill her. Joffrey's reasoning for going along with it wasn't spelled out but it was probably because he thought it would hurt his uncle Tyrion (the Imp) because it was believed Ros was special to him, which she wasn't because Shae (foreign whore) is.

Angry Fork

Thanks for the explanations. Little finger is a ruthless cunt but I can't help but admire him in a way. I loved his ladder speech.

Also was little finger's love/affection for Ned Stark's wife real? Does he really care about the well being of Stark's daughter? Or is that all a ploy to get him further ahead with someone else? He betrayed Ned so I don't know if he enjoyed doing that or if it was just a matter of pieces on a chess board in the name of survival.

What are his motivations anyway? Just to attain more power/influence over others or what?

Derwind

Wait I just realized, no Daenerys this episode... :(

I was so looking forward to seeing her do her thing... like how her character turned from unbearable to watch into one of the most interesting character to watch. Well speaking for myself of course.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ASOS/AFFC
She doesn't let him go though, Davos frees him; at least, assuming Gendry is replacing Edric, which seems to be the case. My only question is...what happens afterward? Having being sold to Melisandre by the Brotherhood, I doubt Gendry will return to Westeros and re-join them; in AFFC he's still a member and saves Brienne.

Or perhaps the show could have him join Brienne's search party in the AFFC season. She had a pretty shitty POV, but having Gendry and sexual tyrannosaurus Podrick Payne as companions could be interesting.
Nah, [AFFC]
they'll probably still have him at the inn with the kids but I bet Hot Pie will be with him also since they combined the Inn of the Kneeling Man and the Inn at the Crossroads. They can still have him save Brienne.

Okay, I want to know who was the designer who though convincing westorosi crampons meant modern crampons but with rabbit fur for the straps.

Maybe it's because I recently tried out mountaineering last year but that really just seemed too convenient...

Speevy

Banned
I honestly don't want to see another scene with Theon Greyjoy. Enough is enough. Just get the story where it's headed and finish with the torture.

Levi

Banned
I like how Baelish described chaos on a ladder, that was probably an awesome scene, hate him and Geoffery tho for killing Ros.... hope they burn. I seriously need to read the books.

There's a thread for people who haven't read the books. You will be spoiled lurking this thread.

You will be spoiled in the other thread too, half the posters there have read the books or the wikis, but at least I won't have to feel bad about it since I don't read that thread.

Speevy

Banned
Another thing. I think they filmed a Ros death scene but it was so bad that they just showed from Joff walking away.

Chatin

Sansa in ASOS
I really enjoyed Sansa getting the expensive dress from Cersei and thinking that she was being spoiled as a guest for Joffrey's wedding. The reveal that the dress was her own wedding gown for the Tyrion situation was a great reveal to her. Of course the show ruined it. King's Landing is a mess in the show.

Lady Olenna asking if Tywin fooled around with other boys as a child may be my new least favorite bit of the season. Bitch should know better than to mess with Tywin.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Once again the show makes some characters more interesting than in the book... Thoros, Melisandre, Beric, Gen dry, Yiggrite... Its like they all got the big promotion their paper counterparts never received haha

Good ep yet again!

Kuroyume

Banned
Episode was pretty good

+
Ramsay
vs Theon was great
+ Also a good scene with Roose, Jaime, and Brienne
+ Wall Climb
+ Olenna vs Tywinn
+ Thoros backstory... Both Thoros and Beric were great additions to the cast.

- Still want
Ramsay
to be more evil/violent/sinister.
Still, guess we have plenty of time until we finally get Reek.
- Melisandre visiting the Brotherhood. What the fuck is that about? She just waltz in the camp like that? I thought there were supposed to be hidden... Otherwise they would be dead by now. You could possibly argue she saw the place in the flames but that's still a bit of a stretch.

Speevy

Banned
I think based on what the show has shown, Robb's reasoning for wanting to repair the alliance with the Freys is ridiculous.

Tywinn has already shown a willingness to give up his own men in order to win a war, so what would Casterly Rock get Robb? When the Starks were at the Twins before, they described it as about 5,000 men, all of whom were important only because of where their castle was positioned. If Olenna's numbers are correct, the Tyrells are more than double what the Freys could supply. It's a plan that fails even if it works. ASOS
Of course it doesn't, but I'm sure it sounds better on paper

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think based on what the show has shown, Robb's reasoning for wanting to repair the alliance with the Freys is ridiculous.

Tywinn has already shown a willingness to give up his own men in order to win a war, so what would Casterly Rock get Robb? When the Starks were at the Twins before, they described it as about 5,000 men, all of whom were important only because of where their castle was positioned. If Olenna's numbers are correct, the Tyrells are more than double what the Freys could supply. It's a plan that fails even if it works. ASOS

Tywin is all about his family's legitimacy. Taking the Lannister house will provoke a response.

iamblades

Wow, this is Arrested Development-level Easter Egging. Well done, producers.

Re: Melisandre's Propecy and what it means: (General series spoilers)
Isn't she referring to Arya losing the ability to Warg? The third eye closing? I remember it being a big deal hat Arya/Sansa got split from their Direwolves.

ALL:
Arya never lost the ability though, only Sansa did presumably, because Lady was killed(even that I'm not sure is 100% confirmed yet). Arya regularly dreams as Nymeria, and she uses a cat to pass the Kindly Man's test while she is blind

Robb is a great tactician and battle commander, he has won every battle and has done it all along with a smaller force. His problem now is that Tywin is refusing to meet in open battle, which has caused problems for Robb.

Frey will bolster the size of his force to make up for the loss of the Karstarks, and he can force Tywin to meet him in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom