• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

I think based on what the show has shown, Robb's reasoning for wanting to repair the alliance with the Freys is ridiculous.

Tywinn has already shown a willingness to give up his own men in order to win a war, so what would Casterly Rock get Robb? When the Starks were at the Twins before, they described it as about 5,000 men, all of whom were important only because of where their castle was positioned. If Olenna's numbers are correct, the Tyrells are more than double what the Freys could supply. It's a plan that fails even if it works. ASOS
Of course it doesn't, but I'm sure it sounds better on paper

It is more strategic than anything. Losing your home makes you seem weak and it might make The Vale and Dorne move. If the Lannisters lose Casterly Rock, it might convince the Martells or Lysa to join the war on the 'winning' side.

Derwind

There's a thread for people who haven't read the books. You will be spoiled lurking this thread.

You will be spoiled in the other thread too, half the posters there have read the books or the wikis, but at least I won't have to feel bad about it since I don't read that thread.

Alright next mission, must read books so I can keep up with this thread!!!!!!

So quick question, where do I start?

jks

Loofy

I think based on what the show has shown, Robb's reasoning for wanting to repair the alliance with the Freys is ridiculous.

Tywinn has already shown a willingness to give up his own men in order to win a war, so what would Casterly Rock get Robb? When the Starks were at the Twins before, they described it as about 5,000 men, all of whom were important only because of where their castle was positioned. If Olenna's numbers are correct, the Tyrells are more than double what the Freys could supply. It's a plan that fails even if it works. ASOS
Of course it doesn't, but I'm sure it sounds better on paper
I think robb was saying he can take on Tywin.. just not at kings landing. I dont think the tyrells would be willing to fight robb yet, and if they were it would still look bad for tywin if the tyrells have troops in casterly rock so he probably wouldnt ask them.

Speevy

Banned
I just assumed Robb had won his battle victories in skirmishes in which he was able to outmaneuver the Lannisters.

Robb has, in fact, said that a huge "all or nothing" battle would fail.

It may be correct that "appearances are everything", but so far the only people getting scared are doing so because they fear the crown, not because they fear Robb Stark.

Robb has gathered men through loyalty, but not fear.

Like I said, I'm sure it sounds great in the books, but Robb's plan in the show sounds desperate. At least as Richard Madden has portrayed him, Robb sounds like a man who's out of ideas and "Oh look it's the worst idea I've ever had, let's go for it."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

jks
Read them all or be lost.

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons

Oh yeah, read the three Dunk and Egg novellas also.

The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
The Mystery Knight

Lkr

jks

i mean not everyone knows the book order, so...
a game of thrones
a clash of kings
a storm of swords
a feast for crows
a dance with dragons

enjoy

Chatin

Robb telling Edmure to man up and marry a Frey was just as uncomfortable in the show as it was in the books. ASOS
I may be one of the few who felt both surprise and relief when the RW happened. Not a fan of Robb, at all, and I was glad to stop reading about all his luck despite his constant childishness.

Fuzzy

I just assumed Robb had won his battle victories in skirmishes in which he was able to outmaneuver the Lannisters.

Robb has, in fact, said that a huge "all or nothing" battle would fail.

It may be correct that "appearances are everything", but so far the only people getting scared are doing so because they fear the crown, not because they fear Robb Stark.

Robb has gathered men through loyalty, but not fear.

Like I said, I'm sure it sounds great in the books, but Robb's plan in the show sounds desperate. At least as Richard Madden has portrayed him, Robb sounds like a man who's out of ideas and "Oh look it's the worst idea I've ever had, let's go for it."
You really should read the books. You know the broad strokes but you've missed so much.

Wow, this is Arrested Development-level Easter Egging. Well done, producers.

Re: Melisandre's Propecy and what it means: (General series spoilers)
Isn't she referring to Arya losing the ability to Warg? The third eye closing? I remember it being a big deal hat Arya/Sansa got split from their Direwolves.

(AFFC/ADWD)
Melisandre was alluding to her journey with the faceless men. She takes on new faces and loses her sight.
At least that is what I took from it.

I am so sad to see Ros go. :( She was really growing on me. Seems so useless to get rid of her now.
I think she played a good arc. She was there to reinforce a lot of the situational factors like the nature of spies, betrayals between high lords, how twisted Jeoffrey is and what a twat Theon is. ASOS
littlefingers situation is about to change a lot. She could have been brought along but it would seem a little contrived, some thought she would displace Marillion but that won't be necessary.

I also do think Marillion will show up in the Vale. Jeoffrey cut his tongue out in season one or two but didnt kill him. I think Sansa will recognise him. It all plays into his ultimate role with Lysa, especially considering his tongue will contribute to his inability to profess innocence

I imagine they're going to use Gendry for [asos]
the leeches
, which serves the same purpose as Edric Storm and allows (adwd)
him to return to Westeros for his later cameo.

I can't believe no one in the no spoilers thread is even the least bit confused that (asos)
Roose didn't return the Kingslayer to Robb.

The identity of Theon's captor is being played with masterfully. Must have hurt nearly as much as the torture to hear him say "I'm a better hunter than you."

Jeels

Yes but the more they do that, the more it becomes a case of everybody's stories being a little bit too well connected. If you get my meaning

In the books its all way too disjointed. Especially for TV but even for books there's so many people its like nobody matters. I don't feel like I know anyone anymore.

Derwind

Read them all or be lost.

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons

Oh yeah, read the three Dunk and Egg novellas also.

The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
The Mystery Knight

i mean not everyone knows the book order, so...
a game of thrones
a clash of kings
a storm of swords
a feast for crows
a dance with dragons

enjoy

Thanks guys, will get started on this soon!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yay, no more Ros. Good riddance. But now I kinda have to like Joffrey... ok, maybe not.

I'm betting [ASoS]
Gendry will be taken to Dragonstone and Melisandre will try to convince Stannis to execute him, Edric Storm-style. But Davos will intervene somehow and whisk him out. Maybe they'll draw his blood for the leeches, I dunno. It might be too obvious if they show the leeches, though. That scene might work better on paper than on screen in not being too obvious.

I want to see Balon and Asha/Yara at least once this season, too. Hopefully see a Faceless Man do Balon in.

Can someone repeat Melisandre's exact speech to Arya? I want to re-hear what she said about the various eye colours etc.

The rest of the leaked images are here. Obviously, full of spoilers.

Nothing else of interest, it looks like it'll be an interesting episode though.
Now that the episode's aired, I can ask: why is Dany among those pics? We didn't see her...

"I thought you would have learned your lesson about overplaying your.......position" lol ice cold
Hahaha I LOLed at that so hard. He wanted to say "your hand" and restrained himself just in time. That was great.

Re: Melisandre's Propecy and what it means: (General series spoilers)
Isn't she referring to Arya losing the ability to Warg? The third eye closing? I remember it being a big deal hat Arya/Sansa got split from their Direwolves.

[ADwD]
Huh? Arya hasn't lost her ability to warg. She wargs into a cat in Braavos to spy on the kindly man at some point.

Fuzzy

Can someone repeat Melisandre's exact speech to Arya? I want to re-hear what she said about the various eye colours etc.
Arya: You're a witch. You're going to hurt him.

Melisandre: I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again.

Now that the episode's aired, I can ask: why is Dany among those pics? We didn't see her...
Preview for episode 7?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks.

When she said "I saw a darkness in you", I thought she was gonna recite some lines from the visions of the Ghost of High Heart. Was kinda disappointed that didn't happen (seems like a missed opportunity there). But I guess that's mysterious and cool too.

Hazmat

I loved Brienne's dress. How humiliating.

Also, I demand more scenes between Olenna and Tywin. Or just more scenes with either of them.

golem

A few things are interesting about Ros' death including (asos)
the fact her death signals to viewers that no one is safe, not even someone surviving from the first episode.. also it foreshadows Tyrion's slaying of Shae by showing a Lannister with a crossbow killing a whore....

So i guess they made it work. My gf is a pretty hardcore bookreader, but even she was a bit shocked Ros died.

hahaha they killed ros. good riddance. episode was kind of mediocre to me, at this point i'm just bored to death of any scenes of jon snow. i liked his chapters in the books but his scenes are not cutting it at all in this series for me. so boring.

enjoyed the scene with tyrion and cersei, and queen of thorns and tywin.

they should give jaime more screentime than jon

I think one more Theon scene is necessary to
establish who Ramsay is (keep going on like this and people are going to be confused as hell), maybe cut off Theon's member, show him actually becoming mentally dehinged and introduce the concept of "Reek". Then he doesn't even need to be in season 4

Is it just me, or does Littlefinger have two different accents?

One of them sounds kind of Irish and English, and the other one...I dunno, it's like a rat mixed with Spanish.

He fluctuates between accents, but I think it fits the character. He's a chameleon that only cares about climbing social ladders and will blend in with any person that can benefit him in the end.

element

Had to mute and fast forward through the Theon Greyjoy torture scene tonight. No thanks. This isn't Hostel or Saw.

Had to mute and fast forward through the Theon Greyjoy torture scene tonight. No thanks. This isn't Hostel or Saw.

Actually, it is. The torturer (name not listed due to spoilers) is one sadistic, depraved mindfuck of a character. I actually applaud HBO for not pussying out.

yeah you should. none of you are writers for a reason

So because we aren't writers we cannot criticize or critique the show? Yea, take your fallacies somewhere else.

Ros existed through three seasons to show us the non-high lord side of Westeros, sure. Personally I'd argue we saw enough of that on the Wall, in King's Landing S2, and Arya's arcs. So she appeared for three seasons, taking nearly an hour worth of screen time away from other characters, only to be killed by Joffery (who has already tortured prostitutes), thus showing us that...he's a murderous dick - something that has been drilled into our heads quite effectively already. Can't say I'm impressed. Naturally your response will be a one sentence sneer, so I'm more interested in having an actual conversation with some other folks here.

I liked the climb monologue, but much of the beginning of the conversation had the same trappings each Varys v Littlefinger scene has had to me: a total lack of subtlety, replaced with mustache twirling banter. It's like two comic book villains explaining their super powers to each other. And while each of the scenes throughout the series feature some good acting and lines, it really feels like a fanfic at times. "When I thwarted your plan to give Sansa Stark to the Tyrells..." just doesn't sound like something a careful manipulator would say; on the flip side, Varys' vague comment about sometimes enjoying seeing enemies fail has subtlety and worked perfect to me.

Trasher

I think one more Theon scene is necessary to
establish who Ramsay is (keep going on like this and people are going to be confused as hell), maybe cut off Theon's member, show him actually becoming mentally dehinged and introduce the concept of "Reek". Then he doesn't even need to be in season 4

Holy shit. I never picked up on that. Just looked it up though.

I really enjoyed LF's speech. Some nice nods to some of the other players who have died in his speech.

The view from the top of the wall looked pretty poor in my opinion. mostly the contrast between the wall and the view beyond, just didn't look right.

They're handling the Theon stuff well but I really do wonder how long they can string this out. (series)
especially considering how long it goes on. It's horrifying now but you wonder when viewers will just get desensitized to it if it goes on too long

one thing I suddenly thought about: (SERIES)
It's going to be really interesting how they handle Arya changing faces later. I assume they'll want an actress of similar size as her to play those parts? Going to be an interesting challenge for sure.

edit: also, good fucking god at the "feminist" bitching over the Ros thing.

edit: also, good fucking god at the "feminist" bitching over the Ros thing.

...do I want to know what this is about...probably not lol. Ros was little more than an excuse for nudity throughout S1 and some of S2. She becomes more...professional in S3 which I guess could be seen in a positive light. But I don't see how her getting killed would lead to feminist anger. There's plenty more stuff in the show to be upset about, with respect to how women are portrayed (and the disparity between female and male nudity). Some would point at the books too, but I'd argue the books handle women better (and feature more male nudity obviously).

Brashnir

surprised to see so many not pick up on the moment in the second exchange between Thoros and Mellisandre where Mellisandre says, "You should not have this power" and Thoros intimates that he has no power and it all comes from the Lord of Light. It's a perfect contrast between the man who lets the God do his work and the woman who seeks to bend the God to her will.

...do I want to know what this is about...probably not lol. Ros was little more than an excuse for nudity throughout S1 and some of S2.[/b[ She becomes more...professional in S3 which I guess could be seen in a positive light. But I don't see how her getting killed would lead to feminist anger. There's plenty more stuff in the show to be upset about, with respect to how women are portrayed (and the disparity between female and male nudity). Some would point at the books too, but I'd argue the books handle women better (and feature more male nudity obviously).

She was more an exposition device than an excuse for nudity early on. Sure they combined the two (every time you see a naked lady early in the series, there's probably important exposition going on) but I think it was fueled more by the former than the latter.

I warned my friend not to get attached to characters and now he is threatening to quit the show if certain characters are killed off. I told him not to get emotionally attached to anyone in this show.

Man

Next episode looks very promising in the teaser. ASOS:
The bear pit and following scene is probably my favorite in the book. Jaime fully 'turns'.

Oh, hey, sudden realization regarding Tywin: (series)
In his convo with the QoT he implies that since 'age takes its toll on men as well' that he basically isn't able to get it up. Doesn't that clash with the idea that he's banging Shae behind Tyrion's back? I suppose Tyrion wouldn't know anyhow, but if that's the case, it certainly makes Tyrion seem a lot less likeable after all of that plays out.

Massa

Ros existed through three seasons to show us the non-high lord side of Westeros, sure.

Nope, Ros existed to show sides of main characters we wouldn't get otherwise in the TV format. She helped develop the likes of Theon, Tyrion, Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys, Joffrey... not a single scene with her on the show was about her character. She never had any arc of her own, and now that she stopped being useful (we know the characters well enough) they killed her off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom