• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdkee

Banned
I think one more Theon scene is necessary to
establish who Ramsay is (keep going on like this and people are going to be confused as hell), maybe cut off Theon's member, show him actually becoming mentally dehinged and introduce the concept of "Reek". Then he doesn't even need to be in season 4

Check out the preview for the next episode.

Valravn

Oh, hey, sudden realization regarding Tywin: (series)
In his convo with the QoT he implies that since 'age takes its toll on men as well' that he basically isn't able to get it up. Doesn't that clash with the idea that he's banging Shae behind Tyrion's back? I suppose Tyrion wouldn't know anyhow, but if that's the case, it certainly makes Tyrion seem a lot less likeable after all of that plays out.

Im very curious about how they will handle Shae's betrayal. Will they go a different way with Shae? Looking back at Shae's conversations with Sansa it will not make any sense if she ends up in bed with Tywin. Will Tywin threaten her or is she just a golddigger after all? Or will Tywin not sleep with her but just kill her in front of Tyrion?

CassSept

Great episode and surprisingly changes from the book are pretty good and logical. And clever. Huh.

I'm REALLY curious about one thing though. [series]
Obviously it's about Mel/Arya scene. And I don't mean that line about eyes and blindness and what not, but more about "We will meet again".

If someone else had said that - whatever, who cares. But it's Mel. It felt like she really meant that they will meet again one day. So unless there is some major stray from the books so far, that might be even ADoS-level spoiler.

Unless it was a throwaway line, a courteous gesture, but I doubt it at the time

Brashnir

Great episode and surprisingly changes from the book are pretty good and logical. And clever. Huh.

I'm REALLY curious about one thing though. [series]
Obviously it's about Mel/Arya scene. And I don't mean that line about eyes and blindness and what not, but more about "We will meet again".

If someone else had said that - whatever, who cares. But it's Mel. It felt like she really meant that they will meet again one day. So unless there is some major stray from the books so far, that might be even ADoS-level spoiler.

Unless it was a throwaway line, a courteous gesture, but I doubt it at the time

Does anyone really think Arya won't return to Westeros at some point? I guess Mel still being alive at the point is in question, but them meeting in the future shouldn't really be too big a surprise.

duckroll

Here's what I think of Season 3 so far:

Ep1: Garbage. Boring, tries too hard, still looks cheap.

Ep2: Still garbage, thinking of just dropping the series because it's pretty bad in general.

Ep3: Finally a decently good episode. Stuff happens, Tywin and Tryion are the only characters still worth a shit, everyone else overacts.

Ep4: Dany is the worst thing about this series, she can't act. Awful. There hasn't been good sex in the show for too long, I'm falling asleep.

Ep5: Oooooh yeah! Named character nudity! Loras gay sex! A Beheading! Yes, this is what this show should be - a trashy sex and violence romp, trying to be anything else is painful.

Ep6: Cliffhanger + CG from 1995 + "Chaos is a ladder" + dramatic monologue w/ dramatic music and montage + Hollywood kiss at sunrise/sunset ending. ROFLMAO. Worst final scene in any episode in the entire series so far.

FootballFan

Ep2: Still garbage, thinking of just dropping the series because it's pretty bad in general.

Ep3: Finally a decently good episode. Stuff happens, Tywin and Tryion are the only characters still worth a shit, everyone else overacts.

Ep4: Dany is the worst thing about this series, she can't act. Awful. There hasn't been good sex in the show for too long, I'm falling asleep.

Ep5: Oooooh yeah! Named character nudity! Loras gay sex! A Beheading! Yes, this is what this show should be - a trashy sex and violence romp, trying to be anything else is painful.

Ep6: Cliffhanger + CG from 1995 + "Chaos is a ladder" + dramatic monologue w/ dramatic music and montage + Hollywood kiss at sunrise/sunset ending. ROFLMAO. Worst final scene in any episode in the entire series so far.

You know nothing, Duckroll. It is known.

The Dany incinerating the slaver scene was great.

Brashnir

You have terrible opinions about everything.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

But how do you feel about boardwalk? this is the real divider! :p

Honestly, this episode felt pretty weak. Weird to see Ros go like that, but the speech at the end was quite invigorating. Always love me some Spider vs. Finger banter about realms and chaos.

duckroll

How did Newsroom turn out? Only watched 3 episodes.

If you're looking for a quality drama about news broadcasting and a sensible critique against the flaws of the modern system it is a wretched waste of time.

If you're looking for a semi-comedic overdramatic soap opera about people working in a newsroom having sitcom personal dramas and the biggest waste of a talented cast on a HBO series ever, you'll probably love it.

But how do you feel about boardwalk? this is the real divider! :p

Boardwalk Empire is the best series I've seen this decade. My favorite show on TV by a long mile.

Amir0x

Banned
even though I probably agree with a lot of duckroll's complaints, i do have to wonder how duckroll gets through any episode of anime with complaints like those :p

duckroll

even though I probably agree with a lot of duckroll's complaints, i do have to wonder how duckroll gets through any episode of anime with complaints like those :p

The same way I get through Game of Thrones every week. It's just entertainment. If I only watch things I feel have no flaws or very few flaws, I won't be watching anything at all. :p

hoos30

Now we know how Ramsey Snow could do what he did to another man... :p

The only thing I really agree with duckroll about is the CG. I thought it was awful last night, particularly at the end with those two kissing. But I still think that this season is by far the best season.

Reyne

Nope, Ros existed to show sides of main characters we wouldn't get otherwise in the TV format. She helped develop the likes of Theon, Tyrion, Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys, Joffrey... not a single scene with her on the show was about her character. She never had any arc of her own, and now that she stopped being useful (we know the characters well enough) they killed her off.

Well, thats true enough. Still, I think a character whose existence is defined by her exposition of other characters, and is promptly killed off once she is no longer a useful exposition tool, well that seem like a poor character to me, whatever the format may be. Well, they made well use of her death though, showing the evil cunning of Littlefinger and that Joffrey is still a psychopathic, sadistic prick. Exposition into the very end.

Well, thats true enough. Still, I think a character whose existence is defined by her exposition of other characters, and is promptly killed off once she is no longer a useful exposition tool, well that seem like a poor character to me, whatever the format may be. Well, they made well use of her death though, showing the evil cunning of Littlefinger and that Joffrey is still a psychopathic, sadistic prick. Exposition into the very end.

On the bright side, she is gone either way. She won't be a part of the show anymore. Personally, I felt like she was a minor distraction and was taking screen time away from better characters. I'm not sure if the writers are getting the response from her death like they thought. I'm not sympathetic toward her and she won't be missed. She wasn't even particularly tragic, just stupid.

Enosh

this episode reminded me why I hate Ygritte

ASOS brotherhood
not sure I am a fan of the whole brotherhood giving up gendry to melisandre thingy

Mario007

Well yeah she wasn't as much as a character but rather someone to be on the screen while the other main characters have their monologues, pretty much. So her death really captured her essence. Also it was great seeing Joffrey return to being a dick, because in S3 he seemed to have normalised with Margeary around.

Enosh

also
series spoiler i guess
hmm I'm being skinned in the north, where am I?
I know, house Umber! no Karstark!

someone didn't listen during the maesters history and houses lessons

Shahadan

The show has at least the merit to highlight that Varys and Littlefinger are the true powers leading the realm. I like their scenes.

duckroll

It's Duckroll. He's immune to rightness. :p

You can't defeat me! :D

GO8B3uD.jpg

this episode reminded me why I hate Ygritte

ASOS brotherhood
not sure I am a fan of the whole brotherhood giving up gendry to melisandre thingy

In the Free Cities it's said
the red priests actively take part in the slave trade. Ransoming Gendry (when they've already announced their plans to do so to Arya) didn't seem horribly out of character.

Enosh

In the Free Cities it's said
the red priests actively take part in the slave trade. Ransoming Gendry (when they've already announced their plans to do so to Arya) didn't seem horribly out of character.
oh it's perfectly in character for the red priest to do it I am just not so buying the brotherhood being willing to give up one of their own like that for some gold, don't they even knight him or some shit?

duckroll

So next week's is GRRM's episode? Nice. I guess next week we'll be getting
Sansa' and Tyrion's wedding

I hear that there will also be
a live bear,
but those scenes weren't written by GRRM because they moved stuff around between episodes.

Enco

Had to mute and fast forward through the Theon Greyjoy torture scene tonight. No thanks. This isn't Hostel or Saw.

Alright, we get it. He's torturing Theon and is a messed up dude. Enough already.
Agreed.

This Theon stuff is starting to get annoying. Completely unnecessary. Yes he's crazy. Ok. Move the fuck on. This isn't 'gritty storytelling'. This is bullshit exploitation to force an emotional response. It's bad storytelling.

Tacitus_

Hmmmh. It's good that Tormund seems to be finding his sense of humor, though I want more stories about his member and what he's done with it. And Littlefingers and Varys' verbal duels don't really fit their characters imo.

The Theon scenes were interesting tonight. Ramsay was playing the game with the audience more than Theon. "Guess what house I'm a member of and what conclusions you can draw from that."

I didn't look through the non-reader thread much but they have figured out he's a Bolton.

lol at ros not even getting a proper death scene.
I really noticed in this episode how much older Bran looks now.
There's a post on r/got at the moment about how just because you saw someone on GoT put something in the mouth of an epileptic you shouldn't do that irl. lolwtf

Right right, got ya.

Tough ASOS
I doubt Jon is killing Tormud and Ygritte. Orell, probably.

After they got to the top of the wall I was expecting Jon to get out a weapon and threaten Orell or say something like "I'm gonna to kill him" to Ygritte.

Episode 7 promo for those who didn't catch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Bo1kSpDAk

Remember to spoiler tag anything from it.

Nice shot of [ASoS]
Jaime jumping into the bear pit.

Cheers bruv

I can't make out all of what Orell is saying. Anyone care to transcribe?

I could have sworn I recall a character like her in the book, so I didn't mind her much at all.

Yeah there are lots of whores in ASoIaF.

Can someone explain the significance of the scene where that prostitute lady was killed and why? I'm afraid I haven't been able to piece together the entire scenario between ned stark's daughter + carcetti from the wire + the bald monk guy + the prostitute and what's going on between them.

I can't for the life of me remember these characters names, it's always the case in these genre's. People mentioning Gendry on the last page and now I have to look up who that is on wiki.

heh reminds me of this pic I saw on r/got last week.

Robb telling Edmure to man up and marry a Frey was just as uncomfortable in the show as it was in the books. ASOS
I may be one of the few who felt both surprise and relief when the RW happened. Not a fan of Robb, at all, and I was glad to stop reading about all his luck despite his constant childishness.

You're a monster!

also
series spoiler i guess
hmm I'm being skinned in the north, where am I?
I know, house Umber! no Karstark!

someone didn't listen during the maesters history and houses lessons

I was thinking the same thing! I mean, ADWD
Don't the Bolton's have a skinned man as their sigil?

And Littlefingers and Varys' verbal duels don't really fit their characters imo.

I don't see how you could say that. They have a mutual respect for one another because of their vast webs of knowledge, but they also view one another as competition as well because of the same very reason.

Agreed.

This Theon stuff is starting to get annoying. Completely unnecessary. Yes he's crazy. Ok. Move the fuck on. This isn't 'gritty storytelling'. This is bullshit exploitation to force an emotional response. It's bad storytelling.

ASOS
For a book reader, these scenes are quite fascinating. After his abduction at the end of ACoK, Theon loses his status as a POV character in the following book. We have no idea on the extent of his injuries until much later in the story. We simply know that something is happening, and that something is horrifying. I guess the show is trading off the shock of revealing it all at once vs showing you bits and pieces as the story progresses. Since the show doesn't use flashbacks and exposition on these events wouldn't really make sense, it has to be this way, especially since these events reveal a great deal about both Theon and his captor (and for his captor, about what he is). It is supposed to elicit an emotional response, that response being horror and revulsion, even as it happens to a character who shouldn't expect sympathy. Be advised: "if you're expecting a happy ending to all of this, you haven't been paying attention."

Mario007

Hmmmh. It's good that Tormund seems to be finding his sense of humor, though I want more stories about his member and what he's done with it. And Littlefingers and Varys' verbal duels don't really fit their characters imo.
I'd actually say that they fit their characters perfectly. Littlefinger v Varys verbal scenes are always the highlight of any episode to me.
The Theon scenes were interesting tonight. Ramsay was playing the game with the audience more than Theon. "Guess what house I'm a member of and what conclusions you can draw from that."

I didn't look through the non-reader thread much but they have figured out he's a Bolton.
As a non book reader I think the signs were very nice and subtle throughout the season that it's Bolton's bastard. You had the sigil, the fact that he was outside Winterfell at the end of S2 and now the trumpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom