• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do y'all want that as the final scene?

ASOS
Cat's death needs to be seen as permanent so that Stoneheart has a truly shocking effect. People are already talking about how the Lord of Light can revive everyone and thus there is no drama, don't give them ideas.

Why not end like the first season, with a positive ending? Daenerys, having conquered Yunkai, her army and dragons being all badass and all the slaves calling her Mother.

Speevy

Banned
I still think the final scene of the season will end up being (ASOS)
Lady Stoneheart

Fits the episode title as well.

Thank you!

That's exactly what I thought.

ASOS
Arya already made Beric Donarrion feel all sorts of guilty for not being able to bring back Ned. I can just envision a scene in which he stumbles on the dead body of Catelyn and remembers what she said, brings her back, and this vicious version of Cat opens her evil eyes as the credits roll. It's perfect.

Subitai

Nope, that's (ASOS)
Episode 9.
Episode 9 is called The Rains of Castamere, so it's obvious the Red Wedding happens on it.
Episode 10 is Mysha, so it's obviously gonna feature Daenerys heavily. And good for that, I mean, people are gonna need a victory for the good guys.
Some ASoS
There are no "good guys" and "bad guys". :p There is light gray and dark gray characters moving towards the same shade. Dany is probably going to get rid of Jorah this season too, because the show is already alluding to the fact that she, like Ned, for difficult reasons couldn't continue to trust him.

ASOS
Cat's death needs to be seen as permanent so that Stoneheart has a truly shocking effect. People are already talking about how the Lord of Light can revive everyone and thus there is no drama, don't give them ideas.

Why not end like the first season, with a positive ending? Daenerys, having conquered Yunkai, her army and dragons being all badass and all the slaves calling her Mother.

Because (ASOS)
It's a huge moment and I can't see them waiting until the season 4 finale to get to it. I dunno how they're planning on stretching the latter ~40% or so of ASOS into 10 episodes. I was thinking they're going to have to bring in stuff from AFFC/ADWD, which might mean that the stoneheart reveal would have to occur either in the S3 finale, S4 premiere, or somewhere in the middle of season 4. I don't think it would fit anywhere else other than as a season finale

Speevy

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the best thing for the season 4 finale be ASOS
Tywin and Shae's death

Some ASoS
There are no "good guys" and "bad guys". :p There is light gray and dark gray characters moving towards the same shade. Dany is probably going to get rid of Jorah this season too, because the show is already alluding to the fact that she, like Ned, for difficult reasons couldn't continue to trust him.

I'm talking about non-book readers.

Do you really think they don't look at the Starks and Dany as "the good guys"? You have people believing Jaime lied regarding to Aerys because he's a villain and people saying Stannis is obviously insane and planning to do evil shit if he took the Throne.

Like it or not everyone is rooting for the Starks and Dany.

ASOS
So if the previous episode you're gonna kill half the Starks, at least give them something positive. People are already complaining there's too much fantastic shit and how little tension there is if people can start resurrecting left and right, especially when this show got a lot of attention for being so ballsy when it came to killing characters. It'd make the Red Wedding a lot less meaningful.

Then again, I really hate the concept of Lady Stoneheart, so maybe I'm biased. But I'm sure most people would prefer to end a Season with another badass shot of Dany ruling shit than OMG Zombie Cat.

Speevy

Banned
I think (series)
They'll throw the good guys a bone by leaving Jon Snow alive through the whole thing, rather than killing him off ambiguously unless George R.R. Martin has already told the showrunners otherwise

Eidan

ASOS

ASOS
The more I think about it, the more I think we're getting Stoneheart as the season finale hook.

1. As many have said, the Red Wedding is going to be devastating for viewers. Seeing the Starks lose again will have people yearning for some kernels of hope. I don't think another scene with Dany liberating slaves will be enough, and I don't think the showrunners feel that way either.

2. I can't imagine them letting Catelyn's resurrection happen off-screen. They're going to want to make it clear for viewers that Beric sacrificed himself to bring Catelyn back. Considering how difficult it seems for viewers to gather and remember details, the most effective way of doing this is to show it. Possibly through the eyes of Nymeria.

I agree that you're probably going to have a backlash of people believing death no longer carries dramatic weight, but I feel like that would happen whether you have Cat revived at the end of season 3 or at the end of season 4.

Fey

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the best thing for the season 4 finale be ASOS
Tywin and Shae's death

ASOS
They have so many options of how to end S4. I think nearly every character had an amazing cliffhanger ending. I personally hope they stick to the book. Lysa's death -> Stoneheart.

Brashnir

Because (ASOS)
It's a huge moment and I can't see them waiting until the season 4 finale to get to it. I dunno how they're planning on stretching the latter ~40% or so of ASOS into 10 episodes. I was thinking they're going to have to bring in stuff from AFFC/ADWD, which might mean that the stoneheart reveal would have to occur either in the S3 finale, S4 premiere, or somewhere in the middle of season 4. I don't think it would fit anywhere else other than as a season finale

ASOS
Well, there's a whole lot of important shit that goes down in that last 40% of ASOS, plus if Dany is just taking Yunkai at the finale, that puts her behind the books, where she is just reaching Mereen after the RW.

As to the previous poster's concern that bringing Cat back would undermine the death and make death seem meaningless, I get that too -- but as long as it's made clear that Beric has to sacrifice himself to resurrect her, it can still work

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ASOS
The people denying that the season will end with Cat's resurrection are kidding themselves. It couldn't be a more obvious cliffhanger for the season. And it fits perfectly with the finale title which considering D&D's love of double meaning will not just refer to Dany.

I think I'm going to explode from anticipation of next week's episode. Written by GRRM and directed by Michelle MacLaren (who's done some of the best Breaking Bad episodes). And for those of you that have an idea of what happens next week, I don't think we're gonna be disappointed.

It's really interesting to me that with two cable television series establishing themselves as events (GoT and The Walking Dead), they're actually doing the opposite of what previous event series (specifically LOST) were doing on network television a few years ago, where the premiere would have big numbers but would always trend downward until the finale in terms of viewers. These cable shows just keep going up and up and up.

Ugh, fucking Walking Dead haha. The gulf of quality between that and GoT could not be higher, but I agree it's interesting that the trend goes upward. Is it people that catch up on HBOGo or something? Why do people want to watch a show that they've not yet caught up on?

It's really interesting to me that with two cable television series establishing themselves as events (GoT and The Walking Dead), they're actually doing the opposite of what previous event series (specifically LOST) were doing on network television a few years ago, where the premiere would have big numbers but would always trend downward until the finale in terms of viewers. These cable shows just keep going up and up and up.

Emwitus

24 was also an event

hoos30

Ygritte really put Jon in a tough emotional position. They're really making sure we know he really likes her. ASoS
How will they show him take finding her w/ an arrow trying to defend the wall? Can't wait for next season already.

ASOS speculation Because he's not going to
find her with an arrow, he's going to shoot her himself

ASOS
The people denying that the season will end with Cat's resurrection are kidding themselves. It couldn't be a more obvious cliffhanger for the season. And it fits perfectly with the finale title which considering D&D's love of double meaning will not just refer to Dany.
It would also neatly wrap up
(Baric)Richard Dormer's part in one season. Any time you can wrap an actor instead of bringing them back for a single episode the next year, you might as well take it. They've well established the resurrection process at this point, might as well pay it off before having to remind people next year. Just have them find her and speak the words this year and then next year do the same reveal as the books later in the season to see what she has become. 2 cliffhangers for the price of one.

It would also neatly wrap up
(Baric)Richard Dormer's part in one season. Any time you can wrap an actor instead of bringing them back for a single episode the next year, you might as well take it. They've well established the resurrection process at this point, might as well pay it off before having to remind people next year. Just have them find her and speak the words this year and then next year do the same reveal as the books later in the season to see what she has become. 2 cliffhangers for the price of one.

(Series)
Well, bringing him back for one scene wouldn't really be that difficult to arrange. The timetables wouldn't even preclude him from having other work at the time. And if they can't get him back, they could just play it like the books and have it happen off screen. They're going to run into actor issues with this storyline either way. Michelle Fairley has no book material between the Stoneheart reveal and the end of Feast (which probably won't be until the end of Season 6). Revealing her survival a season early just gives us a whole extra season where she isn't doing anything. They can invent some extra scenes with the Brotherhood to mitigate this some, but that still becomes a bigger issue the more you push things up. Let viewers think that Catelyn is dead during the offseason.

Subitai

I'm talking about non-book readers.

Do you really think they don't look at the Starks and Dany as "the good guys"? You have people believing Jaime lied regarding to Aerys because he's a villain and people saying Stannis is obviously insane and planning to do evil shit if he took the Throne.

Like it or not everyone is rooting for the Starks and Dany.

ASOS
So if the previous episode you're gonna kill half the Starks, at least give them something positive. People are already complaining there's too much fantastic shit and how little tension there is if people can start resurrecting left and right, especially when this show got a lot of attention for being so ballsy when it came to killing characters. It'd make the Red Wedding a lot less meaningful.

Then again, I really hate the concept of Lady Stoneheart, so maybe I'm biased. But I'm sure most people would prefer to end a Season with another badass shot of Dany ruling shit than OMG Zombie Cat.
Yeah, not a huge fan of zombi Cat and diminishing the RW, but revealing her sometime in later in season 4 after LF kills her sister wouldn't fit as well for non readers and worse for them, it would leave lots of time for them to get spoiled with. Especially w/ casting news and stuff. Hopefully there won't be too much disappointment with what the show goes and does to end the season.

Wish they had more time to make Stannis' character more likeable so more people would get behind him.

Yeah, not a huge fan of zombi Cat and diminishing the RW, but revealing her sometime in later in season 4 after LF kills her sister wouldn't fit as well for non readers and worse for them, it would leave lots of time for them to get spoiled with. Especially w/ casting news and stuff. Hopefully there won't be too much disappointment with what the show goes and does to end the season.

Wish they had more time to make Stannis' character more likeable so more people would get behind him.

It's coming. I have to believe it's coming next season.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I love the actors they cast for the Reeds. That's probably my favorite story on the show right now. Great acting all around.

A shame we've seen so little of them so far. I want to see Meera being a badass and hear Jojen going all (nickname spoiler, I guess?)
Little Grandfather
on Bran.

BFIB

(Series)
Well, bringing him back for one scene wouldn't really be that difficult to arrange. The timetables wouldn't even preclude him from having other work at the time. And if they can't get him back, they could just play it like the books and have it happen off screen. They're going to run into actor issues with this storyline either way. Michelle Fairley has no book material between the Stoneheart reveal and the end of Feast (which probably won't be until the end of Season 6). Revealing her survival a season early just gives us a whole extra season where she isn't doing anything. They can invent some extra scenes with the Brotherhood to mitigate this some, but that still becomes a bigger issue the more you push things up. Let viewers think that Catelyn is dead during the offseason.

They could film his scenes ahead of time with Catelyn's resurrection. Still doesn't explain what they are going to do with Catelyn essentially for almost two years time, as far as the show is concerned. Unless they expand her role with the Brotherhood, and Brienne's return.

dubq

A shame we've seen so little of them so far. I want to see Meera being a badass and hear Jojen going all (nickname spoiler, I guess?)
Little Grandfather
on Bran.
Meera has already called him Little Grandfather once in the show.

Slight spoilers:
I have a hard time believing they'll be able to turn around the audience's perception of Stannis.
They're only barely managing to create some pity for Jamie, but most watchers still remember he was the one that attempted to kill Brann - who we see crippled every other scene as a reminder of Jamie's actions.

Divius

So the show is steadily losing me. There's just a bunch of storylines/characters I don't care about and I find it kinda blergh overal.

Are there any big or cool things going to happen any time soon that will revive my interests in the show? I don't care about spoilers, so feel free to tell me whatever.

Slight spoilers:
I have a hard time believing they'll be able to turn around the audience's perception of Stannis.
They're only barely managing to create some pity for Jamie, but most watchers still remember he was the one that attempted to kill Brann - who we see crippled every other scene as a reminder of Jamie's actions.

ASOS
If they keep the scene where Stannis tells Jon about how he had the cart before the horse, and was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, instead of saving the kingdom to win the throne and how Davos convinced him of this, I think we're back on the right track. I especially feel like a dope because I've talked to show watchers about how he's my personal favorite of the "kings" in the books and how I hope he wins the throne.

Zabka

So the show is steadily losing me. There's just a bunch of storylines/characters I don't care about and I find it kinda blergh overal.

Are there any big or cool things going to happen any time soon that will revive my interests in the show? I don't care about spoilers, so feel free to tell me whatever.

Nope

Eidan

None that I can think of. Best jump off the wagon.

Solo

Stick around for 3 more episodes.

Vyer

Not a thing. Just that talking stuff.

Brashnir

The most interesting stuff in the entire series happens between right now and the end of season 4 of the TV show. Stick it out through episode 9.

ezrarh

Dany might get naked again and have lesbo sex. I heard Ygritte starts doing squats after she gets pass the wall. Joffrey adopts multiple puppies and kittens. One of these things is true.

Eidan

Slight spoilers:

ASOS
Why are people so concerned about Stannis' likability? How likable was he at this point in the story?

Yes, major events coming. ASOS:
Episode 9 has the Red Wedding, where Edmure is to be married to one of the Frey girls. Instead, the Freys and Boltons turn on Robb and kill him, his mother, and all this bannermen and army. They do this because they made a deal with Tywin Lannister so that Roose becomes Warden of the North and the Freys get the Riverlands. So yeah, if you count the slaughter of Robb and his entire army a major event, then that is happening soon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Based on the title of the episode, you don't want to miss Episode 9 this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom