• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

So, "thanks" for the replies. Love the contradictory answers. It's not like I was going to stop watching, was just looking for some info.

ezrarh

So, "thanks" for the replies. Love the contradictory answers. It's not like I was going to stop watching, was just looking for some info.

I don't know what you were expecting. If you think that last 6 episodes have lacked excitement then maybe the show really isn't for you. There's going to be a lot of characters and story lines from here on out so it won't get condensed for a while. But there are even bigger moments coming so don't expect it to drag or anything.

Yeah, next episode features my favorite scene from the books period. More hyped for that than I am for episode 9, tbh. Can't wait to see the reactions

Brashnir

Why do y'all go for the extreme stuff?

Next episode has one of the best moments in the entire series

From here til the end of season 4 is a cavalcade of "best moments."

Series
While I'm guessing it wasn't intentional, I found it interesting that Jon and Ygritte literally ended the last episode standing on the precipice between the past and the future, and that's more or less where the story sits now. The ball starts rolling here and basically doesn't slow down again til we're back in the Iron Islands

devilhawk

Some ASoS
There are no "good guys" and "bad guys". :p There is light gray and dark gray characters moving towards the same shade. Dany is probably going to get rid of Jorah this season too, because the show is already alluding to the fact that she, like Ned, for difficult reasons couldn't continue to trust him.
ASoS
That doesn't happen til after the Mereen sewers. So it won't happen this year.

Dawg

ASOS
I only remember Jaime briefly jumping in the pit and running around the bear with Brienne. The bear was killed by crossbow men afterwards. Am I missing a part where Jaime fought the bear?

I have no recollection of this :lol
Dude what?

It's, like, one of the few heroic moments in all the books. I mean, it's not a fight, fight, duh, but it's the thought that counts!

Speaking of, I'm finishing them, and goddamn, Victarion is such a badass. As well as having a ridiculously epic name.

If (series)
the season ends with Cat resurrecting, then that's stupid. You need to give people time to let that event sink in. Though, to be fair, I'm a bit biased seeing as I'm just not a very big fan of Stoneheart. We've yet to see any pay-off to her returning, and it diminished the all-out oomph of the RW.

God, I remember reading the Red Wedding chapter for the first time. Brutal, brilliant writing.

Eidan

If (series)
the season ends with Cat resurrecting, then that's stupid. You need to give people time to let that event sink in. Though, to be fair, I'm a bit biased seeing as I'm just not a very big fan of Stoneheart. We've yet to say any pay-off to her returning, and it diminished the all-out oomph of the RW.

God, I remember reading the Red Wedding chapter for the first time. Brutal, brilliant writing.

Challenge time!

ASOS
Come up with a better season ending hook than Stoneheart.

Solo

Dude what?

It's, like, one of the few heroic moments in all the books.

Speaking of, I'm finishing them, and goddamn, Victarion is such a badass. As well as having a ridiculously epic name.

Like I said, 10 years ago. I've forgotten almost everything outside of RW. ASOS is also the last book I read, so I guess I'll need to switch to the other thread from S5 onwards :lol

hoos30

So the show is steadily losing me. There's just a bunch of storylines/characters I don't care about and I find it kinda blergh overal.

Are there any big or cool things going to happen any time soon that will revive my interests in the show? I don't care about spoilers, so feel free to tell me whatever.

If Dany didn't do it for you in episode 4, its time to bail out now and put your entertainment hours to better use.

-griffy-

Banned
Challenge time!

ASOS

This is a chapter summary of a Samwell chapter from ASOS, and in my mind the obvious season closer:
Sam and Gilly have reached what appears to be Whitetree, and Sam prays to the old gods to protect them. They camp in one of the huts for the night, but Sam is woken by shapes moving within. The corpse of Small Paul comes after Sam, and he tries to stab it with the obsidian dagger, but it shatters upon contact with Paul’s chainmail. Despairing, Sam thrusts a burning stick from the campfire in the wight’s mouth, setting it on fire. Outside the hut, the wights begin to surround Gilly and her infant son after killing their horse. Thinking all is lost, a raven lands on Sam’s shoulder, and suddenly thousands of ravens fly from the branches of the weirwood tree to tear the wights to pieces. The raven perching on Sam's shoulder speaks, telling him to go, and he and Gilly begin to run south, but without their horse they fear they'll be overtaken by wights. Suddenly a voice calls out, "Brother! Here." From the falling snow appears a man dressed all in black astride a great elk. When Sam reaches up for the man’s bare hand, Sam notices his hand is black and cold as ice.

Victarion

ASOS
So Jon's probably going to kill Orell next episode and run to Castle Black, which leaves only Turmond and Ygritte. I guess that means no wilding attack from the south on Castle Black?

Eidan

ASOS
After the Red Wedding, I'd think they'd want a season finale that will really get people talking and eager to come back after seeing the hopes of Stark victory go up in smoke.

I just don't see Coldhands being a better ending than Stoneheart.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
This is a chapter summary of a Samwell chapter from ASOS, and in my mind the obvious season closer:
Sam and Gilly have reached what appears to be Whitetree, and Sam prays to the old gods to protect them. They camp in one of the huts for the night, but Sam is woken by shapes moving within. The corpse of Small Paul comes after Sam, and he tries to stab it with the obsidian dagger, but it shatters upon contact with Paul’s chainmail. Despairing, Sam thrusts a burning stick from the campfire in the wight’s mouth, setting it on fire. Outside the hut, the wights begin to surround Gilly and her infant son after killing their horse. Thinking all is lost, a raven lands on Sam’s shoulder, and suddenly thousands of ravens fly from the branches of the weirwood tree to tear the wights to pieces. The raven perching on Sam's shoulder speaks, telling him to go, and he and Gilly begin to run south, but without their horse they fear they'll be overtaken by wights. Suddenly a voice calls out, "Brother! Here." From the falling snow appears a man dressed all in black astride a great elk. When Sam reaches up for the man’s bare hand, Sam notices his hand is black and cold as ice.

ASOS
Oh god I want it so, so, so bad.

ASOS
After the Red Wedding, I'd think they'd want a season finale that will really get people talking and eager to come back after seeing the hopes of Stark victory go up in smoke.

This. I know a lot here
don't like Stoneheart but I just don't see people wanting to see Sam again as the final shot, Stoneheart makes way more sense to me

Rom1944

Dude what?

It's, like, one of the few heroic moments in all the books. I mean, it's not a fight, fight, duh, but it's the thought that counts!

Yeah Victarion Pov are my favorites followed by Jaime.

I must say i was dissapointed in the first episodes of this season but it catching up real kick and is becoming my favorite one.

-griffy-

Banned
ASOS

I don't get why they would undermine the impact of RW in the very next episode. And it fits with the whitewalkers being almost like bookends to each season so far (Prologue of Season 1, Season 2 finale, season 3 opening).

I think it's either that or it's simply Dany sacking Yunkai and her riding by everyone as they chant out "Mother! Mother!" and it consecutively cuts to wider and wider shots as the music swells, before we see the entire scope of her army and a dragon flies right by the camera and we cut to black.

I don't get why they would undermine the impact of RW in the very next episode. And it fits with the whitewalkers being almost like bookends to each season so far (Prologue of Season 1, Season 2 finale, season 3 opening).

I think it's either that or it's simply Dany sacking Yunkai and her riding by everyone as they chant out "Mother! Mother!" and it consecutively cuts to wider and wider shots as the music swells, before we see the entire scope of her army and a dragon flies right by the camera and we cut to black.

AFFC
Yeah, I think it will be Dany in Yunkai ending the season. Although I'd rather it was something else.

I think it would be best to leave out Stoneheart until maybe Brienne sees her. Just have stories of Frey's getting hanged told throughout the next couple of seasons, and mention a new Brotherhood leader. I do think showing her in Episode 10 would be too soon.

flyover

Challenge time!

ASOS

Well, it's related... I think they should [ASOS]
save Stoneheart for next season, but close the season with (as I said earlier in the thread) the Brotherhood dragging Cat's body from the river. We get a shot of Beric, to remind us of his throat wound. And then a shot of Cat, showing her slit throat. It doesn't explicitly spell out what's to happen, but it's a pretty damn big hint, and it hooks people to see what happens next.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[ASoS]
I wonder what happens to Talisa in the show. I kept thinking she'd probably die at the Red Wedding, since there's no more use for her character after Robb dies, but then, why would she be at the Red Wedding in the first place? Book-Robb was at least smart enough to not bring his offending bride to the Twins, you'd think TV-Robb would have at least that much sense too.

So, let's assume Talisa isn't at the RW. What happens to her then? With Jeyne Westerling, it made sense for her to be in Lannister custody since her mother was part of the Lannister/Frey/Bolton plot anyway, but some wench from Volantis? Where would they take her story then? Some have theorized she was a Lannister spy but I think that'd be awful writing and I don't buy it.

Maybe she'll follow the gang at the Twins, but will stay outside (to not offend the Freys), you know, where the Hound and Arya see the massacre of Northmen unfolding. And that's where she'll die. What do you all think?

ASOS
So Jon's probably going to kill Orell next episode and run to Castle Black, which leaves only Turmond and Ygritte. I guess that means no wilding attack from the south on Castle Black?

[ASoS]
I just rewatched Episode 3 to see what exactly Mance told Tormund to do after climbing the Wall. He basically just said to take 20 men, and hide outside Castle Black until he gets the signal from Mance to attack.

Then in the climbing scene I think about half of the guys got knocked off the wall. So that should leave about 10 guys still. I'd be disappointed if they completely cut the first attack on Castle Black out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do it this season. Unless Jon and Summer tear up all of the wildlings at Queenscrown? But then where would that leave Ygritte? Its not like Ygritte and Tormund are just going to go back over the wall and rejoin Mance- that would be silly. Have Jon get away and get back to the Wall and alert everyone to prep the defenses. And leave him at the end of the season on top of the Wall with Mance's army in the distance maybe. Might be too similar to last year's ending though.

[ASoS]
I wonder what happens to Talisa in the show. I kept thinking she'd probably die at the Red Wedding, since there's no more use for her character after Robb dies, but then, why would she be at the Red Wedding in the first place? Book-Robb was at least smart enough to not bring his offending bride to the Twins, you'd think TV-Robb would have at least that much sense too.

So, let's assume Talisa isn't at the RW. What happens to her then? With Jeyne Westerling, it made sense for her to be in Lannister custody since her mother was part of the Lannister/Frey/Bolton plot anyway, but some wench from Volantis? Where would they take her story then? Some have theorized she was a Lannister spy but I think that'd be awful writing and I don't buy it.

Maybe she'll follow the gang at the Twins, but will stay outside (to not offend the Freys), you know, where the Hound and Arya see the massacre of Northmen unfolding. And that's where she'll die. What do you all think?

[ASoS]
Yeah... I hope they don't go the Lannister spy route. I could see the show justify Robb bringing her along if they want to just kill her off and tie up her story, even though it would make TV Robb look dumb once again whereas at least Book Robb had the foresight to leave Jeyne behind for security and respect reasons with Frey. I don't know. I wouldn't put it past the show to gloss over Robb bringing her to the wedding just so they can have some romantic tragic death together.

God... I really hope the show doesn't screw up the Red Wedding scenes.

Eidan

ASOS
I don't see them allowing Cat's resurrection to happen off screen, and since the show has never used flashbacks, they will likely prefer to show it when it occurs in the narrative, which would be around the season finale.

Does it potentially undermine the impact of the RW? Maybe. But I think a part of that is unavoidable. Stoneheart's very existence undermines it.

I don't see them ending on Yunkai, as the ending you described would almost be a retread of the end of episode 4.

-griffy-

Banned
ASOS:
Looks like Coldhands is introduced in episode 8, but what if they don't reveal he's a wight of some form until the finale somehow? I don't know. Yunkai seems most likely though.

Eidan

Well, it's related... I think they should
save Stoneheart for next season, but close the season with (as I said earlier in the thread) the Brotherhood dragging Cat's body from the river. We get a shot of Beric, to remind us of his throat wound. And then a shot of Cat, showing her slit throat. It doesn't explicitly spell out what's to happen, but it's a pretty damn big hint, and it hooks people to see what happens next.

ASOS
It would be cool if they show the Brotherhood finding Catelyn, attempt to bring her back, and leave the results of their attempt ambiguous.

I still see the final shot being Stoneheart opening her eyes.

kirblar

Slight spoilers:
I have a hard time believing they'll be able to turn around the audience's perception of Stannis.
They're only barely managing to create some pity for Jamie, but most watchers still remember he was the one that attempted to kill Brann - who we see crippled every other scene as a reminder of Jamie's actions.
Stannis going to the wall when no one else will is a big deal.

[ASoS]

ASOS/Season 3 MAJOR
She will go to the RW in the show, she's the first one killed. (Gutshot confirmed)

Brashnir

ASOS:
Looks like Coldhands is introduced in episode 8, but what if they don't reveal he's a wight of some form until the finale somehow? I don't know. Yunkai seems most likely though.

ASOS
They could end with Sam and Gilly running into Bran and Co.

Massa

AFFC
Yeah, I think it will be Dany in Yunkai ending the season. Although I'd rather it was something else.

I think it would be best to leave out Stoneheart until maybe Brienne sees her. Just have stories of Frey's getting hanged told throughout the next couple of seasons, and mention a new Brotherhood leader. I do think showing her in Episode 10 would be too soon.

ASOS
I think not showing her in episode 10 would be too late. If she comes back a whole year after the RW then people would start questioning who else might come back from the dead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS/Season 3 MAJOR
She will go to the RW in the show, she's the first one killed. (Gutshot confirmed)
Wha...? How do you know this?

Damn now I wish I hadn't read that.

I have the script that shows all the spoilers in blue text instead of black bars, cause I hated highlighting the entire damn thread, but now it means accidentally reading that kind of stuff. Bah. It'd have been better to have a TV thread for book readers without using tags except for show stuff that hasn't aired yet (like this above, or the dead Ros pics earlier). Too many black bars is like not enough, really.

kirblar

Wha...? How do you know this?

Damn now I wish I hadn't read that.

I have the script that shows all the spoilers in blue text instead of black bars, cause I hated highlighting the damn thing, but now it means accidentally reading that kind of stuff. Bah. It'd have been better to have a TV thread for book readers without using tags except for show stuff that hasn't aired yet (like this above, or the dead Ros pics earlier). Too many black bars is like not enough, really.
Just spec on the show changes (ASOS)
When they changed her origin, the obvious reason was to be able to kill her off at the RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom