• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyover

ASOS/Season 3 MAJOR
She will go to the RW in the show, she's the first one killed. (Gutshot confirmed)

That would be interesting if
she does go (I have no idea if that's the case), they kill her first, and everyone watching is thinking, "Oh my God, they killed Rob's wi- OH SHIT THEY'RE KILLING EVERYONE!

Stannis going to the wall when no one else will is a big deal.

Hell yes. [ASoS]
I remember reading the bit when Stannis and his cavalry come out of nowhere with their banners in the air and descend on Mance's camp. I think I stood up and fist pumped the air when I was reading that. So awesome. Really hope they have that moment in the show. Such a good reveal.

ASOS/Season 3 MAJOR
She will go to the RW in the show, she's the first one killed. (Gutshot confirmed)

[ASoS MAJOR spoiler]
Oh really? Gutshot? I guess she's maybe taking Dacey Mormont's place then. Have her go up to some Frey and get swatted back, then Cat goes and feels the chainmail underneath, Robb stands up and commence crossbows. Really hope they have somebody play the role of the Smalljon. He goes down like a badass. I wish they had developer more of Robb's bannermen. Would have made the RW feel more significant than just Robb and Cat dying.

ASOS
I think not showing her in episode 10 would be too late. If she comes back a whole year after the RW then people would start questioning who else might come back from the dead.

ASOS
True. I'm not completely sold on the idea of her appearance in episode 10, but I do agree that there's a pretty good chance it will happen. And maybe it will work out.

If (series)
the season ends with Cat resurrecting, then that's stupid. You need to give people time to let that event sink in. Though, to be fair, I'm a bit biased seeing as I'm just not a very big fan of Stoneheart. We've yet to see any pay-off to her returning, and it diminished the all-out oomph of the RW.

God, I remember reading the Red Wedding chapter for the first time. Brutal, brilliant writing.

Yep.
Ending it like that would be a bad idea. For one, you wont get enough context to know what she is at that point. Secondly, that would diminish the impact of the RW as people would think if she can come back, maybe so can he. Most people would infact fully expect that to happen next season. Takes away the finality of the whole thing.

Fey

Banned
ASOS/Season 3 MAJOR

Wow, really? series/Season 3
I suppose that confirms Jeyne isn't going to play a big role in the next books, and the "Robb's wife is pregnant" theories are untrue. :(

Challenge time!

ASOS
Come up with a better season ending hook than Stoneheart.

With the freed Yunkai slaves all chanting 'Mother'. It's the perfect end of season moment, and what I've assumed all along will be the end of this season (ever since the split was announced).

ASOS
They could end with Sam and Gilly running into Bran and Co.

(Series)
That leaves Bran with absolutely nothing to do in Season 4, though. They can put some extra stuff with them traveling past the wall, but Bran only has 3 chapters in Dance, which they would then have to stretch out over the next 3+ seasons if they ended there. I think it's more likely the season ends with Osha and Rickon deciding to break off in a different direction, and Bran and co heading towards the Nightfort. Then they can arrive there and meet Sam and Gilly in Season 4.

Fey

Banned
(Series)
That leaves Bran with absolutely nothing to do in Season 4, though. They can put some extra stuff with them traveling past the wall, but Bran only has 3 chapters in Dance, which they would then have to stretch out over the next 3+ seasons if they ended there. I think it's more likely the season ends with Osha and Rickon deciding to break off in a different direction, and Bran and co heading towards the Nightfort. Then they can arrive there and meet Sam and Gilly in Season 4.

series
I think with Sansa and Bran (and anyone else who was kind of shunned in AFFC/DWD) they will either be adding scenes to their story (like with Theon right now), or have their WoW arcs moved up a bit.

Yep.
Ending it like that would be a bad idea. For one, you wont get enough context to know what she is at that point. Secondly, that would diminish the impact of the RW as people would think if she can come back, maybe so can he. Most people would infact fully expect that to happen next season. Takes away the finality of the whole thing.

(ASOS)
It'll be pretty clear what she is and why they can't do the same thing with Robb, due to all the buildup we've seen so far with the BWB and Arya asking if its possible to bring back a man without a head. I think we're going to get to actually see Robb with Greywind's head instead of just hearing about it

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, really? series/Season 3
I suppose that confirms Jeyne isn't going to play a big role in the next books, and the "Robb's wife is pregnant" theories are untrue. :(
[series/S3 spoilers]
To be honest, I never believed those theories in the first place. So I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy finally being rid of Talisa. First Ros, then her? Best season ever. xD

.... >_>

series
I think with Sansa and Bran (and anyone else who was kind of shunned in AFFC/DWD) they will either be adding scenes to their story (like with Theon right now), or have their WoW arcs moved up a bit.

(series)
Sure, and I expect that to some extent (although Sansa can also stretch out her material some, her Feast chapters generally have big jumps in time between them), but if they finish Bran's Storm of Swords story in Season 3, they'll be running into that problem even sooner. It doesn't make sense to start dipping into his Dance story in Season 4, and then probably need his Winds material by Season 5 or 6 (and who knows how much material he'll have there). The Queenscrown encounter with Jon in Episode 9 will be Bran's big climax for this season, and we'll probably just get a short bit in the finale with Osha parting ways, leaving him to still have traveling to the Nightfort and meeting Sam for Season 4.

If (series)
the season ends with Cat resurrecting, then that's stupid. You need to give people time to let that event sink in. Though, to be fair, I'm a bit biased seeing as I'm just not a very big fan of Stoneheart. We've yet to see any pay-off to her returning, and it diminished the all-out oomph of the RW.

God, I remember reading the Red Wedding chapter for the first time. Brutal, brilliant writing.

9 months isn't enough time to let it sink in?
I think ending with cats resurrection (or perhaps Donderrian and Thoros coming upon her body) works well for the ending of this season because it gives a semblence of hope to just the viewers who have then following 9 months or so to water coolor chat that shit up about "IS SHE GONNA BE RESURRECTED?! IS SHE STILL ALIVE?! OMG?! CAN THEY SAVE ROBB AS WELL??!
I have no problems if that is how they want to go about it.
It also gives them a reason to keep her in a few episodes of season 4. I think when it comes down to it, She is going to appear in a few episodes of season 4, they aren't going to save her for the 4th finale
It wouldn't make for good television in my opinion.

Subitai

[series/S3 spoilers]
To be honest, I never believed those theories in the first place. So I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy finally being rid of Talisa. First Ros, then her? Best season ever. xD

.... >_>
I mixed feelings about how they handled Talisa. Why didn't they just call her "Jane" then and have him fall in love with florence nightengale style? Anyway, the upside is this will just make the Freys and Tywin that much more reviled.

Didn't mind Ros either but I'm suprised they felt they could leave the window into the lowborn life of King's Landing to Shae alone now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thread is a minefield even for book readers now lol, I'm halfway through ADWD but I'm going to start being more careful, first I heard about Ros kicking the bucket before watching [S3 show spoiler]
and now I know about Talisa dying at the RW
. Looks like "show/season spoiler" will have to become a more popular tag the more the show diverges from the books.

kirblar

I mixed feelings about how they handled Talisa. Why didn't they just call her "Jane" then and have him fall in love with florence nightengale style? Anyway, the upside is this will just make the Freys and Tywin that much more reviled.

Didn't mind Ros either but I'm suprised they felt they could leave the window into the lowborn life of King's Landing to Shae alone now.
Because it saved them the energy of having to explain this tiny little Lannister-connected noble house.

Enosh

Because it saved them the energy of having to explain this tiny little Lannister-connected noble house.
series I guess
but they had to explain her tiny little foreign noble house so i don't see how this was any improvement at all

her telling about how her family is under the lannisters would take up about the same screen time as her explaining her backstory from Volantis (or esos? idk anymore) so I really don't get the need for the change there, i guess they saved on 3 guest actors?

kirblar

series I guess
but they had to explain her tiny little foreign noble house so i don't see how this was any improvement at all

her telling about how her family is under the lannisters would take up about the same screen time as her explaining her backstory from Volantis (or esos? idk anymore) so I really don't get the need for the change there, i guess they saved on 3 guest actors?
It removes any political repercussions from her possible demise, as she's a foreign girl in a far-away land. The producers have to work to minimize on-screen complexity when possible.

series I guess

If anything I think it made things more confusing for viewers.
Robb falls in love with a Lannister bannerman is a pretty easy story to convey. Robb falls in love with some woman from this other place you've never heard of takes a lot more time to set up (complete with us having to get scenes with Talisa talking about what Volantis is like).

kirblar

It's not kosher to say it in that thread so I'll say it here.

The other thread is like a drug to me. So good.
ASOS
It's very awkward to see people accused of "spoiling" the Bastard's identity when the TV Show is intentionally giving the audience solvable hints along the way. (The AV Club spoiler-free reviewer figured it out on his own, for instance.)

Levi

Banned
They aren't hints. The show flat out says who is leading the force to liberate Winterfell in Season Two. They deliberately have Theon attached to a cross that resembles that person's sigil, which had been on screen since season two. In season two, only one Lord told Robb to skin his prisoners, claiming "In my family we say: A naked man has few secrets; a flayed man, none." The man torturing Theon has been called bastard on screen.

So why do we keep blacking out a character from ACOK in the book readers thread? Surely no one here is confused about who has Theon.

I get why illiterate people, for whom reading an entire book is an impossible challenge, are too dumb to figure out who has Theon. But this isn't their thread, is it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To whoever thought show-Stannis wasn't a strong deviation from book-Stannis: apparently many viewers think Stannis is so awful, he's worse than Joffrey. Have the showrunners failed that much at portraying Stannis, or are these viewers just... well, I'll be charitable and just say "blind and clueless" instead of what I really mean. xD

Eidan

To whoever thought show-Stannis wasn't a strong deviation from book-Stannis: apparently many viewers think Stannis is so awful, he's worse than Joffrey. Have the showrunners failed that much at portraying Stannis, or are these viewers just... well, I'll be charitable and just say "blind and clueless" instead of what I really mean. xD

Again I ask, for those who are concerned about Stannis's likability: what was so likable about Stannis at this point in the story?

Also, the non-book readers seem to largely be very saddened by Ros's passing. It really goes to show how all of you people are monsters.

Give it a bit more time. Most Stannis supporters didn't really warm up to him until ASOS
he came to the wall

Sorry, didn't realize ASOS needed to be spoilered, I had assumed anybody who hangs in this thread would have at least read book 3.

Trasher

Again I ask, for those who are concerned about Stannis's likability: what was so likable about Stannis at this point in the story?

Also, the non-book readers seem to largely be very saddened by Ros's passing. It really goes to show how all of you people are monsters.

I never understood the Stannis hype.

I agree that show Stannis is a strong deviation from book Stannis and it's unfortunate because book is such a great "Lawful Neutral" specimen. BUT even in the books I think he's an awful potential king. And I think you shouldn't be so sensitive in the virgin thread, lol.

-griffy-

Banned

There are also quite a few people in the non-book thread who really like Stannis. It's not a one-sided thing at all over there. In fact, it seems to mirror book-readers opinions on the character quite accurately, as he's clearly not a universally liked character based on this very thread.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree that show Stannis is a strong deviation from book Stannis and it's unfortunate because book is such a great "Lawful Neutral" specimen. BUT even in the books I think he's an awful potential king. And I think you shouldn't be so sensitive in the virgin thread, lol.
It's not that, I just can't fathom how anyone could think he's worse than a king who ordered the mass murder of infants just because he could, and that's just the start of Joffrey's atrocities. And I'm basing this on show material only, too.

It's not that, I just can't fathom how anyone could think he's worse than a king who ordered the mass murder of infants just because he could, and that's just the start of Joffrey's atrocities. And I'm basing this on show material only, too.

Well, that's a good point. Baby killing is worse than brother killing/daughter imprisoning (on the show we still don't know what Greyscale is or anything after all). But I also think Nathan is being a little tongue in cheek and/or trolling you a little bit.

Eidan

Evasion noted.

Evasion? I'm asking the question because I find the premise of your question to be off base. I think the show has done a great job of adapting Stannis. So what if some people find him unlikable? He's not necessarily a likable character at this point in the story anyway.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure the guy you're citing has read the books.

I really like how consistent the dialogue is when I think about Bran telling Osha "you pulled a knife on me the first time we met". All the Starks are properly characterized in that concise and pragmatic way. It reminded me of Ned's "which of you was a marksman at 10?" from the pilot. Such an awesome contrast with anyone from say, KL who would never be that direct. All the characters like Tyrion, Littlefinger, etc get their zingers in too, but they have those great verbal gymnastics to get there. Ned, Bran, Robb, Jon and Arya are so utilitarian and to the point when they talk by comparison and I love how the show nails that.

Levi

Banned
You can't expect non readers to have informed opinions on characters they only know from the show. You just can't. Their experience of these characters is fundamentally different from a readers. They only get the thug Blackfish. They don't get the shades of gray in Tyrion. They don't get to know a Stannis motivated by a strong sense of what is just and right, but one ensorcelled by a red witch.

This is why I hate seeing their reaction posts quoted here. Their experience is so different from mine, I get no value from their POV.

Eidan

I actually like Stannis quite a bit. But I think the perception that the show's version of the character is some drastic deviation from the book version is, frankly, bullshit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They don't get to know a Stannis motivated by a strong sense of what is just and right, but one ensorcelled by a red witch.
I know. That's why I said I'm basing this discussion on show material. Even going purely by the show content, I can't think of any character worse than Joffrey except maybe Theon's torturer and Gregor Clegane (both of whom we haven't seen much of yet). So I just wonder how these guys (admittedly they're a minority) came to this conclusion that Stannis is worse than Joffrey. Something in how he's portrayed on TV, or they're just blind to Joffrey's monstrosities?
Edit: someone said he might be trolling. I guess that's possible but he seems to really believe that. -shrugs-

In fact, book-Joffrey isn't even as bad as that, though he was certainly an awful person. Many of his atrocities from the show [not really a spoiler but a book difference]
were actually Cersei's doing
and some were just made up for the show.

I actually like Stannis quite a bit. But I think the perception that the show's version of the character is some drastic deviation from the book version is, frankly, bullshit.

Well, there was that weird lusting scene with Melisandre earlier in the season. Not to mention him imprisoning Davos and viewing him as a traitor.

Eidan

Well, there was that weird lusting scene with Melisandre earlier in the season. Not to mention him imprisoning Davos and viewing him as a traitor.

The scene with Melisandre can easily be interpreted as Stannis' desperation to use her abilities to kill the rest of his enemies.

And imprisoning Davos for attempting to assassinate Melisandre RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM seems perfectly in line with Stannis's character.

You can't expect non readers to have informed opinions on characters they only know from the show. You just can't. Their experience of these characters is fundamentally different from a readers. They only get the thug Blackfish. They don't get the shades of gray in Tyrion. They don't get to know a Stannis motivated by a strong sense of what is just and right, but one ensorcelled by a red witch.

This is why I hate seeing their reaction posts quoted here. Their experience is so different from mine, I get no value from their POV.

There's this little thing called the "Song of Fire and Ice" thread on these forums that you could also go to to swish wine and smoke cigars to your heart's content.

The scene with Melisandre can easily be interpreted as Stannis' desperation to use her abilities to kill the rest of his enemies.

And imprisoning Davos for attempting to assassinate Melisandre RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM seems perfectly in line with Stannis's character.

Agreed. I thought the lust scene was simply a bad scene, but it didn't feel out of character; and of course Davos does get thrown in prison in the book, and Stannis doesn't object. I'm a Stannis fanboy but I don't see why people are complaining about him being "off." I wish he had a monologue or something, but that wouldn't convince people to like him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom