• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
There's this little thing called the "Song of Fire and Ice" thread on these forums that you could also go to to swish wine and smoke cigars to your heart's content.

There's also a BOOK READERS thread for discussing the show. Show discussion doesn't belong there, it goes here. I would no more discuss Talisa there than I would the Westerlings in the illiterates thread.

And fuck off with the wine and cigars. I don't poison my body with that shit.

Theon's torturer and Gregor Clegane (both of whom we haven't seen much of yet).

Oh god, yes. This.

I don't care much about Theon's torturer yet because he really wasn't well known at this time in the books, but it's such a damn shame that Ser Gregor Clegane, The Mountain, is barely addressed.

I mean, I got pretty sick of the character by this point because every damn time he's brought up you get a nice detailed explanation of how he brutally raped or killed someone just for the lols, something the show has barely mentioned. It made you respect the character and hate him.

I'm afraid that'll be a big deal when ASOS
he has the duel. I remember thinking, once they said Clegane would be Cersei's champion, that was merely to say "nope, there ain't gonna be a duel this time". And once the duel happened, I don't think I've ever cheered more for a character to win. But of course not. In fact, I remember getting so frustrated at the end of the duel, I actually looked up when would he die, the only time I've actively wanted to get something spoiled, because I really, really wanted him to die. No other character has ever had such an effect.

All that is gonna be lost in the show because the only scene The Mountain was truly terrifying was back in Season 1. And since then, he has changed the actor and everything. Now I'm sure we won't get Conan Stevens on that fucking awesome black knight armor for Season 4, and that's probably gonna be my biggest disappointment.

Trufact: I cared a lot more about the Duel than the Red Wedding.

Lkr

Hell yes. [ASoS]
I remember reading the bit when Stannis and his cavalry come out of nowhere with their banners in the air and descend on Mance's camp. I think I stood up and fist pumped the air when I was reading that. So awesome. Really hope they have that moment in the show. Such a good reveal.

[ASoS MAJOR spoiler]
Oh really? Gutshot? I guess she's maybe taking Dacey Mormont's place then. Have her go up to some Frey and get swatted back, then Cat goes and feels the chainmail underneath, Robb stands up and commence crossbows. Really hope they have somebody play the role of the Smalljon. He goes down like a badass. I wish they had developer more of Robb's bannermen. Would have made the RW feel more significant than just Robb and Cat dying.

do they [asos]
play the rains of castamere at the RW? i know they do at joffrey's, but i can't remember

do they [asos]
play the rains of castamere at the RW? i know they do at joffrey's, but i can't remember

Yeah. (ASOS)
Catelyn hears it being played and that's when everything clicks into place for her and she realizes what's about to happen.

There's also a BOOK READERS thread for discussing the show. Show discussion doesn't belong there, it goes here. I would no more discuss Talisa there than I would the Westerlings in the illiterates thread.

No, it's the no book spoilers thread. This thread is for readers and viewers alike to discuss the show.

Judging a person's intelligence by what they do or don't read is laughably childish, hence the elitist-wanabe joke.

Lkr

holy shit show/asos spoilers about speculation from the other thread:
watching them talk "what ifs" in regards to a dany/robb meetup has me hotly anticipating the RW. I mean will they be caught off guard? To me it seemed a bit obvious that SOMETHING was going to happen there

and good god they hate stannis and think he is worse or just as bad as joff... :x

Eidan

How does one find themselves on such a high horse simply from reading a popular fantasy series?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
holy shit show/asos spoilers about speculation from the other thread:
watching them talk "what ifs" in regards to a dany/robb meetup has me hotly anticipating the RW. I mean will they be caught off guard? To me it seemed a bit obvious that SOMETHING was going to happen there

and good god they hate stannis and think he is worse or just as bad as joff... :x

Series
The show has done a good job and building Robb up to be a main character he never was in the books. I think that the impact of the event could be greater than it was in the books because of that. Robb was never a point of view character, and Catelyn is away from him during a good portion of the war.

For all the talk of Martin killing off everyone, he really has only killed off two characters that could have been considered "main", as far as the narrative is concerned. Ned, who was certainly built up as a main character in the first book, and Catelyn, who I'd argue never was really a "main" character, just a point of view witness to big events. This is why I don't think for a second that Jon is dead in ADWD, because it really would make his whole arc pointless. The rest of his big deaths have really been for characters we liked, but weren't really part of the big story.

Snake

Folks, arguing with or even addressing VsRobot is as useless as nipples on a breastplate.

Gutshot posted in a GAF post if I recall correctly, and there's nothing else beyond what I said.

I could dig it up later, don't really want to right now lol.
Part of the confusion was that a couple people thought **HUGE SEASON 3 / ASOS SPOILERS**
that, based on what you said, Talisa was going to literally die of a gutshot from an arrow. lol

Loofy

These blu ray extras are nice and all. But how amazing would it be if HBO did an animatrix type compilation with GoT? HBO seems to be set on never having any flashbacks in the show(which is probably a good thing), but theres numerous flashbacks in the book that people are missing.

Atsumi

These blu ray extras are nice and all. But how amazing would it be if HBO did an animatrix type compilation with GoT? HBO seems to be set on never having any flashbacks in the show(which is probably a good thing), but theres numerous flashbacks in the book that people are missing.

That could be cool. With the different animators doing their interpretation of each sequence?

hoos30

It takes HBO a year to produce ten episodes. We'd all be old and wrinkled by the time they got around to an Animatrix project.

Levi

Banned
How does one find themselves on such a high horse simply from reading a popular fantasy series?

Anyone can read the series, it's not something to lord over people who don't want to. It's wrong for readers to post in that thread, and every one who quotes that thread here seems to be doing it to laugh at nonreaders for not knowing what is coming next.

Which of course they don't, because they didn't read the book. Let them enjoy the show the way they want to. There is no "right" way to like GoT. While I think the show runners are failing at creating a stand alone series, that is what they are attempting, so if people choose to consume it without the background the books provide let them.

They don't want or need you to go in their thread to explain why their opinions about the show and its characters are wrong.

I hate how much of this thread is people acting like knowing what happens in a book that came out over ten years ago is some kind of big deal.

I'll say nonreaders from now on. (Even though they are more than happy to call me a book nerd, but whatever.)

-griffy-

Banned
It's wrong for readers to post in that thread, and every one who quotes that thread here seems to be doing it to laugh at nonreaders for not knowing what is coming next.
I think that's a colossal misreading. It's a way for us to be amused and relive our own thoughts as we read the series, because they are doing the same kind of speculation and are going to experience the same HOLY SHIT stuff that we all experienced via the TV series. I don't think anyone is actively laughing simply at their ignorance. More like, "Oh man, when they see this they are gonna lose it!"

Massa

To whoever thought show-Stannis wasn't a strong deviation from book-Stannis: apparently many viewers think Stannis is so awful, he's worse than Joffrey. Have the showrunners failed that much at portraying Stannis, or are these viewers just... well, I'll be charitable and just say "blind and clueless" instead of what I really mean. xD

Not at all. I didn't read books 2-5 until after watching season 2 and Stannis was instantly one of my favorite characters just from the show. Stephen Dillane doesn't get enough credit.

I guess he's just not everyone's cup of tea... SERIES
though that might change soon.

No, Stannis isn't as bad as Joffrey, but it's telling that he's the closest character in terms of despicability (aside from random no-namers and less important characters).
He killed his baby brother, turned his back on the gods of the realm just for the sake of power, sexed up his priestess despite being married (okay, that's a really minor fault all considering), and locking up his disfigured daughter in addition to neglecting her and treating her brusquely the moment she stops talking about him.

He's really nothing more than a power hungry, borderline-sociopathic, foolish old geezer that wants the throne because he feels entitled to it according to the rules of lineage or something.

Massa

No, Stannis isn't as bad as Joffrey, but it's telling that he's the closest character in terms of despicability (aside from random no-namers and less important characters).
He killed his baby brother, turned his back on the gods of the realm just for the sake of power, sexed up his priestess despite being married (okay, that's a really minor fault all considering), and locking up his disfigured daughter in addition to neglecting her and treating her brusquely the moment she stops talking about him.

He's really nothing more than a power hungry, borderline-sociopathic, foolish old geezer that wants the throne because he feels entitled to it according to the rules of lineage or something.

He turned his back on the gods because he's doesn't believe in them, not for power.

Edit: here's a quote from the books.
"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men.

He killed his traitor brother.

He didn't lock up his daughter.

He's the rightful heir to the throne. Bend the knee or he'll destroy you.

Speaking of Stannis...

ASOS spoilers:
I can't wait for when Stannis comes to the wall next season. That was quite possibly my favorite part of the book.

Tabris

Do you think the show will do a "Robert's Rebellion" set of flashback episodes / single season?

I haven't read any of the books, but read that one of the books goes through what happened.

Btw, it might be a good idea if the book readers lay off the stannis defending in the non-spoiler thread.
Saying that X character has been badly adapted from the books, is kinda *hint* *hint*, "He's meant to be awesome, (you just wait and see)" is kinda borderline spoilering.

Man, I can't believe I've actually read that.

sir-gregor-clegane-juego-de-tronos.jpg

Some day, they'll learn. Stannis isn't even close to the same ballpark of pure evil that Joffrey, Gregor or Theon's torturer are. It's not really comparable. Tywin and Cersei are both much more villanous than Stannis could ever hope to be. Especially Tywin. People forgive him because Charles Dance is boss maximus.

ADWD
I cannot wait to see more of this Robert Strong "guy".

ronito

One thing I love about the books is how they pose the question of who should rule.

Stannis is king by rights. But no one wants him.
Renly, the people loved him. But he wasn't able to withstand treachery
The Starks were all deeply honorable. And that's what did them in
Kelly C (series/ADWD spoilers)
she starts off as a good ruler but lets her soft heart stay her hand and doesn't do what is necessary
Really in Tywinn and Oleanna that the terrifying people are the only ones that can rule in a dysfunctional place.

Man, I can't believe I've actually read that.

sir-gregor-clegane-juego-de-tronos.jpg

Some day, they'll learn. Stannis isn't even close to the same ballpark of pure evil that Joffrey, Gregor or Theon's torturer are. It's not really comparable. Tywin and Cersei are both much more villanous than Stannis could ever hope to be. Especially Tywin. People forgive him because Charles Dance is boss maximus.

ADWD
I cannot wait to see more of this Robert Strong "guy".

I just like teasing the book readers and stannis stanners :p
He's not that bad tbh, just really gullible/malleable/dumb.
Right now, he's looking like nothing more than the lovesick puppy of that sorceress. That's what show watchers are getting, I think.

For real though, Lannisters are mostly evil and the Starks are the good guys - no shade of greys!

Massa

Does anyone know who is narrating this teaser?

Also, there was a teaser narrated by Stannis
We must do our duty
. Does anyone remember which one it was?

Um, have you read the books?

Yes. Have you?

In the books, Stannis had nothing to do with that, and
when he finally did see Davos again, he greeted him warmly and made him his hand. It was Melisandre and Axell Florent who were responsible for locking up Davos. Stannis was pretty much out of the picture at that point, and no one was even seeing him.

Lothar

Banned
I don't get Dumb Bitch for Catelyn. That's a weird one. If her stupid son had only listened to her, they wouldn't be having so many problems. Theon would never been able to take over Winterfell for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom