• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the last straw HBO. I am never watching GoT again. I'll be cancelling my subscription and urging my friends and co-workers to do the same.

Trasher

Shireen should have black hair. Like every Baratheon. All of Robert's bastards, male and female, have black hair. It doesn't matter what color hair her mom has, because in ASOIAF/GoT the Baratheon black hair trait is dominant 100% of the time.

She could still have black hair. She's only a kid. It's not unheard of that a kid's hair will change colors when they get older. In fact it happens quite often.

Blond hair tends to turn darker with age, and many children's blond hair turns light, medium, dark brown or black before or during their adult years. As blond hair tends to turn brunette with age, natural blonde hair is rare and makes up approximately 2% of the world's population.

Just because the trait is dominant doesn't necessarily mean that the kid will be born with a full head of black hair. It just means that there's a very high chance the hair will be black.

Hell, it could still be a possibility that Robert/Stannis could have carried a recessive blond hair gene and passed it on to one of their kids. There might be a blonde haired bastard running around for all we know.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
[Major ASOS]
Honestly can't wait for the RW to air, it's like the biggest shit in the show for a while and I can't imagine how many people are having it accidentally spoiled lately from random posts and news.

Did the writers of this show even pay attention when they made season one? The crux of the season one mystery, what gets Ned killed, is realizing that Cersei's blond children weren't Baratheon, because ALL Baratheons have black hair.

I give you Shireen Baratheon:

Shireen-Baratheon-game-of-thrones-34130769-240-188.jpg
Good point, heh. We can do some mental gymnastics to circumvent it but yeah, the thing is that they didn't think about it while coming up with the show's portrayal of Shireen. Thankfully she's a minor character but it's still an oversight that have been easily avoided and has to do with a plot point the show used.

Tacitus_

Trashers point is good enough for us to dismiss the goof in the show. My cousin had hair like this
25BcyvZ.jpg

when he was younger, but as he's in his teens, it's more dirty brown. Same with my brother.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Did the writers of this show even pay attention when they made season one? The crux of the season one mystery, what gets Ned killed, is realizing that Cersei's blond children weren't Baratheon, because ALL Baratheons have black hair.

lol I was explaining to a show watcher at work yesterday how the greyscale in the books is only on half of her cheek and a little bit of the neck.

She's cuter than she is described in the books definitely lol

"Shireen is regarded as a sweet child. She is not very pretty; she has blue eyes but inherited both her father's square, jutting jaw and her mother's large ears.The greyscale caused half of her left cheek and most of her neck to be covered in gray and black dead skin. She is nine years old."

Brashnir

Trashers point is good enough for us to dismiss the goof in the show. My cousin had hair like this
25BcyvZ.jpg

when he was younger, but as he's in his teens, it's more dirty brown. Same with my brother.

That's how my hair looked when I was a kid too. Starting around 7 or 8 it started getting darker. Now it's a very dark brown.

hoos30

Robert sperm > Stannis sperm, confirmed.

(PS: This is why Hollywood doesn't given us more sci-fi/fantasy...the fans are such nerds.)

ASOS
It is really shitty lol. Like they couldn't wait a couple more weeks to make it obvious that this actor won't be working his main role much longer.

Reyne

ASOS
Is Shireen going to be teaching Davos to read? How is he going to find the letter from the nights watch?

I assume Stannis will free Davos soon, name him hand and Davos will join in on Shireen's lesson with Maester Pylos. By next season, Davos will be as good a reader as any lord.

Lakitu

st5fu
I really can't wait to see (ASOS)
people's reaction to the Red Wedding.
Provided some idiot doesn't spoil it for non-book readers on here.

Eidan

It must frustrate you that the show is ran by such rank amateurs.

Shahadan

I really can't wait to see (ASOS)
people's reaction to the Red Wedding.
Provided some idiot doesn't spoil it for non-book readers on here.

Can't wait, especially after reading a lot of speculation in other threads/places :lol:
But I already wanna punch some people (and probably get life without parole) for constantly trying to bring it up without saying anything, while actually spoiling it for anyone with half of a brain.

I think I'll reactivate my facebook account just to see the poor souls cutting themselves.

ultron87

[series]
Stop even saying shit like "reactions to *spoiler* will be great!" outside of tags. God, this thread will be the fucking worst the day before that episode.

ezrarh

At this point, if you haven't read the books and still read this thread, you'd have to be stupid. I can gleam a lot of information from terribly constructed spoilers on here. Or even posts that forget to spoiler things.

kirblar

Shireen should have black hair. Like every Baratheon. All of Robert's bastards, male and female, have black hair. It doesn't matter what color hair her mom has, because in ASOIAF/GoT the Baratheon black hair trait is dominant 100% of the time.
Thought Gendry was brown?

Massa

In ASOIAF maybe, not in GoT.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
At this point, if you haven't read the books and still read this thread, you'd have to be stupid. I can gleam a lot of information from terribly constructed spoilers on here. Or even posts that forget to spoiler things.

Maybe spoilers for affc and adwd are important to keep hidden, but anyone who reads this thread and hasnt read asos cant blame anyone if they get spoiled on this season.

I think the idea is that non-readers who come into this page by mistake will see a wall of hidden text and run for the hills instead of seeing something by accident before realizing they're in the wrong thread.

Eidan

Maybe spoilers for affc and adwd are important to keep hidden, but anyone who reads this thread and hasnt read asos cant blame anyone if they get spoiled on this season.

Yes they can. For instance, they can blame you if you leave a spoiler unmarked.

I kind of agree there really isn't a good thread (that's being used) for folks who have read through most off the books but not all and watch the show. Before I finished AFFC and ADWD I stayed away from ALL GoT threads for fear of being spoiled. I was already spoiled with Ned by CNN oh so long ago (I will never forgive CNN for this) so I wouldn't let it happen again. If I saw any mention of the show or books anywhere I just stayed away.

ASOS
It is really shitty lol. Like they couldn't wait a couple more weeks to make it obvious that this actor won't be working his main role much longer.
Not really, because of how many characters there are, each actor doesn't have that crazy of a time commitment for shooting the show. They have time to do other things, and some of the cast has been.

That's awesome

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[series]
Stop even saying shit like "reactions to *spoiler* will be great!" outside of tags. God, this thread will be the fucking worst the day before that episode.

Series
I give the mods credit for trying, but its got to be difficult to police the forum when there's just so many members who are happy to constantly drop stupid little fucking vague references to future events as though the presence of spoiler tags or saying "spoiler" isn't a spoiler. Having a GOT spoiler tag in a casting decision thread about another work is going to lead any rational person to believe the person in question is dead. It's not rocket surgery.

Trasher

Yeah if I was a non book reader and I've been following this thread, I would suggest you stop doing so soon. I just don't want you to be spoiled! It's for your own good, friends!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Series
I give the mods credit for trying, but its got to be difficult to police the forum when there's just so many members who are happy to constantly drop stupid little fucking vague references to future events as though the presence of spoiler tags or saying "spoiler" isn't a spoiler. Having a GOT spoiler tag in a casting decision thread about another work is going to lead any rational person to believe the person in question is dead. It's not rocket surgery.

People do films in between TV series all the time, it's not that big a deal

Subitai

I think the idea is that non-readers who come into this page by mistake will see a wall of hidden text and run for the hills instead of seeing something by accident before realizing they're in the wrong thread.
Yes! The minefield! It is meant to be scary and intimidating.

ASoS
only a few more weeks for my avatar having relevance. :(

Whyte just didn't look as threatening. But to be fair the original actor got to rage the fuck out in his big scene. The Mountain was barely in Season 2 and when he was, he pretty much just fuckin' stared and pointed.

ASOS
With the material he will be getting in Season 4, he will have his chance to shine. I really liked the original casting choice but I will reserve judgment for The Mountain's pivotal scene.

dubq

Maybe he'd look fine with the Black Knight armor from S1. He just looked skinny with the Lannister armor.

Yeah the armor was just misplaced on him. I really wish they had used Clegane specific house armor for the brothers in the tv series.

Also RE: Stevens - that's interesting that he says in that blog post that HBO wanted to go in a different direction. Up until now, I had read that it was always "scheduling conflicts" due to him playing a role in the Hobbit.

hayguyz

Banned
Ian Whyte just looked tall, not threathening whatsoever. I recently watched the first seasons again, and the difference is jarring.

(Not as jarring as the growth of Bran actor, S2 child to suddenly an 18 yo in S3)

pr0cs

it was posted here before that Stevens was difficult to work with so that along with the Hobbit probably put the nail in the coffin regarding him continuing the role of Gregor.

Most of his posts on his blog have been pretty good/funny so it's surprising to hear that he was difficult to work with (no idea where people read that to be honest).

I suspect they'll give Whyte more appropriate costume treatment if they ask him back to reprise the role.

dubq

Did anyone else get a serious Christopher Lee vibe from Whyte's voice, though? Every time I hear it in season 2 all I can think of is Saruman.

I finally started reading the books last week, I'm on Storm of Swords a little ahead of the show.

I can finally chip in on the spoilers on the weigh in fully on my opinion of how this compares to the show!

Just wanted to say that.

Trasher

I dunno. I wonder if it was just the poor angles we had in season two of him. Maybe if we actually saw him in a scene like the jousting one from season one it would look better. Regardless, something was definitely off about him in season two.

(Sorry the image apparently doesn't work anymore. But there's one picture where he looks pretty ripped/big)

I also just found out that he played the engineer in Prometheus haha. I think that makes like four GoT actors that appear in that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom