• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

I liked the new Gregor, even though the old one was perfect casting. I blame the costume ppl for not putting him in the old armor from season 1. You can't expect nonbook readers to recognize the charachter if you have no sense of continuity. The new actor had a memorable voice, so I have faith that the show can deliver when it comes to his future appearances. Just don't forget the shoulder pads!

They can make it work. But I'd much rather have them wait until the end of Season 4. It deserves time to sink in and people need to realize that Lady Stoneheart is not 100% Catelyn Stark as she once was.

Yeah. [ASoS]
The thing with Stoneheart is that its NOT just resurrected Cat. Physically, Stoneheart is kind of horrifying to look at and mentally, she's not the same person Cat was in life. Its like Beric- you lose something when you're brought back and Cat was already losing it when she's killed and who knows what effect being resurrected has had on her, especially since she was dead for a while before being resurrected, right?

That's the catch with being resurrected in A Song of Ice and Fire- like all magic, it has a cost. Yes, you're "back to life" but physically you bear the marks of your death and mentally it seems to take something away from you. Its not some nice and happy thing.

I'm on board with UnCat as the last scene, fits the supernatural cliffhanger and restores a bit of Stark hope.

[ASoS/ ADwD]
I don't know about Stark hope. To me, UnCat's reveal was just kind of tragic and sad. She's not the same person she once was and is physically a mess, can barely speak, and is seemingly overwhelmed with vengeance. That seems like kind of a shitty existence. The stuff with Manderly and "The North Remembers" in ADwD is much more of an unadulterated "FUCK YEAH!" moment with respect to having some revenge for the Starks and the RW.

One question regarding [ASoS MAJOR spoilers]
the RW I was wondering about is how will they play the Rains of Castamere? Its just the instrumental version played in the books, right? What with the boom doom boom and all. Will they just take the instrumentals of the Rains of Castamere that they had the National play last season?

I liked the new Gregor, even though the old one was perfect casting. I blame the costume ppl for not putting him in the old armor from season 1. You can't expect nonbook readers to recognize the charachter if you have no sense of continuity. The new actor had a memorable voice, so I have faith that the show can deliver when it comes to his future appearances. Just don't forget the shoulder pads!

Yeah, shoulder pads and some bigger pauldrons would help. Make sure to give him his unique looking armor too. And the new actor needs a thicker neck too, or find some way to mask his. With Conan Stevens, you could tell that the guy was big just by looking at how beefy his neck was. Yet with Ian Whyte in season 2 his neck looked kind of scrawny in the armor which made him look scrawny overall. He just didn't have that crazy intensity that Conan Stevens had either. I always viewed Gregor as like a mad dog off his leash and season 2 Gregor just seemed mildly disinterested most of the time. Ian Whyte has a cool voice, I guess, but not really a voice I'd associate with Gregor, more like Saruman, like somebody said.

Conan has that insane look you expect from book Gregor. Seriously, he just feels perfect as Gregor Clegane. I really don't understand why HBO would replace him.
I think Gutshot said there were rumors about him being difficult to work with, and he was upset that some of the best shots from the Hand Tourney duel were cut. The Mountain didn't do anything in S2 so I can't imagine Conan was interested in returning; The Hobbit was a better career move.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_mmepeiy5f41qcqa3io4_r1_250.png

tumblr_mmepeiy5f41qcqa3io3_250.png

tumblr_mmbhogJpdh1qby403o5_250.gif

http://lipgallagher.tumblr.com/post/49165070134

FStop7

Banned
Series

Did Littlefinger sort of see what would happen by the poisoning of Jon Arryn? Did he do it to get Catelyn as he knew Robert would go to Ned to become the Hand of the King?

series

I have no doubt he knew that Robert Baratheon would reach out to Ned Stark. And LF further encouraged Ned by appealing to his sense of justice when he convinced Lysa to send the note to Cat that implicated the Lannisters in Jon Arryn's death.

And once Ned got to King's Landing it wasn't very difficult for Littlefinger to manipulate him, since Ned had zero common sense.

I don't think Littlefinger anticipated Bran's injury and the failed assassination attempt leading to Cat having Tyrion detained and the war that followed. But he made the best of it.

Didn't Kevin McKidd say he'd never do Game of Thrones? He's kind of a dick or something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Series

Did Littlefinger sort of see what would happen by the poisoning of Jon Arryn? Did he do it to get Catelyn as he knew Robert would go to Ned to become the Hand of the King?

series

I have no doubt he knew that Robert Baratheon would reach out to Ned Stark. And LF further encouraged Ned by appealing to his sense of justice when he convinced Lysa to send the note to Cat that implicated the Lannisters in Jon Arryn's death.

And once Ned got to King's Landing it wasn't very difficult for Littlefinger to manipulate him, since Ned had zero common sense.

I don't think Littlefinger anticipated Bran's injury and the failed assassination attempt leading to Cat having Tyrion detained and the war that followed. But he made the best of it.

Series
Again onto the whole Varys vs. littlefinger talk, I think Littlefigners plans have allowed far too much to chance. Robb capturing Jamie. Frey's betraying a sacred law to kill Robb. Trying to pass off Jeyne as Arya. There is so much that just happens, not as a result of his meddling. I won't be surprised in the end of Varys has let him run lose as part of his plan, because the kingdom in turmoil give greater chances of success to Danny's return (or Aegon).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Octavian from Rome might be good

octavian2fruzn.jpg

and Kevin McKidd for (ADWD)
Jon Connington
Ehhhh sorry I don't see it at all. Though I don't really have any ideas at the moment. But I'm sure Nina Gold will strike gold (har har) again.

as long as they cast Ray Stevenson as (AFFC/ADWD)
VICTARION FUCKING CREYJOY
, I'm happy.
Oh, that would rule. That is a great pick that I agree with.

Nah, Ron Perlman is perfect for the role.
Haha. Well, he's too old for [AFFC character, not really a spoiler]
Victarion
now. And he's American. But I recall GRRM saying that he often envisioned (the then-younger) Ron Perlman for The Hound back then. He also thought Kurtwood Smith would have been a good Tywin, which would have worked pretty well too (though he's American as well), but of course no one can top Charles Dance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Even in his prime, I don't think I could see Kurtwood Smith as Tywin. He's not subtle in his acting at all.

I think Pearlman could still play... that guy... quite well today.

Also, I unaware that the show had a "no americans" rule...

Magnus

Bummed I couldn't put this up earlier this week and be part of the usual, awesome post-ep conversation in here. It was a busy week. My thoughts (designed for non-book readers) and some photos from what was (in my opinion) a very memorable ep:

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.29.43-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.04.20-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.27.43-PM.png

I absolutely LOVED the way the camera flipped, right before Jon and Ygritte kissed, from showing us north of the wall, flipping to show us the south. It's a very noticeable jump, and my waste of a film degree has taught me to notice and appreciate such things, haha.

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.46.30-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.46.40-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.08.28-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-2.47.19-PM.png

Emilia is fucking /gameover

Has she broken up with Seth yet so I can make a run at her, get brutally rejected, and then kill myself?

Octavian from Rome might be good

octavian2fruzn.jpg

and Kevin McKidd for (ADWD)
Jon Connington
Uh, don't remind me of the recast Octavian.
Bolg apparently? I don't remember him haha.

Edit: Ah, probably because Bolg is the goblin leader in the Battle of the Five Armies. Man, I don't remember that book very well.

Isn't Bolg "The Pale Orc", which in the film they eventually decided to do as a full-CGI character instead of the above prosthetic/makeup?

So in that case Conan kind of got fucked over, I think he still probably get capture work for the CGI character, but still.

Series
Again onto the whole Varys vs. littlefinger talk, I think Littlefigners plans have allowed far too much to chance. Robb capturing Jamie. Frey's betraying a sacred law to kill Robb. Trying to pass off Jeyne as Arya. There is so much that just happens, not as a result of his meddling. I won't be surprised in the end of Varys has let him run lose as part of his plan, because the kingdom in turmoil give greater chances of success to Danny's return (or Aegon).

I feel like LF's original plan was to just get Cat...everything else is just him trying to take advantage of the Chaos

-griffy-

Banned
Isn't Bolg "The Pale Orc", which in the film they eventually decided to do as a full-CGI character instead of the above prosthetic/makeup?

So in that case Conan kind of got fucked over, I think he still probably get capture work for the CGI character, but still.
No, we haven't seen Bolg yet in the film series. I believe we'll be introduced to him in film 2.

kirblar

Re: the close of the season
Arya/Beric's conversation about Ned almost certainly has to set up the resurrection to close the season. It's expecting too much of the audience to ask them to remember it a year from now.

Trasher

The Pale Orc is Azog. Bolg is Azog's son. Azog has a different actor according to IMDB. I remember hearing a long time ago that Conan was going to be Azog, but maybe it was just a rumor back then. The actor that plays Azog is only 5 10 while Conan is 7 1 haha.

No, we haven't seen Bolg yet in the film series. I believe we'll be introduced to him in film 2.

The Pale Orc is Azog. Bolg is Azog's son. Azog has a different actor according to IMDB. I remember hearing a long time ago that Conan was going to be Azog, but maybe it was just a rumor back then. The actor that plays Azog is only 5 10 while Conan is 7 1 haha.

Alright thanks guys.

Looking forward to seeing him in the next film then.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Azog was played by Manu Bennett!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom