• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally started reading the books last week, I'm on Storm of Swords a little ahead of the show.

I can finally chip in on the spoilers on the weigh in fully on my opinion of how this compares to the show!

Just wanted to say that.

For your own sake, be very very careful with reading tagged spoilers until you finish the book.

dubq

Yeah that black armor he has on in the scene where Tywin is leaving Harrenhal looks much better than the standard Lannister armor he has on earlier in season 2, before/just after Tywin arrives.

I finally started reading the books last week, I'm on Storm of Swords a little ahead of the show.

I can finally chip in on the spoilers on the weigh in fully on my opinion of how this compares to the show!

Just wanted to say that.

Yeah, DON'T highlight them yet. For real, don't. It's all stuff you haven't read yet under those bars.

FStop7

Banned
Interesting conversation about Littlefinger happening in the non-book thread...

Series
They're just starting to realize what Littlefinger really is. Just wait until they discover that Littlefinger is the one who set this entire saga in motion by compelling Lysa Arryn to poison her husband, which led to Robert Baratheon traveling to Winterfell to recruit Ned as his new Hand, which led to, etc, etc. It's all Littlefinger's play.

Series
They're just starting to realize what Littlefinger really is. Just wait until they discover that Littlefinger is the one who set this entire saga in motion by compelling Lysa Arryn to poison her husband, which led to Robert Baratheon traveling to Winterfell to recruit Ned as the new Hand, which led to, etc, etc. It's all Littlefinger's play.

ASOS
Such a brilliant reveal in the book and they're doing a really good job of building it up in the show. The reactions to the last episode in that thread are evident of that. The "chaos is a ladder" speech was a really great addition and a really intense moment.

People keep wondering how they are going to close out this season and are expecting stuff like the Lady Stoneheart reveal or were earlier thinking they would advance the Purple Wedding into Season 3 to "give the viewers some hope." I don't think that's going to happen at all, I think that moment in the last episode is an indication that they're going to leave everything in chaos at the end of the season. It's going to be awesome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jbr6ttxwXkrPJY.png

Pad his shoulders a bit and put the pauldrons on. He'd look fine.

ETA: A bigger beard would be nice.

Its not just the muscles. He just looks confused and squinty as opposed to insanely violent and crazy.

Dawg

Conan has that insane look you expect from book Gregor. Seriously, he just feels perfect as Gregor Clegane. I really don't understand why HBO would replace him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't blame HBO, big huge burly guys who can act are tough to come by. I'd rather a good actor, than one that just looks the part. And Conan decided he'd rather do "The Hobbit" than Game of Thrones.

I kind of agree there really isn't a good thread (that's being used) for folks who have read through most off the books but not all and watch the show. Before I finished AFFC and ADWD I stayed away from ALL GoT threads for fear of being spoiled. I was already spoiled with Ned by CNN oh so long ago (I will never forgive CNN for this) so I wouldn't let it happen again. If I saw any mention of the show or books anywhere I just stayed away.

To be fair, Ned's casting was a spoiler. I was thankful to get through the first book with no knowledge of the show's casting.

Fey

Banned
Conan has that insane look you expect from book Gregor. Seriously, he just feels perfect as Gregor Clegane.

Yeah, he just looks insanely intimidating. Like, if I came across him alone, I'd be like, "... shit."

I had no idea that other guy was Gregor when I saw that scene with him in season 2 (and I knew the original actor was replaced). I was completely shocked to find out that that was supposed to be Gregor. He looked like just another Lannister knight/general/etc.

But I'm sure HBO did their best. The casting for the show has been pretty great so far so I'm sure they got the best guy they could find.

-griffy-

Banned
Did he really? I thought it was unclear why he was no longer employed by HBO...
Yeah, it seems HBO cites scheduling conflicts and he says they just decided to go a different direction. So who knows. People can beg for an actor to come back but with the reality of what goes into a production I'm sure they have good reasons for why a different actor is playing Gregor in season 2.

Series
They're just starting to realize what Littlefinger really is. Just wait until they discover that Littlefinger is the one who set this entire saga in motion by compelling Lysa Arryn to poison her husband, which led to Robert Baratheon traveling to Winterfell to recruit Ned as his new Hand, which led to, etc, etc. It's all Littlefinger's play.

Series

Did Littlefinger sort of see what would happen by the poisoning of Jon Arryn? Did he do it to get Catelyn as he knew Robert would go to Ned to become the Hand of the King?

Series

Did Littlefinger sort of see what would happen by the poisoning of Jon Arryn? Did he do it to get Catelyn as he knew Robert would go to Ned to become the Hand of the King?

Series

Jon Arryn was a stabilizing force for the kingdom. Littlefinger couldn't gain any more power with everything being pretty much locked in place. So he shook it up.

He didn't just have Jon Arryn poisoned, he had Lysa send a message to Cat about how Jon was poisoned by the Lannisters. Because he wanted Ned in KL, knowing that Ned would eventually find out about the incest and that would set the stages for a Wolf/Lion conflict.

Two things; I agree that the original actor for Gregor Clegane was ten times better than the second. Honestly, The Hound is more physically imposing and intimidating than S2 Gregor, which should not be the case. Gregor's nickname is The Mountain for God's sake.

Second, in reference to Shireen Baratheon...Stannis' wife has a mustache. She might have some uber-dominant mutant genes that she's passing on.

Yeah, he just looks insanely intimidating. Like, if I came across him alone, I'd be like, "... shit."

I had no idea that other guy was Gregor when I saw that scene with him in season 2 (and I knew the original actor was replaced). I was completely shocked to find out that that was supposed to be Gregor. He looked like just another Lannister knight/general/etc.

But I'm sure HBO did their best. The casting for the show has been pretty great so far so I'm sure they got the best guy they could find.

I wouldn't be so sure. Ian Whyte is just a tall guy who hangs around. I think they went for scale over acting his other roles in the show have been the white walker in the first episode and the giant at mances camp. A quick look over his IMDB seems he has mainly been cast in little to no speaking roles and just as a tall guy.

aceface

He didn't just have Jon Arryn poisoned, he had Lysa send a message to Cat about how Jon was poisoned by the Lannisters. Because he wanted Ned in KL, knowing that Ned would eventually find out about the incest and that would set the stages for a Wolf/Lion conflict.

You know, in the books I never found Littlefinger that threatening. He just seems harmless, I mean I know the bad stuff he did but he always just seemed like a bit of a creeper dweeb. But when you put down in writing the stuff he did, it's really bad. The show makes him much more of an overt villain...dunno if that's really necessary but I don't have a major beef with it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wouldn't be so sure. Ian Whyte is just a tall guy who hangs around. I think they went for scale over acting his other roles in the show have been the white walker in the first episode and the giant at mances camp. A quick look over his IMDB seems he has mainly been cast in little to no speaking roles and just as a tall guy.

Series
Well, how many more lines can we honestly expect to get from him until the back half of season 4?

You know, in the books I never found Littlefinger that threatening. He just seems harmless, I mean I know the bad stuff he did but he always just seemed like a bit of a creeper dweeb. But when you put down in writing the stuff he did, it's really bad. The show makes him much more of an overt villain...dunno if that's really necessary but I don't have a major beef with it.

I still think Varys makes Littlefinger look like an amateur.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think it's more that Littlefinger is more short sighted in his scheming. Varys seems to have much more long-term plan.

series
Littlefinger giving control of the North to the Boltons via "Arya" shows this. Putting a nutcase, with a bigger nutcase for a son in charge. Even if he plans to reveal Sansa at some point.

brentech

Because the mountain is known for his lengthy speaking parts in the books.... :eyeroll

Did the writers of this show even pay attention when they made season one? The crux of the season one mystery, what gets Ned killed, is realizing that Cersei's blond children weren't Baratheon, because ALL Baratheons have black hair.

I give you Shireen Baratheon:

Shireen-Baratheon-game-of-thrones-34130769-240-188.jpg

ACOK/ASOS
I guess the rumors of selyse and patchface were true.

Yep. It feels as if Littlefinger is playing catchup to get on Varys' level

They have different objectives in mind. Varys is for the realm is and is held in check by that. He's indebted to that goal. Littlefinger is all about social climbing and gaining power. He will destroy everything in his path to get that and he won't blink.

cj_iwakura

They have different objectives in mind. Varys is for the realm is and is held in check by that. He's indebted to that goal. Littlefinger is all about social climbing and gaining power. He will destroy everything in his path to get that and he won't blink.

Varys is far from being a saint, though.

ADWD
shows he's willing to kill perfectly good people towards 'the greater good' whatever that means.

Vary has children purchased and have their tongues cut off so they can spy for him.

Varys is a lot preferable to LF, but he is in many ways a very dark character as well.

Subitai

(ASoS)
So if zombie cat does come out this season, you guys won't go ape-poop will you? It isn't ideal, but that's one of the prices to pay for splitting up the book. I'd just chalk it up to the difference between show vs book and look forward to the delicious purple wedding.

(ASoS)
So if zombie cat does come out this season, you guys won't go ape-poop will you? It isn't ideal, but that's one of the prices to pay for splitting up the book. I'd just chalk it up to the difference between show vs book and look forward to the delicious purple wedding.

They can make it work. But I'd much rather have them wait until the end of Season 4. It deserves time to sink in and people need to realize that Lady Stoneheart is not 100% Catelyn Stark as she once was.

ASOS
The solution here is to have Cat revived in the last scene of the series, but end on her doing something totally unlike the character as we knew her. Ruthlessly murder someone, just to highlight that Cat's gone and Lady Stoneheart's in her place.

ASOS
The solution here is to have Cat revived in the last scene of the series, but end on her doing something totally unlike the character as we knew her. Ruthlessly murder someone, just to highlight that Cat's gone and Lady Stoneheart's in her place.

Yeah, and we get that across a little bit in her debut scene in the book but they can take it further. I just think it needs time to sink in. It would really, really ruin the impact IMO if they kill Cat in episode 9, then in the end of episode 10 Stoneheart shows up. It would also screw up a lot of the pacing with what happens to The Brotherhood and Beric.

Tacitus_

Eh, I definitely found him threatening after (minor series)
they revealed how deep his fingers went.
. I think they should've saved that ladder speech to the next season.

Eidan

With all the bitching and moaning about the changes from the book to the show, I'm surprised I haven't heard more people complain about what is, to me, the most egregious change.

ASOS
The first thing a virgin Jon Snow does is decide to eat Ygritte out? What virgin goes downstairs as the first act, before he puts a teat in his mouth, or even whips out Lil Snow?

It's highly unrealistic.

AndyD

aka andydumi
With all the bitching and moaning about the changes from the book to the show, I'm surprised I haven't heard more people complain about what is, to me, the most egregious change.

ASOS
The first thing a virgin Jon Snow does is decide to eat Ygritte out? What virgin goes downstairs as the first act, before he puts a teat in his mouth, or even whips out Lil Snow?

It's highly unrealistic.

LOL, but so true.

I did want to ask, I just saw Sunday's episode. The scene after the big speech, the "shocking" one, that was not in the book was it? I don't remember anything like that.

Dysun

I'm on board with UnCat as the last scene, fits the supernatural cliffhanger and restores a bit of Stark hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom