• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
I was looking at the clock so I knew the bear scene wouldn't be long. I'm honestly surprised it was that good.

What the hell was so special about those two lines? I'd rather have Jaime's confrontation with Locke in the show than Jaime's weak dialogue with Hoat. It was more dramatic with Locke and makes Jaime look like more of a badass.

Hoat actually pulled them out of the pit in the book. It was so much better the way they did it in the show. There's no question about it.

Another terrific episode. I thought last week was the best episode of the season. This one is right behind it.

One of the best of the season. Motivations were made clear, characters actually had personality. Only disappointing part was the bear pit. :(

Yep, that's the reason I'd put the episode way above 4 and 5. Everything was made clear. There was a reason (a non-confusing reason for non-book readers) to care about everyone and everything going on. Except I thought the bear pit was the best part of the episode..

LordCanti

Well...wow. They've cut through multiple seasons with (ADWD)
confirming that Robb's bride is pregnant. That's not even confirmed in the books yet, is it? It's not like they can say "Whoops, nevermind!" if GRRM didn't want her to be pregnant so.....shit...

I can't remember if it was like that in the books or not, but I dislike (not sure which book; probably AFFC)
how obvious Jon's allegiances are.
Nor do I like
Gendry's current situation.
The standout bits of the episode for me were the scenes in Yunkai (Emilia is nailing it this season) and the weakest were the scenes with Theon.

This show is going to roll over and die after season 5... Too much build up in order to make the ending seasons go out in a bang while being so damn boring. How the hell will they make book 4 interesting for people? good lord

Combine with 5, split in half, profit

UraMallas

I much prefer the lines used in the book in this instance. I like to separate the two but even one of the three lines would've been better than any of the lines used.

I don't typically book-whine,though, and I know how grating that can be so I'll just leave it at I think they could've done the bear pit scene better.

Levi

Banned
GRRM doing the heavy lifting trying to give characters actual motivations for their actions and personalities that don't come from the big book of stereotypes and tropes, but even he couldn't right the ship. There was a lot of good this episode, but when do I ever focus on the positive? Hated the Talisa scene. Started out okay with them finally starting to build up who Lord Frey, but was ruined by the letter (book to screen change speculation)
seriously they're making her a Lannister spy? SERIOUSLY? They cut the Westerlings for this shit?
Hated the Theon scene. One episodes worth of material stretched to an entire season, it is tiresome. Theon's arc was the best part of season two and the worst part of season three so far.

GRRM did his best to rehabilitate the Brotherhood, but a few lines of dialog isn't enough to make up for them selling Gendry. Still, Arya was awesome this episode. Preview gives me hope for her interactions with the Hound.

I'm indifferent to what they've done with Gendry. It makes sense to use the bastard we already know about, rather than introduce a new one.

The one line I was looking forward to seeing performed on screen was ASOS
Jamie Lannister sends his regards.
I was waiting for its ironic precursor this episode, and the alteration in this episode points to it not being included in a future episode. Doesn't bode well for this season's denouement.

Fey

Banned
Hated the Talisa scene. Started out okay with them finally starting to build up who Lord Frey, but was ruined by the letter
seriously they're making her a Lannister spy? SERIOUSLY? They cut the Westerlings for this shit?

whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa

whoa

what?

UraMallas

The one line I was looking forward to seeing performed on screen was ASOS
Jamie Lannister sends his regards.
I was waiting for its ironic precursor this episode, and the alteration in this episode points to it not being included in a future episode. Doesn't bode well for this season's denouement.

Disagree. ASOS
My guess is they change it to exactly what he said; "The Lannisters send their regards". That way there is no confusion at a crucial time in Jaime's face turn development. I don't LOVE the idea but it works.

I really enjoy Tywin waay more in the show than in the book. Mostly because of the Actor who plays him.

Charles Dance is so awesome and menacing in this show, he doesn't even need to say anything to get his point across.

I love the complaints of book changes in an episode written by GRRM.

I do wonder though what specific scenes were actually written by GRRM. We know they end up shuffling scenes around so that certain episodes can have scenes from other writers who aren't necessarily credited.

whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa

whoa

what?

[ASoS/Show Speculation]
Yeah, I really hope they don't do that. This season for me hinges on how well they nail the RW. Tossing in some goofy subplot that Talisa was secretly a Lannister spy would just be obscenely stupid beyond words.

zychi

Banned
My friend literally just texted me, "Why does this season seem like its going to end all happy? Everyone is getting married and having kids."

I just replied: LO fucking l

There was a pit..and a bear. Jaime was heroic, all boxes ticked.

I don't know what people were expecting? It seemed fine to me.

I feel like the whole thing happened too quickly for it to have much emotional impact. I was expecting something closer to this scene from Rome season 1 - http://youtu.be/pj8yq_urL5c

That scene needed more time to build up to Jaime jumping in the pit. And a better shot of him jumping in would have helped too. Everything after he jumped in was fine, though.

But then again him jumping in there right away instead of being conflicted about it is awesome. It just felt really awkward to me

UraMallas

I love the complaints of book changes in an episode written by GRRM.
For me, personally, I don't usually complain. Really, it wasn't a major complain.

Two things, though. It's not as if GRRM can do no wrong in an adaptation of his own material. And, he didn't write the scene that is drawing the mist ire in here.

Altazor

I was, uh... disappointed that none of Jaime's lines during the bear pit scene actually appeared on the episode.

I didn't LOVE the episode either, felt a bit messy, too many storylines crammed in a single episode. And I know it was written by GRRM, btu still. I dunno. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations.

Still it wasn't bad, imho. The Jon/Ygritte moments were great, so was Jaime/Brienne (save for the absence of them lines and for the bear pit scene being too short). Gotta love Tywin's presence, he just oozes power.

EDIT: also, TORMUND FINALLY BEHAVING LIKE TORMUND. YES. HAR!

Sai-kun

Banned
I need a screencap of Dany petting a dragon with the captions on. I was fucking rolling when she was doing that and then at the bottom it reads "(purring)"

Levi

Banned
Disagree. ASOS
My guess is they change it to exactly what he said; "The Lannisters send their regards". That way there is no confusion at a crucial time in Jaime's face turn development. I don't LOVE the idea but it works.

Yes, but Jamie didn't know the context his regards would be given. That's why it's ironic when it happens, and it's a crucial part of SERIES
Stoneheart's motivation and interactions with Brienne. Stoneheart thinks Jamie helped plan the red wedding. Brienne knows Jamie did not, and means to keep his oath to return Sansa even after the rw, but Stoneheart won't believe her because of that specific line.

Ugh.

UraMallas

There is nothing that changes at all with that. I do understand the want to have lines from the book exacted on screen to great effect - I had my complaint about the bear scene - but in the end it is quite inconsequential in both cases. That motivation won't change.

Credo

"....Hodor."

Best line of the episode.

Same here. I imagine that utterance of "Hodor" translated to, "And you expect me to respond? Are you daft?" I cracked up when he said it.

And my sound of the episode has to be the cockblock horn blow from the Theon scenes. I expected it to happen, and I still lost it when I heard it.

I dont understand why they couldn't still use that line though

ASOS
I don't see why it matters that he said "The Lannisters send their regards" instead of "So long as you give mine to Robb Stark." They can still have him say "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" because there really isnt much difference there

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
[ASoS/Show Speculation]
Yeah, I really hope they don't do that. This season for me hinges on how well they nail the RW. Tossing in some goofy subplot that Talisa was secretly a Lannister spy would just be obscenely stupid beyond words.

It's not going to happen. The writers aren't that good.

ultron87

Series:
You all are awful at spoiler tags. Anyone with an ounce of critical thinking can decipher your amazing puzzles.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
For me, personally, I don't usually complain. Really, it wasn't a major complain.

Two things, though. It's not as if GRRM can do no wrong in an adaptation of his own material. And, he didn't write the scene that is drawing the mist ire in here.

I would argue that GRRM is above criticism for an adaptation of his own material.

You can criticize his writing in the books, his writing on the show, whatever. But the actual process of adaptation, nobody would have a more final say in what is more valuable to adapt than GRRM does.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
series
It'd be stupid if she's pregnant. Wouldn't it be obvious if she was pregnant by the time the the Red Wedding happened.

Levi

Banned
Tyrion/Bronn was fun. Tyrion/Shae was also good. I hope we see that gold chain again. The Dany scene was perfect, and the dragons were awesome. Really worried about what they do with Dany next season... but this season has been good to her.

Talisa isnt a book character, so her being pregnant probably means nothing to the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom